History of trading up

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Didn't know if this should be in a Justin or Caleb thread, so I just put it here.

About 20 minutes long has good trades and bad trades.

Not that it matters but there have been two trade ups where a USC QB was taken. Neither worked out well - Darnold and Sanchez.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

all I know about trading up from the Bears perspective is that the Bears do not know how to do it
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 am all I know about trading up from the Bears perspective is that the Bears do not know how to do it
Yeah we have a horrible track record in doing that.
IotaNet
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:02 am
Boris13c wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:41 am all I know about trading up from the Bears perspective is that the Bears do not know how to do it
I have to ask this: Why do we always go back to the Bears' "Track record" on anything these days? All the FO personnel are different now. Warren, Poles, Cunningham, et al represent a whole new regime. Heck, Cliff Stein isn't even there anymore.

From every indication Poles and Cunningham are highly respected around the league and they pulled off a masterful 2023 draft. Kevin Warren is hailed far and wide as a top-flight Football man and so far, he seems to be saying and doing all the right things.

I know there's a reluctance to hope for the best but some of the tropes we've heard in the past (Cheap Virginia McCaskey, Dumb George McCaskey, Wimpy Mike McCaskey) really need to be put to bed, don't you think?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
spudbear
MVP

IotaNet wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:01 pm

I have to ask this: Why do we always go back to the Bears' "Track record" on anything these days? All the FO personnel are different now. Warren, Poles, Cunningham, et al represent a whole new regime. Heck, Cliff Stein isn't even there anymore.

From every indication Poles and Cunningham are highly respected around the league and they pulled off a masterful 2023 draft. Kevin Warren is hailed far and wide as a top-flight Football man and so far, he seems to be saying and doing all the right things.

I know there's a reluctance to hope for the best but some of the tropes we've heard in the past (Cheap Virginia McCaskey, Dumb George McCaskey, Wimpy Mike McCaskey) really need to be put to bed, don't you think?
It seems like Virginia has left things to George and told the other butthead McCaskeys to keep out, and George learned enough from the last go-round with Pace/Nagus that he does not involve himself with what happens on the playing field but keeps a pulse on the business. While Sweaty Teddy may have made a bunch of money for them I think Halas Hall is different now that he is gone. For the better?
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

Never said it was determinate of the outcome. Just stating a fact.

Much like when I said the history of trading up to draft USC QBs wasn't good.

I've stated your point when "people" say Caleb shouldn't want to come to Chicago because of their history with QBs. Different time, different people running the show.

Heck, I'd say Poles has a good history with trading up, albeit a small sample size. He traded up to get Stephenson and that work out well (I admit I was wrong for saying he drafted the wrong CB).

And yes, I'm beyond pointing to the old front office for mistakes. Just like I've said I trust Poles, I trust Warren as well. I think the organization is in a good spot in that regard.

But Floyd and Trubisky were simply bad. Heck, I think if you look at the video, there are just so many guys that teams moved up for that were awful IMO you tend to be better off not giving up the farm for one guy. I just hope that there are a few teams that don't follow my mantra and get into a bidding war and Poles is forced to say "yes."
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

spudbear wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:45 pm

It seems like Virginia has left things to George and told the other butthead McCaskeys to keep out, and George learned enough from the last go-round with Pace/Nagus that he does not involve himself with what happens on the playing field but keeps a pulse on the business. While Sweaty Teddy may have made a bunch of money for them I think Halas Hall is different now that he is gone. For the better?
Good question.

Poles is not “Bears” in my opinion, Poles is an effective operator in this business.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural