Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Heinz D.
MVP

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:22 pm I was never hung up on the ownership deal.
Neither was I. I guarantee everyone here that the partial ownership thing didn't come directly from Caleb himself. He knows enough about the NFL to recognize that's just not a deal that a rookie can make. Hell, it may not even possible for a vet to get that kind of compensation--I have no clue.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Bearfacts
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:54 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:22 pm I was never hung up on the ownership deal.
Neither was I. I guarantee everyone here that the partial ownership thing didn't come directly from Caleb himself. He knows enough about the NFL to recognize that's just not a deal that a rookie can make. Hell, it may not even possible for a vet to get that kind of compensation--I have no clue.
I don't believe the NFL allows ownership by a player while he's still active but I do know Pat Bowlen offered John Elway a 20% buy in for 20% of the Broncos ownership for around $35- $36 mil when he retired after the 1998 season. What he turned down what would have eventually been worth $700 mil most recently.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:14 am
Grizzled wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:32 am Misc Caleb stuff:

In 2 years at USC, the team never lost when it held opposing teams to less than 33 points; they were 19-0. The 2 year record was 24-10
6 games in which he threw 5 or more TD passes and 2 games in which he had 5 TDs total
2 games in which he didn't throw a TD but scored a rushing TD in each
178 passes in the red zone with 1 INT
Punted twice in 2022 games, averaged 42 yards per, ranking 75th in college football (Elway punted a fair amount for the Broncos and averaged 36.1 yards; Danny White punted for the Cowboys while their QB and averaged 40.2 yards)
What did Randall Cunningham average?
I'm sure you can look it up? Why?
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
G08
Hall of Famer

Some interesting nuggets about Caleb Williams and how they had to overhaul his Pro Day script 20 minutes before his session started since a WR pulled a hammy.

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:39 pm
RichH55 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:14 am

What did Randall Cunningham average?
I'm sure you can look it up? Why?
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/punt-a ... l-cunningh

https://www.sportscasting.com/one-of-th ... arterback/
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears continue moving toward drafting USC quarterback Caleb Williams

The Bears sent a throng of coaches and front office members to Los Angeles last week for Williams’ pro day. They went to dinner at a private club with the quarterback and some of his receivers March 18 — “He never touched his phone,” Poles said with awe — and spent time with him in USC’s football offices the next day.

“When you talk to [Williams’] teammates, they don't like him — they love him,” Poles said. “His leadership, how he brings people together. He's intentional with his leadership.

“Same goes with the [USC] staff. I'm having a hard time finding a person that doesn't like him — or even love him — and thinks that he can reach the highest limits.”

That seemingly includes the GM himself.

Communicating with Williams this offseason is made more complicated by the fact he doesn’t have an agent. His father Carl has been instrumental behind the scenes — enough to make some around the league nervous — but Poles and Carl Williams didn’t meet for the first time until last week's pro day.

“He’s a guy that really cares about his son,” Poles said. “He wants his son to be in a situation where he can be successful. You can just tell there’s a good support structure there.”

Caleb Williams is the first Name, Image and Likeness star to emerge from the college game. Poles said he’s been able to gain insight about Williams' personality from how he handles business.

“It gives them more responsibility,” he said. “It forces them to prioritize – money, business, football, school.”

The Bears expect Williams to take an official visit to Halas Hall next week, where they’ll conduct medical evaluations after he became the first player to skip them at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... al-meeting
STLINI
Practice Squad

My favorite thing about taking Caleb this year may not be that I think he's the best QB in the last few drafts, it's that next year we won't have to even discuss the possibility of taking Shedeur Sanders. That dude is just too much for me. He was doing an interview yesterday talking about how much adversity he's had to overcome and how all these other Texas kids went to bigger high schools.

Deion also came out and said that they will be picking what team Shedeur goes to next year, not the other way around. And that they want a warm weather city. Glad we won't be a part of that circus.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/350 ... oved-wrong
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am My favorite thing about taking Caleb this year may not be that I think he's the best QB in the last few drafts, it's that next year we won't have to even discuss the possibility of taking Shedeur Sanders. That dude is just too much for me. He was doing an interview yesterday talking about how much adversity he's had to overcome and how all these other Texas kids went to bigger high schools.

