Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Kylo Bearen
Player of the Month

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:19 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 pm It's not a thing? What did Poles get for the #1 pick last year?
Explain how one extra first round pick is a "large haul" of first round picks?

Seems like it's a single pick, to me? Please explain how one pick is actually multiple picks?
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 pm Last year's trade has already had a major impact allowing Poles to acquire 4 starters with more to come. How can another trade along these lines not set the franchise up for the rest of the decade?
Because a franchise quarterback is the most important thing for your football team to have? And you can't "set the franchise up" if you don't have one of those guys?

You can disagree with Poles, and that's fine. That's how fandom works. The thing right now is that Poles thinks he needs an upgrade at quarterback.
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:15 pm No I don't think the decision was made in a vaccuum. I just don't see that it tips Poles hand to us or anyone else as to what he's going to do in the draft. How does acquiring Allen make it any more or less certain that he's going to keep Fields or draft a QB?
Beause Poles thinks that swapping Fields for Williams instantly upgrades the passing game. That's why he went for a rock solid WR2.

I honestly don't understand the slavish devotion to Fields...so I'm going to stop addressing it. The whole thing makes absolutely no sense to me. What has he done to inspire that? I find it weird.
Good grief. I've explained it 3 times already. Poles did it this time last year. I even laid out the return. I really don't understand why you've had such a hard time comprehending a very simple concept of a trade for multiple assets and the impact that can have on a team over several years.

It's all moot now anyway. It's highly unlikely to happen now that Fields has been traded. I still maintain the trade for Allen did not reveal that was going to happen in advance though. Apparently you have insight into Poles' mind and know exactly what he's thinking, an ability nobody else on this forum possesses. We mortals just speculate and ponder possibilities.

You also seem to think I had a "slavish devotion" to Fields. I don't know why. I was just laying out the options Poles had, namely to pass on a QB (presumably Williams) and trade the #1 pick for multiple assets to build and maintain the team over several years or to take a QB because he believes he's an elite prospect who will elevate the team.

Poles has now traded Fields so it seems clear he's going with the second option. I have no problem with that, at least not at the moment. I assume our new QB will be Williams and like everyone else will be beyond delighted if he leads the Bears to another championship. If he turns out to be yet another failure then like everyone else I will be beyond annoyed and if Fields also winds up leading the Steelers to a championship like everyone else I'll be livid!

I do expect the new QB to be successful and for that success to come early. Unlike most highly drafted QBs this one is going to walk into a locker room with a lot of talent, with Allen being the final key piece to the offensive skill positions (which doesn't preclude Poles adding more in the draft). Two quality WRs, a quality TE with a solid no.2 and a good RB group are all in place. I do still have concerns about the offensive line but it should be better than last year.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:26 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:21 am did you ask your grandson to show you how to ignore people on this forum?
Yes, I traveled into the future by 25 years and talked to him. You would not believe what football is like in 2049.

Tell us oh time-travelling one... are the Bears going to win another Super Bowl by then?

docc
Head Coach

..why is John Elway askin' ?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Former Charger and recent Bears acquisition Amen Ogbongbemiga's opinions on Allen:
“Dog — all day. From Day 1 of training to to Week 15 or whenever he stopped practicing [because of a shoulder injury], he gave it his all, and I’m looking at myself like, ‘This dude’s still got it.’”

“He’s got a lot of years [left] in the tank. That’s what people don’t understand. They might look at his age and question him, but he’s got the juice. He’s going to bring some special moments to the city of Chicago. They are going to love him.”

“I’m excited. I couldn’t hold my smile in when I saw the news. I was like, I couldn’t believe I’d be joining up with him again. It’s just one of those dudes you play with and you’re excited you play with and you want to say that, ‘I played with Keenan Allen.’ He’s that type of player. I can’t wait. I can’t wait to get another opportunity to play with him.”

“He’s always open. It doesn’t matter who’s throwing him the ball. He’s gonna be open. So as long as the guy can get the ball to him, it doesn’t matter who it is, he’s going to find the void in the defense if you’re playing zone; if you’re in man coverage, he’s gonna beat you."

“I think he’s the most quarterback-friendly guy and that says a lot about him. I’m sure he’s going to be missed a lot back in L.A. But he’s a quarterback-friendly guy and he’s gonna get a lot of targets and bring in a lot of receptions.”
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Gerald Everett, another former Charger now Chicago Bear, on the acquisition of Allen:
“Excited. Excited. He was one of the first guys that I actually intertwined with when I joined the Chargers in 2022. It’s good to make this transition with a familiar face.”

“He’s a craftsman. He’s very consistent, just how he approaches the practice field every day. He’s a laid-back guy, but when the lights come on, he produces. It’s infectious. People feed off that and the Chargers, we fed off that. Watching him when I was with the Rams, they always fed off Keenan. I don’t see that changing here, even with DJ .”
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

We got this guy who normally would have walked in to be the Bears #1 with a sub par #2 like a Mooney in place. Instead, Poles is pairing him with DJ freaking Moore, a receiver who is clearly better than Allen.

I am still giddy over this
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:16 am We got this guy who normally would have walked in to be the Bears #1 with a sub par #2 like a Mooney in place. Instead, Poles is pairing him with DJ freaking Moore, a receiver who is clearly better than Allen.

