Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:23 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:41 pm

The way that Williams has approached the lead up to the draft would give me A LOT of concern. Nothing at the combine, wouldn't release medicals, won't throw at USC's pro-day, cancelled meeting with the Bears. Bring on any excuses you want to. There is a pattern there of delusions of grandeur. Kids like that get crushed in the NFL. All of the sudden they find out that they aren't the best athlete on the field, they aren't going to be immediately successful, and they don't have the maturity or mindset to handle it. I will stick by my stance that Caleb Williams will be a Johnny Manziel level bust.
Top prospects don't throw at the combine.

Caleb Williams will throw at his USC pro-day.

Caleb Williams didn't cancel his meeting with the Bears. They never had a meeting. The Bears requested a meeting but Caleb had already left Indy and was back in Los Angeles and scheduled to fly out to Jacksonville to start workouts.

Given you were wrong about each one of those points - are you rethinking 'Caleb's conduct leading up to the draft'?
No. They are quoting a random Youtuber as gospel instead
docc
Head Coach

Welp..Welcome to Bears CW..I hope to hell you makes us proud on and off the field..
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

He’s not coming, Keenan Allen is 13 so it obviously can’t be CW13
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m not gonna lie, a dark part of my soul wants to still see us trade down just to destroy the CW stans. I hate them. Please don’t destroy the next guy the way you destroyed the last one.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:08 pm I’m not gonna lie, a dark part of my soul wants to still see us trade down just to destroy the CW stans. I hate them. Please don’t destroy the next guy the way you destroyed the last one.
Stop hating them. You're better than that. They're gonna need some support when CW joins the Commandos.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:08 pm I’m not gonna lie, a dark part of my soul wants to still see us trade down just to destroy the CW stans. I hate them. Please don’t destroy the next guy the way you destroyed the last one.

If I could force a QB into making bad decisions Aaron Rodgers would have never won a Super Bowl and I wouldn’t be living in my Mom’s basement eating pizza rolls.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

The Bears destroyed Fields, not the fans :thumbsup:

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

My attitude about this is that The King Is Dead, Long Live The King.

What has happened is what has happened.

Whether it is Williams, Maye or Daniels I am buying the jersey on Day One and I’m devoting my time to figure out which of the the Big Three gives us the best opportunity for success.

Don’t focus on the CW-Stans. There are always two sides to any debate.

Time for me to move on.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’m a Bears fan rather than a player’s fan.
So if the Bears have a new QB then I do too.

Loved watching Fields, the most exciting QB we’ve had in living memory. Wish him well :clap:

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:59 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:34 pm
Are you claiming that's compelling? Because it isn't.
I thought it was extremely compelling and very logical. Unfortunately, it seems people have been watching too much politics and they use ad hominem attacks rather than addressing his points. He makes a bunch of very logical points.
Ok - Fields Fanatics presenting a Smoking Gun! One guy with no ties to the game and ---- A commentator on his Youtube channel - Hell Yeah - Lets do this in Real Time as I get my mind changed~!!!!!!

"Done it at the NFL Level" - Running. Not passing.

Justin Fields is still sitting here - As if there hasn't been any talks with him. But sure people signed

Then he quotes OTHER random Youtubers as to a trade with Washington - Basically the Inception of Non-Informed people .

Medical - Not a thing to worry about - like at all - But then says the ManBra thing - which is a thing that everyone wears (Screams THIS GUY IS WELL INFORMED!!!!!!)
- if you think that this is a Real Issue - I don't know what to tell you.

Conspiracy theory - Poles having Fields go on vacation. Then willfully misinterpreting what doing right by Fields meant/means.

OHHH - Commenter TO the Youtube Guy is the Guest? Well now- You can't get someone more qualified than that!!!!!

Commenter DOES own a Bears Jersey - Doing His OWN Research??!? That never goes wrong on the internet

Chose Justin over Getsy - Ok. This shows an inherent misunderstanding of how things work (God you guys are freaking making me listen to a COMMENTATOR to an already random guy)

The OC helps QBs meet their potential?!?!? Well THAT CAN ONLY MEAN FIELDS!

Poles actual comment - Does not matter

OH - Throwing at the Combine matters? Great stuff. Fucks up that they actually did get their Height and Weight - Whoops. Johnny Randoms even More Random Fan didnt' do His homework?!?! Color me shocked

More medical stuff - This is truly sad to have to hang ones conspiracy hat on Wowzers

Kingsbury - Tea LEaves - I GUARANTEE YOU THATS WHY HE WENT TO WASHINGTON! HE WAS TOLD ITS DONE!

Poles made them an offer - Hes gonna guess on it mind you (I mean hes gonna Guarantee that BOTH the Offer HAPPENED - and is essentially Done - AND Guarantee THATS why Kingsbury went to Washington - But he can't tell you exact details (*)

(*) Also he just spent 5 min before that saying that no one would commit to Caleb before the Medicals - but Also Washington already has done that and gotten an OC based on that. So,.....sure.

