Bears fire OC Luke Getsy, QB coach Andrew Jonoko

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

artbest01
Assistant Coach

I agree, in season, he went from terrible to ok. We saw that same thing happen in 2022. When we look at year over year improvement, there is some as a passer, but not much imo. At the rate he’s ascending, it may take another 3-5 years for him to be a legit nfl passer, not just a player who makes the occasional “wow” plays. Even at the end of the season, we saw Justin play lights out against Atlanta followed by another deer in the headlights game against the one team owns him - the packers. Twice in the second half of the season, he led an offense that failed to score a touchdown against a divisional opponent. Obviously not all his fault, but he has culpability. If we were, say, packer or Viking fans, what would we think of Justin Fields? “Ascending” or hoping against hope that the Bears stick with him?

On another note, Janocko is now the Saints QB coach

quote=dplank post_id=370691 time=1707486604 user_id=1910]
He’s ascending Art, the difference from week 1-4 to weeks 9-17 is obvious and notable to anyone who gives him a fair evaluation. I think your problem is that he’ ascended from horrible to mid, not from mid to upper tier. So he requires more ascension to be where everyone wants. Some (me, DD, TMP, Hurricane, etc) believe he can continue trending up into Top 10 territory and some think he’s peaked (and some, oddly IMO, think the 24 year old will regress).
[/quote]
dplank
Hall of Famer

artbest01 wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:57 am I agree, in season, he went from terrible to ok. We saw that same thing happen in 2022. When we look at year over year improvement, there is some as a passer, but not much imo. At the rate he’s ascending, it may take another 3-5 years for him to be a legit nfl passer, not just a player who makes the occasional “wow” plays. Even at the end of the season, we saw Justin play lights out against Atlanta followed by another deer in the headlights game against the one team owns him - the packers. Twice in the second half of the season, he led an offense that failed to score a touchdown against a divisional opponent. Obviously not all his fault, but he has culpability. If we were, say, packer or Viking fans, what would we think of Justin Fields? “Ascending” or hoping against hope that the Bears stick with him?

On another note, Janocko is now the Saints QB coach

quote=dplank post_id=370691 time=1707486604 user_id=1910]
He’s ascending Art, the difference from week 1-4 to weeks 9-17 is obvious and notable to anyone who gives him a fair evaluation. I think your problem is that he’ ascended from horrible to mid, not from mid to upper tier. So he requires more ascension to be where everyone wants. Some (me, DD, TMP, Hurricane, etc) believe he can continue trending up into Top 10 territory and some think he’s peaked (and some, oddly IMO, think the 24 year old will regress).
[/quote]

It’s all fair Art, I just put a lot more blame on Getsy (and Flus for an overarching conservative defense drive strategy) than you do. Getsy ran the ball so much Fields didn’t have much of a chance to put up big passing numbers. I don’t think it’s crazy to want to see him paired with Waldron - plus it allows for a proper 4 year rookie QB growth window, which matters when you draft a raw talent like Justin. Just look where Love went in Y4, I 100% believe Justin can do what Love just did. No one here thought Love was going to do that last year.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Apparently Tom Brady is buying a 7% stake in the Las Vegas Raiders and while the transaction's been pending, he's been acting as an unofficial advisor to Mark Davis, helping on the coaching search and the hiring of offensive coordinator Luke Getsy.

https://www.nfl.com/news/tom-brady-on-t ... e-with-fox