Honest answers: Would you be more open-minded about Drake Maye if he wasn't #10 from North Carolina?

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Burl
Crafty Veteran

I'll admit that the Maye/Trubisky stuff probably does or has influenced what I think the Bears will do, or at least how teams are evaluating Wiliams and Maye.

Listening to Brugler and some others recently, it seems that they're a lot closer as prospects than most people think.

I'll be happy with either one. I mean, last year Bryce Young was largely considered the consensus #1, and Stroud appears clearly better. Just have to deal with whatever the evaluators/Poles land on.

There WILL be a lot of comparisons to taking Trubisky over Watson/Mahomes though if Maye goes #1.

I'd really love to rake Washington over the coals and take Maye at #2 while maybe getting our pick back for Sweat or something.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:23 am I'll admit that the Maye/Trubisky stuff probably does or has influenced what I think the Bears will do, or at least how teams are evaluating Wiliams and Maye.

Listening to Brugler and some others recently, it seems that they're a lot closer as prospects than most people think.

I'll be happy with either one. I mean, last year Bryce Young was largely considered the consensus #1, and Stroud appears clearly better. Just have to deal with whatever the evaluators/Poles land on.

There WILL be a lot of comparisons to taking Trubisky over Watson/Mahomes though if Maye goes #1.

I'd really love to rake Washington over the coals and take Maye at #2 while maybe getting our pick back for Sweat or something.
I think they probably need to give up more than that to move the 1 spot IIRC (Could be wrong)
ramentaschen
Assistant Coach

I'd rather roll with Fields + Bagent as a back up for one more year and draft a WR or DE stud.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:41 pm
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:33 pm

I just used the site you initially used for your Drake Maye scouting report.

Drake Maye has prototypical QB size but is not the number one prospect over a little bit of an undersized QB because he has issues.
This is not really how that works ... It's not like they are saying Maye is bad or that Caleb isn't one of the highest rated prospects to come out at QB in years

Also wouldn't that speak to just what teams thought on Fields coming out? In terms of size, arm strength, and speed - He's pretty much the blueprint of what you'd want in those regards. Roughly 1/3 of the League that needed QBs decided not to pick him - Including multiple teams that took different QBs

Maybe they are all idiots - but presumably there was at least SOME issue they worried about in his game
It’s not a competition for #1. Williams has been the best college prospect for the past two years.

Fields did have issues and so does Maye, you can see multiple times on tape where his mechanics are poor in the pocket and his poor feel leads him to unnecessarily run himself into sacks. He also has issues adjusting his post snap reads. A lot of his issues are similar to Fields’s.

And then there is this:

My point in using the site you used for Fields was just to demonstrate that the scouting reports can be overly optimistic.

Scouting reports don’t really mean anything just watch them yourself.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

ramentaschen wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:01 am I'd rather roll with Fields + Bagent as a back up for one more year and draft a WR or DE stud.
You might have to invent said DE stud
artbest01
Assistant Coach

Imo, that likely leads to two more bad losses to the packers and the exit of fields, flus and possibly poles

quote=ramentaschen post_id=369068 time=1706598071 user_id=1280]
I'd rather roll with Fields + Bagent as a back up for one more year and draft a WR or DE stud.
[/quote]
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

artbest01 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:57 am Imo, that likely leads to two more bad losses to the packers and the exit of fields, flus and possibly poles

Is that a better scenario then Williams with Flus for one year then a new head coach? Honestly would like to know your opinion on that. I hope the Bears are a playoff team but history tells me if we draft a QB Flus is getting fired in a year.

That's my biggest fear about drafting a QB. If someone is going to be fucked up I'd rather just add to Justin's issues then do it to a brand new QB. I have 0 faith in this staff to develop a QB.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:53 am
artbest01 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:57 am Imo, that likely leads to two more bad losses to the packers and the exit of fields, flus and possibly poles

Is that a better scenario then Williams with Flus for one year then a new head coach? Honestly would like to know your opinion on that. I hope the Bears are a playoff team but history tells me if we draft a QB Flus is getting fired in a year.

That's my biggest fear about drafting a QB. If someone is going to be fucked up I'd rather just add to Justin's issues then do it to a brand new QB. I have 0 faith in this staff to develop a QB.
100% agreement.

New coach and QB together.
I Take The Field With Fields

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:08 pm
ramentaschen wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:01 am I'd rather roll with Fields + Bagent as a back up for one more year and draft a WR or DE stud.
Rich do you not like any of the DEs in the draft?

