The 2024 Draft

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:18 am I don't like Legette at all. For starters he only had like 400 total yards in college before going off as a senior. He has great vertical speed, but he seems super tight otherwise. He reminds me of Treylon Burks/Laviska Shenault. Both are big and fast, but have struggled quite a bit against NFL corners.
Burks is a super kid. Pretty upset that I pegged him and doing nothing in the NFL. Really wanted him to do well.
dave99
Assistant Coach

I think it's a bit early to give up on Tyler Scott. He had a lousy rookie year, but he came into the league as a guy that needed polish. He can still conceivably give the Bears a legit speed option.
Given the depth of this class it is likely that will draft a WR, but probably not until later day 2 or even day 3.
I think number 9 goes to their highest graded DL, possibly with a short trade down to pick up an extra 3 or 4.
If they don't get an edge in the first round, my dark horse day 2 guy is Austin Booker:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/austin-bo ... f16bc56e46
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dave99 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:38 pm I think it's a bit early to give up on Tyler Scott. He had a lousy rookie year, but he came into the league as a guy that needed polish. He can still conceivably give the Bears a legit speed option.
Given the depth of this class it is likely that will draft a WR, but probably not until later day 2 or even day 3.
I think number 9 goes to their highest graded DL, possibly with a short trade down to pick up an extra 3 or 4.
If they don't get an edge in the first round, my dark horse day 2 guy is Austin Booker:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/austin-bo ... f16bc56e46
With the addition of Allen, I think the only way we address WR at #9 is if somehow MHJ slips to 9. Don't see that happening.

Assuming that doesn't happen, I don't see a big gap between a lot of guys who will be there. I'd like to trade bad to the early teens and get some extra picks. Latu or Verse is who I'd like to see us take.

Outside of MHJ, Turner is the only other guy I think I might not pass on. It would depend on the offer.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

If Poles does trade down I wonder if he might use an extra pick on one of Williams' USC teammates at WR to give him someone he's familiar with. Brendan Rice is the obvious candidate. He's been projected as a R2 or R3 pick with potential. With Moore and Allen on the roster he seems the type of guy the team can take a bit of time developing in a WR3 or WR4 role.
Heinz D.
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:14 pm Outside of MHJ, Turner is the only other guy I think I might not pass on. It would depend on the offer.
I give you a TLDR version of the article I linked the other day. Poles and Eberflus were watching the combine, and Poles was caught on a hot mic saying, "If he's there, I'm taking him."

They were watching the DEs. A bunch of fans Scooby-Dooed that shit, and decided it most likely happened when Turner was out there. So, Poles might even take Turner OVER MHJ...
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm If Poles does trade down I wonder if he might use an extra pick on one of Williams' USC teammates at WR to give him someone he's familiar with. Brendan Rice is the obvious candidate. He's been projected as a R2 or R3 pick with potential. With Moore and Allen on the roster he seems the type of guy the team can take a bit of time developing in a WR3 or WR4 role.
Rice might even last past the third round, actually. Either way, he'd be a perfect pick to help Caleb make the transition to the league.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:37 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:14 pm Outside of MHJ, Turner is the only other guy I think I might not pass on. It would depend on the offer.
I give you a TLDR version of the article I linked the other day. Poles and Eberflus were watching the combine, and Poles was caught on a hot mic saying, "If he's there, I'm taking him."

They were watching the DEs. A bunch of fans Scooby-Dooed that shit, and decided it most likely happened when Turner was out there. So, Poles might even take Turner OVER MHJ...
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm If Poles does trade down I wonder if he might use an extra pick on one of Williams' USC teammates at WR to give him someone he's familiar with. Brendan Rice is the obvious candidate. He's been projected as a R2 or R3 pick with potential. With Moore and Allen on the roster he seems the type of guy the team can take a bit of time developing in a WR3 or WR4 role.
Rice might even last past the third round, actually. Either way, he'd be a perfect pick to help Caleb make the transition to the league.
Was it Angelo that seemed to always have drafts that he took multiple people from the same school almost every time?

Maybe we can put a spin on that and couple that with a "blood-line" draft - rather than "scouting by helmets" we use "scouting by parents" and completely revamp our WR room. We take CW at 1, MHJ slides to #9 and we take him. In the third we take Rice and in the 4th we take MaCaffery. That way we get two guys from USC and we link the other two WRs because like Rice they both had dads that played WR in the NFL at a high level.
Heinz D.
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:52 am Maybe we can put a spin on that and couple that with a "blood-line" draft - rather than "scouting by helmets" we use "scouting by parents" and completely revamp our WR room. We take CW at 1, MHJ slides to #9 and we take him. In the third we take Rice and in the 4th we take MaCaffery. That way we get two guys from USC and we link the other two WRs because like Rice they both had dads that played WR in the NFL at a high level.
IotaNet
MVP

Heinz D. wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:37 pm... A bunch of fans Scooby-Dooed that shit ...
As an early 70's kid, that is VERY funny to me! :D

Here you go ...

“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Heinz D.
MVP

IotaNet wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:45 pmAs an early 70's kid, that is VERY funny to me! :D
Also an old dude--and loved that show. Both my daughters grew up big Scooby fans, as well! Zoiks!
wab
Mod

And then Flus said something like "take two of him".
G08
Hall of Famer

Yep, they decided it was Turner but I think it could have been Jared Verse as well.

H/W/S he's a carbon copy of Will Anderson, Jr (although I'd argue Verse is stronger while Anderson is a bit more bendy)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:49 pm
IotaNet wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:45 pmAs an early 70's kid, that is VERY funny to me! :D
Also an old dude--and loved that show. Both my daughters grew up big Scooby fans, as well! Zoiks!
LOVED Scooby-Doo as a kid. Wake up early on Saturdays and watch cartoons. I'd also get up early during the week and watch the Little Rascals. It was the first show to come on during the week (PSA - for our younger viewers networks didn't always run 24-hours per day. At some point they would just broadcast a symbol with an Indian head).

As much as I loved Scooby-Doo, the same couldn't be said for Scrappy or Scooby-Dum

IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:51 pm

And then Flus said something like "take two of him".
This is the video ...

“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
malagabears
Journeyman

I see a good possibility of Poles sticking to the 4 pick draft this year and stacking the offense (WR at 9) for 2 primary reasons:

1. Give Williams as many weapons as possible.
2. In case Allen bolts which is a possibility, however premature it may be right now.
UOK
Site Admin

malagabears wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am I see a good possibility of Poles sticking to the 4 pick draft this year and stacking the offense (WR at 9) for 2 primary reasons:

2. In case Allen bolts which is a possibility, however premature it may be right now.
Plus the depth after Allen is pretty mediocre-to-poor.
dplank
Hall of Famer

If any of the 3 WRs are there he should go that route IMO. If not then he should target DE, and I wouldn’t get cute I’d just take the top one on his board at 9. That player will rotate heavily as a rookie and allow Walker to move inside on pass rush downs. It completes our DL and has our bookend DEs locked in for 4 seasons.
Heinz D.
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pm LOVED Scooby-Doo as a kid. Wake up early on Saturdays and watch cartoons. I'd also get up early during the week and watch the Little Rascals. It was the first show to come on during the week (PSA - for our younger viewers networks didn't always run 24-hours per day. At some point they would just broadcast a symbol with an Indian head).
I just want to be clear--I didn't make up the phrase from the other post. :)

Saturday morning cartoons were such a big deal. I'd have sleepovers for my friends on the night before season premiere Saturday! (Another thing that's a foreign concept to all you youngsters out there!)
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pmAs much as I loved Scooby-Doo, the same couldn't be said for Scrappy or Scooby-Dum.
Both characters are abominations, and shouldn't be considered real parts of the Scooby-verse! Have you seen the first James Gunn Scooby movie, though? There's some really hilarious stuff involving Scrappy...
malagabears
Journeyman

