Cardinals release WR DeAndre Hopkins (trade still possible)

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

dplank
Hall of Famer

wow, one of the best WR's in the game on the market. If I'm the Ravens, this is the move I make.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I'm confused.
They're eating plenty of money to let him go.
So they have to have been willing to eat plenty of his contract in a trade.
And, even with AZ eating a lot of his contract, no one was interested in trading for him?
Huh?
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We still have $32M in cap space.

Just putting that out there. Think of having starting WRs of Moore, Hopkins, and then a mix of Mooney / Claypool / Scott.

Mooney is not a real #1 so who cares if he leaves or there's no room for him next year.

Claypool is a sunk cost with that pick. What's done is done. Let Claypool and Scott compete for the #3 spot and rotate them as needed.

It's not like Poles is spending that money on DE any time soon.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:30 pm I'm confused.
They're eating plenty of money to let him go.
So they have to have been willing to eat plenty of his contract in a trade.
And, even with AZ eating a lot of his contract, no one was interested in trading for him?
Huh?
If you're a "Super Bowl" team and you want him, why would you try and get him on the open market rather than trade for him? Sure he is due $22M this year, but any contract he signs is likely to give him more guaranteed money than that (granted you get more years, but the average per year would be close). If you want the guy at this point say - here's a 7th round pick and we'll eat half the money. You get him for $11M and a 7th round pick?!?!? Done.

Understand I'm saying this for a team like Buffalo, KC or Philly. Teams that everyone feels will be in the running. He's a huge asset to a team like that.

If I'm running the Bears, I make an offer like that but tell AZ they are eating 90% of his salary. See what happens in this year. Mooney or Claypool is likely going to get next to nothing as far as playing time goes, until Hopkins gets hurt and they have to step up.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I forgot to add that I hope someone other than the Jets trade for him.

He's said he wants to go to a team that has a stable front office (maybe not a strong suit of the Jets, but for 2 years, sure), a great QB (always hate saying this but that asshat they have at QB is that) and a strong defense (they have that).

Overall I don't think the Jets are team I think can make it to the Super Bowl right now, but if he goes there??? Maybe. I don't want them to win so long as Rodger is there.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:38 pm wow, one of the best WR's in the game on the market. If I'm the Ravens, this is the move I make.
One of the best WR in the game a couple seasons ago, before injury and north of 30 with a known history of not wanting to practice or block.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Too expand, 30 years old, soon to the 31. Coming off injury & suspension marred seasons of 572 & 717 yards respectively. Torn MCL, Hamstring issues and a balky knee from MCL and previous injuries. Suspended 6 games, which means it wasn't his first pop hot, the next one could be a season.

This screams of aging, large bodied receiver breaking down fast, popping PED's to try to regain what is lost to me.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m not arguing we should sign Hopkins (I was before we got Moore, but now there’s no need IMO). But this sentiment that a 30 year old player is useless is just awful IMO. He’s one year older than Stefan Diggs and Tyreke Hill people, wtf

Seems like half the board sees age 30 and treats it as if it’s a non starter to a conversation. Really odd to me. He will be an elite player for 3 more years, so maybe you keep the contract a bit shorter but age is irrelevant beyond the contract term date IMO.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He's looking to play for a contender for perhaps the first time in his career. I figure Buffalo and KC would be his first 2 choices.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:04 am He's looking to play for a contender for perhaps the first time in his career. I figure Buffalo and KC would be his first 2 choices.
Yea, or Baltimore.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:09 am I’m not arguing we should sign Hopkins (I was before we got Moore, but now there’s no need IMO). But this sentiment that a 30 year old player is useless is just awful IMO. He’s one year older than Stefan Diggs and Tyreke Hill people, wtf

Seems like half the board sees age 30 and treats it as if it’s a non starter to a conversation. Really odd to me. He will be an elite player for 3 more years, so maybe you keep the contract a bit shorter but age is irrelevant beyond the contract term date IMO.
Who said anything like that dplank? The only person who's mentioned his age is southdakbearfan and that was in the context of a catalogue of reasons why Hopkins might not be a good signing including recent injury history, suspensions and attitude. Any team considering signing him will have to factor all these into their decision.

In terms of conversations about signings, when it comes to the Bears age is certainly more of a factor now than it has been in the past simply because Poles has stripped the roster down and is currently building it back up. Now is the time in the roster cycle when it makes sense for the Bears to sign younger players. Once that longer-term foundation is in place I don't think board members will object to signing proven players in their early thirties who have the potential to benefit the team.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Ravens made their big splash with Mustipher - they have to be out
dplank
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 11:40 am
dplank wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 7:09 am I’m not arguing we should sign Hopkins (I was before we got Moore, but now there’s no need IMO). But this sentiment that a 30 year old player is useless is just awful IMO. He’s one year older than Stefan Diggs and Tyreke Hill people, wtf

Who said anything like that dplank? The only person who's mentioned his age is southdakbearfan and that was in the context of a catalogue of reasons why Hopkins might not be a good signing including recent injury history, suspensions and attitude. Any team considering signing him will have to factor all these into their decision.

In terms of conversations about signings, when it comes to the Bears age is certainly more of a factor now than it has been in the past simply because Poles has stripped the roster down and is currently building it back up. Now is the time in the roster cycle when it makes sense for the Bears to sign younger players. Once that longer-term foundation is in place I don't think board members will object to signing proven players in their early thirties who have the potential to benefit the team.
It’s been said dozens of times by dozens of posters over dozens of threads over the last couple of years. If it doesn’t ring a bell, might I suggest Prevagen?

It’s a general critique of a popular board sentiment that I disagree with and I’m choosing the latest iteration to point it out again.

My view is age is relevant in relation to the contract itself, and forecasting beyond the contract is foolish because there’s no certainty past it’s expiration date.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

30+ with multiple injuries the past two seasons with significant missed time is a lot different than 30+ and not.

With Hopkins size and build, I believe he is the type that may have dropped or starting to drop off a cliff. Add in the most recent suspension and practice reputation I would say no thanks even if Moore wasn’t here.
dplank
Hall of Famer

OK - but fyi he's also just 6'1 and with a slight build. A "large bodied WR" he is not, dude is just an ultra competitor/baller. The injury history, attitude, and recent suspensions definitely give me pause as well, but if we didn't have Moore I'd be pounding the table for him. I'd just want to factor those issues into his contract. It's certainly possible he doesn't have any great football left in him, but he's such a great competitor I feel like he still has another run. Agree to disagree on that I suppose.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If'n the Bears hadn't acquired D.J., I'd be screaming for the Bears to back up the truck because they needed a primo receiver. Now, not so much, especially if Mooney has made a complete recovery. Use money elsewhere - i.e. a DE who eats QBs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, even if it's only a 1 year contract, age is not a factor.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.