McClure: Don't expect much from Carimi yet

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Tussling over a starting spot is the last thing on the minds of Gabe Carimi and Lance Louis.

The Bears offensive linemen say they are more concerned about doing what's best for the team, and that means keeping things status quo for Monday night's game against the Eagles. As reported last week, Louis is expected to remain the starter at right tackle in Philadelphia while Carimi continues to work his way back from a partially dislocated right knee. Coach Lovie Smith and offensive coordinator Mike Martz both indicated there was no need to rush the rookie back into a starting role.

"I'm not sure yet,'' he said. "It's going to be up to the coaches. I know they want me to be confident on (my knee), so I'm just waiting for that."

Carimi no doubt got a little more extensive work Tuesday with guard Chris Spencer (hand) resting as a precaution. Louis, the starting at right guard to begin the season, has been praised for his work at right tackle in Carimi's absence.

"I wouldn't say I'm playing great," Louis said. "I just feel like I need to up my awareness more on the field and finish things better."

Bennett watch: Wide receiver Earl Bennett has been cleared medically to play Monday night after being sidelined since Week 2 with an upper body injury. Bennett was held out against the Bucs in London as a precaution.

He is expected to be a much-needed threat for quarterback Jay Cutler against the Eagles' 10th-ranked pass defense. Bennett has a career average of 12.6 yards per catch.

"We don't have to wonder what he can do, we've seen him in just about every situation,'' Smith said.

New face: Linebacker Jabara Williams had his first practice as a Bear on Tuesday after being claimed off waivers from the Rams last week. Williams stayed after practice to get some extra tutoring on special teams.

The Bears view him as a four-phase special teams contributor down the road, but there won't be a rush to use him in that capacity because the special teams units have played well. Still, Williams remains eager.

"Special teams is pretty much the role for a rookie coming in," he said. "That's where I'll start and work from there. I hope to be on all four (phases).''

Extra points: Defensive end Julius Peppers (knee), tight end Kellen Davis (undisclosed), and Spencer were among the Bears rested during Tuesday's practice. … Running back Armando Allen from Notre Dame was re-signed to the practice squad.