Deion also came out and said that they will be picking what team Shedeur goes to next year, not the other way around. And that they want a warm weather city. Glad we won't be a part of that circus.

Adversity that he's had to overcome?? Yeah, cause his dad is a multi-millionaire NFL celebrity/royalty. I'm sure that's the same as some of the inner-city kids in gang riddled hoods. Not a good take Shedeur.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am My favorite thing about taking Caleb this year may not be that I think he's the best QB in the last few drafts, it's that next year we won't have to even discuss the possibility of taking Shedeur Sanders. That dude is just too much for me. He was doing an interview yesterday talking about how much adversity he's had to overcome and how all these other Texas kids went to bigger high schools.

The most infuriating thing about deions shortlist is Washington is on it. Seriously WTF that is a garbage ass franchise.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

But isn't Magic Johnson involved in that franchise? If so, I can see that being Sanders' angle.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

All QBs taken #1 since 1970 and how they fared in their careers. It should be noted that this might be the first time a QB will go to a team which is definitely not bottom of the barrel with major holes on both sides of the ball:

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/ch ... r=sailthru
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
STLINI
Practice Squad

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 am

The most infuriating thing about deions shortlist is Washington is on it. Seriously WTF that is a garbage ass franchise.
You're right. Here's the full list that Deion mentioned:
Deion then listed the NFL cities where they will play — Atlanta, Washington, Dallas, Baltimore, and San Francisco.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:36 am
Deion then listed the NFL cities where they will play — Atlanta, Washington, Dallas, Baltimore, and San Francisco.
Didn't Deion play in 4 of those?
STLINI
Practice Squad

RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:40 am

All 5 of them.
wab
Mod

He went to Trinity Christian in Cedar Hill because his dad was a coach there. They are also like 12 time state champions or some shit.

It wasn't because he was stuck in some unfortunate situation.

I'm glad the Bears don't have to deal with *that* circus.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Exactly how are they going to decide that?
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Let's see.

Atlanta - they might address the QB spot in the draft this year, so they could be out of the running.
Washington - IS addressing the QB spot at #2, so I don't see them doubling down next year.
Dallas - slim chance. The front office freaking LOVE Dax, he isn't going anywhere.
Baltimore - "Sorry Lamar, we know we just PAID you, but we're going to eat of bunch of it and move on." Or "Yeah we know we are built to win right now but rather than use draft capital to make us better, we will draft Sanders and have him not help out for 3 years like Rodgers and Love did." I think not.
49ers - Don't see them making a change at QB either.

So maybe the Falcons would be in a spot to take him, but as for the rest I seriously doubt it.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:09 pm

Maybe he will be an undrafted free agent.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:02 am
RichH55 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:40 am

All 5 of them.
God i honestly forgot that he was in Washington for a year. That honestly makes the list even more deranged.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:38 pm
STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:02 am

All 5 of them.
God i honestly forgot that he was in Washington for a year. That honestly makes the list even more deranged.
Heck, even when he said all 5, I didn't remember it and had to look it up. :frustrated:
STLINI
Practice Squad

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:09 pm

I guess they could just say that he won't sign and would sit out a year. I mean it's not like the family needs the money. Like Arkansasbear pointed out, the teams Deion listed likely won't be in the QB market anyway next year.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Maybe Deion thinks he is going to get the coaching gig wherever his kid goes.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:50 pm Maybe Deion thinks he is going to get the coaching gig wherever his kid goes.
Well let’s hope so :lol:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

otis
Pro Bowler

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:57 am
dplank wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:55 am Rick Mirer worse than both IMO
The race towards worst Bears trade ever is really a star studded cast.
lets not forget, we traded number 11 for mirer. tony gonzales went at 13. just a little salt in your eye. but we did pick up a tight end in the second, john allred. he was good... :frustrated:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears coach Matt Eberflus praises USC’s Caleb Williams after extensive meetings last week

Coach Matt Eberflus and Poles were among nine Bears officials at Williams’ pro day last week in Los Angeles. For 80 minutes or so March 19, Eberflus sat alone with Williams inside USC’s football offices.

