Inside look into the Tepper/Reich Panthers

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Athletic spoke to more than 20 Panthers coaches, players and other league sources, some of whom were granted anonymity so they could speak freely. They painted a picture of dysfunction inside the Panthers’ offices, with assistant coaches undermining other coaches as many went into self-preservation mode when it became clear Reich’s days were numbered.

https://theathletic.com/5105215/2023/12 ... id-tepper/

If you have an Athletic subscription, it's a fun look into a real shitshow that David Tepper created.

Team sources described a “Hunger Games” culture at Bank of America Stadium. Coaches said they believed other staff members were text messaging Tepper behind Reich’s back about issues they saw with the team.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

That seems weird.

I mean - aren't all these other coaches out in January, anyway? And didn't they understand that?
Generally, it's in your best interest for the guys above you, who hired you, to survive.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yeah, it does seem really strange, but Tepper "insisted" that Reich keep a couple of coaches from Rhule's staff so maybe the thinking was, stay on Tepper's good side and he'll keep you around when Matt Nagy is coach next year?

...Which of course makes no sense from the outside looking in, but no one loves a sycophant more than billionaires, so it kinda tracks.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Tepper lost it at the Jaguars game yesterday. He threw a drink at a Jags fan. Probably looking at a fine, maybe a suspension:

Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
karhu
Head Coach

Tepper is the feces that's created when stupid eats too much money.

Yeah, I stole that from King of the Hill, but Tepper doesn't deserve an original wisecrack.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

It took a couple of decades before Jerry Jones, as GM, learned to listen to others in the Cowboys organization regarding who to draft and the Cowboys started taking really good players. Jones was enamored with Johnny Manziel, really wanted to draft him but he was talked out of it by his son, Stephen. Tepper overruled his very experienced HC and others in the org by taking Bryce Young. C.J. Stroud was their choice. And now the Panthers don't have D. J. Moore anymore ( :toast: ) for a young QB to throw to and the #1 pick in a draft in which the QBs are thought to be much stronger than they were last year when Young was drafted. He's set his team back several years in any rebulid.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:03 am Yeah, it does seem really strange, but Tepper "insisted" that Reich keep a couple of coaches from Rhule's staff so maybe the thinking was, stay on Tepper's good side and he'll keep you around when Matt Nagy is coach next year?

...Which of course makes no sense from the outside looking in, but no one loves a sycophant more than billionaires, so it kinda tracks.
They are probably Teppers moles.

I’m sure plenty of “fans” love his fire everyone all the time attitude but it’s how you become the laughing stock of the nfl. Free agents and coaches don’t want to go to those places unless they are out of options. Maybe Russell Wilson will start for them next year.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The NFL has fined Tepper $300,000 for this incident.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:58 am The NFL has fined Tepper $300,000 for this incident.
Florio breaking it down, If all Tepper had was a million dollars, that would be the equivalent of the NFL fining him $15.

Putting that in context, it’s the equivalent of fining someone worth $1 million dollars the staggering sum of (checks math again) $14.56.

Tepper with the non-apology "i should have let security handle it" was the icing on the cake. Rich people are laughing at you.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Genuine question - who gets the money from the fine imposed?
50% should go to the fan
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:52 pm Genuine question - who gets the money from the fine imposed?
50% should go to the fan
I think they route fines to charity’s.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Think about Tepper the next time you want to complain about the Halas/Mccaskey ownership. Dude is just sabotaging his own franchise.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Tepper is the typical rich arrogant asshole who feels he can do whatever he wants. And since all he understands is money, the NFL needs to take a lot of his with his latest example of being a complete douche.
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:14 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:52 pm Genuine question - who gets the money from the fine imposed?
50% should go to the fan
I think the person wronged should get a proportion but then you risk fans deliberately baiting owners :D
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:50 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:14 pm

I think the person wronged should get a proportion but then you risk fans deliberately baiting owners :D
Like they don't bait owners now? ;-)
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I wonder if the new Panther GM and HC can get restraining orders against the owner written into their contracts.