The Hunting & Fishing Thread

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Deer season opens tomorrow and I was lucky enough to draw a buck tag. If I fill the tag I'll take the critter to my partner's place where 4 of us keep our refrigerated meat truck. It's a great way to cool out and take good care of the meat and let it age for a few days before we cut and wrap and freeze it. Works great for elk hunts, too.

All of us grew up with deer and elk hunting and our families eating the meat. My buddy's are the best (amateur) butchers around here and we have other friends whom we let use our reefer truck and they chip in on the fuel and maintenance costs.

And I certainly agree that the only justifiable reason to hunt an animal is if you're going to eat the meat. Otherwise just take a photo which can be a worthy memento and you have the good feeling of knowing that the animal was still alive when you left it.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:23 pm Deer season opens tomorrow and I was lucky enough to draw a buck tag. If I fill the tag I'll take the critter to my partner's place where 4 of us keep our refrigerated meat truck. It's a great way to cool out and take good care of the meat and let it age for a few days before we cut and wrap and freeze it. Works great for elk hunts, too.

All of us grew up with deer and elk hunting and our families eating the meat. My buddy's are the best (amateur) butchers around here and we have other friends whom we let use our reefer truck and they chip in on the fuel and maintenance costs.

And I certainly agree that the only justifiable reason to hunt an animal is if you're going to eat the meat. Otherwise just take a photo which can be a worthy memento and you have the good feeling of knowing that the animal was still alive when you left it.
That's how I see it too. We do the same thing with fishing.

If someone is going to kill an animal that's fine, but eat it.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Tried out the new shotgun this am, me and the boy went out and had a mildly successful morning duck hunt. He’s 14 and just getting into it. In total we got nine ducks, mixed bad of teal and gadwalls. Migrators aren’t down yet but today was the first freeze of the year as it was 28 when we left the house.

I like the new gun a lot. Best part, while I am cleaning up guns and putting dogs away the boy was cleaning ducks. Looks like kabobs on Sunday evening.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Caught Covid on Wednesday, so of course I spent Thursday through Saturday in bed, finally had to escape so I took some rifles out to shoot at a friends farm, make sure everything is zero’d for deer hunting the next 3 weekends.

Here was the lineup:

Model 54 Winchester - 270 Winchester. Manufactured in 1929 - my Great Grandfathers gun. I restocked it with a chunk of black walnut off the farm where my dad was born. 4.5 x 14 - 50 Burris on it. Zero’d it up at 100 then practiced at 200, 300 and rang the gong a few times at 450 yards. 93 years old and still driving tacks.

Ruger M77 tang safety 257 Ackley Improved -Same Burris as the 270 for a scope. I didn’t have to move the scope at all, all dialed in out to 350.

Just for fun Remington 700 SPS Bull Barrel 22-250 6 - 20x50 Burris. I could shoot flies on the paper at 100yds if I wanted too. 55 gr HP for coyote and prairie dog control.

My Dad is 84, and I believe this will be his last hunting season with us seeing his decline the last 6 months. He is excited to go out and sit in the blind with us, which is heated. The fun part is he is the only one in the family with a buck tag. Me, my boy and nephew all have doe tags. So we get to hunt for him, as we can harvest our does in an afternoon when we want too where we hunt. He gave me that 270 when I graduated from college, my son will get it at the same time, but it’s going back in his hands for one last buck hunt next weekend. Hopefully it’s a lucky weekend.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I had some visitors on my deck last week.

The area where I live always has a lot of deer. It always brings in the predators, too. First time I've ever has mountain lions. These two looked to be about 30-40 lbs and they were in prime shape, not starving or anything. I figure their mom dropped them off near my place while she hunted. They hung around for about an hour and then beat feet - I think mom called them. Massive thrill for me - the last cougar I saw was way back in '62 - a big adult crossed the road in front of our school bus.

The wolves and bears have also been increasing over the past few years. Still haven't seen a wolf from my home, but my neighbor saw a lone wolf on the ridge above my place last year. Had a Bear snoozing in a tree right over my mail box (not the one in my avatar) a few years ago.

It's interesting that this resurgence of apex killers seems to have coincided with an increase in really big bucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:37 am I had some visitors on my deck last week.

The area where I live always has a lot of deer. It always brings in the predators, too. First time I've ever has mountain lions. These two looked to be about 30-40 lbs and they were in prime shape, not starving or anything. I figure their mom dropped them off near my place while she hunted. They hung around for about an hour and then beat feet - I think mom called them. Massive thrill for me - the last cougar I saw was way back in '62 - a big adult crossed the road in front of our school bus.

The wolves and bears have also been increasing over the past few years. Still haven't seen a wolf from my home, but my neighbor saw a lone wolf on the ridge above my place last year. Had a Bear snoozing in a tree right over my mail box (not the one in my avatar) a few years ago.

