2024 Combine Talk

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:45 pm
karhu wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 pm Kneeland just hit the top tier of my third-round wish list. But I don't think he'll be there.
I dunno. Since 2016, the two non-Power 5 conference edge defenders who've gone before Round 3 (Marcus Davenport in 2018 and Payton Turner in 2021) haven't lit the league on fire, and both were bigger than Kneeland — and neither were from a conference as weak as the MAC.
Good point. At the same time, the degree of competition might've worked against Kneeland in an interesting way. He was moved inside a lot at Western Michigan, since at 270 or whatever he was a viable DT at that level. And since he plays with loads of power, which translated awfully well at the Senior Bowl.

He's only 2-3 inches shorter than Turner or Davenport, and weighs about the same. With longer arms. And--this is what caught my eye--he's much, much quicker than them. And most edge defenders who've ever run an agility drill at the combine. And Jordan Addison, for that matter. Testing-wise, he's Will McDonald with the 30 pounds of extra muscle everyone wished Will McDonald had.

Kinda blue-skying it for now, but Kneeland was the first guy who jumped out at me George Kittle style this year.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
wab
Mod

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:45 pm
karhu wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 pm Kneeland just hit the top tier of my third-round wish list. But I don't think he'll be there.
I dunno. Since 2016, the two non-Power 5 conference edge defenders who've gone before Round 3 (Marcus Davenport in 2018 and Payton Turner in 2021) haven't lit the league on fire, and both were bigger than Kneeland — and neither were from a conference as weak as the MAC.
And both were drafted by the Saints. So I guess we know where Kneeland is going...
wab
Mod

Dallas Turner coming in shorter and heavier than most people expected at 6'2 257. I think most people expected him to be 6'4 240ish.

Laiatu Latu coming in at 6'5 259 and running an unofficial 4.6 forty is wild. If it weren't for his medicals, dude would be a top 5 pick easy. I'm feeling pretty tempted to take him at 9 if he's there.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:24 pm Dallas Turner coming in shorter and heavier than most people expected at 6'2 257. I think most people expected him to be 6'4 240ish.

Laiatu Latu coming in at 6'5 259 and running an unofficial 4.6 forty is wild. If it weren't for his medicals, dude would be a top 5 pick easy. I'm feeling pretty tempted to take him at 9 if he's there.
I would be tempted if I don't have a deep belief that we're using Fields and next years #1 to trade up from 9 to get Nabers or MHjr
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Watching the safeties run their drills and the 40. There are some BIG safeties in this year's draft. Like LB size. 6'2" 218lbs, running 4.4-4.5. I'm still on the Nubin bus, but Bullock looked really good. So did Hicks.
karhu
Head Coach

Well, Tip Reiman's not a secret anymore. A shame, because he'd have been an excellent complement to Kmet. Just a bonus that he thinks power lines might be pigeon-recharging stations.
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

I did not expect Kam Kinchens to run particularly well, but running at LB speed is...not good.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
cblaz11
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:22 pm
wab wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:24 pm Dallas Turner coming in shorter and heavier than most people expected at 6'2 257. I think most people expected him to be 6'4 240ish.

I would be tempted if I don't have a deep belief that we're using Fields and next years #1 to trade up from 9 to get Nabers or MHjr
I’ve been watching full games of these edge rushers….Dallas is explosive…but his instincts aren’t what I expected. He consistently over runs the play.

Chop looks like he’s shot out of a cannon, but why only 5 sacks. He wins with speed but I don’t see him winning with power as much as I would like.

Verse is the total package IMO, but he’s a year and half older than others and at that age, it matters. Still, I think he’s a day 1 starter and difference maker…he can win with speed and power and is very good vs the run.

Latu has the best hands in the draft, but plays a little high …plus, the injury scares me a little.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

karhu wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 am Well, Tip Reiman's not a secret anymore. A shame, because he'd have been an excellent complement to Kmet. Just a bonus that he thinks power lines might be pigeon-recharging stations.
Reiman's issue is production (or lack thereof). In general I am not a fan (though I will certainly point out that I've been wrong before, many times). His 2022 and 2023 seasons were virtually identical, so an optimist might chalk that up to scheme.

He's a gamble, but one that might be worthwhile based on that athletic profile. He doesn't appear to play anywhere close to that speed on game day.
KFFL refugee.

karhu
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:05 am
karhu wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 am Well, Tip Reiman's not a secret anymore. A shame, because he'd have been an excellent complement to Kmet. Just a bonus that he thinks power lines might be pigeon-recharging stations.
Reiman's issue is production (or lack thereof). In general I am not a fan (though I will certainly point out that I've been wrong before, many times). His 2022 and 2023 seasons were virtually identical, so an optimist might chalk that up to scheme.

