Plan that gets MHJ to #9

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

None of the big 3 WRs will be there, because Bears. Alt will be gone also. Maybe there’s a trade down opportunity if someone really wants Bowers? Otherwise it looks like DE, pick of the litter for Poles.
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:20 pm
Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:16 pm My argument is not that Hakim was the best WR in that draft. Randy Moss was taken in the same draft at #21 overall. My argument is having a stud WR3, especially if there is potential for that WR3 to quickly ascend to WR1 on the team for a long time to come, is not a bad pick. Taking an edge rusher at 9 overall to pair with Sweat is also a good idea. There is more than 1 right answer at #9. I would personally, love to see the Bears take a WR if one of the Big 3 are still there. Our defense was top 10 last year. You never want to stay complacent, but our offense was horrendous. Investing in our offense with both top 10 picks is not bad drafting.
I should have already stated--we'll obviously never agree on this. I think #9 should be DE, OT, or Bowers...in that order. Do WR with the third round pick. Wilson, from Michigan, would be great...
Why would you draft Bowers after having signed Everett to play the Move TE spot as opposed to say Odunze? Even though Odunze would come in as potentially a #3 WR he can play both the X position or swap with Keenan at time into a slot role. I get that Waldron uses a lot more 12 personnel than we were used to seeing with Getsy but wouldn't you want a better blocking TE than Bowers whose almost a big WR. Unless of course you use Bowers in the slot and move Keenan to the X role.

If Odunze isn't on the board at #9 and an OT would more than likely sit in 2024 unless he either beat our Jones or we could use him at OG as well couldn't we trade down for another 3rd and get a DE there and then have another 3rd for a WR? Just wonderin' what your thoughts are based on.
grendel2000
Journeyman

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:53 pm
Sweetness34 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:23 pm While WR3 on Chicago, he would be WR1 for many teams in the NFL. It's ok to stack talent at the WR position in what has become a very pass heavy league. Just think about Az-Zahir Hakim for the Rams. He was clearly WR3 on that team, but did plenty of damage to opposing defenses and would have been WR1 on many NFL teams those years.
Where did the Rams draft him?
grendel2000 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:27 pmIf you think MHJ is a generational talent you take him. Period.

Allen has a few years left probably.

You NEVER know when you will lose someone to injury, so we could quickly go from "we have Moore and Allen - we're in AWESOME SHAPE!" to "We have a star and a bunch of nobodies, what are we gonna DO???!!!".

You take MHJ if you can. And next year the only marquee position you need to fill is EDGE.
And Moore has even more years left than Allen does.

So, by the injury scenario you outline above, shouldn't the Bears take another QB at #9? QBs OFTEN get hurt...what if Caleb Williams and Tyson Bagent go down? Shouldn't we therefore draft Pennix, or whoever, at #9?

Do you honestly think a star at WR3 is going to affect the team's fortunes more this year than a star at DE2? Isn't the goal, like, to win? And not just plan for injury?
You play only one QB. You generally play at least two, but probably three WR on every offensive play. Therefore, you need more of them.

Also, as I said in a separate thread, WR will take longer to acclimate. I don't care about winning THIS YEAR. The chances of winning the SB this year are next to NIL. So get the WR now and aim for DE and OL next year.
Bearfacts
MVP

wab wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:31 pm In order, the distribution of targets will probably be something like:
1a: Moore
1b: Allen
2: Kmet
3: Everett
4: Swift
5: WR3 (Scott)

And while Allen is 32, I expect him to have at least one or two more solid years. If for some reason Allen were to get hurt, I would imagine there will just be more two TE sets. I can't see how WR3 in this offense is going to get more than 45-50 catches on the season.

JSN was the WR3 for the Seahawks last year and he came off as pretty frustrated with Waldron because of the lack of opportunities due to the heavy use of TEs. I think he averaged around 30 yards a game on 60 some catches.

I can't imagine taking a WR at 9 just for him to catch 100 balls over the next two years.

I believe with every fiber in my being that they trade down from 9 into the late teens. They'll pick up a 2nd and a 4th or 5th and address WR later.
Knowing Poles there some fairly good logic here.

