Sedrick Van Pran-Granger C, Georgia Bulldogs

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

If we do not gain a Center in FA, Sedrick Van Pran-Granger is my favorite draft prospect at the position. He really is a pure Center, not a G, his snaps look clean, and he moves well with great run blocking skills.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Sed ... OL-Georgia
Scouting Report: Strengths

- Though he might fit better in a zone-blocking approach, Van Pran has the scheme versatility, football IQ, and instincts to serve as a reliable starter in any team.
- His stout build, combined with a strong, flexible core, serves him well, especially when dealing with larger defensive tackles.
- Prides himself in the run game, displaying tremendous physicality and playing through the whistle.
- As a cerebral player, he's quick to react to twists and stunts up front, displaying an excellent understanding of angles when moving out as a run blocker.
- He’s a coordinated athlete who can win at the point of attack in the run game.
- A mauler in the run game, Van Pran plays with a nasty disposition and shows excellent snap and punch quickness.

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Good choice. But unless the Bears get a 2nd round pick, they won't get this guy. Jackson Powes-Johnson from Oregon should be there in the 3rd or 4th.
Last edited by Grizzled on Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Frazier is the backup I feel
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

EricTighe
MVP

There are at least 7 top graded Centers coming out next year. Good draft for Centers. Thats before the all-star games and combine.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

EricTighe wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:03 pm There are at least 7 top graded Centers coming out next year. Good draft for Centers. Thats before the all-star games and combine.
Yeah, I have a half-dozen plus with what I'd consider draftable grades, including at least three I like before Day 3.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Bryan Hudson from Louisville is good.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:01 am Good choice. But unless the Bears get a 2nd round pick, they won't get this guy. Jackson Powes-Johnson from Oregon should be there in the 3rd or 4th.
Yeah, I thought about that too Griz... That said, I also think Poles is going to trade draft capital and expect he might gain a 2nd.

I will watch some tape of Jackson Powes-Johnson. I read an article from October about him and looks like he has been putting up some very good numbers... "second among FBS centers with a pass-blocking grade of 90.1 and third with a 82.9 run-blocking grade from PFF. He has allowed just one quarterback pressure and one hurry in 256 opportunities and leads No. 8 Oregon with 23 knockdowns entering this week’s game at No. 13 Utah."

I also think Van Pran could go earlier than expected... The guy has been a mauler at Center since his high school days.

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

The first video I came across on was not the best look for Jackson Powes-Johnson and made me laugh. He is athletic but the leap did not look like a good move for him at all. LOL

thunderspirit
Head Coach

The issue I have with Powers-Johnson (probably not fair to call it an issue, more a concern) is similar to the one I have with Arkansas' Beaux Limmer: each has played C full-time for just this season.

That versatility moves them up my board somewhat, absolutely. But I'm hesitant to draft either guy and think that, by itself, addresses the center position. YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:41 am
Grizzled wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:01 am Good choice. But unless the Bears get a 2nd round pick, they won't get this guy. Jackson Powes-Johnson from Oregon should be there in the 3rd or 4th.
Yeah, I thought about that too Griz... That said, I also think Poles is going to trade draft capital and expect he might gain a 2nd.

I will watch some tape of Jackson Powes-Johnson. I read an article from October about him and looks like he has been putting up some very good numbers... "second among FBS centers with a pass-blocking grade of 90.1 and third with a 82.9 run-blocking grade from PFF. He has allowed just one quarterback pressure and one hurry in 256 opportunities and leads No. 8 Oregon with 23 knockdowns entering this week’s game at No. 13 Utah."

I also think Van Pran could go earlier than expected... The guy has been a mauler at Center since his high school days.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a high 2nd pick. On the day of the draft, however, guys get picked higher than expected, maybe he's even a late 1st rounder. If the Bears are willing to trade #1 (not take one of the top 2 QBs, possibly take a QB lower on the first or not at all), they should get that high 2nd as part of a deal.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

I don’t get why he doesn’t have a first round grade. 42 consecutive starts at Center for Georgia during one of the best three year runs in modern CFB history. Take Maserati Marv 1st, trade down 2-3 times for an absolute haul of picks, then take SVP late in the first round.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He looks good but Frazier is my guy. The four WV state wrestling championships are the thing for me. Bring him to Chicago and hook him up with Kreutz.

xyt in the discord chats
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:58 am He looks good but Frazier is my guy. The four WV state wrestling championships are the thing for me. Bring him to Chicago and hook him up with Kreutz.
His grappling skills are impressive to me as well. That said, he would be a nice consolation prize if you cannot draft SVP.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I watched SVP’s snaps.

Forget the grappling, can he snap the same ball as most of our Centers can’t.

Mostly they’re spot on - straight at the QBs hands.
Occasionally they’re chin high - not a problem.
None are egregiously low.
On that video there was one ridiculously high snap, I can live with that
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:37 am I watched SVP’s snaps.

Forget the grappling, can he snap the same ball as most of our Centers can’t.

Mostly they’re spot on - straight at the QBs hands.
Occasionally they’re chin high - not a problem.
None are egregiously low.
On that video there was one ridiculously high snap, I can live with that
It is rare that you find an OL that has played C since high school and his comfort snapping the ball shows well on tape.

SVP is hands down the best Center in the draft. He has fluid snaps with great zone blocking technique. He should be the priority pick for the Bears.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

EricTighe
MVP

There are a few others in this draft that should be interesting to see how they do during the pre-draft season.

In 2021 as a freshman Powers-Johnson saw action in 7 games and played a total of 126 snaps for the Ducks. He allowed just one QB hurry, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing the majority of his snaps at right guard, and the rest at left guard.

As a sophomore in 2022 he played in 11 games and a total of 382 snaps. He conceded just one QB hurry, one QB hit, and no sacks while playing most of his snaps at right guard.

In 2023 as a junior Powers-Johnson saw action in 13 games and totaled 829 snaps. He gave up just one QB hurry, no QB hits, and no sacks while playing at center.

Doubt he falls to the third round. .
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Georgia governor praises UGA's Sedrick Van Pran
https://ugawire.usatoday.com/2024/01/06 ... -van-pran/

Van Pran’s message to Georgia faithful exemplifies why he is so beloved by the UGA fanbase.

“To the University of Georgia, Thank you,” Van Pran wrote in an Instagram post. “You have given a kid from New Orleans a chance to live his dreams. I can not tell you how much this university will forever mean to me. My brothers who I have played with, we have been through so much! Thank you all for always having my back and being family. To my coaches I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to grow, I was never perfect but I was given the room to become a better man and person! To my family and friends, thank you for the love and amazing support. There have been many days that you all have helped me get through. Finally, to God… you are the reason I am here. I owe you everything! Through the ups and downs you have been there and pushed me to become better. I am so grateful for you! I can’t wait to see what your next steps for me are! #Willock77″

Van Pran will be one of the first centers taken off the board at the 2024 NFL draft, which will take place from April 25-27 in Detroit.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach