The 2024 Draft

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I'm pretty checked out until the draft, so apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but this comment from Flus recently was pretty interesting:

“I like the numbers in terms of the talented players that can get to nine,” Poles said, via the team’s website. “We’re going to do some cool things when we get back, kind of break into teams. One team is going to talk about [why] the tackle position is the best to go after, [why] the receiver’s the best, [why] the defensive end’s the best and use factual information to spit that out — and we’ll have a debate in terms of what’s more impactful for our football team, short-term and long-term.”

There's been some tug of war here about Braxton and it's interesting to see him atleast acknowledge that OT isnt off the table at pick 9.
dplank
Hall of Famer

LT is such an expensive position, I think they view it similar to QB. They have an opportunity to upgrade the position and reset the rookie clock. Do they want to spend big on a B. Jones extension if he's not going to be an elite LT? I'm sure this is what they are considering, having LT/RT/QB all lined up within 1 contract year of one another seems an ideal situation to build around. If Alt is there, that would be a gift IMO.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

There have been 3 trades of the #9 pick to move down in the past 30 years:

1996: Houston traded 1-9 to the Raiders for 1-17, a 2nd, and a 4th; Houston subsequently traded up to 1-14 and selected Eddie George. The 2nd was used on guard Jason Lyman and the 4th on OT Jon Runyan, who became an All-Pro although not on the Oilers

2016: Bucs trade the pick to the Bears for 1-11 and a 4th. The Bucs selected Vernon Hargreaves, CB with 1-11 and used the 4th to move up into the 2nd for kicker Robert Aguayo. The Bears took Leonard Floyd

2023: Bears trade the pick to Philly for 1-10. The Eagles selected Jalen Carter. The Bears took Darnell Wright and have that 4th in the 2024 draft
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:03 pm There have been 3 trades of the #9 pick to move down in the past 30 years:

1996: Houston traded 1-9 to the Raiders for 1-17, a 2nd, and a 4th; Houston subsequently traded up to 1-14 and selected Eddie George. The 2nd was used on guard Jason Lyman and the 4th on OT Jon Runyan, who became an All-Pro although not on the Oilers

2016: Bucs trade the pick to the Bears for 1-11 and a 4th. The Bucs selected Vernon Hargreaves, CB with 1-11 and used the 4th to move up into the 2nd for kicker Robert Aguayo. The Bears took Leonard Floyd

2023: Bears trade the pick to Philly for 1-10. The Eagles selected Jalen Carter. The Bears took Darnell Wright and have that 4th in the 2024 draft

Interesting

It would be great if they could drop down far enough for a R3 or even a R2 and still pick up a DE. Risky business, though.

I've got similar trades to 2016 & 2023 as my first guess, pick at 9 second, and larger move in 3rd.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am I'm pretty checked out until the draft, so apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but this comment from Flus recently was pretty interesting:

“I like the numbers in terms of the talented players that can get to nine,” Poles said, via the team’s website. “We’re going to do some cool things when we get back, kind of break into teams. One team is going to talk about [why] the tackle position is the best to go after, [why] the receiver’s the best, [why] the defensive end’s the best and use factual information to spit that out — and we’ll have a debate in terms of what’s more impactful for our football team, short-term and long-term.”

There's been some tug of war here about Braxton and it's interesting to see him atleast acknowledge that OT isnt off the table at pick 9.
This is why I've been focused on Fuaga, and to a lesser extent Fashanu.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:25 pm
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am I'm pretty checked out until the draft, so apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but this comment from Flus recently was pretty interesting:

I'm not sure why people think its about Braxton though IMHO.

I don't think he will be the one moving to Guard (COULD BE WRONG!). Both Wright and the Oregon St. kid could be All-Pro Guards.

And Jenkins is the one who is about to get expensive - and with the extensive injury history

That said - You also don't telegraph that you really don't want to pick an OT - if you are going to try and move down from #9
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:32 pm

I'm not sure why people think its about Braxton though IMHO.

I don't think he will be the one moving to Guard (COULD BE WRONG!). Both Wright and the Oregon St. kid could be All-Pro Guards.

