Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

o-pus #40 in B major wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:59 am
HurricaneBear wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:28 am With Justin gone we should all be thrilled the Bears are selecting a QB with the 1st pick in the NFL draft. Not only that, a guy most analysts having been saying is one of the top prospects in years.

This isn't picking Mitch. This is picked someone most agree is "the guy".

This is an exciting time to be Bears fans. However you felt before the Fields trade, its time to get on board and support Mr Caleb Williams, starting QB of your Chicago Bears.
I'll wait until he becomes a Chicago Bear.
That’s a fair response. We’re all assuming it’s Caleb.

In the context of drafting a QB #1 though I think that’s exciting.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:55 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:45 am

You and the Boss both need to look in the mirror on this one. You people know exactly what Rich is and you tolerate it every day.
In my many years of experience it seems every forum has at least one member like that. One who specializes in creating more circular debates than any other person on the site. Why is that and why do we let it go? Furthermore why can't they let it go when it's obvious no agreement can be reached? They always need to have one more post about it to make.
So you guys took that as a Rich was in the wrong?

Ok then.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:43 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:55 am

In my many years of experience it seems every forum has at least one member like that. One who specializes in creating more circular debates than any other person on the site. Why is that and why do we let it go? Furthermore why can't they let it go when it's obvious no agreement can be reached? They always need to have one more post about it to make.

Ok then.
I hope that this is the start of an exciting new development: Rich speaking in third person.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:01 am Jesus H, just read through most of this. My first comment is some folks need a life. There’s plenty I got wrong here and it bothers me zero to admit those things:

1. I wasn’t convinced Poles was just going to take whatever he could get for him. His value league wide was shit. My opinion is clearly at odds with that so wrong there.
2. I thought if he didn’t get much then he should keep both (I still think this and disagree with Poles move but was wrong there too)
3. I wanted to keep Fields and build around him, but had 50/50 odds on what I thought Poles was gonna do. I’m not sure how I’m wrong here, the 50% landed on the side I didn’t prefer but sure I guess I was wrong here too? Not really how 50/50 works but ok.
4. At this stage, Lawrence is clearly viewed as the better player league wide so for now I’m wrong there also. But the entire story isn’t told yet.

Al those admissions said, with the hope that it will help the sore winners move forward, there’s still the actual outcome of this move that is not determined yet. I sure hope Poles does better with this trade than last time he traded with Pittsburgh, but I strongly disagree with Poles on this and believe he’s made a mistake.

1. As for Fields the player, I’ll admit I was wrong on him if his career arc goes the Mitch Trubisky path from this point forward. But Ibthink he’s going to excel in a better organization - time will tell.
2. Yea I still blame Getsy for a lot of and his surrounding cast. Poles agrees with me here. He fired Getsy immediately. He let Mooney walk for mid WR $$ without trying to sign him and upgraded WR with Allen. He launched both Centers into the sun and signed two new ones. Those aren’t the moves of someone who thought it was all Fields fault and a simple QB swap was all we needed. He believes CW is a big improvement over what he had in Fields, that’s all this proves. So a win for the CW stans there.
Mooney got paid pretty darn well in a relatively weak money wise FA for WR (Strength of the Draft)

And agreed that the book isn't fully written on Fields - but it isn't trending in the right direction either

The Getsy argument is pretty weak given that Getsy got interviews AND a new OC job (he didn't take a demotion) - And that the league just fully told you what they thought about Fields
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

Burl wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:20 am
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:21 pm The Bears destroyed Fields, not the fans :thumbsup:
I really don't think they did.
They traded a #1 overall pick for a top tier WR, had a great TE at his disposal, used their top pick after trading back on an OL. They changed the offense to suit his style. Provided a strong defense.

I'm not saying the team was perfect, but let's not act like they didn't try to help him out.
Year 3 he was definitely given a chance to succeed - but I think everyone can admit the first two years were some bullshit and were a terrible situations to throw a rookie and second year player into.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:45 am

Ok then.
I hope that this is the start of an exciting new development: Rich speaking in third person.
God that would make Rich even more obnoxious

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:46 am
Burl wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:20 am

I really don't think they did.
They traded a #1 overall pick for a top tier WR, had a great TE at his disposal, used their top pick after trading back on an OL. They changed the offense to suit his style. Provided a strong defense.

