Update: Jaylon Johnson not traded

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

cblaz11
MVP

20 mil for 4 years…no…but I still wouldn’t rule out the 1 year franchise tag.

I don’t hate the transition tag option either
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Is say talk to him about an extension and if no deal is made tell him we can’t let him go for nothing and let him pick which tag he wants.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears CB Jaylon Johnson on pending free agency: ‘Couldn’t see myself anywhere else’ but Chicago

Bears cornerback Jaylon Johnson is determined to get the money he deserves as he reaches the end of his contract, but he badly wants that deal to come from the team. He said Wednesday if general manager Ryan Poles made him a satisfactory offer in the next three months, he’d have no desire to test the market in free agency.

“I want to stay here,” he said. “I definitely want to get something done [here] first, but if something doesn’t get done, I’m not opposed to any other options. I would love to stay here.”

He has a career-high four interceptions, tied for fourth in the NFL and tied with linebacker Tremaine Edmunds for the team lead, and Pro Football Focus currently rates him as the No. 1 cornerback in the league. ESPN Analytics calculated that he has prevented more yards by opponents than any outside corner. He has allowed completions on just 54.5% of passes he has faced and quarterbacks throwing at him have a 49.7 passer rating, according to Pro Football Reference.

“I definitely added some money... I’ve done that,” he said, smiling.

And even after all his frustration with negotiations, he wants that money to come from the Bears.

“Couldn’t see myself anywhere else,” he said. “It’s easy to say you want out of somewhere until you get it and then it’s like, ‘Ah, this may not be quite what I want.’

“We’re building something special, too, especially with the guys in the locker room. I don’t think it’s something I can get anywhere else. I would like to stay and continue to build and make it better, and [shoot], I want to win some games and get to the playoffs and make a push with the Chicago name, too.”

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2023 ... ut-chicago
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

So, I'm unsure. Can the Bears negotiatie with JJ now or do they have to wait until the offseason? They can franchise tag him in the offseason but still negotiate a long term deal.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

What he says doesn't mean squat. He's destined for one of the tags. His prior actions showed that he overvalues himself. I'd transition tag him myself and let him find another team to tell him what he's worth, assuming anyone will go for it, knowing we have more cap flexibility than the rest of the league. Better chance of getting a long term deal with him that way instead of the F-tag and all the upset that comes with that.

There's also the possibility that we let him go or trade him. I know nobody likes that idea and frankly, I don't either. But we're not ready to win now and both Stevenson and Smith were drafted for a reason and are playing pretty well. The F-tag will keep him for only 1 year, maybe 2 and often doesn't result in a long term deal, which is what the Bears will want to do.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:18 am So, I'm unsure. Can the Bears negotiatie with JJ now or do they have to wait until the offseason? They can franchise tag him in the offseason but still negotiate a long term deal.
They can negotiate a deal whenever they want, including now. But JJ has said he wants to focus on the game until the season ends, which makes sense. That doesn't stop his agent from camping out at Halas Hall though.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:35 am His prior actions showed that he overvalues himself.
Does he overvalue himself?
He has a career-high four interceptions, tied for fourth in the NFL and tied with linebacker Tremaine Edmunds for the team lead, and Pro Football Focus currently rates him as the No. 1 cornerback in the league. ESPN Analytics calculated that he has prevented more yards by opponents than any outside corner. He has allowed completions on just 54.5% of passes he has faced and quarterbacks throwing at him have a 49.7 passer rating, according to Pro Football Reference.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Imagine the following scenario...
1. We F-tag and trade JJ to a win in 2024 team like SF, KC or Eagles for a low R1 pick.
2. We decide to move on from Fields and get a R2 pick for him.

As a team not ready to win now, Ryan Poles--who has drafted well so far--you'd have to think that could be an enticing scenario for him. We have 2 top 10 picks and 4 in the top 50. Maybe more if we trade back.

Mikefive
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:45 am
Mikefive wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:35 am His prior actions showed that he overvalues himself.
That's true today. But it wasn't true when he last tried to negotiate and asked to seek out a trade.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 am Imagine the following scenario...
1. We F-tag and trade JJ to a win in 2024 team like SF, KC or Eagles for a low R1 pick.

As a team not ready to win now, Ryan Poles--who has drafted well so far--you'd have to think that could be an enticing scenario for him. We have 2 top 10 picks and 4 in the top 50. Maybe more if we trade back.
Poles values the CB position very highly. I don't imagine he trades JJ.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:57 am Imagine the following scenario...