I am still giddy over this
And Gerald Everett
And D’Andre Swift
:clap:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:37 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:26 am

Yes, I traveled into the future by 25 years and talked to him. You would not believe what football is like in 2049.

Tell us oh time-travelling one... are the Bears going to win another Super Bowl by then?

Jesus, I'd be 94 if I make it that long...I wonder what the Vegas line would be for the Bears in the SB ....
Last edited by Grizzled on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Bearfacts
MVP

malagabears wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:36 am Here's the whole presser. Seems really down to Earth.

Hope he learns to like saaaaaasage on his pizza instead of the way they mess one up in Cali.

Guess ya' can't help but like the guy and I hope we can work out an agreeable extension with him. Some players defy that age 30 barrier and continue to be productive beyond that. He's one of them so far. One thing I've gained from watching his videos is he knows his craft and how to get open. He's an absolute "zone killer" and can still beat man coverage or simply take the ball away when he is covered. Now if the OL can just protect the pocket and CW or whoever can read and throw on schedule we may finally having a passing game that actually threatens teams and they can trash the screen passes we kept seeing. But that OL has to step up.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

It's just such a nice move
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Allen is already discussing the E-word: extension, he seems amenable to one.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
wab
Mod

I would assume he gets something like a 3yr deal with a reasonable out after 2.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'm skeptical we're looking at an extension for Allen before the season starts. But fwiw, it seems the Mike Evans deal would be a potential framework to start on expectations. Though he'd be a couple years old by the time ext starts compared to Mike Evans.

That deal was 2/41 with up to 11M in incentives and escalators.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Having the QB on a rookie deal opens up all kinds of possibilities.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:42 pm I would assume he gets something like a 3yr deal with a reasonable out after 2.
Three new years or changing to a 3 year deal? I'm thinking it will be 3 years total.
wab
Mod

Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:04 pm
wab wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:42 pm I would assume he gets something like a 3yr deal with a reasonable out after 2.
Three new years or changing to a 3 year deal? I'm thinking it will be 3 years total.
3 years total.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:03 pm It's just such a nice move
It really is. Keenan was 100% right to tell the Chargers to fuck off, asking him to take a pay cut after his best season ever.

So now he has a chip on his shoulder, and is playing across from DJ Moore. If he stays healthy? God damn.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

A different type of Keenan Allen highlights video...

Hoog
Pro Bowler

Boy, I love this guy already! Everything he has said and done so far has screamed success and professionalism. For him to show up at CDubs pro day was just pure class. I think we are really going to like this dude.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:50 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:37 pm Has G08 claimed to have watched all of Keenan Allen’s games in the past three hours yet?
Well now this is just fucking funny :rofl:

And it's under three hours!
I forgot about what a shot put throwing motion Phillip Rivers had. LOL!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:20 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:04 pm

3 years total.
If we're paying him $23M this year, I hope the 2-year extension levels the AAV to more like $17M per.

I do have to admit. A WR duo of Allen and Moore sounds pretty fucking formidable.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:20 am
G08 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:50 pm

Well now this is just fucking funny :rofl:

And it's under three hours!
I think history's going to forget Phillip Rivers pretty quickly, but it shouldnt! He was great, a total weirdo off the field, and kind of weird on the field.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:22 am
wab wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:20 pm

3 years total.
If we're paying him $23M this year, I hope the 2-year extension levels the AAV to more like $17M per.

I do have to admit. A WR duo of Allen and Moore sounds pretty fucking formidable.
Total of 3 years, $51M with $32 guaranteed maybe.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:40 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:20 am

I think history's going to forget Phillip Rivers pretty quickly, but it shouldnt! He was great, a total weirdo off the field, and kind of weird on the field.
Phillip Rivers biggest problem had nothing to do with him. He just played in an era with too many elite, Hall of Fame level QBs.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:58 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:40 am

Phillip Rivers biggest problem had nothing to do with him. He just played in an era with too many elite, Hall of Fame level QBs.
There's this too
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

From a rapid Q&A on the Bears website:
Fast Facts: Keenan Allen

Any Bears players you watched growing up.

Obviously Sweetness, Walter Payton. Brian Urlacher — was a big fan of him. And obviously Devin Hester.

Favorite matchup in the league right now?

[Broncos cornerback] Patrick Surtain [II].

Toughest cornerback of all time?

[Former Jets cornerback] Darrelle Revis, for sure.

Who are you excited to team up with in Chicago?

DJ Moore.

What kind of guy are you in the locker room?

I'm the jokester, funny guy. I'm the one you want to be around. I'm big energy.

Do you and Jaylon Johnson have beef from the Pro Bowl?

Man, that was Jaylon Johnson! He was holding me, bruh. That's ridiculous.

Full article: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/fast- ... jLfw7LZzOc
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

That''s a great side effect I didn't think of before watching that clip. Allen is going to make Johnson even better. Iron sharpens iron! At this stage of Keenan's career, I don't think he can get any sharper, but the battles he and Jaylon will have in practice will make Johnson even better. So glad we got an extension done with Johnson and so excited we traded for Allen!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

As someone only a couple years older than Keenan, and you see this response a lot when guys get asked about Bears players...

How were they watching Payton growing up? Us millennials missed getting to see him live by like a decade. But still old enough that growing up was too early for the youtube/streaming era of internet where vast libraries of old content were easily accessible. It was basically the ad hoc NFL Films presentation on ESPN.