I'm not saying the team was perfect, but let's not act like they didn't try to help him out.
Year 3 he was definitely given a chance to succeed - but I think everyone can admit the first two years were some bullshit and were a terrible situations to throw a rookie and second year player into.
Everyone should be able to admit that, yes.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:09 am The biggest criticism of Justin Fields was his inability to anticipate and throw accordingly. I finally saw Justin make such a throw against Atlanta last year. But with the move now made, I've been looking at a lot of clips of Caleb Williams. Thus far, I have yet to find an example of an anticipatory throw of his. Can those Caleb Williams' pundits on here, show me an example of one? Or does he have the same problem as Fields?
Oh now it's actually an issue? It wasn't just made up? Weird.

Though someone found Fields throw % over the middle of the Field in College (something like 8%)

Anyone have that number for Caleb?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:01 am Jesus H, just read through most of this. My first comment is some folks need a life. There’s plenty I got wrong here and it bothers me zero to admit those things:

1. I wasn’t convinced Poles was just going to take whatever he could get for him. His value league wide was shit. My opinion is clearly at odds with that so wrong there.
2. I thought if he didn’t get much then he should keep both (I still think this and disagree with Poles move but was wrong there too)
3. I wanted to keep Fields and build around him, but had 50/50 odds on what I thought Poles was gonna do. I’m not sure how I’m wrong here, the 50% landed on the side I didn’t prefer but sure I guess I was wrong here too? Not really how 50/50 works but ok.
4. At this stage, Lawrence is clearly viewed as the better player league wide so for now I’m wrong there also. But the entire story isn’t told yet.

Al those admissions said, with the hope that it will help the sore winners move forward, there’s still the actual outcome of this move that is not determined yet. I sure hope Poles does better with this trade than last time he traded with Pittsburgh, but I strongly disagree with Poles on this and believe he’s made a mistake.

1. As for Fields the player, I’ll admit I was wrong on him if his career arc goes the Mitch Trubisky path from this point forward. But Ibthink he’s going to excel in a better organization - time will tell.
2. Yea I still blame Getsy for a lot of and his surrounding cast. Poles agrees with me here. He fired Getsy immediately. He let Mooney walk for mid WR $$ without trying to sign him and upgraded WR with Allen. He launched both Centers into the sun and signed two new ones. Those aren’t the moves of someone who thought it was all Fields fault and a simple QB swap was all we needed. He believes CW is a big improvement over what he had in Fields, that’s all this proves. So a win for the CW stans there.
The 50-50 stuff was pure head in the sand stuff Dplank.

It was never a coin flip - and basically all the sources, comments, etc pointed the direction that Fields was gone

There was an insider (actual Reporter - not Pro Fields YouTuber (*) - that stated it early: The Bears are going to move on from Fields - the only question is which QB in the draft (**)

(*) Again that was basically the extent of the Bears will bring back Fields and pass on a QB in the Top 10 crowd had as "evidence" - Random Youtubers

(**) This is not 100% Caleb by the way - it's also not 50-50 as Caleb being a Bear with the Number 1 pick is the strong favorite

But it's just not how 50-50 works is what Im saying. If two things can happen and one of them has like a 90% chance and the other has a 10% chance - it's not 50-50
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Ok then.
I never knew how much I wanted this until you put the ides in my head. That's gold, Rusty!
Umbali
MVP

I cant believe this has all come down to posters arguing about their opinions and feelings on this subject. Arguing over who won and lost in their opinions. As Bears fans we ALL lost again because again we are rebooting and starting over with yet another QB
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:03 am
I never knew how much I wanted this until you put the ides in my head. That's gold, Rusty!
A couple questions if I may:

1) What if Rich1 decides to troll Rich2? Or vice versa. Would that create some kind of doom vortex / Excel circular reference Mobius Strip where they just troll each other for infinity?

2) Would I need to put both on Ignore?

3) Then what happens if Rich2 starts this third person speak too? Rich3?
Bearfacts
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:28 am With Justin gone we should all be thrilled the Bears are selecting a QB with the 1st pick in the NFL draft. Not only that, a guy most analysts having been saying is one of the top prospects in years.

This isn't picking Mitch. This is picked someone most agree is "the guy".

