Plan that gets MHJ to #9

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Okay so it's not gonna happen, but I was looking at the draft board and trying to figure out how it could. This is the best plan i could come up with.

1. Bears - Caleb Williams. I think this is as close to a lock as you can get

2. Washington - Daniels

3. New England - Maye

4. Minnesota - JJ McCarthy They get worried they won't get a QB and panic and move to take a guy I think is the biggest risk of all the QBs projected to go early.

(feel free to rearrange how goes 2, 3 and 4 but it needs to be three QBs and AZ HAS to trade down)

5. Chargers - Dallas Turner. Bosa needs to be replaced and they take the #1 defensive player on the board.

6. Giants - Joe Alt. The team is just bad and they may feel they need to "build the lines" to be successful in the future and it's a deep WR class. So they view it as Alt + round 2 WR > MHJ + round 2 OT.

7. Titans - Nabers It's being discussed that some teams feel he is the WR #1 in this class. Need them to be such a team.

8. Falcons - Stumped on who they take, just have to hope with London and Mooney they somehow feel someone other than MHJ helps the team more, or maybe some trades up to take Penix.

9. Bears - MHJ

Of course the bigger issue is if he starts slipping a bit, someone after us is going to try and move up and snag him and we don't have the chips to counter that.
wab
Mod

In that scenario, the Falcons are 100% trading down with someone who wants MHJ.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:56 am In that scenario, the Falcons are 100% trading down with someone who wants MHJ.
Man crush my dream almost instantly why don't you. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Teams will want to move up, just have to hope the team that would move down get greedy and wants more than another team would pay.

Or he gets to #8, the Falcons have targets someone they don't want to miss out on and pull a trade like last year with the Eagles and give up a future #4 to move up one spot.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Somewhat related - does anyone know a good source for post-FA team needs?

All I've got is
and their format could not be more annoying.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If we could get both Phil Emery and Ryan Pace to draft ahead of us before we go at 9 then the Packer GMs who refused to support Rodgers all those years then there’s a chance it just might happen.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

This was on BR

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:08 am This was on BR

Weird the link is in my text but doesn't show up. :ashamed:

I found today searching "nfl team needs after free agency"
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

That's the same one that's semi-invisible in my post.

Quote and you can see it.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:52 am
8. Falcons - Stumped on who they take, just have to hope with London and Mooney they somehow feel someone other than MHJ helps the team more, or maybe some trades up to take Penix.
NFL forfeits thier pick for Free Agent Tampering 😈

You're welcome
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:27 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:52 am

You're welcome
Boom. From what I've read it appears the NFL will do something and it looks like the Falcons did very little to hide what they were doing. Would the punishment come this year do you think, or is it more likely it will be 2025 draft picks?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:32 am
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:27 am

You're welcome
Boom. From what I've read it appears the NFL will do something and it looks like the Falcons did very little to hide what they were doing. Would the punishment come this year do you think, or is it more likely it will be 2025 draft picks?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
malagabears
Journeyman

Soooo.... if the Cardinals are open for business would you: Trade this year's 1.9 and a 2025 2nd+ for the 4th if MHJ is still on the board?
Bearfacts
MVP

malagabears wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:55 pm Soooo.... if the Cardinals are open for business would you: Trade this year's 1.9 and a 2025 2nd+ for the 4th if MHJ is still on the board?
I might do it but I don''t believe AZ would. A future pick is gonna be worth at least 100-150 less than a current pick.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Some web sites are ranking Nabers as the top WR. I doubt, however, that too many teams are going off draft analyst rankings. Yes, the Chargers need young DL to replace old expensive ones. They need WRs to replace Allen and Williams. They supposedly are looking at one of the top OT to play RT. And they hired Greg Roman, the penultimate user of tight ends, so might they snap up Bowers? The Giants have so many holes, do they go foundation (OT) or QB (because Jones ain't good)? The Titans need OL. They could use a dynamic WR. The Falcons signed Mooney, they always seem to need DL. So it's a possibility that one of the top 3 WRs slides to the Bears at 9. Read this a.m. that if Odunze or Nabers is available, Poles will not trade the pick.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Bearfacts
MVP

