Preseason Week 3 // Bears vs. Bills

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

So as I said before the game, what I wanted to see from Justin was improved accuracy and . . . I don't think we saw that, at least I didn't. Even the throw to Moore for the big gain was low and Moore had to go down to scoop it up before he could do his magic.

I know it's preseason, blah, blah, blah, but Fields himself said after the game that he treats the preseason as a real game and wants to perform his best. I'm just going to chalk that up to media-speak and just acknowledge, for whatever reason, he's just taking it easy and not really trying to play his "best" in these games.
IE
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:34 am So as I said before the game, what I wanted to see from Justin was improved accuracy and . . . I don't think we saw that, at least I didn't. Even the throw to Moore for the big gain was low and Moore had to go down to scoop it up before he could do his magic.

I know it's preseason, blah, blah, blah, but Fields himself said after the game that he treats the preseason as a real game and wants to perform his best. I'm just going to chalk that up to media-speak and just acknowledge, for whatever reason, he's just taking it easy and not really trying to play his "best" in these games.
He had to go to one knee to catch it, and if a defender was right there (which is usually the case), they just touch him and he's down. That was a bad throw. Not going to panic over an inappropriate sample. But that and the throw to Mooney were both disappointing.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:07 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:41 am

I doubt he would like the nickname T-Bag. LOL!
I’ll modify to T-Bagger to clarify the intent.

As in, he dips his nuts in the opponent’s mouth.

Now let’s use in a sentence.

T-Bagger beats the Packers because they suck.

But this is what we need. The guy is already a breath of fresh air. Exciting story. Likely has a personality. Great nickname. Like Minshew-Lite.
I think we've all been missing the best nickname, and it has been right there in front of us: "Beast" (or Beast Jr.)
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Heinz D.
MVP

Xee wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:34 am So as I said before the game, what I wanted to see from Justin was improved accuracy and . . . I don't think we saw that, at least I didn't. Even the throw to Moore for the big gain was low and Moore had to go down to scoop it up before he could do his magic.

I'm sure he was looking to make a statement yesterday....especially with josh Allen leading the other offense.

Fields wasn't TERRIBLE...but he did stink. But, let's get a grip, dude. We all know Fields isn't as bad as he showed yesterday. I mean....c'mon.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Disgruntled Thoughts:

First, what is Flus doing wearing grey? Yeah, I have grey Bear shirts too, but for game day, you should be in Bear colors, particularly the coach.

Our three and outs suck ass.

Am I the only one who though Cole caught that first pass?

Herbert has to catch better than that.

Crappy throw and read to both DJ and Mooney.

Can't believe that Justin got tripped up on that run. That's the first time I've seen that in the open field.

If I'm Justin I would have been pissed being taken out of the game. Once again, he's allowed to be blasted late, a head shot no less and no call. BS. If I'm Justin I would have wanted to make them eat that shot with a score. Dammit.

How do they call that pick against Scott and not against Buffalo on Buffalo's first first down? Maybe it was because he should block at first? And Tyler, you cut OUTSIDE of the kicker. There's no way he can cut you off if you do that. You have too much speed. That should have been a kick return score.

How is Green still starting these games? Once again, nada from him. Well, he actually got a hurry late. I can understand why Gipson would be pissed and want out. Another great game from Gipson. If Gip gets cut I'm going to be pissed. And I'd want a fourth for him at least. Preferably though, he doesn't go anywhere. I think he's been the MVP of the defense this preseason. If it was me, I'd cut either Green or Dom Rob. I don't think either would be picked up and we could then stash one of them on our practice squad. Probably Dom Rob. But Gipson should be first off the bench after Walker and Yannick.

I'm aboard the Bagent train, but an observation. Yeah, Carlson should have caught that TD, but it would have been a great catch. He was wide open and had to stretch out and dive for it. As wide open as he was, Bagent should have put that on the numbers, which brings me to one of my only criticisms of him. Can he throw it deep? Right now, he reminds me of a more athletic Shane Mathews--a field manager. He needs to be able to stretch the field vertically.

Once again, we see the refs screwing the Bears. The calls against Stroman and Stevenson were crap. The non call against JF1 was ridiculous. He was IN THE POCKET and took a late shot high. If you can't protect starters in preseason, why play them?

A couple of positives though.

Special teams looked good. Blocked punt. Good kick return (should have been a score). Great distance (52.4) and net punting (46) so good coverage. Santos appears to have increased his range considerably.

Am I the only one who thinks that Sewell may be our second-best linebacker after Tremaine? He's looking like he did at Oregon two years ago.

That's it.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:14 pm
First, what is Flus doing wearing grey? Yeah, I have grey Bear shirts too, but for game day, you should be in Bear colors, particularly the coach.
actual thought i had during the game was "why is flus dressed like a divorced dude?"
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:07 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:41 am

I doubt he would like the nickname T-Bag. LOL!
I’ll modify to T-Bagger to clarify the intent.

As in, he dips his nuts in the opponent’s mouth.

Now let’s use in a sentence.

T-Bagger beats the Packers because they suck.

But this is what we need. The guy is already a breath of fresh air. Exciting story. Likely has a personality. Great nickname. Like Minshew-Lite.
Not me. I can't speak for the rest of you. But I certainly don't "need" a "T-Bag." And that doesn't sound like it would be a breath of fresh air anyway. :sick:
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I think t-bag is a crappy nickname.

If you can't do better than that, TMP, then I'm disappointed in you.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

pus wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:13 pm I think t-bag is a crappy nickname.

If you can't do better than that, TMP, then I'm disappointed in you.
To be honest, so is him smoking a cigarette. I can only think "loser" when I see that.

Now, smoking a Cigar, that's different: