Trey Lance Traded to the Cowboys

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Well, that was a waste of a lot of draft capital.
otis
Pro Bowler

haha! couldn't happen to a better team. i just hope he doesn't pan out for the cowboys. that may be actually worse.
Bearfacts
MVP

Odd to see the team we traded with to obtain Mitch Trubisky now have their own screw up with a 1st round QB pick.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

First Mitch and now Lance. Perhaps, but I doubt, that teams stop drafting QBs based on "potential" rather than actual college accomplishments. Dallas wasn't one of the teams mentioned as interested. He brought a 4th back.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Heinz D.
MVP

I find this whole situation...really weird.

Now, granted, the 9ers got a shiny, bonafide gift from the football gods in Brock Purdy. But trading Lance now (as he sat for a year), and for a fourth rounder, to boot--is befuddling. And, the Cowboys picking him up? Talk about bizarre stacked atop incomprehensible.

However, full disclosure, this kind of crazy just helps cement pro football as my favorite sport. :)
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:26 pm Odd to see the team we traded with to obtain Mitch Trubisky now have their own screw up with a 1st round QB pick.
Maybe we passed the curse onto them? :)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:26 pm First Mitch and now Lance. Perhaps, but I doubt, that teams stop drafting QBs based on "potential" rather than actual college accomplishments. Dallas wasn't one of the teams mentioned as interested. He brought a 4th back.
The QB position is just so massively valued that I think GMs are going to defy all logic and continue to do stupid things.

I can't believe the cost paid by Denver for Wilson, SF for Lance and then Carolina (to our benefit) for Bryce Young.

Not in a thousand years should we ever pay that.

3 first round picks plus misc. draft choices and players can build you half a team.

Like in our case I can't believe Poles got an elite WR, 2 firsts and 2 seconds. How do you not make that deal every single time?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:02 am
Grizzled wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:26 pm First Mitch and now Lance. Perhaps, but I doubt, that teams stop drafting QBs based on "potential" rather than actual college accomplishments. Dallas wasn't one of the teams mentioned as interested. He brought a 4th back.
The QB position is just so massively valued that I think GMs are going to defy all logic and continue to do stupid things.

I can't believe the cost paid by Denver for Wilson, SF for Lance and then Carolina (to our benefit) for Bryce Young.

3 first round picks plus misc. draft choices and players can build you half a team.

Like in our case I can't believe Poles got an elite WR, 2 firsts and 2 seconds. How do you not make that deal every single time?
Two 1sts + other for a superstar QB and for the #1 pick in the draft might be acceptable. 3, though, was pushing it, especially for such an untried guy. Just imagine, though, if SF had done what they should and take Fields. What a team they would have been.

I'm kind of fantasizing that Carolina totally fails this year and ends up with the #1 pick in the draft. The Bears just might get three #1 from teams desperate for Caleb Williams.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:47 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:02 am

Two 1sts + other for a superstar QB and for the #1 pick in the draft might be acceptable. 3, though, was pushing it, especially for such an untried guy. Just imagine, though, if SF had done what they should and take Fields. What a team they would have been.

I'm kind of fantasizing that Carolina totally fails this year and ends up with the #1 pick in the draft. The Bears just might get three #1 from teams desperate for Caleb Williams.
The Carolina pick being #1 overall would be the only way I’d get rid of JF1. Unless if there’s some unforeseen collapse I’d rather build around him.

But wow, imagine the possibilities of keeping JF1, trading Carolina’s #1 overall for 3 firsts and 2 seconds. Each year for the next three years have 2 first round picks and then 2 seconds for the next two years. That’s how you build out a team.
Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:55 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:26 pm Odd to see the team we traded with to obtain Mitch Trubisky now have their own screw up with a 1st round QB pick.
I dunno but at least we got more out of Mitch than they got out of Lance. I guess the flip side of it is Brock Purdy only cost them a 7th round pick so they gained something back there plus whatever the Cowboys gave them. Two cases of Shiner Bock maybe?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:20 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:55 am

I dunno but at least we got more out of Mitch than they got out of Lance. I guess the flip side of it is Brock Purdy only cost them a 7th round pick so they gained something back there plus whatever the Cowboys gave them. Two cases of Shiner Bock maybe?
It will look even worse if Brock ends up crashing back down to earth. He's far from a sure thing.

If the media didn't love Lynch he would be roasted for Trey Lance.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Still shaking my head at this trade. I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but Cooper Rush has played like gangbusters when he has had the chance. I think this will only screw up the limited chemistry this team has. Which is a great thing for us Cowboy haters.