Yeah, I would tend to agree that if a WR Poles wants is still on the board #9 he'll take him. The other alternative is a DE and none but Turner seem to rank that high.
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

malagabears wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:55 pm Soooo.... if the Cardinals are open for business would you: Trade this year's 1.9 and a 2025 2nd+ for the 4th if MHJ is still on the board?
On Good Morning Football this morning on NFL network, the Cardinals GM said they are absolutely open to trading. He said the open sign is on and bright neon in color. Found this story on Fox Sports to back it up.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/2 ... akes-sense

I don't think the Bears have the draft capital to pull off a trade, but it sure got me thinking/wishing. If Chicago could walk away with Williams and MHJ, I don't know if I would be able to contain my excitement for the 5 months before the season starts.
Heinz D.
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:32 am Boom. From what I've read it appears the NFL will do something and it looks like the Falcons did very little to hide what they were doing. Would the punishment come this year do you think, or is it more likely it will be 2025 draft picks?
The bolded, for sure. The league will have to "investigate" everything. Then do it all over again. All the while pimping ESPN and NFL Network to over-report the story every single day, so as to humiliate the Falcons. Then, they'll have to huddle and decide on a punishment...yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'd be shocked if they get all that done before the draft.
Absolutely not. For one, Poles would be stupid to draft a WR in the top ten--he already has D.J. Moore, Keenan Allen, and Tyler Scott. In spite of what the football media keeps screaming--you don't draft WR3 (or, even, WR4 possibly) with the #9 pick.

For another, if Poles DOES decide to go that route (and it's not impossible he will, as Moore and Allen didn't cost him all that much, capital-wise), then, Harrison isn't so superior to Nabers and Odunze (and maybe even Thomas) to justify spending all that coin on him. You just draft Odunze and call it good.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:12 pm
Absolutely not. For one, Poles would be stupid to draft a WR in the top ten--he already has D.J. Moore, Keenan Allen, and Tyler Scott. In spite of what the football media keeps screaming--you don't draft WR3 (or, even, WR4 possibly) with the #9 pick.
I am not disagreeing with your logic, just want to counter point that while he would initially be WR3 on Chicago, he would be WR1 in the very near future, probably next year and hopefully for a long time to come. Maybe he and Williams could mimic the career of his father and Peyton and dominate the league together for 10+ years. In 11 seasons, Manning and Harrison collaborated for 961 receptions, 12,881 yards and 112 touchdowns. All are NFL records for a quarterback-receiver tandem. (credit Google search for those last 2 lines).

While WR3 on Chicago, he would be WR1 for many teams in the NFL. It's ok to stack talent at the WR position in what has become a very pass heavy league. Just think about Az-Zahir Hakim for the Rams. He was clearly WR3 on that team, but did plenty of damage to opposing defenses and would have been WR1 on many NFL teams those years. Drafting a WR at pick 9 or even trading up to get MHJ is not the worst idea.
grendel2000
Journeyman

Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:23 pm
Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:12 pm
I am not disagreeing with your logic, just want to counter point that while he would initially be WR3 on Chicago, he would be WR1 in the very near future, probably next year and hopefully for a long time to come. Maybe he and Williams could mimic the career of his father and Peyton and dominate the league together for 10+ years. In 11 seasons, Manning and Harrison collaborated for 961 receptions, 12,881 yards and 112 touchdowns. All are NFL records for a quarterback-receiver tandem. (credit Google search for those last 2 lines).

While WR3 on Chicago, he would be WR1 for many teams in the NFL. It's ok to stack talent at the WR position in what has become a very pass heavy league. Just think about Az-Zahir Hakim for the Rams. He was clearly WR3 on that team, but did plenty of damage to opposing defenses and would have been WR1 on many NFL teams those years. Drafting a WR at pick 9 or even trading up to get MHJ is not the worst idea.
If you think MHJ is a generational talent you take him. Period.