‘‘Just really hearing his journey, his journey from being a little guy,’’ Eberflus said. ‘‘What I gleaned from that is how his mother and father love him very much. Very supportive. You could see his character, his football character there, his football knowledge as I talk through that. It was a really good visit.’’

It might be the basis for a long-term relationship. The Bears were as impressed by Williams’ throwing session as they were by their conversations with him on campus and over dinner.

‘‘The biggest takeaway is that you can see the arm talent on the film and you can see it there in person,’’ Eberflus said. ‘‘What I loved to see was the interaction with the other players. You can see that, and we talked to every person that was on that team [at the Senior Bowl and pro day]. . . . We talked to those guys at the dinner, and you can certainly see those players love him and respect him and what he’s brought to that program.’’

Eberflus spoke glowingly about Williams in his first public comments since meeting him at the NFL Scouting Combine. The Bears brought their brain trust, including McCaskey and president/CEO Kevin Warren, to the 18-minute meeting in Indianapolis.

‘‘The thing that is most important for me on any of our players, but especially on potentially top draft picks, is: ‘Do you love football? And where’s your heart? Are you passionate? Do you want to be a champion? Are you willing to do things the right way?’ ’’ Warren said.

McCaskey asked few questions during the meeting.

‘‘It was at 10:40 at night, and he was remarkably gregarious, engaged and friendly,’’ McCaskey said. ‘‘When they got down to football, he was right in it.’’

McCaskey will be part of Williams’ visit next week to Halas Hall, but he said his role will be determined by Poles.

Full article: https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... al-meeting
Hopefully Poles will tell McCaskey his role is to greet Williams, talk a little about the history of the team and then hand over to Poles saying "but this is all about the future and this is the man to tell you all about that".

Or Poles just tells George to stand in a corner and say absolutely nothing.
Bearfacts
MVP

Maybe we should also thank Poles and acknowledge his forward thinking as far as taking advantage of the deal he made last year that put him in the situation he's in now where he can draft a QB of his choosing in a draft where the talent is there. If CW does somehow end up being all he's been hyped to be that trade last year will be historic in terms of what it bought us long term.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:13 pm
STLINI wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:36 am You're right. Here's the full list that Deion mentioned:
Let's see.

Atlanta - they might address the QB spot in the draft this year, so they could be out of the running.
Washington - IS addressing the QB spot at #2, so I don't see them doubling down next year.
Dallas - slim chance. The front office freaking LOVE Dax, he isn't going anywhere.
Baltimore - "Sorry Lamar, we know we just PAID you, but we're going to eat of bunch of it and move on." Or "Yeah we know we are built to win right now but rather than use draft capital to make us better, we will draft Sanders and have him not help out for 3 years like Rodgers and Love did." I think not.

So maybe the Falcons would be in a spot to take him, but as for the rest I seriously doubt it.
Don't dismiss Dallas...
Cowboys QB Dak Prescott expected to play on current contract for 2024 season

The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are prepared to play out the final year of the quarterback's contract...

https://www.nfl.com/news/cowboys-qb-dak ... 024-season
RichH55
Hall of Famer

DaK under the radar loves some drama
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:49 am DaK under the radar loves some drama
It's like a weird chicken and egg thing. Does drama follow him, or is it impossible to be normal in the cowboys organization?
spudbear
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:46 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:13 pm

Let's see.

Don't dismiss Dallas...
Cowboys QB Dak Prescott expected to play on current contract for 2024 season

The Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are prepared to play out the final year of the quarterback's contract...

https://www.nfl.com/news/cowboys-qb-dak ... 024-season
Watched the NFL Today last night and the Dak situation came up. Apparently he has been tagged twice already, so if they tag him again it would be around $80M to keep him for 2025. The talking heads seemed to think that the only way Dak stays is if he's hoisting the Lombardi trophy in February. Doubt that happens, as Jerry Jones seems to be preparing the team for rebuild. Would Shadeur be part of that build? Dallas would be a different place without Dak and the Fat Leprechaun, also in the last year of his contract.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas