Bears/Texans to open preseason

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

UOK
Site Admin

This also means the Bears get four preseason games.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:46 am This also means the Bears get four preseason games.

Don't they get to start practice a week earlier than all the other teams?
grendel2000
Journeyman

If they DO get an earlier start and an extra game it;s kinda awesome and hard to not feel like the planets may finally be aligning in the Bears' favor. Perhaps the league is starting to stack the deck to encourage the success of CW and the Bears. It would make a great story and would be wonderful for the league if the Bears became a powerhouse over the next decade. Coincides perfectly with the new stadium too!
Hero
Player of the Month

grendel2000 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:29 am If they DO get an earlier start and an extra game it;s kinda awesome and hard to not feel like the planets may finally be aligning in the Bears' favor. Perhaps the league is starting to stack the deck to encourage the success of CW and the Bears. It would make a great story and would be wonderful for the league if the Bears became a powerhouse over the next decade. Coincides perfectly with the new stadium too!
It could also be due to the Bears having three going into the hall and the Texans have their first.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Hero wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:50 pm
grendel2000 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:29 am If they DO get an earlier start and an extra game it;s kinda awesome and hard to not feel like the planets may finally be aligning in the Bears' favor. Perhaps the league is starting to stack the deck to encourage the success of CW and the Bears. It would make a great story and would be wonderful for the league if the Bears became a powerhouse over the next decade. Coincides perfectly with the new stadium too!
It could also be due to the Bears having three going into the hall and the Texans have their first.
I agree. I think they try and have the teams that are playing have some sort of connection to those going in. The people that travel to see the induction would likely prefer to see the team of the inductees playing.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Now lets see Hard Knocks....
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:46 pm Now lets see Hard Knocks....
I hope not. If they do, I'll have to add another streaming service to my list. :frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

That's where my thoughts went, too.
Then while checking on it

viewtopic.php?t=18159
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Idk, part of me thinks it has run its course and the nfl should just drop it and part of me doesn’t want the bears near it as every team seems to be a disaster the season they are on it.
Heinz D.
MVP

My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears hoping to stay off ‘Hard Knocks’

The Bears are one of 10 teams never to appear on “Hard Knocks,” HBO’s documentary series. Chairman George McCaskey wants it to stay that way.

“We’re told there is some interest in other teams being on the program,” McCaskey said with a smile at the NFL's annual meetings Tuesday. “And we welcome that interest.”

McCaskey has long opposed the Bears being on the show. This year, the NFL can compel the Bears to participate.

McCaskey might not be in the clear yet. HBO will produce “Hard Knocks” during training camp, which will focus on one team. The league announced Tuesday that their in-season version of the show will focus on a division — not a team.

The chairman said president/CEO Kevin Warren was of a similar mind regarding “Hard Knocks,” though Warren said that his interest is “in making sure that the NFL stays strong and vibrant.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... ard-knocks
From the same article, there will also be a Christmas Day game...
There will be a Christmas Day game this year — amazingly, on a Wednesday. The league said the teams that play will be coming off a game the previous Saturday, making the turnaround akin to a “Thursday Night Football” contest.

“It’s a huge viewership opportunity for the league,” McCaskey said. “Some people who want quiet family celebrations may have an issue with it. I've got somebody in my house that has an issue with it.”
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Further to the above re. Christmas Day:
The league will hold two games on Christmas -- a Wednesday -- this season, Hans Schroeder, NFL executive vice president of media distribution, announced at the Annual League Meeting on Tuesday.

"From what we've seen the last couple years is really some unprecedent growth, and not just on Christmas, on Thanksgiving, too," Schroeder explained Tuesday. "The last couple of years have had the highest-regular season game ever viewed in the regular season. That mindset, that opportunity, that belief we have that football brings people together -- that's even truer on these big holidays that happen throughout the year.

"When we saw the viewership from this past year, really our fans spoke. We certainly saw and believe that they are very much enjoying and wanting NFL football on Christmas. So what we're going to do is we're going to play a couple of games, like we've typically played for well over a decade, probably more than that, on Saturday of Week 16, and then come back and play a couple of games on Christmas Day on Wednesday."

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said he didn't anticipate player health concerns being an issue with teams playing Christmas games on a short week.

"Well, I think the days are the same for us. We've done this," Goodell explained. "In fact, COVID was a learning opportunity, I think it was the first time we played on a Wednesday. It will not be a regular thing. It will be when Christmas falls on a Wednesday. But the time period between games has been done before. We have not seen any elevation of injuries. You all, and we, have had a major focus on Thursday night when we first put it in, and we've still not seen any kind of elevation of injuries. So I think we have this down."

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-to-play-tw ... 024-season
spudbear
MVP

I'm not liking a game on Christmas day, but I suppose if it's a night game then that would be a little better.
I don't like the game on Christmas as it does not allow families for the players on each team to be together. Then again, most games are on Sunday.

I really don't like a Wednesday game that late into the season. A team would play on Saturday (the 21st), turn around and play on the 25th, and then what? Play that Sunday, the 29th? Or on Monday night the 30th? 3 games in 9 days could put a big dent in teams gearing up for a playoff run, either injuries or just fatigue. I doubt the league would give byes that late into the season I suppose the teams that play on Christmas Wednesday would get a mini-bye by not playing on the 29th but waiting until Jan. 5th.

It's just a bad time to be messing around with team's schedule so late into the season. This is what happens when marketing has its way.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Marketing has its way too damn much in our world.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I'm not a fan of games on Christmas Day either. It's a time people should be with their families not spending 3 hours watching a game.

TMP on the other hand might see it as a reason to celebrate if it allows him to escape from his mother-on-law for a few hours! :D
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:22 pm I'm not a fan of games on Christmas Day either. It's a time people should be with their families not spending 3 hours watching a game.

TMP on the other hand might see it as a reason to celebrate if it allows him to escape from his mother-on-law for a few hours! :D
I was about to say the same thing. I will say if it's a night game, I might be in that boat as well. Not just my mother-in-law but the whole family. Love them all but we start about 8 am and by late afternoon I'm ready for a change.