Sounds like Kevin Warren favors a trade back...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

FWIW Poles specifically mentioned that it's ideal to have as many draft picks as possible, because that's how you truly build a team. The more quantity you have, the more likely you are to find quality.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:05 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 am

Not really, just making the point that quantity doesn't necessarily equal quality.

When there's a perceived strong draft class people talk as if GMs can just pick a QB at any point in the first round and he'll be good but of course we know that's not the case.
I'd take it a step further. The worst thing that can happen is a high volume class of QB prospects that mostly don't pan out, because you may draft into that strength and set your franchise back 3-4 years.
Drafting and failing is a painful setback that happens frequently.

But you can't run away from what's seen as a good crop because you're too scared of failure. If that's your attitude, then you certainly can't draft in a year with an average or a weak crop of QBs, either. You can't draft a QB (early) ever. Good luck with that philosophy.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:17 pm

I'd take it a step further. The worst thing that can happen is a high volume class of QB prospects that mostly don't pan out, because you may draft into that strength and set your franchise back 3-4 years.

But you can't run away from what's seen as a good crop because you're too scared of failure. If that's your attitude, then you certainly can't draft in a year with an average or a weak crop of QBs, either. You can't draft a QB (early) ever. Good luck with that philosophy.
Yep, you have to have confidence in the process your team has. If it says the player is worth the pick, you take him. If it says the player isn't worth the pick, you pass.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:17 pm

Your presenting a false choice here. We've been on this hampster wheel for 40 years, it's time to get off it and try something different. How many Grossmans and McCowns and Trubisky's and Fields do we need to see before we understand that 1) QB's are incredibly difficult to forecast and 2) Even if they are actually good they will fail unless the circumstances around them align well. You can't get one of these things right, you have to get both right.

The choice isn't about never taking a QB, it's about doing it when the conditions are right for them to succeed and not rushing either the team building process, or rushing your new QB into action before they are ready. We have failed at this since the 80's, and I'm just continuously amazed that fans don't understand that and adjust their thinking. But....maaaaaaaybe this time, right?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Yup, it's incredible, it's beyond incredible actually, how little fans understand about football. The QB of our future is already on the roster, and Poles is smart enough to understand that you have to give the QB ATLEAST four years, you have to build around him, and you definitely have to be smart enough to realize that where/when they were drafted is 100% irrelevant.

In Poles we trust.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:08 am Yup, it's incredible, it's beyond incredible actually, how little fans understand about football. The QB of our future is already on the roster, and Poles is smart enough to understand that you have to give the QB ATLEAST four years, you have to build around him, and you definitely have to be smart enough to realize that where/when they were drafted is 100% irrelevant.

In Poles we trust.
If we draft CW and trade Fields, I will want Bagent to start next year. I believe in the things that I'm saying.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Thanks for posting that video Rusty. Interesting to say the least. Those guys were in beast mode.
Bearfacts
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:06 am
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:43 pm [ With some great treasures there also comes a curse.
Are you saying CW is the Monkey Paw?
No, but his father/agent/promoter may be. Even the Trib had a column dealing with this part of the CW equation today.

As I've said all along I have no doubts about CW skills as a QB. He's earned the right to be seen as the top QB in this draft. But his skill set isn't the whole story with him and it's not me whose been saying it. Most QB's who are graced with the #1 overall ranking have much of same hype following them around prior to the draft. The stats also indicate that roughly 50% fail to become the QB they were drafted to be and that's another risk any team takes when they draft a QB as highly as CW is slotted to go.

My questions about him have to do with some of intangible off the field issues that concern not only me but others as well and once you've read and listened to enough opinions you find yourself with some doubts. Despite that I'll trust Poles and his staff to make the correct decision as far as what's right for the Bears. No doubt they'll have covered as much of it as they can during interviews with CW and no doubt they'll also consider all trade possibilities regarding both JF and that 1st overall pick.

I'll be content with whatever decision they make but it's not likely to change my own opinion about what I would do.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:09 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:06 am

Are you saying CW is the Monkey Paw?
No, but his father/agent/promoter may be. Even the Trib had a column dealing with this part of the CW equation today.

