Bears sign DL Byron Cowart

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

6'4 298lb former fifth-round draft pick out of Maryland, has one career sack, and is now on his 6th team. Had one not-terrible year for the Pats as a DE.
Heinz D.
MVP

Okay...
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Requisite RAS card

xyt in the discord chats
malagabears
Journeyman

He missed 2021/23, so not expecting much.

wulfy
MVP

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

We gotta have someone to cut eventually
dplank
Hall of Famer

Terps
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Not exactly a brave signing.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:34 pm Not exactly a brave signing.
More like Danial Braverman I’d think.
Bearfacts
MVP

Poles has a 90 man roster to fill. He's gonna sign some guys to minimum deals in order to do that because he lacks later round picks. The guy has some previous starting experience but it's tough to see him as any more than a guy competing for roster spot. I expect Poles to pick up a few more players who are cut after the draft or post June 1st. It's just about depth and competition.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:23 am Poles has a 90 man roster to fill. He's gonna sign some guys to minimum deals in order to do that because he lacks later round picks. The guy has some previous starting experience but it's tough to see him as any more than a guy competing for roster spot. I expect Poles to pick up a few more players who are cut after the draft or post June 1st. It's just about depth and competition.
Yeah.
He does need a "this is a guy who we could keep on the roster, if we don't draft one" level DL guy, though, and I don't think this qualifies.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bearfacts
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:31 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:23 am Poles has a 90 man roster to fill. He's gonna sign some guys to minimum deals in order to do that because he lacks later round picks. The guy has some previous starting experience but it's tough to see him as any more than a guy competing for roster spot. I expect Poles to pick up a few more players who are cut after the draft or post June 1st. It's just about depth and competition.
Yeah.
He does need a "this is a guy who we could keep on the roster, if we don't draft one" level DL guy, though, and I don't think this qualifies.
There are some players ranked in round three that have shown some NFL type talent but will end up up more as role players somewhat like the kid they just signed Jake Martin and another we have on the PS. One guy I like who doesn't at all fit Flus typical type of DE is Mo Kamara (6'1"/250lbs). He played here in Ft Collins at CSU and the kid is like a Tasmanian Devil. He reminds me of a guy Denver had in the past, Elvis Dumervil. Dumervil was even shorter but the guy played for 11 seasons and had 105 career sacks and 190 QB hits.

There's another kid at Oregon whose a little bit bigger who might also fit a role like Walker has filled moving from DE to DT. As long as we have Walker I'd like to see them find a smaller, quicker, younger much cheaper version of Nagakoue. IMHO we don't need another guy the size of Sweat to play RDE. We've done OK with 250lb guy there and so have other teams. If another team trades up for a QB in the top 5 and MHJr slides down a bit there's a good chance one of the top 3 WR will still be on the board at #9. I'm not sure there's DE in this draft worth a top 10 pick.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:23 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:31 pm

Yeah.
There are some players ranked in round three that have shown some NFL type talent but will end up up more as role players somewhat like the kid they just signed Jake Martin and another we have on the PS. One guy I like who doesn't at all fit Flus typical type of DE is Mo Kamara (6'1"/250lbs). He played here in Ft Collins at CSU and the kid is like a Tasmanian Devil. He reminds me of a guy Denver had in the past, Elvis Dumervil. Dumervil was even shorter but the guy played for 11 seasons and had 105 career sacks and 190 QB hits.

There's another kid at Oregon whose a little bit bigger who might also fit a role like Walker has filled moving from DE to DT. As long as we have Walker I'd like to see them find a smaller, quicker, younger much cheaper version of Nagakoue. IMHO we don't need another guy the size of Sweat to play RDE. We've done OK with 250lb guy there and so have other teams. If another team trades up for a QB in the top 5 and MHJr slides down a bit there's a good chance one of the top 3 WR will still be on the board at #9. I'm not sure there's DE in this draft worth a top 10 pick.
Mostly I don't want to invest in DL until we know what we already have in Dexter & Pickens. And we have so few picks, anyway.
I'm good with a cheap vet or a late round body as the 4th guy for a year.
The only exceptions are I sim draft McKinnley or Sweat sometimes when I trade for extra picks.
(And I think they are targeting DE in R1, as I do, so that gets you better on the line, even if it isn't inside.)
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:09 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:23 pm

Mostly I don't want to invest in DL until we know what we already have in Dexter & Pickens. And we have so few picks, anyway.
I'm good with a cheap vet or a late round body as the 4th guy for a year.
The only exceptions are I sim draft McKinnley or Sweat sometimes when I trade for extra picks.
(And I think they are targeting DE in R1, as I do, so that gets you better on the line, even if it isn't inside.)
Pick good football players
Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:23 pm I'm not sure there's DE in this draft worth a top 10 pick.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
wab
Mod

Turner is definitely a top 10 pick. From a talent standpoint, Latu absolutely is. Just depends on how teams feel about his health.

The problem is that there are 4 QBs likely to go in the top 10, along with 3 WRs and 3 OTs. That's your top 10.
dplank
Hall of Famer

We were playing top 5 defense with Ngakoue, Walker, Greene across from Sweat. I’d bring Greene back and call it a day, we don’t need all pros at every position.

My mind is really shifting to offense now that CW is going to be our guy. Load up around him.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:34 am Turner is definitely a top 10 pick. From a talent standpoint, Latu absolutely is. Just depends on how teams feel about his health.
Turner is absolutely a top 10 pick, for a 3-4 team. Maybe the Bears think he can play DE, I dunno. I have doubts about it, but I've been wrong before.

I'd bet he's Atlanta's top preference at #8.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
RichH55
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:12 am
wab wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:34 am Turner is definitely a top 10 pick. From a talent standpoint, Latu absolutely is. Just depends on how teams feel about his health.
Turner is absolutely a top 10 pick, for a 3-4 team. Maybe the Bears think he can play DE, I dunno. I have doubts about it, but I've been wrong before.

This would surprise me -

Though it could be shades of Drake London value (not position) where Atlanta takes a guy Top 10 that you'd be happy with after a trade down and like pick 16, but in the Top Ten without trade down feels like bad value
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

RichH55 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:36 am
thunderspirit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:12 am

This would surprise me -

Though it could be shades of Drake London value (not position) where Atlanta takes a guy Top 10 that you'd be happy with after a trade down and like pick 16, but in the Top Ten without trade down feels like bad value
I think Turner is the top defensive player and worth a top 10 pick. If I had big board, I think he would be 8th (CW, Maye, Daniels, MHJ, Nabers, Odunza and Alt would be ahead of him - not necessarily in that order).
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:48 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:23 pm I'm not sure there's DE in this draft worth a top 10 pick.
Turner and Verse seem closest to what Flus looks for as far as physical traits. Teams are always looking for edge players so Turner may go top ten. I don't believe Verse will. This draft seems to lack a sure fire top five or top ten pass rusher. One kid I really like who might still be on the board in the 3rd round is Mo Kamara. He doesn't meet the size of the typical Flus type guy but the kid is a flat out baller with a non-stop motor who plays "nasty".

I believe Poles will look to draft a 3 down DE before the 3rd round but if he fails to get a guy he likes Kamara is a kid who could platoon with Walker at RDE. He reminds me of Elvis Dumervil a guy the Broncos drafted who most though was too small to play DE in the NFL but he led the NFL in sacks in 2009 playing DE at 5'11"/250lbs. He ended up playing OLB both in Denver and Baltimore but his first three or four years he played as a DE.