It's interesting that this resurgence of apex killers seems to have coincided with an increase in really big bucks.
257 ackley improved. I got a 257 Robert's. Grandpas gun he sportized a 1919 mauser. Shoots great but I dont reload. Im thinking of rebarreling and making it a 270.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:44 pm

257 ackley improved. I got a 257 Robert's. Grandpas gun he sportized a 1919 mauser. Shoots great but I dont reload. Im thinking of rebarreling and making it a 270.
Would be easier to rechamber to a 25-06 and cheaper.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

That is so awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Two weeks ago my kid and I went fishing and on the way to our spot a pack of coyotes started howling as the sun came up. Didn't sound more than 50 yards from us.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:08 am

That is so awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Two weeks ago my kid and I went fishing and on the way to our spot a pack of coyotes started howling as the sun came up. Didn't sound more than 50 yards from us.
They always sound so close. We can hear them most nights in the summer. In the winter, when I spend quite a few evenings in my ice shack you hear them. They sound like they are right outside. Sometimes eerie.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:03 pm
mmmc_35 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:44 pm

I thought about that but will 25-0_ be around in 20+ years. Super good cartridge. 270 is much more common. I wanted the army to go to one of those 25 caliber rounds to replace the 223. I dont know maybe I'll do the 25-06. I've been thinking about this for a few years.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

mmmc_35 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:48 pm
southdakbearfan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:03 pm

I thought about that but will 25-0_ be around in 20+ years. Super good cartridge. 270 is much more common. I wanted the army to go to one of those 25 caliber rounds to replace the 223. I dont know maybe I'll do the 25-06. I've been thinking about this for a few years.
Love the 25 cals. I have my eye out for a Ruger #1 in 257 weatherby.

25-06 will be around forever. It’s too simple and too good of round not to and there are too many rifles already made and still made in it every year.

Now 6.5 creedmoor, I could see that falling by the wayside for the PRC rounds. The WSM’s only have the 270 and 300 left, the wssm’s, rem SAUM and Ultra mags are all dead rounds.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Why shoot a 25-06 when the 270 will do everything it will do only better? They're both a necked-down 30-06. If you're in a real out of the way place and your ammo gets lost - or you didn't bring enough with you - the local mom and pop general store will have some 270 or '06 ammo, most likely.

My buddy's 270 Weatherby does not perform like my '06 on elk. He's got a slightly flatter trajectory but my bigger hole and heavier bullet are more deadly at every distance and they buck the wind better. His Speer Grand Slam 270 150Gr bullets don't hold together as well as my pedestrian Remington factory '06 cartridges with 180 gr bullets and his trajectory advantage at longer ranges does not have the same killing power.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

pus wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:08 pm Why shoot a 25-06 when the 270 will do everything it will do only better? They're both a necked-down 30-06.
When you already have the gun with the proper cal barrel, a simple rechamber is a lot cheaper than a barrel or gun replacement.

And I could argue caliber specifics, like recoil, ability to drop down to varmint bullet weights, etc. but why have a 270 or 30-06 when a 340 weatherby is deadlier? Or a 45-70 sharps?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I think it's (generally) true that the best shooters - we're talking about hunting, not benchrest - are people who shoot only one rifle as well as only one load.

That said, I have two Remington 700 30-06's. One is scoped and the other has a peep sight. If it's raining cats and dogs I like to have the option of a peep instead of a scope so that is an exception to my "one rifle" policy.

I think an '06 is an excellent compromise on the weight of the rifle, the trajectory, the recoil, the killing power and availability and cost of ammo. I don't use anything other than 180gr Spitzer-type bullets and I only hunt deer, elk, and antelope.

Never fired a 45-70 but I'm sure the 340 Wthrby has more kick than my puny (old) body can handle. I used to hunt elk with a 338 but that's more weight than I want to pack since I've gotten older and it does have more kick than my 30-06's. I only hunt what I can eat these days so the varmint cals aren't useful for me.

You're obviously a reloader and I haven't gone too deeply into that worthy hobby, so I do stay with factory rounds, but I get quarter sized 3-shot groups at 100 yards from both of my Model 700's, and the 180Gr bullets work just fine as long as I do my part as the shooter...

There's certainly more than one way to get the job done so to each his own.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I’ve fired a 340, 338 ultra, 375 H&H and a 416 rigby . Personally they all suck to shoot more than a couple times. My 300 win mag barks enough for me to only carry it for elk, even though it’s a tack driver. I was being sarcastic about calibers. There’s nothing that can’t be done in North America by a 30-06.

As far as calibers go, I got quite a few, load for all. There are lots of do all calibers that are absolutely fine, and there are lots of niche calibers that are as well. 2 - 22’s, 222, 223, 22-250, 257 ackley, 270, 300 win mag, 303 British. Then toss on 6 12 gauges, 3 20 gauges and 2 Muzzleloaders. Most are older, inherited guns that get shot maybe once a year or not at all. Zero semi autos, zero pistols.

My favorite is probably my old 270, but I have taken a ton of game and my farthest shot on big game with my 257 ackley. 560 yards on an antelope, in absolutely perfect conditions.

