The 2024 Draft

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:57 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:55 am

In this scenario, Turner goes #8 to the Falcons.
How? You've ticked off 4 QBs, 3 WRs, and Alt. That's picks 1-8 already with the Bears at #9 and Turner still on the board.

If four QB go in the top ten the way I see it is either Turner or a top three WR will still be on the board at #9 depending on what ATL does. Either they keep the pick and and leave us the WR or Turner, or they trade the pick to someone who wants that WR or possibly the 4th QB leaving Turner for us. I admit this is pretty much based on the predictions made so far by others but it's probably not far from reality provided all four QBs are drafted before pick #9. The wild card is that 4th QB, where he goes, and to who.
My bad, ran out of fingers. Turner is still there at 9, ATL takes a WR at 8. Turner is that speed rusher to complement Sweat but is he better suited to a 3-4, how will he play with his hand on the ground like the Bears prefer.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Bearfacts
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:56 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:57 pm

How? You've ticked off 4 QBs, 3 WRs, and Alt. That's picks 1-8 already with the Bears at #9 and Turner still on the board.

If four QB go in the top ten the way I see it is either Turner or a top three WR will still be on the board at #9 depending on what ATL does. Either they keep the pick and and leave us the WR or Turner, or they trade the pick to someone who wants that WR or possibly the 4th QB leaving Turner for us. I admit this is pretty much based on the predictions made so far by others but it's probably not far from reality provided all four QBs are drafted before pick #9. The wild card is that 4th QB, where he goes, and to who.
My bad, ran out of fingers. Turner is still there at 9, ATL takes a WR at 8. Turner is that speed rusher to complement Sweat but is he better suited to a 3-4, how will he play with his hand on the ground like the Bears prefer.
LOL....good thing we don't have the 11th pick. ;)

We don't know whether or not the Bears feel he's better suited for a 3-4 as an OLB or whether he necessarily has to play every down with his hand in the dirt. Robert Quinn is about the same size as Turner and played as a RDE most of his career. He's who I liken Turner to be most like out of more recent Bears DL. He's definitely the speed guy whereas Verse seems to be a power guy.

I think there's a good chance ATL takes him unless someone hits them up with a really good package of picks for a trade. But there are also those who feel they may actually draft a WR to give Cousins more top shelf targets. So who knows what ATL or a couple other teams will do and we're not gonna know until we're closer to Draft Night or on Draft Night.

I'm tying into what Poles has said about being confident there will be several blue chip players he likes still on the board at #9.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:29 pm
Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:56 pm

LOL....good thing we don't have the 11th pick. ;)

We don't know whether or not the Bears feel he's better suited for a 3-4 as an OLB or whether he necessarily has to play every down with his hand in the dirt. Robert Quinn is about the same size as Turner and played as a RDE most of his career. He's who I liken Turner to be most like out of more recent Bears DL. He's definitely the speed guy whereas Verse seems to be a power guy.

I think there's a good chance ATL takes him unless someone hits them up with a really good package of picks for a trade. But there are also those who feel they may actually draft a WR to give Cousins more top shelf targets. So who knows what ATL or a couple other teams will do and we're not gonna know until we're closer to Draft Night or on Draft Night.

I'm tying into what Poles has said about being confident there will be several blue chip players he likes still on the board at #9.
Actually I can count to 21 with 10 fingers, 10 toes, and, ah, well, you know ....

Good comp with Turner and Quinn.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Looking at #12 to #14: Denver, Vegas, and New Orleans. Denver is thought to be going after a QB. Vegas either a QB, OT, or CB. NO an OT. If the Bears see the premium guys they want go 1-8, perhaps they will explore trades with these teams. Denver and Vegas might want to move in front of Minnesota for a QB (although Minny could trade up to 3 - 5 for their guy but that would still leave Penix and Nix. Vegas and NO might want to move in front of the Jets, who might be eyeballing another OT. A. trade with Denver might involve its 1st and 3rd with the Bears giving up 1-9 and a 4th. Trades with the other 2 teams might involve their 1st and 3rd for the 9th.
wulfy
MVP

If McCarthy is on the board at 9, there will be substantial opportunity to move down to either the Raiders or the Broncos spot (or possibly the Vikings, not sure you want to help out a division rival - if you do, there needs to be a tax). I'd REALLY like to capture a 2nd round pick this year - that round is loaded.
G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

What's the ammo to move up from #9 to #5... next year's 2nd?
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:23 am What's the ammo to move up from #9 to #5... next year's 2nd?
Probably 75 and next year's 2nd and 4th.

