2024 Combine Talk

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Here is an article giving the stats that Poles pays attention to at each position:

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... -the-most/

Of course, the team also looks at film, talks to people who know the players, etc. But pure athleticism seems to be a big criteria.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:29 pm Here is an article giving the stats that Poles pays attention to at each position:

Of course, the team also looks at film, talks to people who know the players, etc. But pure athleticism seems to be a big criteria.
It is. I've drawn a couple of conclusions from the two Ryan Poles draft classes we have at two spots where I think we have enough selections to identify trends (with the caveat that it's always dangerous to draw conclusions from small sample sizes).
  • 5 DBs: they average 201 lbs and are all at least 5'11" (okay, 5' 10 7/8") with at least 9" hands. Elijah Hicks is an outlier on the arm length (less than 31 inches).
  • 5 OL: they have all been about the third quartile in broad jump (Zachary Thomas was the lowest at the 74th percentile — Braxton Jones was 78th percentile, Doug Kramer was 83rd percentile, J'Tyre Carter was 89th percentile, and Darnell Wright was 95th percentile).

Under Poles, the Bears have drafted three DTs, two RBs, two WRs, one DE, and one LB; I don't know that we can conclude anything about any of those positions just yet. DTs each had above-average 40-times; RBs both had very good 10-yard splits; and the WRs both ran sub-4.40 40-yeard times (and have issues catching), but with a sample sizes so small I don't know that it's fair to assume we have a trend just yet.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:15 pm
Grizzled wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:29 pm Here is an article giving the stats that Poles pays attention to at each position:

It is. I've drawn a couple of conclusions from the two Ryan Poles draft classes we have at two spots where I think we have enough selections to identify trends (with the caveat that it's always dangerous to draw conclusions from small sample sizes).
  • 5 DBs: they average 201 lbs and are all at least 5'11" (okay, 5' 10 7/8") with at least 9" hands. Elijah Hicks is an outlier on the arm length (less than 31 inches).
  • 5 OL: they have all been about the third quartile in broad jump (Zachary Thomas was the lowest at the 74th percentile — Braxton Jones was 78th percentile, Doug Kramer was 83rd percentile, J'Tyre Carter was 89th percentile, and Darnell Wright was 95th percentile).

Under Poles, the Bears have drafted three DTs, two RBs, two WRs, one DE, and one LB; I don't know that we can conclude anything about any of those positions just yet. DTs each had above-average 40-times; RBs both had very good 10-yard splits; and the WRs both ran sub-4.40 40-yeard times (and have issues catching), but with a sample sizes so small I don't know that it's fair to assume we have a trend just yet.
Poles seems to want DEs 6'4 or more and 250 or more.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:14 am
Poles seems to want DEs 6'4 or more and 250 or more.
This is probably the case, although it's possible that's been a supply issue moreso than a demand one.
KFFL refugee.

wulfy
MVP

A few guys I'm interested in seeing how they perform athletically:

RB Bucky Irving | Oregon - he's got some Tarik Cohen Wiggle in him and we could use a pure 3rd down back.
DT Brandon Fiske | Florida State - seems to fit the Poles/'flus mold of tall, disruptive 3Ts that should be available in the 2nd round. Just not sure how athletic he is.
DE Laiatu Latu | UCLA - will be all about his medicals
WR Ricky Pearsall | Florida - great route runner - interesting slot prospect and available for less draft capital than Ladd McConkey. Has to run well.
TE Cade Stover | THE Ohio State University - guy makes plays constantly, good U/H prospect - gets hurt a lot.
G Christian Haynes | UConn - really looked good in Mobile.
C Beaux Limmer, | Arkansas - mauler, but not sure how athletic he is
wab
Mod

FWIW, and I don't know if it will be the case with the Bears, but Seattle has generally had massive guards. Damien Lewis, Gabe Jackson, Phil Haynes, and Anthony Bradford all played guard under Waldron, and all 4 averaged about 329 and change.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears target a bigger OG in the draft at some point. Jenkins is like 320, but Nate Davis (315) and Carter (311) are a little on the smaller side.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I am very squeamish about Latu. His game tape isn't a concern, but the medicals would almost certainly scare me away.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:16 pm I am very squeamish about Latu. His game tape isn't a concern, but the medicals would almost certainly scare me away.
Yeah, a dude that medically retired a year ago really gives me some pause.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

There certainly has to be some concern and caution, but playing 2 full years at a really high level without issue makes me feel a lot better about it.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:48 pm There certainly has to be some concern and caution, but playing 2 full years at a really high level without issue makes me feel a lot better about it.
It makes me feel better.
It does not make me feel a lot better.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:29 pm Invite list is out:

https://www.nfl.com/news/full-list-of-p ... er_nfl_cfb
Of the guys who weren't invited, I think I'm most surprised by Carson Steele and Mark Perry.
KFFL refugee.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:36 pm FWIW, and I don't know if it will be the case with the Bears, but Seattle has generally had massive guards. Damien Lewis, Gabe Jackson, Phil Haynes, and Anthony Bradford all played guard under Waldron, and all 4 averaged about 329 and change.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears target a bigger OG in the draft at some point. Jenkins is like 320, but Nate Davis (315) and Carter (311) are a little on the smaller side.
10 lbs, heck that’s probably the difference between weighing before or after the morning movement or not for these guys.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think Jenkins was forced to play below his natural weight. Davis and Carter are slightly smaller dudes though.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:30 am I think Jenkins was forced to play below his natural weight. Davis and Carter are slightly smaller dudes though.
Jenkins came to the combine at 310...then the Bears forced him to balloon up to 345. Same with Borom. He was 320 when he was drafted and got up to a reported 355.

320 seems about right for both of them...

Davis may be listed at 315, but when you see him next to Jenkins or Wright, he's clearly much much smaller.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I anticipate that the measurements released from the Senior Bowl and the East-West Shrine Game will be fairly close to the official measurements at the Combine. The Senior Bowl results, in particular, have been very close to those of the Combine.

WR, CB, and to a lesser extent S and RB are stopwatch positions. I always have interest with the offensive lineman in the shuttle drill and with edge guys and linebackers in the 3-cone (it's telling how few did them last year).

At WR, my small-school crush this year is Jalen Coker. At RB, it's Dylan Laube.

Besides those two, I'd like to see how these WRs, all of whom return punts, run:
  • Ainias Smith
  • Jha'Quan Jackson
  • Anthony Gould
  • Tayvion Robinson
  • Xavier Weaver
I'll honestly be a little surprised if Poles doesn't spend another top-60 pick on a DB — he's grabbed three in his two drafts. A lot will depend on whether he wants to/is able to trade down and add some Day 2 picks. I like Caelan Carson and Max Melton a lot there.

At OL, I want to see what kind of an athlete Josiah Ezirim is. I want to see how well Zach Frazier has recovered from a nasty broken leg. I want to see if Jacob Monk has enough athletic ability to be an NFL starter. And there are a half-dozen older guys at the interior line this year (Puni, McCormick, Ayedze, Gadlin, Nourzad, Sundell, Gargiulo) who need to convince teams they can play right away, because most aren't drafting a guy who's 24 and hoping they develop.

On defense, I am hopeful that Brennan Jackson shows some athleticism after two consecutive very good years in the Pac 12 (he also flashed during 2020's truncated season). I am curious how Austin Booker measures — he only had one good year in college, but it was an impressive one. I think @wab is right that Myles Cole might make himself a lot of money in Indy if he tests, but I have to admit the guy's lack of production no matter where Texas Tech put him gives me a lot of pause, especially when compared to a guy like Eric Watts, who's about the same size and is six months younger than Cole, yet had considerably more impact (admittedly, not playing against Big 12 competition).
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

For whatever my opinion is worth (not a whole lot, even to me), this is my pre-Combine draft board.
KFFL refugee.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Teams get to interview candidates for 15 minutes at the Combine. Will a QB stand out, elevate himself in the eyes of the Bears or eliminate himself based on this?

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... qb-choice/
wab
Mod

My small school guys on defense are Cole Bishop (S - Utah), Jalyx Hunt (Edge - Houston Christian), and Khristian Boyd (DL - Northern IA). Hunt might be too light in the pants for Poles to consider though.

On offense my small school guys are John David White (WR - Central Arkansas), Mason McCormick (OL - SD State), Isaiah Davis (RB - SD State), and Easton Dean (TE - IA State). Although McCormick isn't as under the radar now as he was 8 weeks ago.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Isiah Davis had a really good career at SD State. I have never seen a 40 time on him. He is not the fastest guy but sneaky quick. I have seen about 5 games of his over the past 4 yrs. He had over 1700 yds from scrimmage last year. Seems to have decent hands. 23 receptions for 199. It was a pretty balanced Offense. FCS National Champs. SD State have put out some good TEs recently - Goedert, Tucker Kraft (Green Bay)
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:06 pm Isiah Davis had a really good career at SD State. I have never seen a 40 time on him. He is not the fastest guy but sneaky quick. I have seen about 5 games of his over the past 4 yrs. He had over 1700 yds from scrimmage last year. Seems to have decent hands. 23 receptions for 199. It was a pretty balanced Offense. FCS National Champs. SD State have put out some good TEs recently - Goedert, Tucker Kraft (Green Bay)
Zach Heins is next in that line. He's not as fast as Kraft, nor as fluid as Goedert, but he's bigger than both and can play.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:48 pm My small school guys on defense are Cole Bishop (S - Utah), Jalyx Hunt (Edge - Houston Christian), and Khristian Boyd (DL - Northern IA). Hunt might be too light in the pants for Poles to consider though.