And you are close, the best shots know their rifles and loads, but the best shots shot a lot, a lot of different guns, and shoot them all well.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well, my son and me filled our rifle tags for the year, but we are now onto muzzleloading season here which is a low success rate but fun and interesting hunt.

Two deer self processed and in the freezer, time to start making jerky and sticks after muzzleloader season. We will also can about 1/3 of it as well which turns out real good for us.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I took a good sized doe during rifle season. I saw more this year then the last 4 combined. Its wierd most people I know saw very few. Only saw one buck a six pointer.

As for the caliber talk above. I have a few rifles. This year I used my rem model 70. Beautiful rifle made in 1949. Still shoots were its aimed. The 30-06 can do almost anything you want it to. I shoot 150 grain and only white tail hunt. Looking at the charts and options you can do almost anything you want with it.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

One jumbo goldfish out of Lake Ontario:

We joke about alligators being flushed and growing to monster sizes in the sewers (which has never happened). But pet goldfish released do get to jumbo sizes. Many years ago, I worked for the city of Skokie over the summer while in college. One job was removing weeds along the infamous "Sewage Canal". This was dug by the city for industries and municipalities to dump industrial and sewage effluent in rather than in the Chicago River. It was so nasty that they had a special treatment at local ERs in case someone fell in. There were some monster mutant goldfish swimming around in it, the size of small atomic submarines.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Well ice fishing has ended a little early due to the unseasonably warm winter here. Waiting for some snow geese to come back through but that will be at least a month. This winter is a 180 from last year, no snow and only a month of cold.

I did win a Kimber Custom LW 45 ACP and Henry golden boy 22 at a fundraiser banquet last night. Will pick up tomorrow after the background check goes through. So that was cool.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:11 am Well ice fishing has ended a little early due to the unseasonably warm winter here. Waiting for some snow geese to come back through but that will be at least a month. This winter is a 180 from last year, no snow and only a month of cold.

I did win a Kimber Custom LW 45 ACP and Henry golden boy 22 at a fundraiser banquet last night. Will pick up tomorrow after the background check goes through. So that was cool.
Lucky man!!! Nice win.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Out "hunting" for sheds last weekend with the family. It was in the 40s and to my surprise, ticks were out in full force. We have pulled 5 from the dog as the week has went on. My granddaughter had one on her as did the grandson. Ticks in February, WTF?
Burl
Crafty Veteran

We got a break in the schedule and some decent weather today. I was trying to talk my older son into getting after some walleye, but he said he wanted to finally catch a musky so I acquiesced. 

Good thing I did because about 15 minutes in, he lays into one. My net is a little small for this business. 

His first ever, ended up being 37". He was pretty fired up and spent the next couple hours trying to get one on the fly rod. 

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:38 pm We got a break in the schedule and some decent weather today. I was trying to talk my older son into getting after some walleye, but he said he wanted to finally catch a musky so I acquiesced. 

Good thing I did because about 15 minutes in, he lays into one. My net is a little small for this business. 

His first ever, ended up being 37". He was pretty fired up and spent the next couple hours trying to get one on the fly rod. 

That’s some nice work.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:00 pm Out "hunting" for sheds last weekend with the family. It was in the 40s and to my surprise, ticks were out in full force. We have pulled 5 from the dog as the week has went on. My granddaughter had one on her as did the grandson. Ticks in February, WTF?
When I was a kid we only had ticks in the spring and early summer. Now we have them every month of the year. Dry side of OR.

Semi-retireed in Montana in 2008-09 spent a day irrigating with my Brittany and he had over 100 ticks on him, picked them off that night and next morning.

I use a tick preventative on my dogs that keeps them from digging in right away (mostly).

Buck hunting I sat on my ass leaning back against a tree for 15 minutes and had 5 ticks stuck in me when I got hime - so I don't hunt with my ass on the ground anymore. They need a tick preventative for humans I guess - next big thing on the hunting shows..
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:07 pm
Burl wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:38 pm We got a break in the schedule and some decent weather today. I was trying to talk my older son into getting after some walleye, but he said he wanted to finally catch a musky so I acquiesced. 

That’s some nice work.
You can say that again.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Oh hell yea. Great pics, thanks for sharing.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

In a normal winter I probably go ice fishing 25-35 times. I live a mile from the lake and keep my 4 wheeler on the trailer ready to go with the flip over clam. I call it stress relief.

This winter I went twice, warm weather just wrecked the ice, but after last winter I will take it. Watched a pickup go for a swim about 500’ from me my second time out (they drove over a heave).

Me and my son have been getting ready for the spring snow goose migration, loading shells and cleaning guns. And also getting ready for summer fishing by cleaning and greasing reels, new line as needed and tiring up spinner rigs.

In between trips to the batting cage for baseball prep for him and working on the honey do list for mamma.

And, my oldest, that is an RN and her husband is an electrician, is making me a grandpa this summer at 47, but that’s what happens when you have kids at 23.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Itching to get on open water, but winter reared its head again the past 4 days.

Oh well, one more weekend of chasing snow geese it is I guess.