The 2024 Draft

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Johnny Bollocks wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:22 pm I wonder if any Colts message boards had a similar thread the year that Payton Manning was coming out of college.
When Manning was coming out, there was a real debate over they should take Ryan Leaf instead.

So yeah, there was.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

grendel2000 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:18 pm
dave99 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:27 pm

I disagree. It's healthy to make an advocate construct and deliver a coherent and even convincing counter argument. You might find holes in your own argument and also better recognize the merit of the other point of view.
Perhaps, but what you risk here is being overly influenced by the person who is best at arguing as opposed to getting to see informed sentiment of the group as a whole.
Or you could have a Rich type in there who keeps pounding the table for his point of view, pounding the table, pounding the table, filling up page after page of a treatise proclaiming his angle until finally you miss your call to the podium as he's still pounding the table and now you're picking tenth. :D
malk
Head Coach

I think the dynamics of the NFL make it pretty much impossible for Poles to trade the pick. If Williams ends up being good (doesn't even have to be great) and we don't get playoff success very soon, Poles loses his job. Whereas if Williams flops Poles likely gets another go, absent other factors.

This said, given I'm not anywhere near the levers of power, I think the question is whether I'd prefer a trade based around 3 first round picks or Andrew Luck's first 7 years?

The trade would need to be from a team that we could reasonable infer will have some struggles over the next few years, i.e. not one that's stacked other than QB. But we've already got a great situation for a rookie QB and there are a few 1st round options. A good cap situation and a boatload of picks to build around Daniels, McCarthy, hell even Nix. I'm not feeling Maye for whatever reason...
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
STLINI
Practice Squad

cblaz11 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:36 pm Josh Allen
Pat Mahomes
Joe Burrow..

That’s it…you take Caleb because you think he can be in the discussion with these names.
Completely agree. All that matters is getting the right guy at QB. If I thought there were 2 QB's in this draft that were a toss up, then I'd listen to trade down 1 pick, but right now I don't see it. I think it's Caleb Williams far and away the best QB prospect in this draft. Doesn't mean it'll come to fruition, but I think he has the best chance to be the guy. It's time to finally take that shot.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I’m REAL curious to see how Allen does this year…
Shadow
Assistant Coach

o-pus #40 in B major wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:09 pm I was a Blazer fan at the time so..
So you stayed with Clyde Drexler, right?
A new Era begins in the NFC North!

Sadly, it does not involve the Bears.... :frustrated:
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Shadow wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:50 am
o-pus #40 in B major wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:09 pm I was a Blazer fan at the time so..
So you stayed with Clyde Drexler, right?
I suppose so.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I wouldn't read too much into the 3 teams thing.

It might be a smokescreen.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I keep saying take the stud that is at 9. The stud OT, the stud WR, the stud DE. When is the next time this team will have the chance to put two top 10 picks on the team in the same year? If it is Odunze, I would jump all over that. Build up a kick ass O, the likes us fans have never seen before. WR and QB on the same rookie time frame/scale, oh hell yes. I can only imagine what and O guru could whip up with WRs, TEs and RBs like the Bears have. The D played well at the end of the year with what they had. Build that ass kicking, high scoring O and the D can lag a little behind for once.
grendel2000
Journeyman

Otis Day wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:32 pm I keep saying take the stud that is at 9. The stud OT, the stud WR, the stud DE. When is the next time this team will have the chance to put two top 10 picks on the team in the same year? If it is Odunze, I would jump all over that. Build up a kick ass O, the likes us fans have never seen before. WR and QB on the same rookie time frame/scale, oh hell yes. I can only imagine what and O guru could whip up with WRs, TEs and RBs like the Bears have. The D played well at the end of the year with what they had. Build that ass kicking, high scoring O and the D can lag a little behind for once.
You said it mister!
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Flus is really feening for his stud 3T but I'm not sure one is available this year. Braden Fiske might meet his criteria more than Murphy and Newton, He might still be available when the Bears pick at 3-75.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
EricTighe
MVP

THis is my wish for 9.
DE- LAIATU LATU, UCLA

Can't argue with the production and his work out numbers proved he earned the production.
otis
Pro Bowler

malk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am I think the dynamics of the NFL make it pretty much impossible for Poles to trade the pick. If Williams ends up being good (doesn't even have to be great) and we don't get playoff success very soon, Poles loses his job. Whereas if Williams flops Poles likely gets another go, absent other factors.

