Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:58 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:49 am

I watch that video that I see a lot of arrogance for a kid who's never thrown a pass in the NFL. I also hear a player who has read a lot of his own press clippings. I get it. He's been the chosen one for the last two years. But players with that level of, "making the leap to the next level is something I've been planning and waiting for," tend to get crushed. As Mike Tyson said, "everyone has plan until they get punched in the mouth." If he walks into Halas Hall with that level of arrogance, and then gets crushed on the field, he's going to lose the locker room pretty quickly.

I'm not against Caleb Williams. If he's a Bear a will root my ass off for him. I just see a lot of personality red flags.
I don't know man, I've been very worried about his persona obviously. But now that Fields is gone, I've been paying much closer attention on this stuff and while I agree he's very confident - perhaps even over confident - confidence is a positive more than a negative. You have to be confident in yourself and feel like you belong or you'll never get there. I feel like Mitch/Justin were two completely different cases in confidence. Mitch I felt lacked confidence, and I think Nagy played a big part in that but generally I don't think the kid from UNC really felt like he belonged with the big boys in an NFL locker room. With Justin, I think his biggest problem was actually over confidence in his athletic ability. He thought he could outrun everyone and escape every pocket and make every play a big play. As gifted an athlete as he is, the league is full of gifted athletes and he needed to play less hero ball and reign it in. The net effect was too many bad sacks, too many passed up easy passes in favor of going for a big play, and it ended up in erratic performance.

One thing I heard from Caleb that I really liked was when he said "I hate running the football". He uses his legs to create time to throw, like Mahomes. This was a common refrain from the Fields haters and while I disagreed, it has merit particularly in the offense he was in. I liked Fields legs but it did require we design an offense for that, which we never did - therefore we either needed to change scheme or change QB. Caleb will fit any system.

I'm on board. My feelings for Fields were keeping me from truly diving in on Caleb, and now that I've spent more time looking I'm good. By time the season starts I'll be as big a Caleb fan as G08...well, maybe.
This is a great take, and very accurate regarding Trubisky and Fields. Part of me was still married to Fields and in love with the idea of trading down and stacking talent on the team. But ultimately the QB is the most important position on the field, and if you get that right it helps everything on that side of the ball fall into place. I still have some concerns, but I will come around as well. I just wish Justin had worked out.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:10 am
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:56 am I haven't written him off. Sure, go ahead and prove you can improve your arm strength, buddy.

His abilities as a QB last year. Vastly overrated by weird homers.

He'll never have elite arm strength, but maybe he can get it up to enough where he could be a legit game manager backup or even fringe starter.

Until we see evidence of increased arm strength, I don't think he's long for the NFL though. No shame. Most guys fade fast and even making it is a credit.
Damn, do the Bears know this?!? You should give em a ring, or atleast drop an email, I think they'd appreciate a heads up.
They have eyes like me, so I assume so.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:48 am
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:45 am

Brett talking about how much work these guys are doing to increase their velocity is kind of relevant with all the big-brained genius' saying Bagent has a noodle arm. Bagent basically went to a community college, writing him off completely is just kind of funny to me.
Yeah, and his training was Crossfit. Not exactly NFL preparation type stuff. Bagent is at a legit QB school this offseason, so I would expect quite a bit of improvement.
Word? Where is he at?
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:07 am

I watch that video that I see a lot of arrogance for a kid who's never thrown a pass in the NFL. I also hear a player who has read a lot of his own press clippings. I get it. He's been the chosen one for the last two years. But players with that level of, "making the leap to the next level is something I've been planning and waiting for," tend to get crushed. As Mike Tyson said, "everyone has plan until they get punched in the mouth." If he walks into Halas Hall with that level of arrogance, and then gets crushed on the field, he's going to lose the locker room pretty quickly.

I'm not against Caleb Williams. If he's a Bear a will root my ass off for him. I just see a lot of personality red flags.
This is a valid point not to be dismissed.

How will this guy respond to adversity?

It’s going to happen. Every QB ever in the NFL has had to face this.