And Jenkins is the one who is about to get expensive - and with the extensive injury history

That said - You also don't telegraph that you really don't want to pick an OT - if you are going to try and move down from #9

That's what I would hope, but he's never shown any inclination to misdirection, as far as I recall.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I don’t think it’s about either player moving to G, I have a hard time seeing a rookie start on our line unless we got a C high. It’s about planning a year ahead, and both Jenkins and Jones would be part of that thinking.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Wait aren't they the same guy. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think after my public stupidity here over get them confused for the millionth time, I think I will finally be able to keep them strait. :D
Heinz D.
MVP

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am There's been some tug of war here about Braxton and it's interesting to see him atleast acknowledge that OT isnt off the table at pick 9.
I think there is just so much value there that they can't rule it out. I do think that Jones has done a fine job, but he may never be top-tier. Alt or Fuaga probably will be.

Similar situation as the Fields one, when you think about it.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:31 pm
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:36 am There's been some tug of war here about Braxton and it's interesting to see him atleast acknowledge that OT isnt off the table at pick 9.
I think there is just so much value there that they can't rule it out. I do think that Jones has done a fine job, but he may never be top-tier. Alt or Fuaga probably will be.

That sums it up perfectly. Braxton is clearly an NFL starting LT and I'd argue is above average. If the team views his ceiling at top 10-12, but fell they can draft a guy who would be a perennial pro-bowl player, you make the move.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

And then trade down from #2 for more picks and eventually take Penix late in the first to get him on that 5 year rookie contract ....
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Yogi da Bear wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:31 am
Sweetness34 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:29 am

Thank God the Blazers didn't listen to Knight.
Yeah, they took Sam Bowie instead. :rofl: Can anybody think of a worse draft pick? It's much worse than the trade for Mirer. At least that trade didn't mean losing out on the GOAT.
We took Trubisky over Mahomes, it's pretty damn close!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

We traded up to take Trubisky over Mahomes :lol:
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

This comment was made by Poles, not Flus. That's important because if were made by Flus, I would argue that maybe the reference to "Tackle" was defensive and not necessarily an OT. Since it is attributed to Poles, however, I feel like it almost certainly an OT reference.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Flus just said "tackle position". Why assume he was referring to an Offensive Tackle? ;)

He is a defensive coach after all...
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:40 am LT is such an expensive position, I think they view it similar to QB. They have an opportunity to upgrade the position and reset the rookie clock. Do they want to spend big on a B. Jones extension if he's not going to be an elite LT? I'm sure this is what they are considering, having LT/RT/QB all lined up within 1 contract year of one another seems an ideal situation to build around. If Alt is there, that would be a gift IMO.
Good take on it although barring Alt falling that far I'd be interested to see what other player they believe ranks that high. Who do they see who might immediately unseat Jones at LT?

The more vulnerable position might actually be OG so drafting a kid like Wright who might also be able to move inside as a hedge against losing Jenkins in FA or Davis not getting back on track may be the best way to go.
G08
Hall of Famer

Seems to be some 'hype' building around Byron Murphy II.

I can see the lure, but I don't know if I like him at #9 overall, especially since I think Gervon Dexter has the ability to be a monster at 3T.

IF we do like Murphy more at 3T, then I'd have to think there would be a rotation this year with the plan of kicking Dexter over to NT for the foreseeable future. While I don't hate that I'd much rather have Rome Odunze or my pick of the litter at OT/EDGE (assuming 4 QBs and 3 WRs go before #9).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:45 am Seems to be some 'hype' building around Byron Murphy II.

I can see the lure, but I don't know if I like him at #9 overall, especially since I think Gervon Dexter has the ability to be a monster at 3T.

IF we do like Murphy more at 3T, then I'd have to think there would be a rotation this year with the plan of kicking Dexter over to NT for the foreseeable future. While I don't hate that I'd much rather have Rome Odunze or my pick of the litter at OT/EDGE (assuming 4 QBs and 3 WRs go before #9).
One of the guys on CHGO podcast was all over him. I like him in a trade down, but not at 9. Mostly because I think Dexter can really excel there.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:31 pm

Disagree across the board there. Its different in multiple material ways
1). You can play multiple OL at the same time - not true for QB
2) Braxton Jones is better at his position than Fields
3) QB is more important than 1 OL.