Allen has a few years left probably.

You NEVER know when you will lose someone to injury, so we could quickly go from "we have Moore and Allen - we're in AWESOME SHAPE!" to "We have a star and a bunch of nobodies, what are we gonna DO???!!!".

You take MHJ if you can. And next year the only marquee position you need to fill is EDGE.
wab
Mod

Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:10 pm
On Good Morning Football this morning on NFL network, the Cardinals GM said they are absolutely open to trading. He said the open sign is on and bright neon in color. Found this story on Fox Sports to back it up.

I don't think the Bears have the draft capital to pull off a trade, but it sure got me thinking/wishing. If Chicago could walk away with Williams and MHJ, I don't know if I would be able to contain my excitement for the 5 months before the season starts.
I'm guessing that the #4 pick is going to the Vikings. I think NE might actually take Alt or Nabers, leaving Maye or Daniels for the Vikings. The Pats have so many holes that selecting the #3 QB over the #1 WR or #1 OT might be tough. I could see them going after Penix at the bottom of R1 or even taking Rattler at the top of R2.

I think Nix falls.
Heinz D.
MVP

Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:23 pm While WR3 on Chicago, he would be WR1 for many teams in the NFL. It's ok to stack talent at the WR position in what has become a very pass heavy league. Just think about Az-Zahir Hakim for the Rams. He was clearly WR3 on that team, but did plenty of damage to opposing defenses and would have been WR1 on many NFL teams those years.
Where did the Rams draft him?
grendel2000 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:27 pmIf you think MHJ is a generational talent you take him. Period.

Allen has a few years left probably.

You NEVER know when you will lose someone to injury, so we could quickly go from "we have Moore and Allen - we're in AWESOME SHAPE!" to "We have a star and a bunch of nobodies, what are we gonna DO???!!!".

You take MHJ if you can. And next year the only marquee position you need to fill is EDGE.
And Moore has even more years left than Allen does.

So, by the injury scenario you outline above, shouldn't the Bears take another QB at #9? QBs OFTEN get hurt...what if Caleb Williams and Tyson Bagent go down? Shouldn't we therefore draft Pennix, or whoever, at #9?

Do you honestly think a star at WR3 is going to affect the team's fortunes more this year than a star at DE2? Isn't the goal, like, to win? And not just plan for injury?
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:53 pm
Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:23 pm While WR3 on Chicago, he would be WR1 for many teams in the NFL. It's ok to stack talent at the WR position in what has become a very pass heavy league. Just think about Az-Zahir Hakim for the Rams. He was clearly WR3 on that team, but did plenty of damage to opposing defenses and would have been WR1 on many NFL teams those years.
Where did the Rams draft him?

4th round, 96th overall
Heinz D.
MVP

Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:59 pm 4th round, 96th overall
Isn't that, like, somewhat below 1st round, 9th pick? By a tad, anyway?
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:04 pm
Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:59 pm 4th round, 96th overall
Isn't that, like, somewhat below 1st round, 9th pick? By a tad, anyway?
Yes it is, I was simply answering your question. My argument is not that Hakim was the best WR in that draft. Randy Moss was taken in the same draft at #21 overall. My argument is having a stud WR3, especially if there is potential for that WR3 to quickly ascend to WR1 on the team for a long time to come, is not a bad pick. Taking an edge rusher at 9 overall to pair with Sweat is also a good idea. There is more than 1 right answer at #9. I would personally, love to see the Bears take a WR if one of the Big 3 are still there. Our defense was top 10 last year. You never want to stay complacent, but our offense was horrendous. Investing in our offense with both top 10 picks is not bad drafting.
Heinz D.
MVP

Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:16 pm My argument is not that Hakim was the best WR in that draft. Randy Moss was taken in the same draft at #21 overall. My argument is having a stud WR3, especially if there is potential for that WR3 to quickly ascend to WR1 on the team for a long time to come, is not a bad pick. Taking an edge rusher at 9 overall to pair with Sweat is also a good idea. There is more than 1 right answer at #9. I would personally, love to see the Bears take a WR if one of the Big 3 are still there. Our defense was top 10 last year. You never want to stay complacent, but our offense was horrendous. Investing in our offense with both top 10 picks is not bad drafting.
I should have already stated--we'll obviously never agree on this. I think #9 should be DE, OT, or Bowers...in that order. Do WR with the third round pick. Wilson, from Michigan, would be great...
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:20 pm
Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:16 pm My argument is not that Hakim was the best WR in that draft. Randy Moss was taken in the same draft at #21 overall. My argument is having a stud WR3, especially if there is potential for that WR3 to quickly ascend to WR1 on the team for a long time to come, is not a bad pick. Taking an edge rusher at 9 overall to pair with Sweat is also a good idea. There is more than 1 right answer at #9. I would personally, love to see the Bears take a WR if one of the Big 3 are still there. Our defense was top 10 last year. You never want to stay complacent, but our offense was horrendous. Investing in our offense with both top 10 picks is not bad drafting.
I should have already stated--we'll obviously never agree on this. I think #9 should be DE, OT, or Bowers...in that order. Do WR with the third round pick. Wilson, from Michigan, would be great...
All good sir. Nothing wrong with healthy debates. We don't all think alike, which is a good thing.

Go Bears!!!
wab
Mod

In order, the distribution of targets will probably be something like:
1a: Moore
1b: Allen
2: Kmet
3: Everett
4: Swift
5: WR3 (Scott)

And while Allen is 32, I expect him to have at least one or two more solid years. If for some reason Allen were to get hurt, I would imagine there will just be more two TE sets. I can't see how WR3 in this offense is going to get more than 45-50 catches on the season.

JSN was the WR3 for the Seahawks last year and he came off as pretty frustrated with Waldron because of the lack of opportunities due to the heavy use of TEs. I think he averaged around 30 yards a game on 60 some catches.

I can't imagine taking a WR at 9 just for him to catch 100 balls over the next two years.

I believe with every fiber in my being that they trade down from 9 into the late teens. They'll pick up a 2nd and a 4th or 5th and address WR later.
Bearfacts
MVP

The delta between #4 and #9 is 450 points plus whatever premium AZ would ask if any and we don't have 2024 pick to cover it. We should probably count ourselves lucky if Odunze fall to #9 instead. To bad that 2025 2nd we got in last years trade down isn't a 2024 pick.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:55 pm

The delta between #4 and #9 is 450 points plus whatever premium AZ would ask if any and we don't have 2024 pick to cover it. We should probably count ourselves lucky if Odunze fall to #9 instead. To bad that 2025 2nd we got in last years trade down isn't a 2024 pick.
I think if AZ trades they will do so with a QB needy team. They will be able to squeeze more out of such a team than someone wanting to move up for MHJ I think.
Sweetness34
Practice Squad

You make a very good point about Waldron. He obviously will not call games the same way Mike Martz did with the Rams. I don't think the Bears will make the move to draft MHJ. I'm just saying if they did, I believe it would be an amazing pick. To me, you don't draft MHJ to be WR3 for long. This year, probably. You draft him to be your WR1 by the time Allen starts to decline and then enjoy the combo of Harrison JR and DJ Moore for years to come. I honestly believe MHJ is a generational talent. I know that word gets thrown around too much these days, but I am not using it lightly in my opinion of his skillset and his potential. While players these days are different and less patient, I do think he will be a bit more patient and grounded because of the teachings of his father and would complain less about being WR3 on Chicago for a year or even 2. Harrison SR had a good first 3 years, but didn't blow up until his 4th year (Manning's 2nd season).

At the end of the day, it's wishful thinking the Bears draft MHJ. But until his name is called for another team, I will at least dream.