Then leadership and respect is EARNED. How does CW handle going into a pro-JF1 locker room and leading the offense?
Regarding adversity, I think he may come in better prepared for that than Fields or Lawrence did. He lost more games in college than those guys did.

I want him to succeed 100% if he is the pick. Still have some concerns. You simply never know what's going to happen at the next level. Anyone thinking he will 100% be a star is kidding themselves. I do think he has a better chance than any other QB we've taken in the first round (although I don't think the gap between him now and Fields when he was drafted is that vast).

If he's they guy, I want him to make Mahomes look like Trent Dilfer and I want Fields to have Chase Daniels/Marcus Mariota type career.
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:57 pm

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder....

I see a kid with confidence who is comfortable speaking in public. He seemed to come off as affable and polite, but also knows he's really good at football.

I don't know if any of that will translate to the NFL, but I'm looking forward to finding out.
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:08 am
wab wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:48 am

Yeah, and his training was Crossfit. Not exactly NFL preparation type stuff. Bagent is at a legit QB school this offseason, so I would expect quite a bit of improvement.
Word? Where is he at?
He is (was?) in LA at 3DQB. Guys like Goff, Dak, Hurts, Stafford train there in the offseason. He said he was there with CJ Stroud and Bryce Young.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have not seen any arrogance at all. Confidence and he is comfortable with the press. Not many rooks or young guys come off this comfortable in media sessions. Chicago in for another go around of QB Roulette. Lets hope this one is a winner.
Noots
Assistant Coach

I think many of us see what we want to see and read what we want to read, and those interpretations shape our opinions about this guy.

I've been trying to find a reason to justify trading off of #1 to myself, looking for something to say "Aha...let's move the pick." Like maybe he'd measure at being under 6 feet tall. Nope. But I also don't want to pass on something special. I'm still finding it hard to shape anything I've seen, read or heard as an outlier or a red flag that he isn't all about ball, and is going to continue to bust his ass to be the best. And it seems there is genuine love for the guy among his teammates and coaches. Doesn't appear to be a dick, either. We've seen Jay Cutler with the media. He was a dick to them most of the time, although I'll say he was pretty down to earth with Waddle and Silvy when he was a regular on their show. CW is light years more of a decent dude with the media, and smart enough not to take Cowherd's bait to throw his OL under the bus at the same time.

Still looking for something that gives me pause. I'm not there. Until then, I see him as our QB1 in about a month.

@dplank I really appreciated your post up the thread a bit. Nudo's Kudos to you, sir. :D
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Noots wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:49 am I think many of us see what we want to see and read what we want to read, and those interpretations shape our opinions about this guy.

I've been trying to find a reason to justify trading off of #1 to myself, looking for something to say "Aha...let's move the pick." Like maybe he'd measure at being under 6 feet tall. Nope. But I also don't want to pass on something special. I'm still finding it hard to shape anything I've seen, read or heard as an outlier or a red flag that he isn't all about ball, and is going to continue to bust his ass to be the best. And it seems there is genuine love for the guy among his teammates and coaches. Doesn't appear to be a dick, either. We've seen Jay Cutler with the media. He was a dick to them most of the time, although I'll say he was pretty down to earth with Waddle and Silvy when he was a regular on their show. CW is light years more of a decent dude with the media, and smart enough not to take Cowherd's bait to throw his OL under the bus at the same time.

Still looking for something that gives me pause. I'm not there. Until then, I see him as our QB1 in about a month.

@dplank I really appreciated your post up the thread a bit. Nudo's Kudos to you, sir. :D
This is where I am with him. I was one of the people that wanted to trade down and build around Justin. So I think I look at CW with a critical eye and many of the concerns about his personality / being a good teammate APPEAR to being put to rest. His confidence/arrogance level MIGHT be an issue what it's not setting off alarm bells like Ryan Leaf appeared to have.

My concern now if simply that sometimes guys check off every box they need must and they simply can't cut it.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Noots wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:49 am I think many of us see what we want to see and read what we want to read, and those interpretations shape our opinions about this guy.

We haven’t seen any official trade offers for the 1 have we?