Interesting scenario, but I disagree with the premise that we aren’t ready to win in 2024. We just outplayed 4 playoff teams 4 weeks in a row, and with it without these moves we have tons of ammo to improve on an already competitive roster.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:01 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:45 am

That's true today. But it wasn't true when he last tried to negotiate and asked to seek out a trade.
It does seem like he's progressed a bit since he first stepped into the limelight.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Can they still negotiate right now? I don't understand the holdup. Poles told JJ go put and prove it and JJ has, right? So let's get this contract signed

If JJ is allowed to leave after doing what is asked that's a bad look on the FO imo.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:45 pm Can they still negotiate right now? I don't understand the holdup. Poles told JJ go put and prove it and JJ has, right? So let's get this contract signed

If JJ is allowed to leave after doing what is asked that's a bad look on the FO imo.
I don't think he's going. If we can't reach a deal with him, I think we do like we did with Fuller. "Sorry we can't agree, one of us is wrong on your value JJ. So we are going to let you shop yourself around after we apply the transition tag to you. Whatever you get, we'll match it (unless if it totally out of wack, Poles mumbles under his breath)."
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:57 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:45 pm Can they still negotiate right now? I don't understand the holdup. Poles told JJ go put and prove it and JJ has, right? So let's get this contract signed

I don't think he's going. If we can't reach a deal with him, I think we do like we did with Fuller. "Sorry we can't agree, one of us is wrong on your value JJ. So we are going to let you shop yourself around after we apply the transition tag to you. Whatever you get, we'll match it (unless if it totally out of wack, Poles mumbles under his breath)."
I predict we franchise tag him.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:20 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:57 pm

I predict we franchise tag him.
I don't know. So many times when guys get hit with that they sour on the team. It's clearly in play and if these last two games he has multiple picks and a TD, it might be the better call as some team may back a truck full of money up to him and we'd get nothing with the franchise tag.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I think whether or not Flus is retained will matter here

Its generally easier to find Corners for his system
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

EricTighe
MVP

I wish we would just sign him already.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

EricTighe wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:27 pm I wish we would just sign him already.
Lets not go patting ourselves on the back for this take just yet - Hurts the shoulder
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A 23 minute discussion with Parkins & Spiegel:

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Courtesy of Mark Potash:
Rarely has a player without skill-position stats made as much of a “prove-it” season as Johnson.

When Johnson played, the Bears’ passer rating allowed was 88.8 (24 touchdowns, 21 interceptions) — which would be seventh in the NFL. In three games he did not play, it was 116.2 (seven touchdowns, one interception) — which would be last in the NFL.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:55 pm Courtesy of Mark Potash:
Rarely has a player without skill-position stats made as much of a “prove-it” season as Johnson.

When Johnson played, the Bears’ passer rating allowed was 88.8 (24 touchdowns, 21 interceptions) — which would be seventh in the NFL. In three games he did not play, it was 116.2 (seven touchdowns, one interception) — which would be last in the NFL.
It's an excellent point - I might have come around to having to pay him 20 a year
Xee
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:55 pm Courtesy of Mark Potash:

I'm really curious how this turns out. Can't remember the last time we had a homegrown player at a premier position be in the top, what, 15 in the league?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:36 am I'm really curious how this turns out. Can't remember the last time we had a homegrown player at a premier position be in the top, what, 15 in the league?
At CB it would be Kyle Fuller.
malk
Head Coach

We really should have extended Johnson last year but it is what it is. The CB market isn't as broken as some others though, top at $21m, 5th at $19.4m, 10th at $14.8m. Receiver contracts are much worse. I think the biggest knock on him are the regular injuries but if it needs to be 4 years for $80m it is what it is.

Franchise is a bad idea, might as well go with the transition tag and match an offer.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Middleguard
MVP

Poles, "Johnson isn't going anywhere."
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Middleguard wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:47 pm Poles, "Johnson isn't going anywhere."
He better not. It would be a really bad look for Poles to say go out and prove your worth as much as you say, the guy goes out and has his best year, and then Poles doesn't pay him? As others have said use Ejaxs money for JJ
RichH55
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:29 pm We really should have extended Johnson last year but it is what it is. The CB market isn't as broken as some others though, top at $21m, 5th at $19.4m, 10th at $14.8m. Receiver contracts are much worse. I think the biggest knock on him are the regular injuries but if it needs to be 4 years for $80m it is what it is.

Franchise is a bad idea, might as well go with the transition tag and match an offer.
WR market - at least for the midtier guys - had a bit of a correction last offseason.