Bears trade 4th rd pick to Chargers for WR Keenan Allen

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

Hoog wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:10 pm Whats our cap damage from this trade? Not that it matters to me but having trouble getting the correct answer.

Bears have 57 million

-23 million for Allen
-14 million for cap holds

= 20 million available
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Went to town for supplies today and it was the finest day of the year so far. No shit. :D :drool: :thumbsup:
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

I have mixed feelings here. On one hand, I'm not a huge fan of adding a 32 year old receiver with some injury history, paying him $23M (or whatever the amount ends up being) and then extending him until he's 35.

But, I love the idea of setting up a rookie QB with an elite receiving corps, bringing in more veteran leadership to the offense and giving Poles flexibility to do what he may with the #9 pick.

I guess I'll just have to withhold judgement until we see how it all shakes out. I'm looking forward to the introductory press conference from Allen though.
G08
Hall of Famer

Chifaninca wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:12 pm
Hoog wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:00 pm This is a great move especially if they can extend him a year or two. He's not his young self but dude catches EVERYTHING, which will help a young QB. Love the move, fuck a 4th round pick, get the QB the best weapons. 1200 yards and he only played in 13 games. Give me 15 and lets go! This also improves DJ. Love it. Have been waiting for something like this all off season.
This.... As mentioned with Everett signing, watched a lot of Charger games and if he stays healthy... this is very good get. At a minimum, he is another strong receiver option for our QB... With Moore and Allen, we have two very good receivers on the field, adding in Kmet and Everett and Swift... lots of options for the passing game.... and I agree we aren't out on adding another receiver or two...

4th is steep...but he is as proven as you get.... The 23 Million is a big payday - but you had to add a vet wr ... and we did....

Honestly, need a stud QB and More on DL...we are going to be really good...

Put me down as liking this alot. My chargers friends have texting pissed he's gone as he has been the guy for so long...not having him is tough... They also talk about their top WR pick last year doing nothing... so anyone worrying about the pick - I think wait and see.....
I think your friend will feel better once they draft Nabers/Odunze at #5 overall haha
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I think the bears believe this class is poor and that they are just opening the window.

Maybe not a super bowl window but a window to not be on the hot seat any time soon.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:14 pm
Hoog wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:10 pm Whats our cap damage from this trade? Not that it matters to me but having trouble getting the correct answer.

Bears have 57 million

-23 million for Allen
-14 million for cap holds

= 20 million available
Do you have a source for this? If Allan is going to be a full $23M cap hit this year (which I doubt he will be) and assuming we need $15M for draft class signings, I have the Bears with about $2M remaining but that's my own calculation and I'm sure there must be something more accurate out there.
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:47 pm I don't get it. He's listed under the dead cap section of the Chargers Spotrac cap breakdown. He counts as $11M against their cap. But now they traded him. Do we have to pick up the $11M?? Because if so, that's a terrible trade.
I don't get it either. I just looked on spotrac and his contract was described as 4 years for $80m but that it started in 2020 making this coming season year 5.

I also couldn't see why there was a significant jump in his cap hit for the Bears compared to his 4 years listed as a Charger. It should be the other way round because the pro-rated signing bonus the Chargers paid him should go against their cap not the Bears.

I couldn't even find him on Over The Cap so I assume they're in the process of updating his details.

I rather suspect the details will be "clarified" and his cap hit won't be as high as $23m. I certainly hope so because trading a pick and paying $23m for a one year rental on a soon to be 32 year old player really doesn't seem like good business.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

We are still in no way cap constrained. There is still an ocean of cap space for 2025 and contracts are reworked all the time.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Doesn’t Keenan Allen wear 13? Uh oh.
Chifaninca
Journeyman

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:20 pm
Chifaninca wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:12 pm

This.... As mentioned with Everett signing, watched a lot of Charger games and if he stays healthy... this is very good get. At a minimum, he is another strong receiver option for our QB... With Moore and Allen, we have two very good receivers on the field, adding in Kmet and Everett and Swift... lots of options for the passing game.... and I agree we aren't out on adding another receiver or two...

4th is steep...but he is as proven as you get.... The 23 Million is a big payday - but you had to add a vet wr ... and we did....

Honestly, need a stud QB and More on DL...we are going to be really good...

Put me down as liking this alot. My chargers friends have texting pissed he's gone as he has been the guy for so long...not having him is tough... They also talk about their top WR pick last year doing nothing... so anyone worrying about the pick - I think wait and see.....
I think your friend will feel better once they draft Nabers/Odunze at #5 overall haha
They wanted Allen to mentor the WR they draft... No Williams, No Allen... Their WR is very thin... They took high WR Johnston and he didn't have a great year.

