Bears trade 4th rd pick to Chargers for WR Keenan Allen

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

You could also say it's doing right by a rookie QB and setting him up for success-- something many complained we never did for Justin.
karhu
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:40 pm He had 1200 receiving yards last year which is great, but
I just read this.

And re-read it.

Is there any reasonable way to complete that sentence?
So much road and so few places, so much friendliness and so little intimacy, so much flavour and so little taste.

Friendship is better than fighting, but fighting is more useful.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:47 am
G08 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:50 pm

Well now this is just fucking funny :rofl:

And it's under three hours!

No Netflix in Chicago tonight. They'll all be tuned into this. :rofl:
Get ready for ad hominem posts from G08 claiming to be the expert on all things Keenan Allen with commentary surrounding everything from feet to balls based upon videos from X and YouTube.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:15 pm All Ryan Poalcees has to do is trade the 78 + 122 to move up from 9 and his journey to the Dark Side will be complete.

Then draft JJ McCarthy.
malagabears
Journeyman

The CAP hit being reported is kinda fishy. Normally the trading team eats any bonus money structured into the current deal which means the Bears should only be on the hook for 18M. I'd look at extending him after the season for something like 2/22M with 14M guaranteed and a 12M signing bonus if he keeps his current stats.

I think he will age well as a saavy vet who knows the route tree very well and will be the WR2. I could see Poles trading 1.9 into the late teens (15-18) & get back a 2nd in the high 30 or lower 40's. The elephant in the room now is JF and what kind of return you get for him after the due diligence on all QB targets is done. I think we might sign a cheaper edge guy and call it an off season until the draft.
Last edited by malagabears on Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

this really fucks my barrel
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Kaiser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:24 pm
Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:14 pm

Bears have 57 million

-23 million for Allen
-14 million for cap holds

= 20 million available
Do you have a source for this? If Allan is going to be a full $23M cap hit this year (which I doubt he will be) and assuming we need $15M for draft class signings, I have the Bears with about $2M remaining but that's my own calculation and I'm sure there must be something more accurate out there.
Spotrac's real-time cap calculator has the Bears at $35M.

I wanted this guy out of college. He.'s been pretty injury free the past few years. He'd be the Bears all-time receiver leader in yards. Great move. Still could use that tall fast guy. Allen was better than any of the available FA WRs. Poles continues to surprise me with the way he operates. I doubt the Bears would take a WR at #9 if they didn't trade the pick away.
Last edited by Grizzled on Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
artbest01
Crafty Veteran

Understanding I’m generally wrong about these things…

Imo, this move screams “building an infrastructure to support a rookie QB with very high upside as a passer” a lot more than “we’re keeping Justin Fields!!”

Justin has many gifts. One of them is not being a prolific passer. He’s one of the leagues least productive passers (among veteran starting QBs). Bringing in a veteran pro bowl receiver who catches over 100 passers to pair with DJ Moore feels like overkill with Justin behind center. A speed guy to take the top off of defenses? Sure. Creating a wr duo more fitting for a high volume passing attack? Doesn’t seem to align with an offense built around a QB who is far more dangerous with his legs than he is throwing the football.

Imo, again understanding I’m generally wrong about these things, the bears seem to be getting ready to support a prized rookie - two #1 caliber receivers, a quality tight end, a veteran “move” tight end and an all purpose back who is a solid receiver. Add to that arguably the most coveted OC in this hiring cycle and you have the kind of team that can optimally support…Caleb Williams
UOK
Site Admin

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:52 am this really fucks my barrel
Condolences. Maybe add a -ski to Allen?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:47 am
I mean, people convert to Judaism all the time. Keenan, are you willing to accept Lech Wałęsa as your lord and personal savior?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:47 am
Or remove the vowels and replace them with “c” or “z”?
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

@HurricaneBear

What are your thoughts on this as it relates to the Quest for Super Duper Offense?

I do like this trade. I think we got a great WR for cheap.

I am worried about a performance drop off because Allen is going from Herbert to Fields or a rookie.

But still, Moore and Allen together is a serious 1-2 punch.

Now how about we go for the balls? Literally and figuratively.

Trade down to 2. Then take MHJ.
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

I honestly don't understand the pessimism here.
[*]6 time Pro Bowler
[*]5 seasons with 100+ receptions
[*]Career high 108 catches last year to go along with 1200+ yards and 7 TD's

And now some folks here feel he's too old or lost a step? Just like that? :frustrated:

This is a great move. Poles has added a superstar at WR to pair with the one we already have. Allen is a fantastic route runner that finds ways to get open. And he catches anything thrown his way. He doesn't even have to be our #1, which makes him arguably the best WR2 in the league. The Dolphins, Rams, Bengals, Eagles 49ers, and Titans have an argument.