I wasn't big on Dallas Turner until he put on some weight and still played great. I though him more of OLB in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3 DE. I'd be fine with drafting him or Verse at 9. I like the UCLA kid the most until you factor in his injury history. The Bears' track record with injuries and 1st round picks is BAD. So that make me worry about him. Still think he could be the best out of the lot.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:01 am
RichH55 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:08 pm

I wasn't big on Dallas Turner until he put on some weight and still played great. I though him more of OLB in a 3-4 as opposed to a 4-3 DE. I'd be fine with drafting him or Verse at 9. I like the UCLA kid the most until you factor in his injury history. The Bears' track record with injuries and 1st round picks is BAD. So that make me worry about him. Still think he could be the best out of the lot.
Have to do more research - but this feels like a very Offensive Top Heavy draft
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:42 pm

That’s a fair point. BPA at 9 might be an offensive player.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I really want one of those top 3 WR prospects.
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:42 pm

It's entirely possible that the first 13 picks are on offense. Turner, Newton, Verse, and DeJean have a chance to sneak in there depending on how the first few picks go. I think Turner could go as high as 4 to AZ.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:47 pm I really want one of those top 3 WR prospects.
I think you’re going to be a very happy man.
I Take The Field With Fields

wulfy
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:16 am Helmet scouting is A Thing. It's an unconscious bias (sometimes a conscious one, in fact) that one needs to be aware of and actively try to overcome.

I do think Maye was better last year than this one, like @Z Bear says. To be fair, he did lose his top 2 receivers from 2022 (and IIRC, Dez Walker's ineligibility early on meant Walker couldn't even practice with the team until the NCAA reversed their decision in October), so that probably impacted things.
Argument can be (accurately) made that Caleb was better last year too.

But for sure, we associate players with both schools and past experiences. For all of the complaint on a UNC QB, Southern Cal has produced a series of fairly awful QBs over the last 20 years. It just so happens that the UNC QB Bust was ours.

*Drafted USC QBs since Carson Palmer 20 years ago: Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel (not really a "bust" where he was drafted, but not a good QB), John David Booty, Mark Sanchez, Matt Barkley, Cody Kessler, Sam Darnold. So not exactly QB U either.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:37 pm
dplank wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:47 pm I really want one of those top 3 WR prospects.
I think you’re going to be a very happy man.
I'm still trying to figure out how we trade back and get 2 second round picks that we use on a WR and center and somehow still come away with Bowers.

With all the hype around Washington wanting one and there being so many suitors for the #1, maybe we #2, the 2 second round picks they have and a '25 first.
We could then get Bowers at 9. That doesn't seem likely.

Maybe we trade #1 get a second as part of the deal and Vegas wants to move to #9 as a QB slips and we snag Bowers at #13. I have seen some mocks that have him slipping past that point with a run on QBs like JJ, Penix and Nix.

I just think a center in the second is boarder line a must given the talent that should be there.

I just don't think the Washington deal will pan out, so Harrison is most likely out of the picture.

So I think Naber/Odunze (plus a later TE) might not have the same impact as Bowers plus Xavier Worthy/McConkey/Xavier Legette/Roman Wilson/Keon Coleman (he's likely gone in the 1st I'll admit, but things change).
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Which college is consistently cranking out NFL QB's? We should target that one.
wab
Mod

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:38 pm Which college is consistently cranking out NFL QB's? We should target that one.
Oklahoma has a decent track record lately.

I’m starting to wonder if Daniels/Nabers in the top 10 isn’t a reality we need to consider.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:40 pm
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:38 pm Which college is consistently cranking out NFL QB's? We should target that one.
Oklahoma has a decent track record lately.

I’m starting to wonder if Daniels/Nabers in the top 10 isn’t a reality we need to consider.
They put out the "We'd need a Historic " package to move #1 today .....so I still think that means moving on from Fields - but a different Rookie QB could be in the mix
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

So I have watched a bunch of Drake Maye. I'm slowly going through the QBs.

This kid has a ton of talent. He navigates the pocket really well. He moves coverage with pump fakes really well. He has a great arm and accuracy. Hes athletic. He does some wow things.

Having watched a lot of draftable QBs hes right up there coming in to the draft. I would say his arm is comparable to Carson Palmer. His pocket awareness is like Goff coming out of college. I still have concerns about the system but he seems to be very aware of coverages. Maybe not rushes. Those things are hard without system input to grade.

Long story hes pretty fucking good.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mack Brown's system is an Air Raid variant, but he's had some decent college QBs in his time, though honestly no one who's made much of an NFL impact just yet (Chris Simms, Vince Young, and Colt McCoy at Texas; Sam Howell and Drake Maye at NC).
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: