Caleb Williams News and Rumor thread

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

Pretty sweet the front office took him and some players out to dinner, and then had the players sit with him as the front office sat at another table.

Love it. Get some genuine feedback from your current players (willing to bet Cole Kmet was there).
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bearfacts
MVP

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:21 pm I bet him and Allen were there discussing who gets to buy 13 from Scott.
They were seen at his Pro Day playing Rock, Paper, Scissors for it. No word on who actually won. :mrgreen:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:21 pm I bet him and Allen were there discussing who gets to buy 13 from Scott.
Maybe they'll play a three-way game of beer-pong. Winner keeps the number.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Williams said he'd only do medicals for the teams he visited so if there are no reports of him visiting with any others any lingering doubt about him coming to Chicago will be quashed.
dplank
Hall of Famer

It’s pissing me off seeing several ESPN heads saying they have Daniel’s as the best QB. That is all.
IotaNet
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:50 pm It’s pissing me off seeing several ESPN heads saying they have Daniel’s as the best QB. That is all.
Don’t sweat it. They’ve run out of things to say and they have to fill the airwaves with SOMETHING.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
STLINI
Practice Squad

dplank wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:50 pm It’s pissing me off seeing several ESPN heads saying they have Daniel’s as the best QB. That is all.
It's all click bait now. They can only do so many mock drafts before you can't re-arrange the picks much anymore. Nothing gets people talking more than a QB controversy. Did the same thing with Manning/Leaf and Luck/RGIII.
STLINI
Practice Squad

Here's a fun article talking about CW's arm talent:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-inside ... 02344.html
wab
Mod

It's all for rage clicks.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:31 am
It's all for rage clicks.
Working!
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He paints his nails (which more than one guy does) to honor his mom, who's a nail tech.

He said this will be the only 30 visit he'll be making. Commandos, eat your heart out.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:35 am
He said this will be the only 30 visit he'll be making. Commandos, eat your heart out.
Sick, you know he's already got the playbook on the downlow. Aint nothing stopping this train!

Oh sweet, Caleb's texting me a pic right now, I wonder what's up?

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:32 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:35 am
Sick, you know he's already got the playbook on the downlow. Aint nothing stopping this train!

Oh sweet, Caleb's texting me a pic right now, I wonder what's up?

All-time stupid move right before a draft. Teams maybe including the Bears probably sorry they didn't draft a guy for smoking grass, something not exactly unknown among NFL players.
IotaNet
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:10 pm All-time stupid move right before a draft. Teams maybe including the Bears probably sorry they didn't draft a guy for smoking grass, something not exactly unknown among NFL players.
Yeah - In retrospect (with weed now legal in most places), this is a great big nothing-burger.

That was definitely an effed-up thing to happen to Tunsil, tho. Whoever did it, did so specifically to mess up his draft situation. And I don’t think they ever found out who it was, either.

EDIT: I didn’t know about all of this. Good for him!
Last edited by IotaNet on Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
otis
Pro Bowler

the fuckers this morning were asked who might be like houston this coming season. the pricks said washington with their new qb blah blah blah. fucking fuckersss. die!!!
IotaNet
MVP

otis wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:46 pm
the fuckers this morning were asked who might be like houston this coming season. the pricks said washington with their new qb blah blah blah. fucking fuckersss. die!!!
Okay, @otis. Tell us how you REALLY feel. 😳

- Gen. Colin Powell
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

This notion that CW is making only ONE Thirty visit-- he doesn't even want to go visit other teams...I frickin love that. He's a one city guy.

LFG Caleb. LFG Chicago.
Chifaninca
Journeyman

I love the one visit... He's a decision maker...

ESPN is like all media these days - only about audience - more important that any real truths or insights...

Bears Boards - Loving this the most - We've gone from seeing the divisive Justin vs Caleb debate to Can he be the best rookie QB of all time and will the Bears win a super Bowl with him in the next year or two...lol.

As a USC fan, I am so happy for Caleb.... As a Bears fan - I am beyond ecstatic that we have the chance to draft him.... As a bearsfansonline fan - thankful we are closing to getting along and getting excited for what is sure to be a wild trip...hell, I may start posting Queen Latifah with pink nails pics in game chats for TMP and the rowdies!

But reality is... We still got a long way to go on all the expectations, hype and more.... Anything can happen along the way... Love where it's trending...can't wait to see the results...

Go Bears!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Chifaninca wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:18 pm As a bearsfansonline fan - thankful we are closing to getting along and getting excited for what is sure to be a wild trip...hell, I may start posting Queen Latifah with pink nails pics in game chats for TMP and the rowdies!
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Well that basically confirms it. No other visits = no other medicals. No team would draft a guy without a medical evaluation.

Ryan Poles can be seen literally licking his lips 30 seconds into that video!
malk
Head Coach

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:33 am
That's the kind of stat that makes all thought of trading the pick fly out of the window. Beautiful.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
Bearfacts
MVP

His Red Zone numbers are what's most attractive. For how many years have we watched a drive stall in the Red Zone only to see us settling for a FG two and three times per game? How many games were lost because we fell short by a FG or a TD that had we scored on one or two of those drives we win instead of losing. This alone could be a huge difference maker.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

On third downs the past two seasons, his touchdown-to-interception ratio was 16-to-0. His TD-to-INT ratio in the red zone during that span: 46-to-1.

The quote really is impressive and tend to think it would be rare for any QB.

Has any other College QB achieved anything near this level of success on 3rd down and/or in the redzone?
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
RichH55
Hall of Famer

bearsoldier wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:30 am
On third downs the past two seasons, his touchdown-to-interception ratio was 16-to-0. His TD-to-INT ratio in the red zone during that span: 46-to-1.

The quote really is impressive and tend to think it would be rare for any QB.

Has any other College QB achieved anything near this level of success on 3rd down and/or in the redzone?
Honestly? Most likely. And that doesn't take anything away from Caleb

College stats tend to be gaudy.

Like Zach Wilson's last season - he only had 3 INT. His TD:INT ratio is gonna look good in basically every data set.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Bears have also researched Caleb's father, Carl, and his role in supporting his son. Dad almost never attended USC practices, once last year. He did not make nor try to influence Caleb in football matters. His role is ensuring that his son has the most opportunities to be successful. As such, he'll be Caleb's agent and negotiate his rookie contract and any future extensions (I'm being optimistic that he'll work out and be the Bears QB for 10 to 15 years of success). He'll handle endorsement deals. I'm sure he advises Caleb on investments. All in all, it does not appear that he's a father like the Balls dad and should be very reasonable to work with.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:08 am The Bears have also researched Caleb's father, Carl, and his role in supporting his son. Dad almost never attended USC practices, once last year. He did not make nor try to influence Caleb in football matters. His role is ensuring that his son has the most opportunities to be successful. As such, he'll be Caleb's agent and negotiate his rookie contract and any future extensions (I'm being optimistic that he'll work out and be the Bears QB for 10 to 15 years of success). He'll handle endorsement deals. I'm sure he advises Caleb on investments. All in all, it does not appear that he's a father like the Balls dad and should be very reasonable to work with.
His dad as his “agent” still gives me some pause. Not enough to pass on him but I do worry this contract and especially his second one could be a shit show to work out.

But I also think having gone through all the NIL it could be a breeze. They could realize the NFL is “very nice” but the biggest payday comes from being successful and cashing in with endorsements (see Mannings). So they could come from the Brady camp and realizing they don’t have to be the highest paid in the NFL to make a ton of money. Take a bit below “market value” have the team invest that around you, win a ton and cash in then.

Don’t know how the team would be able to vet that aspect and not come across as turds.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:28 am
His dad as his “agent” still gives me some pause. Not enough to pass on him but I do worry this contract and especially his second one could be a shit show to work out.
One of my favorite Bear-isms is worrying about how expensive a player's next contract is going to be.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:28 am
Grizzled wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:08 am The Bears have also researched Caleb's father, Carl, and his role in supporting his son. Dad almost never attended USC practices, once last year. He did not make nor try to influence Caleb in football matters. His role is ensuring that his son has the most opportunities to be successful. As such, he'll be Caleb's agent and negotiate his rookie contract and any future extensions (I'm being optimistic that he'll work out and be the Bears QB for 10 to 15 years of success). He'll handle endorsement deals. I'm sure he advises Caleb on investments. All in all, it does not appear that he's a father like the Balls dad and should be very reasonable to work with.

But I also think having gone through all the NIL it could be a breeze. They could realize the NFL is “very nice” but the biggest payday comes from being successful and cashing in with endorsements (see Mannings). So they could come from the Brady camp and realizing they don’t have to be the highest paid in the NFL to make a ton of money. Take a bit below “market value” have the team invest that around you, win a ton and cash in then.

Don’t know how the team would be able to vet that aspect and not come across as turds.
The rookie contract is locked in by postition. As Rusty says, though, it will be a nice problem for the Bears to actually have to negotiate a 2nd contract for a QB.