Front office has faith in Jenkins - maybe

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So I was reading this:

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/ ... is-wright/

Jenkins views this is a "prove it" year and has faith he will do more than that and be dominate. But the interesting part was “And for me, for this year, I’m expecting big things out of myself and so are the people in the front office and everybody around me.”

I know many here have questioned how much Poles and his people believe in him, but maybe they do.

I'm pretty fired up about the status of our OL going into the year. If somehow a guy like Krammer or Eislan can grab hold of the starting job at center, that would provide the icing on the cake. When was the last time we felt "good" about all five starters on the OL?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I definitely feel Jenkins can hold down the LG spot and turn it into a strength if he is able to be relatively injury free. If the C position pans out, the middle of the line will be stout. Jenkins should help Braxton also. Davis is making $7M this year and $11M the next 2 years and he's not even in the top 10 of pay for guards. So, if Jenkins does really well, will the Bears extend him late in the season, during the offseason, or wait until his 4th year in 2024?
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I don't think we should treat quotes as gospel or proof of much in a situation like this
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:05 pm I don't think we should treat quotes as gospel or proof of much in a situation like this
"I expect a lot from myself, and so do my coaches."

This is huge if true
RichH55
Hall of Famer

RustinFields wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:40 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:05 pm I don't think we should treat quotes as gospel or proof of much in a situation like this

This is huge if true
If he can just take it one day at a time - Good Lord willing - the sky's the limit
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:55 am
RustinFields wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:40 pm

This is huge if true
If he can just take it one day at a time - Good Lord willing - the sky's the limit

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 1:01 pm So I was reading this:

Jenkins views this is a "prove it" year and has faith he will do more than that and be dominate. But the interesting part was “And for me, for this year, I’m expecting big things out of myself and so are the people in the front office and everybody around me.”

I know many here have questioned how much Poles and his people believe in him, but maybe they do.

I'm pretty fired up about the status of our OL going into the year. If somehow a guy like Krammer or Eislan can grab hold of the starting job at center, that would provide the icing on the cake. When was the last time we felt "good" about all five starters on the OL?
Sorry AB, but I have to cringe every time someone says "Fired up". Ryan Pace got "Fired up" after every boneheaded move and of course, he got "Fired up" about Kevin White every year. Until he would trip over a blade of grass and get an Owwie that would land him on IR. To me, saying "Fired up" is asking the fates to strike you down!

Sorry, had to say it. :shocked:
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
dplank
Hall of Famer

Shadow wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:37 am

Sorry AB, but I have to cringe every time someone says "Fired up". Ryan Pace got "Fired up" after every boneheaded move and of course, he got "Fired up" about Kevin White every year. Until he would trip over a blade of grass and get an Owwie that would land him on IR. To me, saying "Fired up" is asking the fates to strike you down!

I’m fired up about Jordan Love. That work?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I get the point you and @RichH55 are making. But as @RustinFields points out it appears the coaches have expressed to him they have faith in. Talk behind closed doors Carrie’s for weight IMO. I think many here have worried about how they viewed him and maybe this shows they think he can be part of this team.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Deep thought by Jack Handy for anyone who has hated on Jenkins “attitude problem” in the past:

If you believed the old unsubstantiated reporting that the coaches and GM didn’t like Jenkins attitude, then you should also believe the current unsubstantiated reporting that coaches now have a lot of faith in him.

Personally, I believe there are shades of truth in both, but it was all very much blown out of proportion. Writers gotta get clicks in the offseason sorta stuff mostly.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:22 am

I get the point you and @RichH55 are making. But as @RustinFields points out it appears the coaches have expressed to him they have faith in. Talk behind closed doors Carrie’s for weight IMO. I think many here have worried about how they viewed him and maybe this shows they think he can be part of this team.
Ark - pretty clear they didn't see him as a Tackle like he did - And one of the bigger $ wise was a Guard (at his exact position). Whitehair they appear to be moving to Center - but he's still on the roster and could be that LG too And no extention for Jenkins either (as of yet). They could have faith in him - could love him as a player - In practice - so far - they have certainly hedged their bet
Shadow
Assistant Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:22 am

I have no issue with Jenkins getting with the team program, Ryan Pace just ruined the term "Fired up!" for me. Most likely forever. Though I may have it engraved on my Tombstone. But that is an entirely different story.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I think the Jenkins Feud or whatever this is or was between the coaching staff and him is one of the dumber storylines I've seen as a Bears fan.

The guy was a stone cold killer in college.
He comes here and gets caught up in the transition from McNagy to Flus.
The transition didn't go smoothly because of his weight and position changes. What did they expect?

How about instead the front office and coaching staff realize that, when healthy, Jenkins is a solid prospect at a minimum and a potential Pro Bowler at a maximum.

Work with the guy to improve and to evolve.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:31 pm I think the Jenkins Feud or whatever this is or was between the coaching staff and him is one of the dumber storylines I've seen as a Bears fan.

The transition didn't go smoothly because of his weight and position changes. What did they expect?

How about instead the front office and coaching staff realize that, when healthy, Jenkins is a solid prospect at a minimum and a potential Pro Bowler at a maximum.

There were people actually arguing we should have traded or even cut him last year. Epic bad IMO.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:47 pm And no extention for Jenkins either (as of yet).
He's only been in the league 2 seasons, so that's a non-factor. He won't be eligible for an extension until after this coming season.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:31 pm I think the Jenkins Feud or whatever this is or was between the coaching staff and him is one of the dumber storylines I've seen as a Bears fan.

Personally the “feud” was overblown IMO. More message board nonsense than any actual substance to it. He was an injured player that had to make it on.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m really looking forward to him having a full offseason and camp at one position. I’d love to see him and Jones manning the left side for a nice 7-8 year run.
wab
Mod

I'm still not sold, but time will tell.
Shadow
Assistant Coach

I too am not sold. Many young draft picks from previous regimes do not make the transition to the new one. Simple as that. Buying in to the new philosophy, scheme, attitude. Doesn't always jive or match what the new bosses want to see. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. All Tevin can do is try to make it work. He had a questionable work ethic in college according to his coach there. So only time will tell. I am rooting for him to be a Bear.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:51 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 12:47 pm And no extention for Jenkins either (as of yet).
He's only been in the league 2 seasons, so that's a non-factor. He won't be eligible for an extension until after this coming season.
Damnit

Excellent, excellent counter point
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

RichH55 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:14 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 2:51 pm

Damnit

Excellent, excellent counter point
:rofl: :rofl:
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.