What does trading the 1st round pick actually look like?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Z Bear
MVP

Pretty much all the NFL insiders are saying Fields is going to be traded and the Bears are taking Williams. People around here need to start to embrace it is about to happen. Although I would of rode with Fields one more year, I can also appreciate taking the best QB prospect in years.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:43 am If you trade down again this year, and Fields shits the bed. The Bears will have two 1st round picks next year. If they trade with a team like The Commanders or the Giants, both have a better than even chance of ending up with a top 5 pick next year. I just don't see how you can pass up on this much draft capital with a better than average QB in-house, whose stock is still ascending.
I fucking love your idea of trading with the Commanders, get a 25R1, then again down to the Giants, draft Odunze, get a 25R1.

A potential star WR2 and then we’d have three total first rounders in 2025.

Then at 9, I mean, whatever, BPA DL. I really hope we sign Hunter or Burns so this isn’t a concern because then the options really open up at 9. Bowers. Kinchens.

But with three 25R1 picks we’d have all the ammo in the world to replace JF1 if we need to (we won’t) or keep building the team.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:09 am Pretty much all the NFL insiders are saying Fields is going to be traded and the Bears are taking Williams. People around here need to start to embrace it is about to happen. Although I would of rode with Fields one more year, I can also appreciate taking the best QB prospect in years.
What would you say the accuracy rate is of sports people who make predictions?
Z Bear
MVP

About 95% when they are talking about the first overall pick.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:09 am Pretty much all the NFL insiders are saying Fields is going to be traded and the Bears are taking Williams. People around here need to start to embrace it is about to happen. Although I would of rode with Fields one more year, I can also appreciate taking the best QB prospect in years.
To be fair, no one is really claiming inside knowledge. Only one who's gotten close to claiming any insider knowledge was Greg Gabriel.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Hogue Jahns and Lucus on Fields:

[video][/video]

Good is defined as a solid starter you can win with.

The whole thing is a bit of a slog but I think worth it.
They did one on defense too.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 am Hogue Jahns and Lucus on Fields:

[video][/video]

Gotta clear the schedule to be able to watch this one lol.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:12 am
You have to factor in Poles on this. I think he is two steps ahead of most GMs. What if he is making sure everyone "knows" the Bears are taking Williams at #1 so that the price to move to #1 to get him only grows.

Team A calls in "we'd like to offer you x, y and z for number one.

Poles "no thanks, we think Caleb will help us more than that would."

That gets out and the bidding war starts and he gets even more for #1 than he did last year.
LacertineForest
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:11 am
dave99 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:43 am Hogue Jahns and Lucus on Fields:

[video][/video]

I thought @dave99 did a good job of putting the timestamp right where they're discussing Fields. I only watched that part of it, and it was a good discussion (although nothing we haven't all said around here, ad nauseum).
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:19 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:12 am

You have to factor in Poles on this. I think he is two steps ahead of most GMs. What if he is making sure everyone "knows" the Bears are taking Williams at #1 so that the price to move to #1 to get him only grows.

Team A calls in "we'd like to offer you x, y and z for number one.

Poles "no thanks, we think Caleb will help us more than that would."

That gets out and the bidding war starts and he gets even more for #1 than he did last year.
I 100% agree. Poles is a smart guy especially when it comes to the draft. He FLEECED the Panthers. I wouldn’t put it past him to put out disinfo or manipulate the other GMs that all.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:32 am
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:11 am

I thought @dave99 did a good job of putting the timestamp right where they're discussing Fields. I only watched that part of it, and it was a good discussion (although nothing we haven't all said around here, ad nauseum).
Huh, timestamp didn't seem to load for me.
dave99
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:59 am
LacertineForest wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:32 am

Huh, timestamp didn't seem to load for me.
About 1:23:20
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
otis
Pro Bowler

i gotta say, after watching the playoffs, having a guy that can snap the ball is pretty enticing. i like fields and wish he was answer. but he soo slow throwing the ball. his windup seems to last forever. i think the nfl has migrated to the quick decision and release and fields doesn't do that. it sucks but it just feels like williams is the plan. snap throws and nice bombs. i'd love the trade down bounty but i don't think it's gonna happen.
Road
Pro Bowler

To me, it’s all about the picks. The more you have the better your chances. It’s not only the starters either. The draft is where you build depth. Also the players are behind Fields and believe in him. I Trust’n Fields, give him to tools to prosper.
This is an exceptional opportunity to strengthen the entire team into a dynasty!
That’s my conceptual continuity.
docc
Head Coach

Draft can be like Roulette. Put the ball on one number..or put 4 or five on the wheel.. No number is a winner but odds favor one of the choices yeilds a winner or more..
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

docc wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:23 pm Draft can be like Roulette. Put the ball on one number..or put 4 or five on the wheel.. No number is a winner but odds favor one of the choices yeilds a winner or more..
The other thing here is that Ryan Poles is GOOD at drafting.

Not only are multiple high round picks worth something, but they're worth even more in the right hands.

In addition to mitigating the risk of One QB v Trade Down 2.0 I'm making a bet on Ryan Poles and with what he's done I do that no problem at all.