This is an exciting time to be Bears fans. However you felt before the Fields trade, its time to get on board and support Mr Caleb Williams, starting QB of your Chicago Bears.
Good point. It's not yet draft night and the card hasn't yet been turned in. I won't bet against it so I won't bet at all.

In the news of the last day maybe we shouldn't overlook the rumor that Poles does have a deal worked out with Wash if he decides to take it. If he has the medicals he sought now and the Bears docs have Ok'd everything he knows he's good to go with CW and he's taken care of old business by trading JF where he at least has a shot at starting again. He's also prepared the offense about as well as he could for a rookie QB so that's finished business as well. All that's left is the major interview with CW at his pro day and other QB as well I would imagine because he's left no doubt he plans to draft a QB.

Nothing has changed from what's been predicted all along and he's still in the driver's seat in round one. If a final decision hasn't been 100% made now's the time for all new business which should include any trade offers for that pick. If he doesn't at least hear what others are willing to pay he's not doing his job. There's over a month yet to go and the decks are clear of the JF issue and FA at least for the most part so all they should need consider from here on is the draft. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Poles office and any conference room where they all meet to lay out their plans. There's still a lot of interest in what they plan to do overall.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

so, it is now very clear Caleb Williams will be the #1 pick and he will be the #1 pick most likely for the Bears unless Poles likes someone else

say Poles prefers Drake May or someone else ... he could still spend that #1 to get his guy and get more to work with in return ... I hope Poles realizes what a unique situation he finds himself in ... he gets this right and he will be held in high esteem ... he gets it right and the Bears win a Super Bowl, he could probably run for mayor

I'll be interested to see what happens as I don't think the Bears staying put and taking Williams is a 100% guarantee ... there are a lot of options and I am sure Poles is considering all of them
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Bearfacts
MVP

Umbali wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:09 am I cant believe this has all come down to posters arguing about their opinions and feelings on this subject. Arguing over who won and lost in their opinions. As Bears fans we ALL lost again because again we are rebooting and starting over with yet another QB
It does get old doesn't it? I've lost count of how many QB we've drafted since Mac. All have failed to be "The One" who would lead us to the promised land. IIRC we even drafted one named Moses and that failed as well. Maybe that's why I've reached a point where I keep looking at options other than whoever the newest messiah is this time.

Some teams just seem to have a knack for finding great QB. GB is obviously one of them. Then we have teams like the Jets and the Bears who just can't seem to get that part right. Instead we have great defenses and draft great RBs. But it's become a pass oriented league and without at least a far better than average QB none of the rest will matter or so it seems.

If I've been patient this long waiting for the 2nd coming of Sid Luckman I guess I can wait a little longer. Not much else to do. Maybe this time we will finally get it right and for once we'll have a QB who actually gets his 5th year option picked up. The only one we ever extended was Cutler and we didn't even draft him. Nothing in our past says we got it right this time either but I guess we had to try.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:11 am

1) What if Rich1 decides to troll Rich2? Or vice versa. Would that create some kind of doom vortex / Excel circular reference Mobius Strip where they just troll each other for infinity?

Why oh why didn’t I take the blue pill.
dplank
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:59 am

The 50-50 stuff was pure head in the sand stuff Dplank.

It was never a coin flip - and basically all the sources, comments, etc pointed the direction that Fields was gone

There was an insider (actual Reporter - not Pro Fields YouTuber (*) - that stated it early: The Bears are going to move on from Fields - the only question is which QB in the draft (**)

(*) Again that was basically the extent of the Bears will bring back Fields and pass on a QB in the Top 10 crowd had as "evidence" - Random Youtubers

(**) This is not 100% Caleb by the way - it's also not 50-50 as Caleb being a Bear with the Number 1 pick is the strong favorite

But it's just not how 50-50 works is what Im saying. If two things can happen and one of them has like a 90% chance and the other has a 10% chance - it's not 50-50
This is what being a poor sport looks like. I owned all the parts I was wrong about, that was ignored 100%, then focus on what else you can try and rub in.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:41 am If I've been patient this long waiting for the 2nd coming of Sid Luckman I guess I can wait a little longer. Not much else to do. Maybe this time we will finally get it right and for once we'll have a QB who actually gets his 5th year option picked up. The only one we ever extended was Cutler and we didn't even draft him. Nothing in our past says we got it right this time either but I guess we had to try.
I get what you're saying, to my core.