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pm LOVED Scooby-Doo as a kid. Wake up early on Saturdays and watch cartoons. I'd also get up early during the week and watch the Little Rascals. It was the first show to come on during the week (PSA - for our younger viewers networks didn't always run 24-hours per day. At some point they would just broadcast a symbol with an Indian head).
I just want to be clear--I didn't make up the phrase from the other post. :)

Saturday morning cartoons were such a big deal. I'd have sleepovers for my friends on the night before season premiere Saturday! (Another thing that's a foreign concept to all you youngsters out there!)
Arkansasbear wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:16 pmAs much as I loved Scooby-Doo, the same couldn't be said for Scrappy or Scooby-Dum.
Both characters are abominations, and shouldn't be considered real parts of the Scooby-verse! Have you seen the first James Gunn Scooby movie, though? There's some really hilarious stuff involving Scrappy...
Who can forget the all famous "Scooby Snack"? ;)
Heinz D.
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 pm Yep, they decided it was Turner but I think it could have been Jared Verse as well.

H/W/S he's a carbon copy of Will Anderson, Jr (although I'd argue Verse is stronger while Anderson is a bit more bendy)
Yeah, that's a possibility. I'd actually prefer Verse...but would be happy with either.
malagabears wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am I see a good possibility of Poles sticking to the 4 pick draft this year and stacking the offense (WR at 9) for 2 primary reasons:

You don't trade for a guy just to let him walk. Poles will give Allen a new deal. And believe it or not, there will be WRs available later in the draft! ;)
UOK wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am Plus the depth after Allen is pretty mediocre-to-poor.
Yeah, 'cause Tyler Scott is a total bust. I bet Poles cuts him, for sure. :bored:
UOK
Site Admin

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am Yeah, 'cause Tyler Scott is a total bust. I bet Poles cuts him, for sure. :bored:
I don't think Scott's a wash, but he needs to do *something* to merit a roster spot.
G08
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am
G08 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:56 pm Yep, they decided it was Turner but I think it could have been Jared Verse as well.

Yeah, that's a possibility. I'd actually prefer Verse...but would be happy with either.

You don't trade for a guy just to let him walk. Poles will give Allen a new deal. And believe it or not, there will be WRs available later in the draft! ;)
UOK wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am Plus the depth after Allen is pretty mediocre-to-poor.
Yeah, 'cause Tyler Scott is a total bust. I bet Poles cuts him, for sure. :bored:
Verse is a strong mother fucker, I don't love that he's going to turn 24 in November but I see him more as a kid who will get better with technique refinement. He's grown man strong already.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bunch of articles today on Poles staying at #9 to take a second blue-chipper in the 1st round, that he's not stressing about the low number of picks. Of course, no GM worth his salt is actually going to reveal anything concrete about his draft plans a month out, it's all part of the poker games going on.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
dplank
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am
Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am Yeah, 'cause Tyler Scott is a total bust. I bet Poles cuts him, for sure. :bored:
I don't think Scott's a wash, but he needs to do *something* to merit a roster spot.
JMO but I think his roster spot is all but assured, they just spent a pick on him last year and he got some P/T late in the year. He should be much better this year and it would be odd to dump a guy that fast after drafting him IMO. Ideally though, he's not your WR3.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am
UOK wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am

JMO but I think his roster spot is all but assured, they just spent a pick on him last year and he got some P/T late in the year. He should be much better this year and it would be odd to dump a guy that fast after drafting him IMO. Ideally though, he's not your WR3.
Scott will definitely and should be on the roster this year. He just shouldn't be guaranteed a damn thing. Velus on the other hand has 1 foot out the door. They draft someone and he's in trouble

