Free Talk // Open bar, we're not turning the lights off

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

LacertineForest
MVP

alexwilkins wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:10 pm
Doesn't seem like a lot of return for a guy they had an exclusive franchise tag on, but they probably knew they couldn't keep him long-term. Still seems like they could have used him this year, unless they needed the cap space now (looks like they did as spotrac has them with $16MM after the trade, and the tag for CBs is $19MM).
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Titans really trying to go all in on that will levis rookie contract. I respect the gumption.
dplank
Hall of Famer

One of the best corners in the game traded for a very small return. We keep seeing this happen, its an interesting recent trend. Contacts (timing of them + projected future cost) is driving this, these players are all far better than the returns they got in trade: Allen, Fields, Snead, etc
malk
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:19 am One of the best corners in the game traded for a very small return. We keep seeing this happen, its an interesting recent trend. Contacts (timing of them + projected future cost) is driving this, these players are all far better than the returns they got in trade: Allen, Fields, Snead, etc
The top end of the market in nearly every position is just crazy. Just looking at starters you need 24 players (I'm including WR3/TE2 and nickle). And if your QB is taking up 15%+, any given position taking up 10%+ just becomes incredibly difficult to justify. Especially when it's for a best available player in free agency that's really a top 10 ish player (not saying this about Sneed per se).
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
dplank
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:07 am
dplank wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:19 am One of the best corners in the game traded for a very small return. We keep seeing this happen, its an interesting recent trend. Contacts (timing of them + projected future cost) is driving this, these players are all far better than the returns they got in trade: Allen, Fields, Snead, etc
The top end of the market in nearly every position is just crazy. Just looking at starters you need 24 players (I'm including WR3/TE2 and nickle). And if your QB is taking up 15%+, any given position taking up 10%+ just becomes incredibly difficult to justify. Especially when it's for a best available player in free agency that's really a top 10 ish player (not saying this about Sneed per se).
It really is, and makes Poles long view, build through the draft plan so powerful. I'm SOOOOO glad we have Poles, he's building this franchise the right way. I get impatient at times because I just want us to win now, but I know what he's doing is the right path for us as a franchise for long term, sustained success.
IotaNet
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:17 am It really is, and makes Poles long view, build through the draft plan so powerful. I'm SOOOOO glad we have Poles, he's building this franchise the right way. I get impatient at times because I just want us to win now, but I know what he's doing is the right path for us as a franchise for long term, sustained success.
This right here.

I really believe Poles wants to be the next Ozzie Newsome or (one of his mentors), Brett Veach. He continues to take a long-term, methodical approach. Interesting parallel: Newsome and Veach both became GMs at 40 years old. Poles got the job at 37. Common denominator? Youth!

The Bears FO continue to be laughed at because of past failings but sooner or later, folks are going to wake up and recognize the long plays Poles, Cunningham, Warren, et al are running, and just how good they are at their jobs.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:16 pm
dplank wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:17 am It really is, and makes Poles long view, build through the draft plan so powerful. I'm SOOOOO glad we have Poles, he's building this franchise the right way. I get impatient at times because I just want us to win now, but I know what he's doing is the right path for us as a franchise for long term, sustained success.
This right here.

I really believe Poles wants to be the next Ozzie Newsome or (one of his mentors), Brett Veach. He continues to take a long-term, methodical approach. Interesting parallel: Newsome and Veach both became GMs at 40 years old. Poles got the job at 37. Common denominator? Youth!