On offense my small school guys are John David White (WR - Central Arkansas), Mason McCormick (OL - SD State), Isaiah Davis (RB - SD State), and Easton Dean (TE - IA State). Although McCormick isn't as under the radar now as he was 8 weeks ago.
I do like McCormick, but yeah, it's hard to call him "under the radar". I guess you could say the same about Laube and Davis, who were at the Senior Bowl like McCormick and Coker were at the Shrine Game, LOL.

Boyd is interesting, played more of a two-gap NT at Northern Iowa (and has the body type to match) but doesn't have that kind of mass to survive there in the NFL. In a way he's kind of like Gervon Dexter Sr was last year, though certainly not the same level of physical specimen.

If I'm gonna pick a small-school guy who didn't get a Combine invite or show up at the Shrine Game or the Senior Bowl, it'd be Levi Drake Rodriguez (Texas A&M Commerce, played in the Tropical Bowl).
Non small-school guys in that category would be Duke WR/PR Jalon Calhoun and Cal S Patrick McMorris.
KFFL refugee.

UOK
Site Admin

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears meet with Williams tomorrow.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 pm For whatever my opinion is worth (not a whole lot, even to me), this is my pre-Combine draft board.
(Please forgive the self-quote.)

Austin Booker is a 3-4 LB, not a 4-3 DE; unfortunately, he's got to come off my list.
Bralen Trice is also iffy. I'm wondering if he lost weight for the Combine, cos it sure doesn't look like the weight he played at last season.

Still vacillating on adding Cedric Johnson and especially Marshawn Kneeland. Not sure at "only" 6'3" they hit the thresholds Poles and Flus have in place, but both might be long enough, and Kneeland was certainly impressive at the Senior Bowl.
KFFL refugee.

Heinz D.
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:24 pm The Bears meet with Williams tomorrow.
Has @The Marshall Plan been put on suicide watch? ;)
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:25 pm
Grizzled wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:24 pm The Bears meet with Williams tomorrow.
Has @The Marshall Plan been put on suicide watch? ;)
This is the secret ancient wisdom that I use to cope with the JF1 Caleb War. This is serious.

1) I know the truth. JF1 is a Good Enough QB who is not a liability on the field. He's not the reason why this team has problems and this has been discussed a lot here so no need to get into the minutiae of it.

2) I believe in Ryan Poles. Ryan Poles is the best thing that has happened to the Chicago Bears since forever. Maybe drafting Urlacher? IDK. I have total confidence in Ryan Poles to do the right thing. That right thing could easily be different than what I want. But I have 100% confidence in Ryan Poles.

3) The Chicago Bears are positioned, whatever it is we do at 1, to be a playoff team next year. Ryan Poles has built us an ascending roster in an amazing position with the cap and the draft.

4) I find a lot of joy in my job, my workouts, and my other interests in life. This topic does not consume me.

5) Whatever happens I will always love Justin Fields and root for him. This will break my heart, but unless of course he plays us. Then I hope we kick the shit out of him.

Bottom Line

Whoever the QB is next year, even if it's Caleb Williams, I will shut up and support my quarterback and do my best to comment about how I see his performance without bias. Even if it's Caleb Williams, I will be one of the first to buy a jersey of his in at least one color scheme.

This is just one of those topics I feel passionately about, but when the decision is made it's made and my focus will be on the future of my favorite team.
karhu
Head Coach

Kneeland just hit the top tier of my third-round wish list. But I don't think he'll be there.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:45 pm Still vacillating on adding Cedric Johnson and especially Marshawn Kneeland. Not sure at "only" 6'3" they hit the thresholds Poles and Flus have in place, but both might be long enough, and Kneeland was certainly impressive at the Senior Bowl.
Kneeland's wingspan meets the diagnostic criterion for Marfan Syndrome. He's plenty long enough, unless we're trying to recreate the Potsdam Giants (and remember what their war record was....)
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 pm Kneeland just hit the top tier of my third-round wish list. But I don't think he'll be there.
I dunno. Since 2016, the two non-Power 5 conference edge defenders who've gone before Round 3 (Marcus Davenport in 2018 and Payton Turner in 2021) haven't lit the league on fire, and both were bigger than Kneeland — and neither were from a conference as weak as the MAC.
karhu wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:20 pm Kneeland's wingspan meets the diagnostic criterion for Marfan Syndrome. He's plenty long enough, unless we're trying to recreate the Potsdam Giants (and remember what their war record was....)
Hmm, now this is a fair point.
KFFL refugee.