Wild card coaching candidates?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

If they are still thinking Fields isn’t quite a proven commodity at the end of the year, after 3 seasons, there is no way poles isn’t trading him and drafting his replacement. Especially if they have the #1 and super especially if the coaching staff is let go.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:27 pm
wab wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:14 pm

This is what I think will happen, but the #1 pick looms large and throws a real big wrinkle in things. If for whatever reason the Bears end up picking at like #3 and #8 then you probably keep Fields.

If they pick at #1 and #5 that might change the decision dynamic.
IF the Bears are smart, and there's no guarantee of that. Poles will trade out of #1, stockpile more draft capital, and continue to build around Justin Fields. Justin is easily a top 15 QB in this league, and you can win with him. I think we're a #2 WR and a C away from having the right pieces. You don't draft MHJ in this situation. You have a #1 receiver. The offensive coaching staff has to be launched though.
It’s what they should do, because if Fields proves to not be the guy in 2024/25 then the team is built around whatever QB they do bring in and he’s set up for success.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

IF the Bears are smart
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

circlecitybear
Practice Squad

Oregon's Dan Lanning, and bring his OC Will Stien with him
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Not exacyly wild cards but a good read on what the writer thinks Warren will be looking for:
https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... ng-change/
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

A little out of the box:
Frank Smith, OC Miami.
Knows how to blend power running with down field passing.
Is said to be a dynamic player's coach
Has worked under Sean Payton, Jon Gruden and now Mike McDaniel in the NFL.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:53 am Mike Tomlin. Seems like his message isn't getting thru to this group of Steelers. Maybe time for change of scenery.
He has worked with Warren (Vikings). McCaskey likes the Steelers organization and would probably welcome the opportunity to add Tomlin.
LacertineForest
MVP

If Tomlin becomes available, I think the Bears will absolutely jump at that.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Grizzled wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:03 am Not exacyly wild cards but a good read on what the writer thinks Warren will be looking for:
Darrell Bevell sticks out to me. He’s kinda low on it, but he’s part of the “Holmgren coaching tree” and he won a Super Bowl with Seattle.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:08 am A little out of the box:
Frank Smith, OC Miami.
Knows how to blend power running with down field passing.
Is said to be a dynamic player's coach
Has worked under Sean Payton, Jon Gruden and now Mike McDaniel in the NFL.
I'm totally on the Frank Smith bus. Tell him he can come to Chicago and run his own offensive program, call the plays, etc. Right now he's a glorified QB coach, and Tua is playing really well. I'd hire Frank Smith as OC in a heartbeat.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:13 pm
IF the Bears are smart
Hahaha! So true.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

alexwilkins wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:47 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:03 am Not exacyly wild cards but a good read on what the writer thinks Warren will be looking for:
Darrell Bevell sticks out to me. He’s kinda low on it, but he’s part of the “Holmgren coaching tree” and he won a Super Bowl with Seattle.
I was living out there at the time. He just doesn’t impress me, I hope they look elsewhere.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Todd Monkin Ravens OC. Good article about him in the Athletic.

This does not mean I'm advocating for Flus to be fired, but if that happens, so far I like like Tomlin and Monkin, maybe DeBoer.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Umbali
MVP

Well if we dont fire Flus but get rid of Getsy as we should, Id like to see someone from the Shanahan tree. Maybe Darrell Bevel the qb coach in Miami. Not sure cus I dont know who looks great, I only recognize who sucks ass. Getsy . I am a Bears fan. I know bad when I see it.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
cblaz11
MVP

Thoughts on Frank Reich as an OC?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Umbali wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:56 am Well if we dont fire Flus but get rid of Getsy as we should, Id like to see someone from the Shanahan tree. Maybe Darrell Bevel the qb coach in Miami. Not sure cus I dont know who looks great, I only recognize who sucks ass. Getsy . I am a Bears fan. I know bad when I see it.
I thought Getsy was said to have got some Shanahan from LaFleur. IIRC
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:53 am Mike Tomlin. Seems like his message isn't getting thru to this group of Steelers. Maybe time for change of scenery.
Well after their big win yesterday Tomlin just needs a victory in one of the last two games to have yet another winning season. That would make 17 consecutive winning seasons since he became the head coach! It's hard to let go of a guy with that level of consistent success even if the team hasn't been a genuine contender for a while. Their QB situation has been dire since Roethlisberger retired.

Here's a random thought: A straight up swap of Tomlin for Fields.

(And no, it's not something I would advocate.)
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:59 am
Well after their big win yesterday Tomlin just needs a victory in one of the last two games to have yet another winning season. That would make 17 consecutive winning seasons since he became the head coach! It's hard to let go of a guy with that level of consistent success even if the team hasn't been a genuine contender for a while. Their QB situation has been dire since Roethlisberger retired.

I'm thinking about that one.

Straight up?

I would be inclined to do it.

JF1 for Tomlin in a year when we have the 1 and 5 picks? Yeah sure. Then draft Tomlin's hand picked replacement.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:59 am

As I mentioned on the HC thread in the 'War Room', Pitt just doesn't fire coaches (at least since Noll) but Tomlin may be looking for a new and fresh challenge. And what could be greater than the Bears? Like becoming manager of the Cubs before they won the World Series. Plus his contract is over after '24, perhaps Pitt is hesitant about the money it will take to re-sign him. I also wondered about a straight Fields for Tomlin swap. Fields wouldn't be in the NFC so the Bears wouldn't have to face him any too often.