This said, given I'm not anywhere near the levers of power, I think the question is whether I'd prefer a trade based around 3 first round picks or Andrew Luck's first 7 years?

The trade would need to be from a team that we could reasonable infer will have some struggles over the next few years, i.e. not one that's stacked other than QB. But we've already got a great situation for a rookie QB and there are a few 1st round options. A good cap situation and a boatload of picks to build around Daniels, McCarthy, hell even Nix. I'm not feeling Maye for whatever reason...
how do the bears compare to the colts back then? we're not a shitshow. i don't member how the colts were.
Bearfacts
MVP

Interestingly enough as more and more predictive mocks come out only one OL (Alt) and one DL (Turner) are ranked in the top ten and if Minny is able to trade with AZ into the 4th pick there's a very good chance one of the WR will fall to #9 or if not a WR than possibly Turner. Here's one of the latest ones.

After the first four picks go to the four top QBs; #5/San Diego/MHJr, #6/NYG/Odunze, #7/Tenn/Alt, #8Atlanta/Turner, #9/Bears/Nabers.

Following this there's a run on OL and CB pushing the DL farther back into the late teens and twenties. Should be interesting over the next few weeks to see who might be slipping and who might be climbing a bit but I was surprised to see the DL drop as far as they did. This seems to be a strong class for QB, WR and OL and not so much for DL.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Bears have this article on their website:
What analysts expect Bears to do with No. 9 draft pick

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/what- ... -pass-rush
In summary:
  • Dallas Turner x 4
  • Jared Verse x 4
  • Rome Odunze x 3
  • Laiatu Latu x 3
  • Taliese Fuaga x 1
  • Brian Thomas Jr (following a trade down to #11) x 1
malk
Head Coach

otis wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:11 pm
malk wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:45 am I think the dynamics of the NFL make it pretty much impossible for Poles to trade the pick. If Williams ends up being good (doesn't even have to be great) and we don't get playoff success very soon, Poles loses his job. Whereas if Williams flops Poles likely gets another go, absent other factors.

how do the bears compare to the colts back then? we're not a shitshow. i don't member how the colts were.
Luck went 11-5 as a rookie. With one of the losses being us putting 41 on them in his debut! The Colts D was 21st in points so in that morass of mediocrity. Over the 6 years he played they were a top 10 offence 3 times and top half for 2 of the remaining 3. They had a top 10 D twice but usually it was low 20s. Chuck Pagano reign, not awful but not stellar.

Interesting if not particularly telling that the following draft was awful for QBs. EJ Manuel was the only 1st round pick and busted out. Geno Smith from the 2nd the only guy to do much of anything. Also two future Bears greats came later in Glennon and Barkley. 2014 then had Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, Garoppolo in the first two rounds.

Which is just to say that if their GM traded the Luck pick and ended up with one of those (or Tannehill from a pick in 2012) his days are numbered!

EDIT: Just to add for posterity, I think Williams has a good shot at a better pro career than Luck and also think there are a few QBs in this draft who should end up better than the motley crew of picks in 2013 and 2014.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

malk
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:56 pm The Bears have this article on their website:
What analysts expect Bears to do with No. 9 draft pick

https://www.chicagobears.com/news/what- ... -pass-rush
In summary:
  • Dallas Turner x 4
  • Jared Verse x 4
  • Rome Odunze x 3
  • Laiatu Latu x 3
  • Taliese Fuaga x 1
  • Brian Thomas Jr (following a trade down to #11) x 1
Lau's 2023 production was mouth watering. The neck thing is obviously a weird wrinkle but with two years of solid play I think he's the best edge prospect...

Johnny Bollocks
Journeyman

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:20 pm
Johnny Bollocks wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:22 pm I wonder if any Colts message boards had a similar thread the year that Payton Manning was coming out of college.
When Manning was coming out, there was a real debate over they should take Ryan Leaf instead.

