The success of Taylor Swift

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

When she first broke out in Country Music, her sound was catchy and her song topics appealed to the young first love crowd.

Then she went straight to the jilted love crowd.

Then she went straight pop with more jilted love.

When did America (and everyone else) decide she’s the next big thing in music?
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

I feel like Taylor Swift has been huge for like 15 years now. She's 33 and basically in her most financially lucrative era. She's not everybody's thing, but I like a few of her earworm songs. I find none of it offensive.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I don’t think any of her material is offensive either. And I’m not trying to discount her a apparent popularity in the past 10 years, because she was fairly successful, and had a decent following for many of her songs. My surprise is the total success of her ERAS tour.

She is surpassing pretty much, every known benchmark on this tour, and is achieving something along the lines of a music cult like following. (And I don’t mean that in a religious cult type of way, but strictly in the music cult-following that some groups and artist achieve.)

And I guess I don’t understand how she got to this level???
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
UOK
Site Admin

From what little I understand, she started out as a country/pop-country phenomenon before transitioning full-gear into mainstream pop. It was one of the most successful career pivots in history, and her career has never slowed down. The two largest music bases in the country merged, essentially.

She's also been in several high profile relationships with celebrities that are well known to her fan base demographic. I've never seen her get involved in some career-threatening scandal or made some gaffes that would get her in major trouble.

Taylor's a rocket ship, and because her image has a very wide, very marketable appeal, she's in everything, everywhere, and has been for a long while now.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I remember my kids listening to her when she first came out about 15-16 years ago (WOW!!). I don't find anything wrong with her. I do not like the type of music she plays/records.

I give her mad props because she is very talented. She writes the lyrics. She writes the music. Not many current artists do that. Her concert performances are over 3 hrs long.

I think people have gotten sick of her due to the over saturation of her in the news. Is that her fault? No. But, people have to hate and she is the perfect target because she is everywhere. Did she ask to be blasted all over the broadcast of the game Sunday? No, but the network played it up.

I read awhile back she gave all her truck drivers (driving all the equipment to the concerts) a $100,000 bonus. That to me says a lot. That pissed people off as well, because they said she could have given them more.

Anyway, more power to her and let the haters hate.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I definitely don’t hate. But I can see her getting a label of “Queen of Pop” soon. And I seriously don’t know if she still uses auto tune.
Like Curtis Martin went from ‘steady 1000 yard guy’ (who was never the best RB in a given year) to HOF
karhu
Head Coach

My wife had to explain this to me, since I can't name a single Taylor Swift song. When Swift kept showing up during the Bears game, the boys and I finally let out a groan; my wife popped in to say "Oh, she's just doing research. If her publicist says she's dating that guy, they'll be in the news for two weeks, then she'll write a song about how it all fell apart and it'll be a big hit and then she'll go date a golfer or something. Shampoo, rinse, repeat."
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
wab
Mod

As the husband of one of the biggest Swifties in existence, I can attest that her following is nothing short of a cult. Having said that, the whole kerfuffle with ownership of her music catalog really galvanized and expanded her fanbase and propelled her into what she is now. You can see that in the success of the Eras tour.

Dating a bunch of famous dudes and then writing songs about them has helped her popularity too.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I have been to a few T-Swizzle concerts. I don't particularly care for her music even though I can appreciate her songwriting ability. I will say...she is a machine on stage. Having been around concerts for the better part of my adult life, I've not seen many artists put as much into a performance as she does. It's incredibly impressive.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We really need to win a game.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I'm obviously not a Taylor Swift fanboy. Laugh. Her music isn't style but I can't lie its catchy.

This tour and the participation in it is crazy. I have heard from people that went. Tickets were hard to get and expensive. Yet the production for her fans was supposedly great.

I find it amazing in this non CD, tape, record era someone can do that. I know a family that flew to Europe because it was cheaper them tickets here.

I use to read CD and tape covers. I get how someone becomes a big fan when you invest time in that "record" era. I cant say I thought something like this would happen ever again.