He's a gamble, but one that might be worthwhile based on that athletic profile. He doesn't appear to play anywhere close to that speed on game day.
I hear you. To be clear--and I should've added this earlier--I was thinking about Reiman in the last two rounds depending on how our final slate of picks shakes out. I think he's probably a fifth-rounder for someone now, and that's probably too high for us.

It's mostly a traits thing. His hands have been a bit spotty, but at least he's got big ones. He's got enough quickness to get on top of defenders and get open short, and enough speed to get to the quiet ice at the right time. And most importantly, he can block, which means that he can be a three-down player. Blocking is my most important criterion for TEs, since it translates into the simple ability to justify staying in the game and gaining experience. Quickness is second, and Reiman has more than enough.

karhu
Head Coach

Just looking for mid-/late-round guys who might fit in well with us.

Kendall Milton might be a big-school sleeper in the Roschon mold. He's had some MCL problems, but those were a few years ago; his more recent injuries were a strained groin and hamstring, and I always wonder if better hydration and stretching isn't enough for those sorts of deals.

Anyway, big guy, tackle-breaker with excellent balance. 4.62 40, which I don't care about one little bit because of his 1.51 split. Solid vertical and excellent broad jump, too. Agility drills will tell a lot, if he bothers to run them.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

That TE that caught two balls was HILARIOUS. Rich Eisen was having a field day with it (no pun intended).

Watching these RB's go through their stuff. With no pads on, you really get perspective on how built these kids are. Good Lord. I understand why CB's get steamrolled by these guys.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

This is why I detest the Combine: J.J. McCarthy has been measured as taller than all the times the Michigan team docs measured him. So, they're complete incompetents? Now McCarthy fans are feening even more as he's bigger than they thought.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Brian Thomas Jr. just ran a 4.34 40yd. He's 6'4" man. That's incredible for that size.

Xavier Worthy just ran a 4.25. :scared:

EDIT: He ran again and got the record. 4.22!! WOW! :surrender:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm Xavier Worthy just ran a 4.25. :scared:

Officially 4.21 so he actually broke John Ross's record rather than matched it. 1.49-second 10-yard split.

He also logged 41 inches on the vertical leap and 10-foot-11 on the broad jump.

At 5-foot-11 1/4 and 165 pounds he's a small guy.

Lance Zierlein's comparison for him on nfl.com is... Darnell Mooney.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Apparently Penei Sewell's cousin Kingsley Suamataia is ambidextrous.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:37 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm Xavier Worthy just ran a 4.25. :scared:

Officially 4.21 so he actually broke John Ross's record rather than matched it. 1.49-second 10-yard split.

He also logged 41 inches on the vertical leap and 10-foot-11 on the broad jump.

At 5-foot-11 1/4 and 165 pounds he's a small guy.

Lance Zierlein's comparison for him on nfl.com is... Darnell Mooney.
Wow, that's...

Worthy does not run routes like Mooney did coming out of Tulane.
KFFL refugee.

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:03 pm Brian Thomas Jr. just ran a 4.34 40yd. He's 6'4" man. That's incredible for that size.
I've gone back and forth (and back and forth, and back again) on Thomas. He's got great size and athleticism, and obviously his speed is terrific as well. On the flip side, he doesn't win contested catches like at all, or display much toughness; and I keep coming back to not doing much of anything before his age 21 season, which is often a red flag. (To be fair, Xavier Legette blew up in his age 22, season, although that season was a whopping 37.6% of his team's passing yards, as compared to 26.7% of LSU's passing yards for Thomas. Some of that can be explained by Thomas having Nabers as a teammate and Legette not having much of anyone as a teammate — historically this hasn't mattered as much as one might think, but it still has relevance.)

I'm pretty sure I'll add Thomas for my post-Combine list, though. He's not my favorite WR this year, but he's worth a roll of the dice on those physical gifts somewhere in late Round 1 or early Round 2. I've seen him compared to Christian Watson, but frankly he's more Quentin Johnson/Alec Pierce/Denzel Mims-sized. He sort of reminds me of Martavis Bryant — hopefully without the substance abuse problems — and if he produces like Bryant after (probably) being drafted in the first round, that'd be a disappointment.
KFFL refugee.

cblaz11
MVP

I really like Brian Thomas…

For me though, there are two WRs I’m ok taking in the top 10. Nabors and MHJ…I don’t get the love with Rome, I just don’t see it.

9 is a prime spot to grab an elite pass rusher…I can’t pass up on that for a guy like Rome
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

There are so many good receivers this year. It's the deepest class that I can remember.
LacertineForest
MVP

I don't watch a lot of college football or know much about the translation of prospects into pros, but with such a seemingly deep receiver class, do you guys think it makes sense to target another position at #9? Or do you think there's enough separation between the top 3 guys (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze) that it still makes sense to use the pick if one of them is there (yeah, it definitely won't be MHJ)? Seems like the Packers always manage to find quality guys in round 2 and later - I'm wondering if that won't be the strategy for us, too.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

karhu
Head Coach

LacertineForest wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:35 pm I don't watch a lot of college football or know much about the translation of prospects into pros, but with such a seemingly deep receiver class, do you guys think it makes sense to target another position at #9? Or do you think there's enough separation between the top 3 guys (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze) that it still makes sense to use the pick if one of them is there (yeah, it definitely won't be MHJ)? Seems like the Packers always manage to find quality guys in round 2 and later - I'm wondering if that won't be the strategy for us, too.
The Packers have done a good job finding viable guys after the first, but they also draft in bunches. Since 2017, they've only drafted a single WR once (and that was Amari Rogers). Every other year they've taken a WR, they've taken at least one more. Part of their philosophy: draft linemen with traits in the first, have a bunch of picks in each draft if possible, throw numbers at certain positions. That's a good approach for a team looking to sustain its competitive edge, but that ain't us.

Odunze strikes me as the perfect WR2/future WR1 for a rookie QB--especially one who's used to letting his receivers make plays on 50/50 balls. We paid a second-rounder and a chunk of change for a DE who demonstrably makes the rest of the line better, and we should trust him to keep having that resonant effect for whatever combination of FAs and mid-round pass-rushers we add. Alt is terrific and a few other tackles aren't close behind, but the marginal value doesn't seem to be there. All we have to do is re-sign JJ to shore up CB. I don't see any other position that'd give us what WR would. And yeah, I think there's a big dropoff for our purposes after the big three.

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:35 pm I don't watch a lot of college football or know much about the translation of prospects into pros, but with such a seemingly deep receiver class, do you guys think it makes sense to target another position at #9? Or do you think there's enough separation between the top 3 guys (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze) that it still makes sense to use the pick if one of them is there (yeah, it definitely won't be MHJ)? Seems like the Packers always manage to find quality guys in round 2 and later - I'm wondering if that won't be the strategy for us, too.
A non-WR might be a forced choice anyway.

Keeping things simple we hang onto the 1 and draft Williams.

Then in some kind of order....

2) Maye
3) Daniels
4) MHJ
5) Nabers
6) Odunze
7) Alt
8) Fashanu
9) Maybe McCarthy or another QB

Then throw in a stupid pick. Somebody will pick someone that really makes you say WTF!?

For the non-WRs I totally respect the argument of taking Alt or Fashanu if they're there. Same thing with Bowers. I know we have Kmet, but we need the weapons on offense.

The DEs are not that great this time around. We're much better off addressing DL in FA.

I do think the 9 should be used on somebody to help JF1 or Williams. Get them another weapon or a franchise LT then move Jones inside.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

The possibility that one of the top 3 WRs slides to #9 (most likely to be Odunze) is really slim, but if 3 QBs go in the top 8, it's still mathematically possible.

If the Bears stay at #9, it's because the above happened, or because Alt or Fashanu slipped to #9 and the prospect is too good to let go any further. Otherwise, I fully expect a trade back from there. I doubt Bowers is in consideration after signing Kmet long-term.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

I think the Bears probably trade back from 9 so they can recoup their 2nd rounder, so I've been looking at guys who will be available in the late teens/early twenties.

However, if Odunze is there at 9, I have zero issues with them taking him. Same goes for Latu.

Down in the teens-twenties I'm looking at Adonai Mitchell, Bryan Thomas, Keon Coleman...Jermaine Burton feels like one of those receivers that could sneak into round 1 depending on how many go early. I like Pearsall but probably more in R2.

Edge might get slim outside of the top 15. Chris Braswell, Bralen Trice, Austin Booker, Darius Robinson, Adisa Isaac all sort of fall into that tier 2 group. Trice/Braswell/Robinson could possibly end up in R1.