To argue cost is a fair point, I do admit that. The money will work itself out though. Poles has shown to be pretty adept at balancing the budget. I am going to spend my energy celebrating what a great acquisition this was though for the Bears talent on the field.

Go Bears!!
STLINI
Practice Squad

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:51 am This is a win now move, and with this move, I think that Justin is staying. Not saying he's not going to pick Caleb. He very well might. But Justin should be on our roster next year. He gives us the best chance to win now. I would say that this move is "doing right by Justin Fields."

IMHO that always had more than the single meaning most thought it did.
Why does he give us the best chance to win now? We've seen rookie QB's have success, CJ Stroud just did it last year. Fields has been a bottom 10 QB every year he's played. Just because he has experience doesn't automatically make him a better QB. Plus we've got a new OC coming in, so he's going to be in a new system just like a rookie will be. If you draft Caleb Williams at #1, it'll be a circus if Fields is still on the roster.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:03 am Spotrac's real-time cap calculator has the Bears at $35M.
Look at the player list to the left

There's lots of recent signings that haven't been included yet, because terms aren't known
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:42 am @HurricaneBear

What are your thoughts on this as it relates to the Quest for Super Duper Offense?

I am worried about a performance drop off because Allen is going from Herbert to Fields or a rookie.

He's a bit old and I was never his biggest fan....but I LOVE IT!!!!

This is how you support a QB(whatever their name may be). Give him weapons.

A TE, a RB(despite my bitching about $$$), a WR some linemen. FINALLY!

I do think this makes a trade down from 1 more likely buta trade down from 9 is absolutely in play as well. I'd still absolutely go for MHJ but I think it all but eliminates that unfortunately. I do think they definitely draft someone now in the 2nd-4th rounds at least.

Keenan will benefit from being #2 here and Moore will benefit from teams not being able to double him as much. Really it helps all positions on offense so much.

We are a true #3 WR and 1 depth lineman away from opening the Super Duper Offense door. It's an exciting day to be a Bears fan
STLINI
Practice Squad

I'd think going for the balls would be to get a QB that can deliver the ball to their hands. ;)
Hoog
Pro Bowler

So, looking to an extension. Allen is in a group of the likes of Adam Thielen, Mike Evabs, and Devante Adams. All are 30 or older. Thielen is the oldest but probably the vest comp, imo. He is only making around $6m now a days but in his 32-33 ages he made $16m. Evans, who is more dynamic than Allen and a year younger, will make $20.5m the next two seasons. Adams contract is a mess but he is the same age and more dynamic than Allen. He will also make about the same money as Allen this coming season but its like $40m per the next two, which will get worked out or cut.

So, all this being said and seeing Thielens production, I'm very good with a 2 year $17m per for Allen. Guys like him don't fade as fast as speed guys. Hands don't just all of a sudden go away. Now, we just have to figure out the #13 conflict with CW
dplank
Hall of Famer

So…after sleeping on this for a night I don’t really get it still. He only has 1 year left on his deal, so this feels like a “win now” move unless we extend him.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled to have him and plug our biggest hole on the team! He’s an outstanding player that will help either Fields or CW. Whichever direction we go at QB, this will be the best circumstance that a QB has had to operate in since Cutler/Forte/Bennett/Marshall/Jeffery. Personally I’d love to see JF1 get a fair shot at playing with a real team like this as I believe he would explode. But if it’s CW, then I’m thankful that we have built the team up enough to support him properly coming in as a rookie and not keep up this cycle of futility.

Seems like every time I start getting pissed at Poles, he does something like this and totally redeems himself.

dplank
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:27 am

I'd think going for the balls would be to get a QB that can deliver the ball to their hands. ;)
Peanut33
Rookie

Having 2 Elite #1 WR’s at the same time is going to fun to watch, I’m 64 and never seen it here, closest was Brandon Marshall & Alshon with Marty at TE.
We are in fact loaded, and perfect environment to bring in a young stud QB, Ryan Pace… I was wrong about you this off-season, you were waiting for your set, and swooped in without hesitation.
Yes, Keenan I will be 32, but like DJ he wins with intelligence and moxy not physical traits, he is exactly the type of recieved that has the potential to age well and be effective for several more years. I also see an extension coming,.
I have given Ryan Poles plenty of crap because of impatience and being tired of losing, he is becoming a very good GM
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm coming around on the trade. I think my mindset was a WR1 that needed to play 17 games and be the primary go to. But that's not the case. He's going to be a GREAT WR 2 or 3. As someone said, if we can get 15 games and 1000 yards out of him, that will make the trade worth it. And he's one of the league's best route runners. A WR who is where and when they are supposed to be on the field. What a concept...
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Are you new? Welcome aboard! Picked an interesting time to join.

Hurricane and I often fantasize about the idea of Super Duper Offense. Our version of the Greatest Show On Turf.

It’s a partial meatball idea that is grounded somewhat in reality that’s fun to talk about.

My preference is to stay with JF1 but if we change I am not a fan of Williams. I can see Maye or Daniels with a preference to Maye.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:36 am So…after sleeping on this for a night I don’t really get it still.

Seems like every time I start getting pissed at Poles, he does something like this and totally redeems himself.

Wait, what??

You started with "I still don't get it" and ended with "Poles did something amazing and redeemed himself".
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
UOK
Site Admin

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:36 am So…after sleeping on this for a night I don’t really get it still. He only has 1 year left on his deal, so this feels like a “win now” move unless we extend him.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled to have him and plug our biggest hole on the team! He’s an outstanding player that will help either Fields or CW. Whichever direction we go at QB, this will be the best circumstance that a QB has had to operate in since Cutler/Forte/Bennett/Marshall/Jeffery. Personally I’d love to see JF1 get a fair shot at playing with a real team like this as I believe he would explode. But if it’s CW, then I’m thankful that we have built the team up enough to support him properly coming in as a rookie and not keep up this cycle of futility.

Feels similar-ish to the Sweat trade. I don't think Poles tries this move unless he's spoken with Allen and his representation to inquire if they'd consider an extension.

It took a good while to get Sweat extended, and it may take a few weeks for Allen as well.
STLINI
Practice Squad

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:54 am

Are you new? Welcome aboard! Picked an interesting time to join.

Hurricane and I often fantasize about the idea of Super Duper Offense. Our version of the Greatest Show On Turf.

It’s a partial meatball idea that is grounded somewhat in reality that’s fun to talk about.

My preference is to stay with JF1 but if we change I am not a fan of Williams. I can see Maye or Daniels with a preference to Maye.
I am new to this board. All good man, I know everybody has their own opinions on the QB situation. All I care about is that they get it right. I'm a CW guy, but whatever they do I just want it fixed. I was a STL Rams fan for years while they were here, so any semblance of the GSOT would be awesome.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:52 am I'm coming around on the trade. I think my mindset was a WR1 that needed to play 17 games and be the primary go to. But that's not the case. He's going to be a GREAT WR 2 or 3. As someone said, if we can get 15 games and 1000 yards out of him, that will make the trade worth it. And he's one of the league's best route runners. A WR who is where and when they are supposed to be on the field. What a concept...
The trade makes sense.

There’s no guarantee of getting a WR at 9 and we could not go into the season with Scott and Velus as WR 2 and 3.

There was probably a bit of desperation here, but we got a great one at a low price. I’m happy.

This all but telegraphs DE / DT now at 9 given that we didn’t do anything in FA there.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Remember the new Bears WR coach came from the Chargers. He coached Allen the past 2 seasons. Allen and Moore as mentors, damn.

Great trade. He is well worth a 4th.

Consider this, 4th rd picks play an average of 44 games in their career. If all plays here for 3 seasons, even if he misses a few games, it is well worth the gamble.

As far as trading out of 9, why? If a stud, can't miss dude is there, why pass? Do extra picks mean those players are sure fire players? No. Quantity does not always mean quality.
STLINI
Practice Squad

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:01 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:52 am I'm coming around on the trade. I think my mindset was a WR1 that needed to play 17 games and be the primary go to. But that's not the case. He's going to be a GREAT WR 2 or 3. As someone said, if we can get 15 games and 1000 yards out of him, that will make the trade worth it. And he's one of the league's best route runners. A WR who is where and when they are supposed to be on the field. What a concept...
The trade makes sense.

There’s no guarantee of getting a WR at 9 and we could not go into the season with Scott and Velus as WR 2 and 3.

There was probably a bit of desperation here, but we got a great one at a low price. I’m happy.

This all but telegraphs DE / DT now at 9 given that we didn’t do anything in FA there.
My man Jonny Newton starting to look awfully enticing as a 3-tech.
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

On sleeping on it I like this trade even more in the light of day. Kennan should have a good 3 seasons left in him, so I expect an extension is coming. The Williams - Fields debate doesn't matter in this regards as it will help either QB (or both if we draft CW and retain JF). Keenan is one of the best route runners, great YAC, one of the best slant - short cross WRs, his game is built on technique not speed. How can this not be awesome paired with DJ.
Pick #9 is free to grab a player like Dallas Turner if he is there and bang- Dline pass rush is fixed, or trade back some to get a 2nd and grab one of the WR like Thomas, Franklin, or McConkey.
Some of ya'll acting like a extra scoop of ice cream is biting into a lemon.