This is a strong play for the Bears...and that's all I care about.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Has G08 claimed to have watched all of Keenan Allen’s games in the past three hours yet?
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:37 pm Has G08 claimed to have watched all of Keenan Allen’s games in the past three hours yet?
Not interested
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:37 pm Has G08 claimed to have watched all of Keenan Allen’s games in the past three hours yet?
Well now this is just fucking funny :rofl:

And it's under three hours!
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:35 pm Doesn’t Keenan Allen wear 13? Uh oh.
Tyler Scott is going to auction 13 off and make some money.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

Are ya'll kidding with this pessimism? Sure he's 32. Has he yet shown signs of slowing down? No. He doesn't have to be the #1 now. We have the best WR combo in our division now. This is going to be hard to defend with Swift and our 2 TEs. An extension is coming. It frees us to fix the Edge with Turner or Verse. Can still take a WR in the 3rd, like possibly Brenden Rice.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:47 pm I don't get it. He's listed under the dead cap section of the Chargers Spotrac cap breakdown. He counts as $11M against their cap. But now they traded him. Do we have to pick up the $11M?? Because if so, that's a terrible trade.
According to Spotrac, the Bears do not owe him 11M for 2024

They owe him 23M
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
LacertineForest
MVP

Well, Poles wasn't kidding about building through the draft...by trading his draft picks for other teams' players.

Really looking forward to seeing the offense on the field!
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

This is a win now move, and with this move, I think that Justin is staying. Not saying he's not going to pick Caleb. He very well might. But Justin should be on our roster next year. He gives us the best chance to win now. I would say that this move is "doing right by Justin Fields."

If you take Williams, you tell him to sit on the bench. If he bitches about it, you tell him that that's what he gets for not doing his medicals at the Combine nor meeting with them shortly afterwards. He limited out ability to move Justin this year, so Caleb's just going to have to live with the consequences of those actions.
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richie
MVP

To quote Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation - "Am I surprised? Shit. If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn into the carpet, I would be less surprised than I am right now."

That was about the last thing I expected.

I love Keenan. My concern is his age (32 this year) and his history of hamstring issues ALWAYS bothering him. He always misses some time.

But I suppose that's why we only gave up a 4th for him.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

This seems steep for a WR turning 32 next month, no matter how productive.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

All Ryan Poalcees has to do is trade the 78 + 122 to move up from 9 and his journey to the Dark Side will be complete.

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Enjoyed this unbiased perspective on the trade delivered by a non-Bears fan.

Am feeling better about my Bears. Am I crazy to be looking forwarding to a run at the playoffs thisseason?

Teddy KGB
Pro Bowler

Pfft, sure guys - its the '9th' overall pick that we're trading down from.

Bearfacts
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:25 pm
I don't get it either. I just looked on spotrac and his contract was described as 4 years for $80m but that it started in 2020 making this coming season year 5.

I also couldn't see why there was a significant jump in his cap hit for the Bears compared to his 4 years listed as a Charger. It should be the other way round because the pro-rated signing bonus the Chargers paid him should go against their cap not the Bears.

I couldn't even find him on Over The Cap so I assume they're in the process of updating his details.

I rather suspect the details will be "clarified" and his cap hit won't be as high as $23m. I certainly hope so because trading a pick and paying $23m for a one year rental on a soon to be 32 year old player really doesn't seem like good business.
This is what I'm questioning as well. It's not like Poles to send a pick for a 32 year old player period and then pick up the tab for a $23 mil paycheck to boot. This has me scratching my head. I love the move as far as the player goes and who gives a rip about a 4th round pick for a player like Allen when anyone even close to him would be gone in round one. I just don't see the money end of it is all.

May be more to it than we can see on Spotrac or OTC but if Allen won't take a pay cut I have to think at least his $18 mil salary is on the Bears. The $5 mil roster bonus is due 3/17. Did SD agree to pick it up as part of the deal or are we on the hook for it? Does Poles plan to offer him an extension and convert some of his salary into a bonus? Lot of questions on the money front.

Any rookie we draft won't be as effective as Allen will be now. No matter whose playing QB this year the addition of Allen and Everett are gonna make a huge difference. If Poles plan is to use Allen while a rookie adapts for a year or two it's a great move that leaves other failed signings in the dust. And now we're down to 4 picks so what does that indicate?
Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:35 pm Doesn’t Keenan Allen wear 13? Uh oh.
Well there ya go right there. No way we're drafting CW. None at all. :rofl: :rofl:
Bearfacts
MVP

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:50 pm
Well now this is just fucking funny :rofl:

And it's under three hours!

No Netflix in Chicago tonight. They'll all be tuned into this. :rofl:
Bearfacts
MVP

This is a win now move, and with this move, I think that Justin is staying. Not saying he's not going to pick Caleb. He very well might. But Justin should be on our roster next year. He gives us the best chance to win now. I would say that this move is "doing right by Justin Fields."

IMHO that always had more than the single meaning most thought it did.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

Oops. Double post.
Last edited by The Kaiser on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.