This team is set up perfectly to draft a guy and let him develop for a year under Moore and Allen. Moore's contract nor his willingness to play for less than market value will last forever and Allen could fall off a cliff at any moment at his age(i think it's unlikely with his style but it could happen). Getting a true stud to develop would be great for the long term success of this offense and it let's Scott further develop as he needs more time. It also keeps Caleb from having 1 wr and a bunch of unknowns if there is an injury.
Heinz D.
MVP

G08 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am Verse is a strong mother fucker, I don't love that he's going to turn 24 in November but I see him more as a kid who will get better with technique refinement. He's grown man strong already.
That is kind of a bummer, but we could still theoretically get ten solid years out him. That might be worth it, as he would have less of a learning curve than Turner. (Although don't get me wrong, I still think Turner is good enough to have a solid impact as a rookie...)
Grizzled wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am Bunch of articles today on Poles staying at #9 to take a second blue-chipper in the 1st round, that he's not stressing about the low number of picks. Of course, no GM worth his salt is actually going to reveal anything concrete about his draft plans a month out, it's all part of the poker games going on.
And in his recent appearances, he certainly sounds like a guy who's staying at #9, as well.
dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am JMO but I think his roster spot is all but assured, they just spent a pick on him last year and he got some P/T late in the year. He should be much better this year and it would be odd to dump a guy that fast after drafting him IMO. Ideally though, he's not your WR3.
It is. And I'm willing to bet he'll have a much better season this year.
HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am This team is set up perfectly to draft a guy and let him develop for a year under Moore and Allen. Moore's contract nor his willingness to play for less than market value will last forever and Allen could fall off a cliff at any moment at his age(i think it's unlikely with his style but it could happen). Getting a true stud to develop would be great for the long term success of this offense and it let's Scott further develop as he needs more time. It also keeps Caleb from having 1 wr and a bunch of unknowns if there is an injury.
Your logic is kind of scattershot here, dude? There are still guys Poles could sign right now, there are guys Poles can sign after they're cut, there are kids he could draft with a pick other than #9, there will be all sorts of UDFA around--maybe one could pan out?

And, yet again, thinking Scott has already proven to be a bust is kinda premature, IMHO. :)
dplank
Hall of Famer

Very weird read you have on Hurricanes post. Not once does he imply, let alone outright declare, that Scott is a bust.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:09 pm

And, yet again, thinking Scott has already proven to be a bust is kinda premature, IMHO. :)
Please show me once where I have called Scott a bust or said I don't want him on the roster? I like Scott. He needs more time to develop. He shouldnt be handed the #3 spot. None of that is even negative.

No one has said he is a bust. People need to stop acting like someone has.
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm Very weird read you have on Hurricanes post. Not once does he imply, let alone outright declare, that Scott is a bust.
Scott isn't really an "unknown" though, is he? Hey, maybe he is, or will be, a bust--but he had an absolutely great stretch for Cincinnati.
HurricaneBear wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm Please show me once where I have called Scott a bust or said I don't want him on the roster? I like Scott. He needs more time to develop. He shouldnt be handed the #3 spot. None of that is even negative.

No one has said he is a bust. People need to stop acting like someone has.
That's most likely what's going on with him. We were lucky to get him in the fourth. His development is, most likely, going to show itself right away, this season.

As I said to dplank, he certainly could still be a bust...but ascribing him as a non-factor, or "unknown" is, again, most likely not accurate.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

malagabears wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am 2. In case Allen bolts which is a possibility, however premature it may be right now.
And the award for best inadvertent pun goes to... malagabears!

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm
As I said to dplank, he certainly could still be a bust...but ascribing him as a non-factor, or "unknown" is, again, most likely not accurate.
You are right, I'm sorry. His NFL ability is not unknown. He has played one season so it is known that he can put up 17 catches for 168 yards and 0 TDs. I want more than that for our number 3 receiver for our shiny new QB.

My point still is no one is even being negative about Scott like you are trying to make it out.

Scott is a guy developing that would look great in the #4 or #5 role on this roster.