It would essentially make this a two pick draft.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I thought AZ was a lock to take MHJr, has that changed?
IotaNet
MVP

G08 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:22 am
This is really interesting Food for Thought.

One of the things Poles said to McAfee a couple of weeks ago (in response to RG3’s asinine comments) is that he and his braintrust were hired to “Break a cycle.”

One could identify that cycle as “load up on defense, run the ball, and provide the quarterback with ‘OK’ weapons.”

If the Bears added Williams AND MHJ, (in addition to Allen, Everett, and Swift), that would be totally destroying the cycle and the prevailing narrative.

It would definitely be shocking and another signal that these aren’t the same old Bears.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Gen. Colin Powell
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:05 am
G08 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:23 am What's the ammo to move up from #9 to #5... next year's 2nd?

Woof... too rich for my blood.
G08
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:19 am

One of the things Poles said to McAfee a couple of weeks ago (in response to RG3’s asinine comments) is that he and his braintrust were hired to “Break a cycle.”

One could identify that cycle as “load up on defense, run the ball, and provide the quarterback with ‘OK’ weapons.”

If the Bears added Williams AND MHJ, (in addition to Allen, Everett, and Swift), that would be totally destroying the cycle and the prevailing narrative.

It would definitely be shocking and another signal that these aren’t the same old Bears.
Getting your franchise QB and WR1 in the first 10 picks, and on rookie contracts, is outstanding.

Putting that rookie in a WR room with DJ Moore and Keenan Allen is, in my opinion, elite.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:26 am

Getting your franchise QB and WR1 in the first 10 picks, and on rookie contracts, is outstanding.

Putting that rookie in a WR room with DJ Moore and Keenan Allen is, in my opinion, elite.
It would be - but its a lot of eggs in that particular basket too.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:25 am

Hey, that attitude towards the draft got the Rams a ring.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:18 am I thought AZ was a lock to take MHJr, has that changed?
Yes - I think so.

Two reasons (one very speculative, the other less so)

Less so - They seem like a team that wants to trade down. Probably need to.

Speculative - Apparently there are teams with jumbled WR boards from who many(most? almost all?) think is the Top WR (I.E. Some have Rome or Nabers as WR #1)
LacertineForest
MVP

https://www.dabearsblog.com/2024/lesson ... two-drafts
DBB wrote:In short, here are the four main lessons we have learned from Ryan Poles’ first two drafts:

He only wants to draft plus athletes.
He likes to trade down to accumulate more picks.
He likes spending multiple picks on one need.
He generally invests more in the defense than the offense.

The last three trends all seem to be aligning nicely, in my view. If Ryan Poles trades back from pick 9, he will be in range to invest a first round pick on a pass rusher (DEs like Jared Verse or Chop Robinson or DTs like Byron Murphy or Johnny Newton feel like possible targets), and then have extra picks he can spend to further bolster the pass rush later in the draft.

There is no saying for sure how the draft will unfold – I am sure the Bears’ ultimate action at 9 depends on what happens between picks 2 and 8 – but my read of Poles’ draft history, plus Chicago’s moves so far this offseason – makes me think that is his plan A.
Not much really new here, but the points are well organized and this is kind of how I've been thinking it might unfold all along (trade down, pick a guy they still really like, but acquire at least another day 2 pick in the process). I really think it could go either way at #9, though. If someone they see as special falls, I don't doubt they'll take him.
G08
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:54 am

It would be - but its a lot of eggs in that particular basket too.
Allen turns 32 before the season starts and has one year left on his deal

Moore turns 27 before the season and has two years left on his deal

This is about 2-3-4 years down the line.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:25 am
wab wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:05 am Probably 75 and next year's 2nd and 4th.

