The Great BFO Food, Recipe, & Eating Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

gaba
Head Coach

That's f*&king cool. Hell, it's still be cool without all the little twinkie cars and vienna sausage football players. Just the stadium part full of snacks would be pretty awesome.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

[youtube][/youtube]
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Yum. Wish I had bacon. Might have to walk to the store.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

was gifted with more yummy venison chorizo from a co-worker ... so of course used it to make spicy sausage gravy ... I combined it with the savory sage pork sausage from Bob Evans ... and the 2 went together perfectly

fresh biscuits, some soft scrambled eggs, and joila ... perfect weekend breakfast
George Carlin
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

time to revive again.
UOK
Site Admin

I had some b/g at a local Pancake House of all places - and not bad!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I had what was touted as the seafood version ... it was a lobster gravy served over shortbread biscuits ... nice gravy, and nice chunks of lobster

but I recommended to the place they find a different name than "seafood biscuits and gravy", because though it tasted ok, it just wasn't right ... and I doubt I would ever have a taste for it as a breakfast item (this wasn't - a lunch item only) as I do REAL biscuits and gravy
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

On a food tanget, I had the opportunity to go to a Cheescake Factory for the first time and I have to say, those guys know how to make a mother#@#$ cheesecake. The difference between their cheescake and ones you'd just pick up at a grocery store was amazing. And even more shocking was that their coffee was excellent. Often restaurants are the last place you'd go for a good cup of joe but theirs was as good as any you'd buy at a coffee shop.

Speaking of that, anyone else a coffee lover? If so, what's your brewing method?

I recently bought an Aerobie AeroPress after hearing great reviews about it but still haven't been able to get a decent cup out of it.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote:Speaking of that, anyone else a coffee lover? If so, what's your brewing method?

I recently bought an Aerobie AeroPress after hearing great reviews about it but still haven't been able to get a decent cup out of it.
I am a coffee lover ... and I have found, for home brewing, the more expensive and elaborate the coffee apparatus, the more the coffee sucks

I have a basic Krups drip coffee maker and it works just dandy

the key is buying coffee beans and grinding them as needed rather than buying already ground coffee ... that has been my experience anyway
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so, with all the various health issues these days, many are finding they either want, or should, reduce their salt intake ... never fear ... there are spices that can do the job without it

Trader Joe's 21 Spice Salute

contains: Onion, Black Pepper, Celery Seed, Cayenne Pepper, Parsley, Basil, Marjoram, Bay Leaf, Oregano, Thyme, Savory, Rosemary, Cumin, Mustard, Coriander, Garlic, Carrot, Orange Peel, Tomato Granules, Lemon Juice Powder, Oil of Lemon, and Citric Acid
note what it does not have - salt ... and this is excellent for pretty much all grilled meats ... it can and will simply overwhelm fish, so probably not a good match for that

but it is awesome on burgers ... just rub it evenly all over the patty before throwing it on the coals
George Carlin
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I always hand make my hamburger patties, but a friend of mine bought one of these
said it works great and makes more uniform burgers for even cooking ... so I went over to have some beer and burgers and try it out ... and I give it a thumbs up ... and will probably buy one of my own eventually
George Carlin
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I too love a good cup of joe. I just have a cheap coffee maker myself. I am a big fan of Dunkin Donuts coffee. When is a shop I always order a lg vanilla spice. Not much for the fruity coffees, give me a nut blend of some sort or french vanilla, irish cream or something sweet.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

another good source for spices is the Aloha Spice Company

http://www.alohaspice.com/

in addition to various spices, they also have a variety of sea salts ... I think sea salt does taste better, even though it isn't any healthier than regular salt

their Guava Lime Sea Salt is interesting on fish and chicken

their Pele's Fire has the kick of cayenne

George Carlin
UOK
Site Admin

I would happily try either/both of those.
wab
Mod

Considering i've given up red meat (ugh) those burgers are making my mouth water.
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

wab wrote:Considering i've given up red meat (ugh) those burgers are making my mouth water.
If you cook it a little longer it takes the red away. LOL
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

should donuts be their own food group?

Krispy Kreme donuts ... must have heroin or something in the recipe because once you're hooked, you stay hooked ... and unlike other donut makers, they don't have to make a bunch of varieties (but they do), as their simple glazed ones are wonderfully satisfying

George Carlin
wab
Mod

I haven't had a krispy kreme in oh.....4 years?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Haven't had one in awhile either. They closed the stores in the Quad Cities and that is the only time I would get them (if I was up there.) They were addictive. I liked the chocolate covered glaze.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

On another note. Have you guys ever had chorizo and eggs (scrambled).

Fry up your chorizo, drain the fat. Place back in the pan with your eggs. SCramble together. when done place in a heated tortilla with your cheese and whatever elee you want. Awesome and easy.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote:On another note. Have you guys ever had chorizo and eggs (scrambled).
yes

and if you read back through this, you will find a recipe for chorizo sausage and gray

Otis Day wrote:Fry up your chorizo, drain the fat. Place back in the pan with your eggs. SCramble together. when done place in a heated tortilla with your cheese and whatever elee you want. Awesome and easy.
standard issue breakfast burrito in San Antonio and damn yummy ... there was a small place right out the back gate at Lackland AFB ... it was our mandatory pre-class stop while I was in tech school there
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Otis Day wrote:Haven't had one in awhile either. They closed the stores in the Quad Cities and that is the only time I would get them (if I was up there.) They were addictive. I liked the chocolate covered glaze.
THere is one right next door to my damn office...so i gotta smell them sumbitches all day.
gaba
Head Coach

I just passed that "HOT NOW" sign a few minutes ago. Everyone I know claims to prefer the thick, heavy, cold stuff from the local places, but that's difficult to believe since there are 3 of 'em within an hour and every grocery store has fresh ones in the morning. (Get 'em early enough they may still be warm.) No one will admit to liking them, but they sure sell a hell of a lot of 'em.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well I sure as hell admit to liking them, and I know how wonderful the fresh-off-the line ones actually are

and my best experience with that was last time I was in Vegas ... the Food Court of NewYork NewYork has a Krispy Kreme ... you can buy your beverage, pay for your donuts, take your sheet of wax paper and walk to a space right next to the conveyer and have a fresh, hot, just glazed donut drop right into your hand ...

goddam that was good ... but I limited myself to only having 2

washed down with one of their milkshake like frozen beverage concoctions
George Carlin
gaba
Head Coach

Just made this one yesterday and enjoying the awesome leftovers now. This is my girls' favorite meal. When I tell them they can have anything they want, this trumps Happy Meals, pizza and PB&J. Literally, the only meal they will both clean their plates and ask for more. It's nothing to brag about... a really simple recipe that just works. I divide it up into four small loaves so everyone gets an end piece. There's a tip to mix it up in a ziplock bag for easy cleanup. Looks like a decent idea except that then you don't get to squish your fingers around in the raw meat. What fun is that? Besides... it's really not that hard to wash out a bowl. I guess it'd be a good idea if you don't love the feel of raw meat.
(Yes. I realize how bad that sounds. Don't care. Still fun.)

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/eas ... 57841.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use A-1 (or the generic equivalent) instead of regular barbecue sauce. Awesome. Quick, easy, and I'm worshiped as a god for it.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Xee
Site Admin

Btw, I like that angle on the picture, Gaba. Nicely composed. Looks professional.

Had this the other night. I'm just learning how a stove works so the fact the chicken came out still resembling it's original form made me happy.

gaba
Head Coach

It is professional. I took it off the recipe page.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Xee
Site Admin

gaba wrote:It is professional. I took it off the recipe page.
lol Don't mind me.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I had a few friends over for brunch recently, and we did the mixed food variety ... had a nice pan of sausage gravy which turned out perfectly, and the fresh biscuits to go with ... someone else brought a pork roast they had cooked the night before ... and yet another cooked a scrambled egg casserole with bacon and cheese ... lots of pork ... so I guess this was a pig out

the highlight of my sausage gravy was the sausage ... I was fortunate enough to get some nice sausage from an Amish Market I came across while driving around in search of a different market that I never found (found out later their website had their own address wrong) ... the market had several different flavors, so I chose Rosemary/Sage, Hickory, and Hot Pepper/Garlic ... wasn't quite sure about this combo working together, but figured it was going to be for an afternoon brunch so did not have to be perfectly breakfast like

turns out, this trifecta of flavors ended up as a wonderful pile of blended sausage goodness ... and it didn't last long at all once turned into gravy... the hickory smelled pretty strong raw, but did not overpower the other flavors (as I had feared) when cooked ... so this was a wonderful find

the only negative to the experience is this particular Amish Market is in a temporary location, shared by others, so is only there the 3rd Saturday of the month ... so last Saturday I went back and stocked up
George Carlin