WE HAVE TO SEE HIM THROW. You know - how the process works? I'd obviously tell an OC that he has to come here because we are trading up for Caleb - but Combine throwing is paramount - Granted we had many scouts at actual games he played - but thats not the same as a Combine or Pro Day

Why did Washington trade Howell?!?!? Only way is because they are getting Caleb!!! Oh....They Draft #2? And 3 of the top guys in the Draft are QBs - but it can ONLY BE CALEB for why you'd trade....Sam Howell. (Also they brought in Mariotta too - but guessing Johnny Random Inception Snow Level might not know that)

That can't make sense. It only makes sense for Caleb?

Lots of holes still to fill - Traded away their 4 for Keenan Allen (Didn't that fill a Hole?). Oh Trade down is only way to get more picks from #1.....Man if only this guy knew we had Pick #9 as well and kind of don't have many holes anymore.

Again - that deal with Washington is done - not announced - for reasons? IF ONLY HE WOULD THROW AT THE COMBINE!~~

Shit - this random Commentator doesn't just have sources on the Washington - very real trade - he can site the talks with NE, Giants Or Minnesota - (Johnny Snow Level) - AND the Raiders (Johnny Original) - AND THE BEARS HAVE BEEN THE ONES Orchestrating those plans. Damn. Poles can make other teams talk to other teams?!? This is getting gooooooooood.

Oh - shit - Can't take Marvin Harrison yet because he didn't do the Full Combine. I thought he was kind of good.

New England not going to give up too much to move up - Oh thats because the Washington deal is already done. My bad.

Oh - Now hes quoting "Reporters" on the Minnesota moving up theory (which is probably going to happen - just not to #1) - Granted everything these reporters said on Caleb or Fields - Doesn't count. But in this scenario it helps the crazy conspiracy - so thus it can be used as evidence. Noted.

Poles said Tackle Class is deep - just a truthful observation - but sure he's moving on from Braxton

DJ Moore contract only two more years? Shit, we need 2 more WR. After this case of beer and the next one, we only have two cases left!!!!! (Although DJ is also - still going to retire here. So I guess Johnny Original and Johnny Original need to fight that out Fight Club style)

OH. Self Doubt? He is only speculating on the Minnesota deal - its not down like the Washington one. (Though probably already worked out- ha - Self Doubt didn't last a full minute)

When do they start talking about how Fields can actually play QB well at the NFL level?

Oh - you can pick whatever you want? Fucking Bears fans dont know other WR! Pieces of crap -

"All Could be Completely in my head, this whole world could be completely in my head" - Ok. Now we have a point of agreement.

Poles is working - he's not just waiting for Pro Days (But the reason its not done because......Pro Days (from earlier)

Blanks on the new TE - great.

Finally no excuses for Justin Fields -He just needs - checks notes. 3 more 1st Rounders this year. Plus the Keenan Allen add- plus 3 1sts next year too - But this is the first time ever a true Fields Fanatic has suggested what it would take for there to be no more excuses . It's utter insanity mind you - but its the first time no more excuses has actually been a thing(*)

(*) Are they ever making the argument that Fields can play?

There it is. He has apparently made plays! He'd be so good if Guys didnt stop running on his perfect throws!!!! (wowzers)

We only upgraded the OL- For Fields?

Being Houdini! (Dont look at Sacks or Sack Rate). Dropping Dimes over the middle?!?!?! Wowzers. That's not an area he throws much - like noteably so. Including at Ohio State

Oh - tacit admission that Fields can't really read Defenses. Get one of those OCs that don't need a QB to "read defenses". Got it.

FIRST GUEST EVER! This seems extremely credible

Ugh - doubling down on the bad Howell point.

They wont trade their 4th and 5th unless this crazy thing was true!

Everything from national and chicago media is unfair! Myopic! When are they gonna see the conspiracy is true!

Well - that's 30 minutes of my life Im not getting back
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Are you suggesting that Message Board posters "Destroyed" Fields?

I know I'm actually reading this correctly (and hating people who disagree with you)

But maybe just take this one back entirely?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:19 pm

If I could force a QB into making bad decisions Aaron Rodgers would have never won a Super Bowl and I wouldn’t be living in my Mom’s basement eating pizza rolls.
If you do make that move with the pizza rolls - I know just the Youtube channel you can be a guest on
thunderspirit
Head Coach

It really is not necessary to piss on the metaphorical grave.
You can bask in the "I WAS RIGHT' glow without dumping all over anyone else.

I'm just saying.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:22 pm
My attitude about this is that The King Is Dead, Long Live The King.

What has happened is what has happened.

Whether it is Williams, Maye or Daniels I am buying the jersey on Day One and I’m devoting my time to figure out which of the the Big Three gives us the best opportunity for success.

Don’t focus on the CW-Stans. There are always two sides to any debate.

Time for me to move on.
Yea me too, whoever the new guy is will be my new guy. I've been that way for nearly 40 years that's not going to change now lol. But trade down is still a thought for me even though TBH if Poles manages to extend Keenan Allen then he's actually achieved the team building I was hoping for. We will have an elite WR duo and a very good TE room and a decent backfield. The OL is middling but ascending so they could be pretty damn good next year if we stave off the injury bug.

That said, looks like whoever we draft gets thrown right into the deep end. Not fucking ideal. Just once I'd like our franchise to take a patient development track with a quarterback.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:43 pm

I know I'm actually reading this correctly (and hating people who disagree with you)

No, you destroyed the fun for a lot of fans. You obviously can't impact a QB's performance. I don't hate people who disagree with me, I hate people who ruin the fun for the rest of the party. That's been going on for a few years now.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I posted that before the Fields trade news - man I didn't think there was a scenario where we didn't get a 3rd
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:47 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:43 pm

No, you destroyed the fun for a lot of fans. You obviously can't impact a QB's performance. I don't hate people who disagree with me, I hate people who ruin the fun for the rest of the party. That's been going on for a few years now.
Can you at least admit that we probably werent wrong? On the 50-50 stuff, or really most of it?

At the very least if we thought Lawrence was the markedly better prospect it wasn't due to racism? I'd settle for that
wab
Mod

This is such a weird POV.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Come on, Rich. Let it go, dude.
You got what you wanted.

Just let it MFing go.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:50 pm
dplank wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:47 pm

Can you at least admit that we probably werent wrong? On the 50-50 stuff, or really most of it?

At the very least if we thought Lawrence was the markedly better prospect it wasn't due to racism? I'd settle for that
Can we just don’t?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:53 pm Come on, Rich. Let it go, dude.
You got what you wanted.

Just let it MFing go.
It happened like 42 minutes ago?

And all Im asking for is "Hey you know when you got called a Troll and a Racist - repeatedly - so what was ultimately a very, very correct take?" Sorry about calling you those names.

Would that be so hard?

And that wasn't what I wanted - I wanted Fields to be good.

It was just always people saying that noting he wasn't good was Hate - All the Coaches fault, all someone elses fault always.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:55 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:50 pm

Can we just don’t?
Eh. Its not that much to ask for people to man up and admit it and apologize some.

If Fields led us to the promised land - I would have been posting (I got Matt Ware wrong years ago - and always tried to post on that )- Bad call by me - terrible call by me - Anyone I ever called an apologist I got that wrong. Etc.

Now - should they have to do it forever?

But its 42 minutes into it and there hasnt even been one admission - just hey glad the haters got what they wanted
thunderspirit
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:56 pm And that wasn't what I wanted - I wanted Fields to be good.
Fields is gone. There's no longer any reason to pretend that being right hasn't always been more important than anything else to you.
KFFL refugee.

wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:59 pm
wab wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:55 pm

Can we just don’t?
Eh. Its not that much to ask for people to man up and admit it and apologize some.

If Fields led us to the promised land - I would have been posting (I got Matt Ware wrong years ago - and always tried to post on that )- Bad call by me - terrible call by me - Anyone I ever called an apologist I got that wrong. Etc.

But its 42 minutes into it and there hasnt even been one admission - just hey glad the haters got what they wanted
It’s just…you know it’s creating conflict for the sake of conflict because you are never going to get what you are after.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:01 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:56 pm And that wasn't what I wanted - I wanted Fields to be good.
Fields is gone. There's no longer any reason to pretend that being right hasn't always been more important than anything else to you.
This is just not the case though.

This is a situation where I would have loved to be wrong - I just don't ignore the facts either.

Do you still feel it was all Getsy's fault?

But man - I got called every name in the book just for being inconveniently right - it was like Ibsen's An Enemy of the People
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:02 pm
RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:59 pm

It’s just…you know it’s creating conflict for the sake of conflict because you are never going to get what you are after.
Creating conflict? This isn't new stuff

I got called every name in the book no?
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Jesus, dude, read the room.
All you have to do is leave the keyboard for a little while.
KFFL refugee.

RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:09 pm Jesus, dude, read the room.
All you have to do is leave the keyboard for a little while.
Got it. You can call peoples trolls loudly

But can't even admit when they were right.

Not my favorite thing - but you do you.

I think Poles has us in a good position still. So no reason to cry
wab
Mod

RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:07 pm
wab wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:02 pm

Creating conflict? This isn't new stuff

I got called every name in the book no?
The internet is not a real place. Shake it off and move on.

Victory laps like this and DPlank’s haters comment are only going to end one way, and are just not helpful.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I get wanting people to eat crow. People rarely do however. I