It appears that he traded for Sweat because it seemed smart than to risk trying to get his equivalent in the draft and the same might be said for Allen. Even in the late teens he should still have a shot at DE or a DT.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Brock Bowers
Xavier Worthy to a team that overvalues 40 time
A corner
xyt in the discord chats
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:12 pm Poles would be stupid to draft a WR in the top ten--he already has D.J. Moore, Keenan Allen, and Tyler Scott. In spite of what the football media keeps screaming--you don't draft WR3 (or, even, WR4 possibly) with the #9 pick.
The Rams surprised everyone when they drafted Aaron Donald despite being loaded on the DL at the time.

If a player you believe is going to be special is available when you pick then you grab him regardless of your current team needs.
Bearfacts
MVP

While I fully appreciate the idea that even the best college WR can take a year or two to become top NFL WR I wonder of the need to draft a WR this far ahead of time is great enough to pass on other more immediate needs? If MHJr is by some miracle still on the board at #9 it would much like Jalen Carter's fall last year but without the red flags or doubts about his character. I don't believe you could pass on him unless someone offered a crazy package of picks to move up and I don't any of that happening. Not with several teams needing to add WR talent this year drafting ahead of us and other willing to trade up for him with picks we don't have.
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

wab wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:31 pm In order, the distribution of targets will probably be something like:
1a: Moore
1b: Allen
2: Kmet
3: Everett
4: Swift
5: WR3 (Scott)

And while Allen is 32, I expect him to have at least one or two more solid years. If for some reason Allen were to get hurt, I would imagine there will just be more two TE sets. I can't see how WR3 in this offense is going to get more than 45-50 catches on the season.

JSN was the WR3 for the Seahawks last year and he came off as pretty frustrated with Waldron because of the lack of opportunities due to the heavy use of TEs. I think he averaged around 30 yards a game on 60 some catches.

I can't imagine taking a WR at 9 just for him to catch 100 balls over the next two years.

I believe with every fiber in my being that they trade down from 9 into the late teens. They'll pick up a 2nd and a 4th or 5th and address WR later.
JSN was most definitely the third option in the Seahawks passing game last year.

Last year in Seattle (targets):

WR Tyler Lockett (117)
WR DK Metcalf (112)
WR Jaxson Smith-Njigba (90)
TE Noah Fant (42)
RB Zach Charbonett (40)
RB Kenneth Walker III (33)
TE Colby Parkingson (30)
malk
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:56 am In that scenario, the Falcons are 100% trading down with someone who wants MHJ.
What have we got left to offer them? I'd find something to give up!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
cblaz11
MVP

I like the top 4….

That said, I’d bet my small life savings that Chargers go OT at 5…

That puts Bears in stinking distance to trade up from 9 to 6 and I could absolutely see Poles doing it.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

I don't know if the Bears could get to #4 or even #5 by offering 1-9, their 3rd rounder, and a 2025 2nd. One of those teams is going to ask Minny for both if its 1st rounders plus change.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:08 am I like the top 4….

That puts Bears in stinking distance to trade up from 9 to 6 and I could absolutely see Poles doing it.
Really? That seems off.

They just cut/traded their top two WR - and the draft is shaping up where they might get the Top WR (and the value if on WR there)

I am NOT ruling out OT mind you - but WR seems at least as likely
cblaz11
MVP

RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:23 pm
cblaz11 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:08 am I like the top 4….

Really? That seems off.

They just cut/traded their top two WR - and the draft is shaping up where they might get the Top WR (and the value if on WR there)

Couple thoughts

1. They drafted a WR in the 1st last year
2. They have a HC and OC who are firm believers in throwing to score but running to win
3. Deep WR class
4. Harbaugh is crazy…lol

Maybe I’m more hoping…I just don’t feel like they go WR at 5
dplank
Hall of Famer

Harbaugh is crazy. I'm half surprised they didn't trade Herbert - the fit with him and Roman seems odd to me. Harbaugh is like Parcells/Darth Vader in that he wants "his guys", and it's his personnel moves that will ultimately do him in IMO. He likes his "try hard guys" who will run through a wall for him types. I could absolutely see him going T here. I could see him going WR and if he does I bet he'd favor Nabors. He's a tough guy to project.
cblaz11
MVP