So yeah, there was.
Not the same debate though, is it? Now we're discussing trading out of 1.1 when there is ONE QB that recognised as the best in class. Not the same as arguing over which of the top two are better. Here we're discussing whether we should forego the (mostly) concensus no. 1 completely. For other draft picks.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Worst case: the top 3 WRs and Alt are taken along with 4 QBs by the time the Bears pick. What then? Maybe trade to the 12 to 14 range for a team looking for the top CB, an OT, or someone wanting to roll the dice on Nix/Penix and get another 3rd? Trade down to 16 to 19 and get a 2nd? I'm in the minority but still like Bowers as a pick, Waldron would know how to use his talents.
Bearfacts
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:55 am Worst case: the top 3 WRs and Alt are taken along with 4 QBs by the time the Bears pick. What then? Maybe trade to the 12 to 14 range for a team looking for the top CB, an OT, or someone wanting to roll the dice on Nix/Penix and get another 3rd? Trade down to 16 to 19 and get a 2nd? I'm in the minority but still like Bowers as a pick, Waldron would know how to use his talents.
I'd say it depends on how they view Turner. In your scenario he's still on the board at #9. If he's their BPA do you take him there and not risk losing him if you trade down? If all three WR are gone it's most likely because ATL traded down and they're now behind us ready to take Turner if we pass on him.
wab
Mod

Atlanta could take a WR too. It's not like London and Mooney have set the world on fire (and I've always liked Mooney).
dave99
Assistant Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:55 am Worst case: the top 3 WRs and Alt are taken along with 4 QBs by the time the Bears pick. What then? Maybe trade to the 12 to 14 range for a team looking for the top CB, an OT, or someone wanting to roll the dice on Nix/Penix and get another 3rd? Trade down to 16 to 19 and get a 2nd? I'm in the minority but still like Bowers as a pick, Waldron would know how to use his talents.
You are not alone. This is good.
Only lines up at tight end 44% of the time. Can line up almost anywhere.
[video][/video]
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:16 am
I'd say it depends on how they view Turner. In your scenario he's still on the board at #9. If he's their BPA do you take him there and not risk losing him if you trade down? If all three WR are gone it's most likely because ATL traded down and they're now behind us ready to take Turner if we pass on him.
In this scenario, Turner goes #8 to the Falcons.
wulfy
MVP

I keep hearing a lot of people say that Byron Murphy II is highly underrated in the media draft community (compared to NFL people) and despite the lack of length could be a real possibility at 9 for the Beloved. Has some of that Tommie Harris relentlessness. Just hope he doesn't have the knees of a 48 year old plumber.
Z Bear
MVP

I take full responsibility for the decline of Tommie Harris. He tore his hammy off his femur the game after I bought his jersey. Was never the same again, my bad ya'll.

I learned my lesson, I have now created the Tommie Harris rule where I will not buy a jersey of an active player.
wulfy
MVP

Z Bear wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:28 pm I take full responsibility for the decline of Tommie Harris. He tore his hammy off his femur the game after I bought his jersey. Was never the same again, my bad ya'll.

I learned my lesson, I have now created the Tommie Harris rule where I will not buy a jersey of an active player.
Please don't tell me you bought a Butkus jersey last year. :scared:
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:48 am Atlanta could take a WR too. It's not like London and Mooney have set the world on fire (and I've always liked Mooney).
I would bet money that they are taking a WR. Probably Brian Thomas, or Odunze if he is still there. They need to beef up their WR corps for Cousins.
German Bear
Practice Squad

Give me this one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bears Fan from Würzburg, Germany
Z Bear
MVP

wulfy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:49 pm Please don't tell me you bought a Butkus jersey last year. :scared:
No, got his about 5 or 6 years ago. After the Tommie Harris incident I started collecting jerseys of all the old greats I could get.
Bearfacts
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:55 am
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:16 am

In this scenario, Turner goes #8 to the Falcons.
How? You've ticked off 4 QBs, 3 WRs, and Alt. That's picks 1-8 already with the Bears at #9 and Turner still on the board.

If four QB go in the top ten the way I see it is either Turner or a top three WR will still be on the board at #9 depending on what ATL does. Either they keep the pick and and leave us the WR or Turner, or they trade the pick to someone who wants that WR or possibly the 4th QB leaving Turner for us. I admit this is pretty much based on the predictions made so far by others but it's probably not far from reality provided all four QBs are drafted before pick #9. The wild card is that 4th QB, where he goes, and to who.