Justin Fields Megathread - A story of Lovers and Haters

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:11 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:37 pm I'll leave IE to argue his own case. But I think Tyson has siphoned off some of the optimism.
I'd be lying if I said that the revelation that is Tyson Bagent hasn't influenced my opinions. I just love that story so much.

Bags might turn into a pumpkin, and end up making regular bad decisions that relegate him to having a ceiling as a fringe NFL backup. But what I saw him able to do does stand in contrast to the rope/runway I've given someone else. That is his contribution to my perspective. Like I've written a few times, "things that make you go hmmm".

If I'm not open to new information, then I am not wise. And if I laid out a timeline I thought was reasonable/correct for the better part of two years and then updated that to add on more time, THAT would be inconsistent, or changing. I'm not doing that.
It's fine to be excited about Bags, but in the same way our optimism about him needs to be muted given the preseason so does the critique of JF1.

It was preseason.
dplank
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:31 pm
dplank wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:51 pm Yes, I am agreeing with these thoughts and I do realize it. I have concerns too! I'm just not going to make some dramatic pivot based on a few preseason throws. I'll wait until roughly 1/4 of the season before I start pontificating about drafting a QB next year or starting Rudy at QB.

The point, that somehow keeps getting distorted, is simply this: whatever you believed at the start of camp re: Fields should be EXACTLY what you believe right now. Nothing changes until we play real games.
Is that an order? Lol

My eyes have, more often than not in my life, not lied to me. I sort of see this as someone saying, in effect, "are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?"

I object to anyone telling me that what I see isn't real. Including my assessment of the context.

Sorry
No problem. You've chosen your side, now don't be fickle about it AGAIN when he plays well.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:44 pm

Is that an order? Lol

My eyes have, more often than not in my life, not lied to me. I sort of see this as someone saying, in effect, "are you going to believe me or your lying eyes?"

I object to anyone telling me that what I see isn't real. Including my assessment of the context.

Sorry
The Eye Test has been an apologist staple.

When stats of all variety, and wins/losses don't support your position - it's helpful to have something more nebulous to fall back upon

The Eye Test is undoubtedly the most reliable stat in Pro-sports :clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:05 am

Is that an order? Lol

Sorry
No problem. You've chosen your side, now don't be fickle about it AGAIN when he plays well.
I'm assuming IE will (rightfully) adjust his opinion again based on new information. It's what rational people do. Being unwilling to consider information that is contrary to an anchored position is the hallmark of a stubborn mind.

Not trying to be a dick, but you don't get to gatekeep what people perceive/think/feel about Fields.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:08 am

I'm assuming IE will (rightfully) adjust his opinion again based on new information. It's what rational people do. Being unwilling to consider information that is contrary to an anchored position is the hallmark of a stubborn mind.

Not trying to be a dick, but you don't get to gatekeep what people perceive/think/feel about Fields.
Well said.
dplank
Hall of Famer

agree, nor do you get to gatekeep what I feel about other posters. There's a clear chasm on the board regarding Fields, there have been two pretty well defined camps for a few years now. IE just jumped from one side to the other for the stupidest of all reasons IMO, we don't have to pretend that didn't happen either.

Fickleness triggers me.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:41 am

agree, nor do you get to gatekeep what I feel about other posters. There's a clear chasm on the board regarding Fields, there have been two pretty well defined camps for a few years now. IE just jumped from one side to the other for the stupidest of all reasons IMO, we don't have to pretend that didn't happen either.

Fickleness triggers me.
No one jumped sides. That’s such a weird take.
IE
Hall of Famer

When people are trying hard not to understand you, you sometimes find yourself in a position of repeating yourself over & over - only to have them repeatedly mischaracterize what you've said because they don't want to acknowledge what you said. That's where we're at here.

For TWO YEARS I've said I'm giving JF1 through this year (two full years as a starter) to get to where he needs to be. And the entire time I've been very optimistic about JF1 being on a Hurts trajectory and dramatically improving in the passing game and with QB skills in general. And just because someone else sets up an absurd strawman (as you are, Plank) that I made some sudden, digital turnaround doesn't mean it is true. It isn't true at all - it is complete bullshit and sort of like a weird playground bully politic.

I didn't give up on the guy. I didn't say "he's going to be bad", or he's not going to work out, or won't be great. I simply watched the first available play since last season, and described what I observed. I contrasted it to what I expected to see by this point, and also said my confidence had decreased a little accordingly. I justified that opinion with a VERY sound rationale - that players with good, ingrained habits do NOT turn them on & off. That is a FACT, and so straight forward a grade schooler would have enough nuance to understand it. It is not my problem if someone can't - or chooses not to.

I have no idea where the repeated distraction red herring responses like "everyone misses a throw here & there" and "preseason doesn't matter" are coming from. It is absurd to suggest that someone would watch a throw or two miss & flip. That is the strawman - and it is a really crappy one.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dplank
Hall of Famer

Ok ok I’ll relent. I’m just disappointed
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

dplank wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:41 am

Fickleness triggers me.
As a Fields believer here let me say this, the train will be waiting at the station for all Bear fans. I can assure you all those involved in this discussion are fans and NOT trolls.

It's my opinion that they have prejudged Fields too soon. But I have no doubt all of them want to see Fields shine and tell you that you were correct, that's a fact.