Question then would be the Giants…could we see them trade back to 9? Would they do it or would they not be able to pass on MHJ
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:20 am Harbaugh is crazy. I'm half surprised they didn't trade Herbert - the fit with him and Roman seems odd to me. Harbaugh is like Parcells/Darth Vader in that he wants "his guys", and it's his personnel moves that will ultimately do him in IMO. He likes his "try hard guys" who will run through a wall for him types. I could absolutely see him going T here. I could see him going WR and if he does I bet he'd favor Nabors. He's a tough guy to project.
Roman loves him his TEs. I wouldn't be surprised if Bowers is the pick although I'm thinking Alt.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:58 am Question then would be the Giants…could we see them trade back to 9? Would they do it or would they not be able to pass on MHJ
I think they're liklier to go QB than WR honestly.

Feeling pretty good about 4 QBs going before 9 honestly.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:04 am
RichH55 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:23 pm

Really? That seems off.

Couple thoughts

1. They drafted a WR in the 1st last year
2. They have a HC and OC who are firm believers in throwing to score but running to win
3. Deep WR class
4. Harbaugh is crazy…lol

Maybe I’m more hoping…I just don’t feel like they go WR at 5
1. Fair - though I did consider this (new regime too - so how wedded are they to that WR ). and they did have a good OT 1st Rounder too still on Rookie deal
2. Fair
3. Fair - Though the other strength of the draft - OTs
4. This can cut any number of ways- ha

I would have OT and WR as needs/wants for them - But I think the WR on the board is going to be simply higher rated than the OT

I think if Minnesota trades up to #4 - Chargers could be looking at MHJ or Nabers on the board.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:20 am Harbaugh is crazy. I'm half surprised they didn't trade Herbert - the fit with him and Roman seems odd to me. Harbaugh is like Parcells/Darth Vader in that he wants "his guys", and it's his personnel moves that will ultimately do him in IMO. He likes his "try hard guys" who will run through a wall for him types. I could absolutely see him going T here. I could see him going WR and if he does I bet he'd favor Nabors. He's a tough guy to project.
I read "his guys" as the Michigan guys - but probably not what you meant?

I think what Harbaugh does there will be very interesting. He will have first hand knowledge about Michigan guys - and will be very familiar with Big Ten opponents too.

Does he also take into account that players in the past have had - diminishing marginal returns in terms of his Coaching "style" (read: Grating) - and does he pass on some of the Michigan kids because he has squeezed most of that juice out?

I also think back to Pete Carroll when he came back to NFL. IIRC those drafts were Pac-10 heavy as thats what he knew. And he also notably passed on Taylor Mays - his own USC kid because he knew his limitations
dplank
Hall of Famer

His guys in this context means over valuing “try hard” “Uber coachable” type players over elite athletes. There’s a line there that I think he takes too far.
wab
Mod

It would not even REMOTELY shock me if Harbaugh takes McCarthy at 9 and trades Herbert next offseason. Herbert has some crazy guarantees that kick in starting in 2025.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:17 pm His guys in this context means over valuing “try hard” “Uber coachable” type players over elite athletes. There’s a line there that I think he takes too far.
Do you have examples of this?

Michigan seemed to have a pretty good chunk of uber athletes
STLINI
Practice Squad

Mock draft put on out ESPN today that has the Bears getting MHJ at #9. I don't think he'll be there at #9, but for it to happen I think 3 things would have to occur:
McCarthy is drafted before #9
Nabors or Odunze are taken as the #1 WR
and 2 offensive lineman are taken before #9.

Then the other thing would be like others mentioned, somebody trading up to get him would obviously be a possibility.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/stor ... d-32-picks
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:00 am Mock draft put on out ESPN today that has the Bears getting MHJ at #9. I don't think he'll be there at #9, but for it to happen I think 3 things would have to occur:
McCarthy is drafted before #9
Nabors or Odunze are taken as the #1 WR
and 2 offensive lineman are taken before #9.

Then the other thing would be like others mentioned, somebody trading up to get him would obviously be a possibility.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/stor ... d-32-picks
I just don't see AZ taking a QB. I think it's more likely some team (Vikings???) move up to that spot to take one. I'd love that draft.