The Bears FO continue to be laughed at because of past failings but sooner or later, folks are going to wake up and recognize the long plays Poles, Cunningham, Warren, et al are running, and just how good they are at their jobs.
If Poles can match Ozzie in identifying and bringing in talent, it will elevate the Bears to a winning team most years. How radical would that be?
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:16 pm I really believe Poles wants to be the next Ozzie Newsome or (one of his mentors), Brett Veach. He continues to take a long-term, methodical approach. Interesting parallel: Newsome and Veach both became GMs at 40 years old. Poles got the job at 37. Common denominator? Youth!
You know you're getting old when late thirties/early forties is considered "youth"! :(
Bearfacts
MVP

Teams are not giving up a whole in trades these days are they?
RichH55
Hall of Famer

One of these is not like the other
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

This may make some of you feel old(er), Footloose debuted 40 yrs ago!!!! Just read an article about Kevin Bacon returning to the high school where the movie was filmed. He is going to attend their prom. The school will be closing after this academic year. Cool thing on his part.
LacertineForest
MVP

Bought a new camera for underwater filmmaking. Camera and my first lens weren't too bad - got them for just over $1K total. Now the housing and accessories I need to shoot underwater with it? Probably another $4K.

I had a good discussion with the wife about it yesterday. She's on board, but I promised her she could get whatever she wanted of equivalent value (we've got the money, so that isn't the issue - I'm just normally a tightwad). I also promised to sell all the unused woodworking equipment sitting in our garage (probably at least $2K worth between the cabinet saw, 8" jointer, and 15" planer alone), and maybe some of my old music gear that I haven't touched in awhile.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Went looking for the comet tonight. Went from Aldebaran to the Pleides to Jupiter to Hamal but 12P is still too faint for my 10x50 binocs. Maybe I'll break down and buy some astronomical binocs.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:01 pm Went looking for the comet tonight. Went from Aldebaran to the Pleides to Jupiter to Hamal but 12P is still too faint for my 10x50 binocs.
That first step must prove tricky ever since the Death Star blew it up.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:10 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:01 pm Went looking for the comet tonight. Went from Aldebaran to the Pleides to Jupiter to Hamal but 12P is still too faint for my 10x50 binocs.
HA!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Touche!
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:16 pm
This right here.

Yep. In Poles and Cunningham we have out two yutes.

Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Jeez, I love coming here.
alexwilkins
Crafty Veteran

Bears legend Cordarrelle Patterson
cblaz11
MVP

TV Show recommendation…..Anyone watching Shogun on Hulu? Shows really well done and very interesting from a historical aspect. Worth a watch
UOK
Site Admin

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:46 am TV Show recommendation…..Anyone watching Shogun on Hulu? Shows really well done and very interesting from a historical aspect. Worth a watch
I am. Book is HUGE but also very good. The show is much more diverse in perspective (in the novel, you only ever have Anjin/Blackthorne's point of view) and in that way is much more well-rounded. Excellent series so far.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm merging the FA thread in here since it's getting a little loosey-goosey.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:20 am I'm merging the FA thread in here since it's getting a little loosey-goosey.
that is just the board personality, where at times we seem to be more like crack addled monkeys unable to stay focused ... part of the charm of this place
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

I'd like to throw out a TV show recommendation as well. Wife and I started watching 3 Body Problem on Netflix. It's really good.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Just got around to watching How To Get Away With Murder. I'm curious, how good is Alfred Enoch's American accent?

Gotta hand it to his dad, a legend in more ways the one, fathering a child at the age of 64! He turns 100 later this year and holds the Guinness World Record for the longest gap between TV appearances playing same character (57+ years).
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:12 pm I'd like to throw out a TV show recommendation as well. Wife and I started watching 3 Body Problem on Netflix. It's really good.
I bailed after the first episode...assume it gets better?
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am
wab wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:12 pm I'd like to throw out a TV show recommendation as well. Wife and I started watching 3 Body Problem on Netflix. It's really good.
Much
Noots
Assistant Coach

Didn’t see the comet last night, but it was a gorgeous evening here after dark with still comfortable temps. Was able to snap a pick with my iPhone SE over the eyepiece of the Orion Nebula. For me, it’s one of the easier things to find in the night sky and it rarely disappoints. This photo is slightly out of focus because it’s not a fancy Astro camera (I have one, but they can truly be a PITA). Hope you guys enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am
dplank wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

Much
Based on this recommendation alone (and my wife being out of town), I kept going and sure enough it did get way better. Thoroughly enjoyed it thx for the nudge!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I heard its a REALLY good book too. It's on my short list. I'll watch the series after the book.