It could possibly involve a player trade rather than just picks... but who is there other teams might covet that Poles would be willing to let go? Even Justin Fields only netted a conditional sixth rounder.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:55 am Worst case: the top 3 WRs and Alt are taken along with 4 QBs by the time the Bears pick. What then? Maybe trade to the 12 to 14 range for a team looking for the top CB, an OT, or someone wanting to roll the dice on Nix/Penix and get another 3rd? Trade down to 16 to 19 and get a 2nd? I'm in the minority but still like Bowers as a pick, Waldron would know how to use his talents.
No worse case is QBs go 1 and 2 (I'm pretty sold that Washington is taking one), then the surprise comes at 3 where N.E. doesn't take a QB and no team after us moves up to take a QB.

You then have 2 QBs, 3 WRs, Alt and 2 other players (Turner/Verse/another OT/not a CB or LB). In that case you 6 players we might have liked at 8 off the board.

If we assume the Bears want either one of the 3 WR, Alt or the DE they prefer, we are guaranteed one unless 4 QBs go in the first 8 picks. And in that case I'm thinking it would be the DE they like most.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

In that case, there will be a QB there that somebody will surely want trade up for.

Let me ask, would people do the trade the Giants made when we moved up for Fields? We traded a current year fifth and next year's first plus the 20th pick this year to move to 11 to take Fields. Would you trade the 9 pick for the 16 from Seattle and their first sixth plus their first next year?

I think I would if the draft falls like Ark says here.
malagabears
Journeyman

I'd love MHJ as the pick but according to this tweet it is outragously & prohibitively expensive to trade up to 4 for example. F that, I take my chances @ 9.

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Where's that omg it's happening gif because that's me right now.

If they trade up and get a wide receiver I will be a very happy man.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

If those 2 picks are Caleb Williams and MHJr....

They live up to the hype and that's 2 Hall of Famers.

Would be a home run of a draft for a team that desperately needs long term impact players on offense.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I dream of this being the reality we live in.
G08
Hall of Famer

There are so many different fucking ways #9 can go, it makes my head hurt:

If MHJ is available at #5 we could ostensibly trade up to get him

Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze could "fall" to #9 and we take them

Dallas Turner could be available

We could trade back a bit if we truly love Byron Murphy II or Jared Verse

We also could trade back if we have our eyes on Brian Thomas Jr, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy

I haven't even discussed OT/OG/OC options yet. Good grief.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The good news is they all make us better
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm The good news is they all make us better
Hopefully!

Someone is bound to bust or underperform though. Just hope its not our guy
Bearfacts
MVP

Yup, I don't think the value of this can be discounted. If a top WR he will be a BPA and Poles can lock CW and the WR together in their development. Keenan Allen my be good for another year after this one but at some point he's gonna begin to decline. Moore will be 29 when his current contract ends. Drafting a WR now would be a very good investment for the future.

Another good reason is that contracts for WR are exploding. They are becoming the second highest paid position on the team so what are $20 mil AAV deal now will be $30 mil AAV very soon. Having one with the ability to become a #1 WR on a rookie deal for 4 years with a 5th year option would be good business especially when this class of DE/Edge is not that strong.
cblaz11
MVP

I don’t think we would have to trade up with the Chargers…it would be the giants at 6 which would cost slightly less lol

That said, if MHJ drops to Giants, can they pass on him.

I’ve felt that those linking MHJ to Cards for 3 months now were jumping the gun…Now with the Vikings wanting to move up, that becomes less likely.

4 QBs to start, Alt to Chargers, Bears either trade up or take Nabors at 9.

I cannot get on board with Rome at 9, when I watch the tape I see a drastic difference between MHJ/Nabors and Rome. If both WRs are gone, I really don’t know who’s tops on my board. As of right now, it might be Verse.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:13 am
I cannot get on board with Rome at 9, when I watch the tape I see a drastic difference between MHJ/Nabors and Rome. If both WRs are gone, I really don’t know who’s tops on my board.
I definitely see him as a step down. I want offense more than anyone. But if it's top defender vs Rome vs Bowers...man I don't know what I pick.