That would be the main consideration.

You can’t say well there’s nothing wrong with Caleb. Ok fine.

Would a star player, two first and two seconds change your mind?

But the problem now though is we can only trade with Washington or New England.

I don’t see that happening.

Caleb is coming to Chicago.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:38 am I have not seen any arrogance at all. Confidence and he is comfortable with the press. Not many rooks or young guys come off this comfortable in media sessions. Chicago in for another go around of QB Roulette. Lets hope this one is a winner.
I mean...maybe that's what it is and I'm misinterpreting it as arrogance. It seems that the run up to the draft at this point is just academic. He's going to be a Bear, and I need to embrace it and find the positives, which there are a lot. He just wasn't my first choice.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:11 am

We haven’t seen any official trade offers for the 1 have we?

That would be the main consideration.

You can’t say well there’s nothing wrong with Caleb. Ok fine.

Would a star player, two first and two seconds change your mind?

But the problem now though is we can only trade with Washington or New England.

I don’t see that happening.

Caleb is coming to Chicago.
We could trade down for this type of haul and take a JJ or Penix or something - both are far superior prospects to Purdy and that worked out fine for them with an elite team constructed around him.

I don't think this is what we're going to do at all, but it's not inconceivable.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Actually I like that video of Caleb.
I pay less (zero) attention to his words and more attention to his actions.
I like the way he moves along the line to talk to people face to face. That speaks volumes to me, it’s the little things which say a lot.

An arrogant prick would stand there and say, ‘you come to me’ or would shout in their general direction.

No I’m happy with Caleb’s actions on that video.
He’s also a hard worker, that also speaks volumes.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:26 am
Otis Day wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:38 am I have not seen any arrogance at all. Confidence and he is comfortable with the press. Not many rooks or young guys come off this comfortable in media sessions. Chicago in for another go around of QB Roulette. Lets hope this one is a winner.
I mean...maybe that's what it is and I'm misinterpreting it as arrogance. It seems that the run up to the draft at this point is just academic. He's going to be a Bear, and I need to embrace it and find the positives, which there are a lot. He just wasn't my first choice.
Don't worry, you will embrace it and love it. He is good. Real good. I was on team Justin/trade down also. Caleb's going to make us forget all about that.
IotaNet
MVP

All this armchair analysis of video snippets is irrelevant. I mean, as fans who don’t have any other info, it’s what we do, and that’s cool but we really don’t know jack.

I place far more emphasis on what Poles, Warren, et al decide. I trust that Poles knows what the heck he’s doing. The same with Warren and Eberflus. They’ve see far more football players (and poseurs) than I have and if they give the kid the thumbs up, I’m cool with it.

More than anyone, Poles’ whole career is on the line with how he handles this QB situation. He has more at stake than any of us. Whatever decision he makes will be well considered, measured, and analyzed. (He’s not going to pull a Phil Emery/Shea McClellan.)

Whatever he decides will be cool with me.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:58 am I'm on board. My feelings for Fields were keeping me from truly diving in on Caleb, and now that I've spent more time looking I'm good. By time the season starts I'll be as big a Caleb fan as G08...well, maybe.
He is oozing talent, wait until you actually watch him play (not being snide here).

I'm still nervous about the unknown: character/background, will his management team be a pain in the ass when it comes to signing a contract (especially his second contract if we are lucky enough to get to that point), can he command a room full of young-and-grown men, how will he handle losing, how will he handle the media, will he get distracted with other pursuits, etc.

I don't envy Ryan Poles and friends, they have their work cut out for them.

But from a pure football perspective? This kid is the goods.
Last edited by G08 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:32 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:58 am I'm on board. My feelings for Fields were keeping me from truly diving in on Caleb, and now that I've spent more time looking I'm good. By time the season starts I'll be as big a Caleb fan as G08...well, maybe.
He is oozing talent, wait until you actually watch him play (not being snide here).
There’s a video I intend to watch if someone comparing him with Luck and Lawrence as prospects - looked interesting. I doubt I’ll watch any games tho
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:34 pm

There’s a video I intend to watch if someone comparing him with Luck and Lawrence as prospects - looked interesting. I doubt I’ll watch any games tho
Check your PM, sent you some stuff I shared with others who asked about him
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:35 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:34 pm

Check your PM, sent you some stuff I shared with others who asked about him
:hungry:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I'm still nervous about the unknown: character/background, will his management team be a pain in the ass when it comes to signing a contract (especially his second contract if we are lucky enough to get to that point), can he command a room full of young-and-grown men, how will he handle losing, how will he handle the media, will he get distracted with other pursuits, etc.

How many Caleb Williams games have you watched today?
G08
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:40 pm

You'll be okay
Bearfacts
MVP

If a high level of self-confidence tinged with a little arrogance is too much to overlook I guess we should label Mac with the same when he was drafted and showed up for the first time with a 6-pak in hand. I have my own concerns but it all goes away if he produces and shows the kind of leadership winning QB are able to show game in and game out. There's little chance he's not gonna be who we draft.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Pardon me if this was already posted and I missed it. I was exactly down on Williams when he skipped USC' Holiday Bowl game in '23. It has become the norm for guys expecting to go highly in the draft to sit out bowl games. Williams, though, recently said that he sat out so the backup QB from USC could get some exposure. Which turned out well, the guy threw for like 6 or 7 TD passes. Does make me feel a bit better about him although I haven't seen anything showing he should not be Poles' pick.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
IotaNet
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:03 pm If a high level of self-confidence tinged with a little arrogance is too much to overlook I guess we should label Mac with the same when he was drafted and showed up for the first time with a 6-pak in hand …
THIS RIGHT HERE!

Think of all the UNBELIEVABLY WILD stuff that McMahon did as a draftee and rookie. Yet, he is beloved in this town.

Folks need to take a chill pill and watch the kid play.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:00 pm

You'll be okay
I liked that show. Wish they hadn't ended it.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I think your "concerns" are spot on. We, teams, whoever and watch all the film we want, listen to countless interviews they give and hear what other have to say about them. That can convince us that the player is the real deal. Yet when the step on the field it just doesn't work.

There are very few players I have been convinced where guaranteed to be successful more than Aaron Curry when he was coming out of Wake Forrest. The dude was the "real deal." Heck, there was some talk he could go first overall he was THAT good. Gets to the NFL and simply does nothing. A few other names to through out there - Justin Gilbert, Veron Gholsten (granted he died and might have done something once we gave up a second round pick for him), Justin Blackmon, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith (throwing that in just for @Yogi da Bear he had concerns coming out IMO), Jason Smith, Mike Williams, Courtney Brown.

Outside of Akili I don't recall any of those guys having an issue that made you pause and think they wouldn't be successful in the NFL.

It's simply the fear of the unknown I guess.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

You'll be okay
You have to answer for Santino, Carlo.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Hello
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G08
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:51 pm

You'll be okay
I liked that show. Wish they hadn't ended it.
I did too but I stopped watching after season 3
G08
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:02 pm

I think your "concerns" are spot on. We, teams, whoever and watch all the film we want, listen to countless interviews they give and hear what other have to say about them. That can convince us that the player is the real deal. Yet when the step on the field it just doesn't work.

There are very few players I have been convinced where guaranteed to be successful more than Aaron Curry when he was coming out of Wake Forrest. The dude was the "real deal." Heck, there was some talk he could go first overall he was THAT good. Gets to the NFL and simply does nothing. A few other names to through out there - Justin Gilbert, Veron Gholsten (granted he died and might have done something once we gave up a second round pick for him), Justin Blackmon, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith (throwing that in just for @Yogi da Bear he had concerns coming out IMO), Jason Smith, Mike Williams, Courtney Brown.

Outside of Akili I don't recall any of those guys having an issue that made you pause and think they wouldn't be successful in the NFL.

It's simply the fear of the unknown I guess.
Ah my friend you are thinking of the late Gaines Adams. Jerry Angelo traded for him, dude played 10 games for us (0 starts) and then died.

That might be an all-time whiff on a trade acquisition, no?