As I've said all along I have no doubts about CW skills as a QB. He's earned the right to be seen as the top QB in this draft. But his skill set isn't the whole story with him and it's not me whose been saying it. Most QB's who are graced with the #1 overall ranking have much of same hype following them around prior to the draft. The stats also indicate that roughly 50% fail to become the QB they were drafted to be and that's another risk any team takes when they draft a QB as highly as CW is slotted to go.

My questions about him have to do with some of intangible off the field issues that concern not only me but others as well and once you've read and listened to enough opinions you find yourself with some doubts. Despite that I'll trust Poles and his staff to make the correct decision as far as what's right for the Bears. No doubt they'll have covered as much of it as they can during interviews with CW and no doubt they'll also consider all trade possibilities regarding both JF and that 1st overall pick.

I'll be content with whatever decision they make but it's not likely to change my own opinion about what I would do.
In general, I would agree with your take, except where you say: "Most QB's who are graced with the #1 overall ranking have much of same hype following them around prior to the draft."
I think the level of excitement/hype around Williams is higher/greater than any QB I can really remember. Maybe Luck or Lawrence would've been similar, but honestly I think you'd have to go back to Manning to find a time when a QB was hyped this much.
I think this is a special situation.
spudbear
MVP

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:03 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:08 am Yup, it's incredible, it's beyond incredible actually, how little fans understand about football. The QB of our future is already on the roster, and Poles is smart enough to understand that you have to give the QB ATLEAST four years, you have to build around him, and you definitely have to be smart enough to realize that where/when they were drafted is 100% irrelevant.

In Poles we trust.
If we draft CW and trade Fields, I will want Bagent to start next year. I believe in the things that I'm saying.
+1
If CW is drafted and Fields is gone, then it will make TC and preseason games interesting. Do the two split reps with the first team? Who gets more PT during the preseason games? Both could use the work in the preseason games, though the coaches should have a good idea by now in what they're getting with Bagent.

I hope Bagent puts to rest this BS about arm strength. He does not have a cannon or may not throw as hard as Fields, but he can put the ball where it needs to be. He needs more work in attacking NFL defenses at game speed. It all comes down to experience.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Bagent needs a ton of film study and needs to throw against a teams #1 defense all off season to learn the angles and understand what throws he's being suckered into throwing.

But he's capable of running an offense.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bearfacts
MVP

Burl wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:14 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:09 pm

In general, I would agree with your take, except where you say: "Most QB's who are graced with the #1 overall ranking have much of same hype following them around prior to the draft."
I think the level of excitement/hype around Williams is higher/greater than any QB I can really remember. Maybe Luck or Lawrence would've been similar, but honestly I think you'd have to go back to Manning to find a time when a QB was hyped this much.
I think this is a special situation.
It could well be but some very well respected analysts have pointed out the CW is not without his flaw both on the field and off. These are things that concern me and I would hope that concern Poles and his staff enough to either dis spell them completely or if they insist on drafting him have a plan for how to deal with them. He is a unique talent but is he as elite in all ways a his attitude and that of his father believe? We're talking about someone here who feels the rookie salary scale should not apply to him and him alone. I would call that a red flag even if no one else does. On that basis alone I'd say let Wash and their deep pockets owner have him.

My questions have less to do with whether or not he's a unique talent than whether or not he's the right guy for this team only not some other team and it's heightened by the fact that we already have viable starter in JF and with the thoughts of what a trade or two in round one could bring in the way of talent both this year and next. Let's be honest. If this pick we received from Carolina was say #5 overall would we even be having these conversations? Would we give up the picks needed to draft CW first overall? Because if we do than we also need to consider the picks we're losing by not trading out of that 1st overall spot maybe even twice.

Que sera sera but if we do draft CW, and I see it as likely, I'll probably be thinking about all of this for awhile longer waiting for him to prove he is all he actually believes he is. And even then will he actually be content to play out the first four years of his rookie deal under his contract? People with the kind of narcissism to believe they and they alone should be granted special treatment don't ordinarily change that way of thinking if they believe they're entitled to it. I think we've seen this in other places too. So what it comes down to is whether or not CW as a franchise QB turns out to be a blessing we all deserve or a curse we don't. I dunno.