They are on the same page as I am, and you too. But they are pessimistic Bears fans that can't (refuse?) to believe that after all of these years the Bears are actually going to be good. For myself, I cannot guarantee Fields will be great. We have all, or most have, agreed this is the show me year for Fields. He could fail (which is why I was adamant that we should not waive TB 2, but that's another argument.)

What I don't like is all these folks passing judgment on Fields in his show me year, before he even plays out the year.
:frustrated:
Try and believe, yes even more than just hope, and give him 4 to 6 games to see if the improvement are there to at least some degree.

So DP, even if they keep up the idea that in meaningless practice games, with very little chance to shine, they pass judgement. They are Bears fans and would be thrilled as shit if Fields becomes all that you and I hope,

You have said you are NOT a "I told you so" guy. but that's what you're doing.

:toast:
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't think anyone here is not giving him 4-6 games. The Bears can win and Fields still be an average overall QB. I don't think they can win long and/or many games if he is avg. His legs, running way above avg at this point. It is his ability to see the field, go thru progressions, throw people open, hit the short ones that have myself apprehensive.
The Grizzly One
Crafty Veteran

Otis Day wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:01 pm I don't think anyone here is not giving him 4-6 games. The Bears can win and Fields still be an average overall QB. I don't think they can win long and/or many games if he is avg. His legs, running way above avg at this point. It is his ability to see the field, go thru progressions, throw people open, hit the short ones that have myself apprehensive.
Well there have been many arguing he is not improved and the Bears will suck. It is to them I ask they give him 4-6 games before arguing that, You're apprehensive is not warranted.
I'm gone. Have a nice life. I'm clearly not wanted here.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Fighting DP on this:

Although DP as Sigourney Weaver makes me cringe...twice. :sick:
dplank
Hall of Famer

A. 80s Sigourney Weaver was hot
B. Dplank Sigourney Weaver is even hotter

You know you want it Yogi
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:13 pm A. 80s Sigourney Weaver was hot

If we want to talk about Cameron's chicks, I'll just say that LInda Hamilton used to really do it for me. I mean not literally. But if she did, I'd tell you.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Man - hitting the old way back machine.

We are about 3 posts from WAB waxing nostalgic for Clara Bow
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Eww. Sigourney Weaver makes me want to gag. Always has. Zuul looked better. lol

IE
Hall of Famer

I wanted everyone to know I drafted Justin Fields in my biggest dollar fantasy league. Just FYI that's how much I've given up on him.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:55 pm I wanted everyone to know I drafted Justin Fields in my biggest dollar fantasy league. Just FYI that's how much I've given up on him.
I can't believe Dplank took Jordan Love

What a monster
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:34 pm
IE wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:55 pm I wanted everyone to know I drafted Justin Fields in my biggest dollar fantasy league. Just FYI that's how much I've given up on him.
I can't believe Dplank took Jordan Love

What a monster
:o

No....no....

...NO!

First IE and now dplank. My heart can't take much more.

:sad:
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t know why that boy is blatantly trolling me - again - but I have no idea what he is lying about now. I don’t have Love. And here we are 5 months after I’ve blocked him, and his personal obsession continues.

Get a life loser.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:38 am I don’t know why that boy is blatantly trolling me - again - but I have no idea what he is lying about now. I don’t have Love. And here we are 5 months after I’ve blocked him, and his personal obsession continues.

Get a life loser.

I'm guessing it was an attempt to be funny, though the whole bit lost any amusement value long ago.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

IE wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:16 pm

If we want to talk about Cameron's chicks, I'll just say that LInda Hamilton used to really do it for me. I mean not literally. But if she did, I'd tell you.
If we're talking hot chicks from Cameron movies then put me down for Kate Winslet.

The independent shield maiden virtues of Weaver and Hamilton are admirable and attractive.

However Winslet has this sorceress thing over me where once I see her my mind locks up and I need to power cycle my brain router.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

In this show me year, Justin Fields will be the show.

Give him the Emmy, the Oscar or whatever because he's gonna be a star.

Speak it into existence!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:39 pm

Eww. Sigourney Weaver makes me want to gag.
Yeah, but a "dplank Sigourney Weaver" would be a 280lb trans version. I think I'd um, roll, with the original!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:26 pm
Yogi da Bear wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:39 pm

Eww. Sigourney Weaver makes me want to gag.
Yeah, but a "dplank Sigourney Weaver" would be a 280lb trans version. I think I'd um, roll, with the original!
Double ew. Thanks for putting things into perspective for me. :sick:
docc
Head Coach

Dam...I can't wait until the season starts...
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Athletic has ranked JF as #14 in its list of 23 most intriguing players of '23. Their writeup:

14. Justin Fields, QB, Chicago Bears
The Bears’ young passer made great strides last season when his coaches embraced his skills as a runner, and Chicago’s front office has since invested heavily in upgrading his supporting cast. Fields needs to take a leap forward as a passer this season, and if he can, the former Ohio State star could help Chicago contend for its first postseason berth since 2020.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:22 pm The Athletic has ranked JF as #14 in its list of 23 most intriguing players of '23. Their writeup:

14. Justin Fields, QB, Chicago Bears
The Bears’ young passer made great strides last season when his coaches embraced his skills as a runner, and Chicago’s front office has since invested heavily in upgrading his supporting cast. Fields needs to take a leap forward as a passer this season, and if he can, the former Ohio State star could help Chicago contend for its first postseason berth since 2020.
Justin needs to take a leap forward as a passer this season?

Pfft, putting this writer down in the "hater" column
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer