Way Too Early HC Discussion

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Just in case:

Jim Harbaugh - fave of many fans, HC experience and a winner at 3 colleges and an NFL team, developer of QBs in college and pros but would he be palatable to Poles and ownership?

Ben Johnson - another fave, the Goff whisperer, no HC experience

Kellen Moore - has gotten good results from Dak and Herbert, no HC experience

Bobby Slowik - rookie C.J. Stroud is having a great year under his tutelage, from the Shanahan tree, no HC experience

Bill O'Brian - successful HC in the NFL, OC experience in college and the pros

Ryan Day - college HC and the Bears have never hired to make that jump, connection to Fields is obvious

Kalen Boer - Univ. of Wshington HC, has had top college passing attacks past 2 years and supposedly of interest to Poles, as is his QB

Lincoln Riley - probably the longest shot here, college OC only, designs good offenses but has troubles getting guys to run defenses that stop people

Just to throw in something else although highly unlikely:

Harbaugh - J.J. McCarthy, Michigan QB
Boer - Michael Penix, Wshington QB
Riley - Caleb Williams, USC QB
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Fantasy Land Pick: Jim Harbaugh. I hope this is the choice. I really do. I just don't see it happening.

There's a serious appeal of Ryan Day; especially if MHJ is the #1 pick. But if you're Ryan Day, why do you leave Ohio State where you have to be King Of The Known Universe, and rightfully so, to come to the Bears?

Realistic Hope: Brian Flores.

No first time HCs. We don't know how to pick them. We = McCaskeys.

There are several people on this board who I would rather have hiring authority for the HC than the McCaskey Family and that's a serious opinion.
I Take The Field With Fields

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Flores was decent at Miami. He's a defensive guy so he'd have to find his offensive guru. Might be too controversial for the McCaskeys tho.
Last edited by Grizzled on Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:45 pm Flores was decent at Miami. He's a defensive guy so he'd have to find his offensive guru. Mivht be too controversial for the McCaskeys tho.
Anyone too controversial for the owners are on my shortlist
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I am just so tired of the failure oozing from every pore of this organization that I really just want them to make the right choice for the sake of our sanity

but I know better than to expect it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
EricTighe
MVP

Actually like David Shaw.
Rich Bisaccia not a bad resume. 7-5 during Gruden end.
wab
Mod

If Antonio Pierce is tossed by the Raiders…he’s a dude that should be on the staff. I don’t know about HC…but he’s been able to get a team that’s a complete catastrophe to play their asses off.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

This is my slightly out-of-the-box option: Ravens OC Todd Monken

He likes running the ball, knows how to coach a mobile QB (perfect if they keep Fields), succeeded with both college RPO and more old school pro-style offenses. He's got the tools in his tool belt for a young QB drafted
OC, WR, and QB Coach at NFL level - tells me he knows how to teach
HC experience at the college level - took over a TERRIBLE program at Southern Miss and had them in a bowl 3 years later. Won Conference USA Coach of the Year. It's not NFL experience but proves he's done some of the basics at least. Hire a staff, do press conferences, dealt with a lockerroom that struggled and shined.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/who- ... r-jackson/
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/co ... odd-monken
xyt in the discord chats
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:22 pm If Antonio Pierce is tossed by the Raiders…he’s a dude that should be on the staff. I don’t know about HC…but he’s been able to get a team that’s a complete catastrophe to play their asses off.
This would be a spicy choice as he's so new to coaching. I get it though - that team is really playing for him. I wonder who he'd pick for his staff? He could theoretically put together a "former players" group of coaches like the Lions? Or would he hire former coaches from his career? It's an interesting name to ponder
xyt in the discord chats
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Flus does deserve some flowers. Our defense is really coming along. Philly, San Fran, Jacksonville, and Chicago are the final four teams to not allow 1,000 rushing yards on the season yet, and we’re the only one of those four that’s played a 12th game. Allowing a league-leading(or bottoming?) 79 rush yards per game.

Pass D has been garbage, but Sweat has been a godsend. IIIIFFFF Flus stays, we need news play callers on both sides of the ball.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Supposedly, from folk knowledgeable as much as possible, the Bears are having internal discussions about Harbaugh. Warren has been given the power to make all football decisions but I wonder if he would still have to clear such a decision with McCaskey.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Don't know how hot the fire is under Tomlin. Some articles saying he's lost the players. Nothing yet on management's views, which would be about right, Warren and Poles won't talk during the season about Flus. If terminated or there is a mutual parting, I'd have to think he's the front runner if Flus gets launched. Or his parting might be a deciding factor in letting Flus go. Warren wants an experienced hand at HC and he and Tomlin worked together in Minnesota. Tomlin has 10 playoff appearances, 7 division titles, and a Super Bowl ring. He's 52 years old. The SM article I read compared his situation to that of Andy Reid, who was highly successful at Philly but eventually run out of town, only to land with the Chiefs:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... t-emerged/
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:32 am Don't know how hot the fire is under Tomlin. Some articles saying he's lost the players. Nothing yet on management's views, which would be about right, Warren and Poles won't talk during the season about Flus. If terminated or there is a mutual parting, I'd have to think he's the front runner if Flus gets launched. Or his parting might be a deciding factor in letting Flus go. Warren wants an experienced hand at HC and he and Tomlin worked together in Minnesota. Tomlin has 10 playoff appearances, 7 division titles, and a Super Bowl ring. He's 52 years old. The SM article I read compared his situation to that of Andy Reid, who was highly successful at Philly but eventually run out of town, only to land with the Chiefs:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... t-emerged/
Yes please :thumbsup:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wab
Mod

I don’t know how you wouldn’t make a serious run at Tomlin if he’s fired.

He’s an incredible coach.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:20 am I don’t know how you wouldn’t make a serious run at Tomlin if he’s fired.

He’s an incredible coach.
Tomlin would be the answer. Even above Harbaugh.

pus
Head Coach

Tomlin in a heartbeat.
No matter how you try to box him in, whatever realistic scenario you propose to build around him is going to include the fashion aspect(s) of Caleb's dramatic personality.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Something rarely seen on the Board, a large amount of consensus ....

Tomlin or Harbaugh, tough call. Both are experienced. Both get guys up to play for them. Neither seems to tolerate slacker efforts. Tomlin has been in Pitt for 16 years, anyone can wear out a welcome in that time (and yet I'm still married at 20 years).
LacertineForest
MVP

Steelers want Mike Tomlin back, with an extension

I kind of figured it was a long shot anyway. Unless Tomlin wants out (even then, he's under contract for another year), I doubt he goes anywhere.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:25 pm Something rarely seen on the Board, a large amount of consensus ....

Tomlin or Harbaugh, tough call. Both are experienced. Both get guys up to play for them. Neither seems to tolerate slacker efforts. Tomlin has been in Pitt for 16 years, anyone can wear out a welcome in that time (and yet I'm still married at 20 years).
Yeah the consensus centers around the greatness of Pink Floyd and then everything else is a crapshoot.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:44 am
Grizzled wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:25 pm Something rarely seen on the Board, a large amount of consensus ....

Yeah the consensus centers around the greatness of Pink Floyd and then everything else is a crapshoot.
Can't argue with that:

Talk is that the Steelers won't push Tomlin out (they just don't fire coaches since Noll) but he's lost the locker room and might be looking for a change. Additionally, his contract is over after '24 and he will be wanting big $$$. Scuttlebutt is that Pittsburgh might be willing to trade him. I don't want to see the Bears give up a #1 pick for him, especially this year. Of the 7 times a coach has been traded, 5 involved at least one 1st round pick. Maybe JF for Tomlin if the Bears are wanting to move on?

Regarding Harbaugh, an article saying 2 things are working against the Bears hiring him (if he decides to leave Michigan). First, he and Warren really have bad blood between them from when Warren was Big 10 Commish. Second, the author and other knowledgeable NFL folk think that Harbaugh will insist on having some say over personnel, too much for Poles and Warren to buy off on.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:31 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:44 am

Can't argue with that:

Talk is that the Steelers won't push Tomlin out (they just don't fire coaches since Noll) but he's lost the locker room and might be looking for a change. Additionally, his contract is over after '24 and he will be wanting big $$$. Scuttlebutt is that Pittsburgh might be willing to trade him. I don't want to see the Bears give up a #1 pick for him, especially this year. Of the 7 times a coach has been traded, 5 involved at least one 1st round pick. Maybe JF for Tomlin if the Bears are wanting to move on?

Regarding Harbaugh, an article saying 2 things are working against the Bears hiring him (if he decides to leave Michigan). First, he and Warren really have bad blood between them from when Warren was Big 10 Commish. Second, the author and other knowledgeable NFL folk think that Harbaugh will insist on having some say over personnel, too much for Poles and Warren to buy off on.
I need to think more about this one, but I like the idea of JF1 for Tomlin given that we have the 1 and 5 picks.

It's the perfect time to do something like this.

cblaz11
MVP

For me…

Harbaugh
Tomlin

Probably stick with Flus and a new OC
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:51 am For me…

Harbaugh
Tomlin

Probably stick with Flus and a new OC
Because Bears.