So not really similar
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:14 pm

Wait aren't they the same guy. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I think after my public stupidity here over get them confused for the millionth time, I think I will finally be able to keep them strait. :D
I have found using the School Name rather than Player Name has helped me immensely on this one:)
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the Bears have spent pretty much my entire lifetime trying to figure out the QB position ... and have mostly failed ... and then they repeat the process again and again only to always fall a bit short

and then when they think they have a clue, they even screw that up
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:35 pm We traded up to take Trubisky over Mahomes :lol:
see?

this #1 pick should be held in the highest regard as they have the consensus franchise QB to select and I would like to actually see the Bears draft, and then actually develop, their own franchise QB ... and to do so, they should learn what they did right and wrong with Justin Fields and apply lessons learned to ensure Williams has a solid team foundation from which to grow

if the Bears were to trade this golden ticket, I think it should cost the acquiring team :

* 3 first round picks
* 2 second round picks
* a starting caliber veteran QB (to help the rookie QB drafted later become acclimated)
* a starting defensive player (let the defensive coach choose who they want)
* a starting offensive player other than QB (let the offensive coordinator choose who he wants)
* a starting special teams player (let the special teams coach choose who he wants)
* at least 50% of the salaries owed the players sent to the Bears be paid by the team trading them

that is the minimum bid I would accept because I think this #1 pick is that important to this franchise
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Poles has divided the scouting department into Team Ol, Team WR, and Team DE. Each team will make its case for taking one of their guys at #9. So, which team are you on and who's your guy? I'm picking Team WR and making the case for Rome Odunze. I doubt Nabers and Harrison make it to #9. Odunze is big, runs decent routes, has very good hands, fights for catches, has put together multiple 1000+ yard college seasons, and is the perfect compliment to Moore and Allen as well as providing another weapon for the rookie QB.
IotaNet
MVP

For me it's simple. YOU DON'T DO IT.

You have the number one pick in a year where the number one prospect is considered special.

Don't over-think it.
Don't over-analyze it.
Don't try to be smarter than everyone else.

Use the number one pick on the consensus number one prospect.

Full stop.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
grendel2000
Journeyman

Grizzled wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:32 pm Poles has divided the scouting department into Team Ol, Team WR, and Team DE. Each team will make its case for taking one of their guys at #9. So, which team are you on and who's your guy? I'm picking Team WR and making the case for Rome Odunze. I doubt Nabers and Harrison make it to #9. Odunze is big, runs decent routes, has very good hands, fights for catches, has put together multiple 1000+ yard college seasons, and is the perfect compliment to Moore and Allen as well as providing another weapon for the rookie QB.
I'd love to know how they approached that! Seems like a mistake to arbitrarily divide them up and maybe have them advocating for a guy who isn't really what they want. If it were me, step one would be to say that I'm dividing the staff into groups for each position, and that everyone should go to the group they currently think is the right choice...
dave99
Assistant Coach

grendel2000 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:06 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:32 pm Poles has divided the scouting department into Team Ol, Team WR, and Team DE. Each team will make its case for taking one of their guys at #9. So, which team are you on and who's your guy? I'm picking Team WR and making the case for Rome Odunze. I doubt Nabers and Harrison make it to #9. Odunze is big, runs decent routes, has very good hands, fights for catches, has put together multiple 1000+ yard college seasons, and is the perfect compliment to Moore and Allen as well as providing another weapon for the rookie QB.
I'd love to know how they approached that! Seems like a mistake to arbitrarily divide them up and maybe have them advocating for a guy who isn't really what they want. If it were me, step one would be to say that I'm dividing the staff into groups for each position, and that everyone should go to the group they currently think is the right choice...
I disagree. It's healthy to make an advocate construct and deliver a coherent and even convincing counter argument. You might find holes in your own argument and also better recognize the merit of the other point of view.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Z Bear
MVP

I listened to the interview, he was talking about the position group coaches pleading their case for their guy. I'm sure they would not put a DB coach on Team OT or WR.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Team WR for me. If MHJ is there it's a no brainer. You let Allen walk the following year and profit with DJ & MHJ.

If MHJ is not there, which he won't be,I go Nabers ASSSUMING the stuff about the gun checked out. I think he's a great compliment to this offense.

If Nabers is gone I probably go Rome but could be talked into a trade down for one of the next WRs
grendel2000
Journeyman

dave99 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:27 pm
grendel2000 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:06 pm

I disagree. It's healthy to make an advocate construct and deliver a coherent and even convincing counter argument. You might find holes in your own argument and also better recognize the merit of the other point of view.
Perhaps, but what you risk here is being overly influenced by the person who is best at arguing as opposed to getting to see informed sentiment of the group as a whole.
Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

I wonder if any Colts message boards had a similar thread the year that Payton Manning was coming out of college.