I do think this is the best situation a Chicago Bears rookie QB has ever walked into (in my lifetime, I can't speak to pre-Harbaugh), let alone a #1 overall pick.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Ok then.
:lol:
@Ditka’s dictaphone thinks this is a funny take
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:16 am
dplank wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:08 pm I’m not gonna lie, a dark part of my soul wants to still see us trade down just to destroy the CW stans. I hate them. Please don’t destroy the next guy the way you destroyed the last one.
Jesus Chris dude, I'd like to think you are better than this.
I thought you were better than turn coating on a guy you loved in the way you did, so I get the disappointment. In football I value players with high character, guys I can root for. CW just gives me a punk bitch vibe, and I’m really uncertain if he’s the guy I want. I was there before when it was theoretical, but now that the die is cast on Fields I’m just not looking forward to rooting for him. Maybe I just need more time. Hopefully that changes, if we draft him it certainly will at some point. But I’ll laugh my ass off at the stans if we trade down and take Maye or Daniels or JJ. I’m not a scout so I’ll trust whoever Poles goes with.

At the end of the day if he wins football games I won’t care too much about his personality I suppose.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:11 am

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:07 pm

I thought you were better than turn coating on a guy you loved in the way you did, so I get the disappointment. In football I value players with high character, guys I can root for. CW just gives me a punk bitch vibe, and I’m really uncertain if he’s the guy I want. I was there before when it was theoretical, but now that the die is cast on Fields I’m just not looking forward to rooting for him. Maybe I just need more time. Hopefully that changes, if we draft him it certainly will at some point. But I’ll laugh my ass off at the stans if we trade down and take Maye or Daniels or JJ. I’m not a scout so I’ll trust whoever Poles goes with.

At the end of the day if he wins football games I won’t care too much about his personality I suppose.
The thing for me that I’m taking away from this is that G08 stands for absolutely nothing and it all depends on which way the wind blows.

Every week in Discord from him. JF1 this and JF1 that.

So apparently G08’s stance on things is a lot like Chicago weather. If you don’t like it, then wait five minutes.

That and the dubious claims about watching all those games.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t know if you follow Bears players on Twitter, but some current and former are straight up pissed about this. Fans who loved him should be allowed the space to be upset without mocked for it, it hasn’t even been 24 hours. My favorite player in any sport since Jordan just got dumped, it feels like waaaay back when the Orioles traded Eddie Murray (he and Walter were my childhood idols)
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I totally get this. Likely CW is the pick and we will all cheer for him. But he does come across as unlikable. I truly wonder what his teammates feel off the record.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:22 am

Good point. It's not yet draft night and the card hasn't yet been turned in. I won't bet against it so I won't bet at all.

In the news of the last day maybe we shouldn't overlook the rumor that Poles does have a deal worked out with Wash if he decides to take it. If he has the medicals he sought now and the Bears docs have Ok'd everything he knows he's good to go with CW and he's taken care of old business by trading JF where he at least has a shot at starting again. He's also prepared the offense about as well as he could for a rookie QB so that's finished business as well. All that's left is the major interview with CW at his pro day and other QB as well I would imagine because he's left no doubt he plans to draft a QB.

Nothing has changed from what's been predicted all along and he's still in the driver's seat in round one. If a final decision hasn't been 100% made now's the time for all new business which should include any trade offers for that pick. If he doesn't at least hear what others are willing to pay he's not doing his job. There's over a month yet to go and the decks are clear of the JF issue and FA at least for the most part so all they should need consider from here on is the draft. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Poles office and any conference room where they all meet to lay out their plans. There's still a lot of interest in what they plan to do overall.
It would take brass balls of epic proportions to trade down from 1 now. If Poles really likes Maye or Daniels, OK great, but dang the optics of that.
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:52 pm I don’t know if you follow Bears players on Twitter, but some current and former are straight up pissed about this. Fans who loved him should be allowed the space to be upset without mocked for it, it hasn’t even been 24 hours. My favorite player in any sport since Jordan just got dumped, it feels like waaaay back when the Orioles traded Eddie Murray (he and Walter were my childhood idols)
I think a lot of us who truly liked JF and believed in him felt he should get a shot at working with a new OC and a wholly reworked offense and had we not lucked into another 1st overall pick in a year with a guy everyone says is the best prospect since Andrew Luck then JF might have gotten that chance.

But this is the NFL. D J Moore is right. It's a monopolistic business whose product is both sport and entertainment. When GSH pushed the NFL toward TV and shared revenues I don't think he had any idea how big a deal the NFL has become. Nothing it does isn't about making money and the more the better.

JF was like that guy we worked with. Maybe it was in sales. He was a terrific guy and everyone loved him. He'd give you his last buck to help you out of you needed it more than him. But he didn't produce well enough to meet his quota and got let go. Some of us have been around that guy or some of us have even been that guy.

JF deserved better than he got here and hopefully he'll finally get it in Pitt. They are a great organization much like the Bears in the pre-McCaskey era. Maybe things in the front office have changed now and for the better. Maybe we won't allow sentiment to frustrate success any longer and it may have come down to just that.

I still believe JF will become a successful NFL QB but I'm gonna have to watch him do it somewhere else. That bothers me too.
Bearfacts
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:07 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:22 am

It would take brass balls of epic proportions to trade down from 1 now. If Poles really likes Maye or Daniels, OK great, but dang the optics of that.
Following this move I don't really think Poles cares as much about optics as he does winning and for that we should be grateful at least for now. Nothing has changed relative to the risk level he's taking if he drafts CW and we end up with another failed attempt at drafting a franchise QB. He knows it too. But from what I've seen of him he does have brass balls. He's got his way of doing stuff.

Swifty pointed out today that Poles if finally ready to plant his flag on this team lock stock and barrel. From this point on all success or failure will roll up on him as GM. This is his plan. He'll be accountable for it all the way and I don't think he'd want it any other way and neither so we as fans. He's really taken the lead now so let's see what he does with it. Can't be worse than Phil Emery right?
dplank
Hall of Famer

You're on to something there Bearfacts (prior post in reponse to mine). We are likely going from a guy who was an exemplary human to a guy that, to me at least, seems like a bit of a turd of a human. And the turd is getting setup with the whole buffet, the absolute best circumstances in which to thrive - while the exemplary human got none of that then shipped out of town. It's all just so wrong at a personal level, and it's what I think is bothering me most here. It's less about the "football" side than it is about the personal side, I like seeing good people succeed and I like seeing shitty people get their comeuppance.

I'm very hopeful that my very limited intel at this stage on CW proves to be wrong and he's not the personality type I fear - that would be awesome and would help me root for him a lot. I'm open to it and will start paying more attention now that Fields is out of the picture.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:20 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:07 pm

Following this move I don't really think Poles cares as much about optics as he does winning and for that we should be grateful at least for now. Nothing has changed relative to the risk level he's taking if he drafts CW and we end up with another failed attempt at drafting a franchise QB. He knows it too. But from what I've seen of him he does have brass balls. He's got his way of doing stuff.

Swifty pointed out today that Poles if finally ready to plant his flag on this team lock stock and barrel. From this point on all success or failure will roll up on him as GM. This is his plan. He'll be accountable for it all the way and I don't think he'd want it any other way and neither so we as fans. He's really taken the lead now so let's see what he does with it. Can't be worse than Phil Emery right?
The over arching concept this whole time that I have said a few times is that I trust Ryan Poles.

The turnaround he has done here has been nothing short of massively impressive. What he did with last year's #1 overall pick might be the most impressive trade any NFL GM has ever done; including the Herschel Walker trade based on how this turns out for us.

If Ryan Poles believes that Caleb Williams is the best QB for this team, then I'm on board with it.

I advocated my ass off for JF1, but none of us here, including the Caleb guys, have even the slightest amount of resources and insight into these decisions that Poles does.

I can think whatever I want, but the reality is that our GM, who has done some impressive work for us fans, thinks the best direction at QB is somebody else.

OK, let's see what happens. Once Caleb's name is called for us, I'll be one of his biggest supporters.
G08
Hall of Famer

"Turn coat" is comical; Caleb Williams is the better player and I want what's best for my favorite sports team on the planet.

I'm talking about directly about your vitriol now, that speaks more to character than being a football fan. It's shitty, plank. You're better than that.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS