The 2024 Draft

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:32 am I couldn't sleep last night, so I came out and did a Mock Draft with PFN. In it, I was offered a trade by the Rams: the #9 pick for the Rams 19, 52, 155, and next year's second. I took it and came away with 19--WR-Brian Thomas; 52--DE Bralen Trice; 75--DT Braden Fiske; 122--OC Beaux Limmer; and 155--TE Theo Johnson.

I mention this because of this last guy. How could I NOT know about him? He's a fucking beast with a 9.98 RAS! He's 6'6", 259 with 4.57 speed, a 4.19 shuttle, 39.5 vertical, 125 broad, 101/4 hands, and a span of 81 2/8. Can you imagine a 6'6" with nearly a 40" vertical and a span like that with hands that size. Damn.

I mention this because screw Brock Bowers, this is the TE I want. He officially becomes "MY GUY" for the 2024 Draft. Here's some highlights:

But even more importantly, look at this game tape from Ohio State. His blocking is amazing. He's like having an extra, really atheletic OT out there.

I haven't been this excited for a TE since I was pounding the table for George Kittle. I want this guy. He's my official "MY GUY".

Who's yours?
I'd love a TE in this draft so I'm on board. Love his size and athleticism if you coach him up he could be a force.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:47 pm I've been pimping Theo Johnson here as well - will fit very well into what Waldon wants to do.

I see you drafted My Guy Braden Fiske.
Just for you Wulfy. ;) Heck, and if we had to take Johnson in the second, I'd give up Trice for him rather than Fiske in the third.
G08
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:38 am Yeah, I think the disconnect is people who watch football vs people who look at a spreadsheet? I watched a couple of Washington games this year specifically to watch Penix, and came away, well before the Odunze hype train was in full swing, just falling in love with the guy. He's just so obviously got a massive catch radius, tracks the ball well, and just moves like he's watching the ball in slow motion. He's absolutely strikes me as your textbook "good football player who people focus way too much on his testing".

My 2 cents, we'll see how it plays out. I'll be over the moon if we take him at 9.
Break him down for us if you've got the time.

I used to be all about size and catching radius but lately I've found myself falling in love with elite footwork/route running, understanding how to make every route look the same and using tempo to throttle in and out of breaks to confuse defenders.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:43 pm
Rusty Trombagent wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:38 am Yeah, I think the disconnect is people who watch football vs people who look at a spreadsheet? I watched a couple of Washington games this year specifically to watch Penix, and came away, well before the Odunze hype train was in full swing, just falling in love with the guy. He's just so obviously got a massive catch radius, tracks the ball well, and just moves like he's watching the ball in slow motion. He's absolutely strikes me as your textbook "good football player who people focus way too much on his testing".

My 2 cents, we'll see how it plays out. I'll be over the moon if we take him at 9.

I used to be all about size and catching radius but lately I've found myself falling in love with elite footwork/route running, understanding how to make every route look the same and using tempo to throttle in and out of breaks to confuse defenders.
As most of you know, I'm a big time Duck fan. I watched the Huskies kick our asses twice. You know who really impressed me from that team?

Penix. The guy was amazingly accurate in both of those games.
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G08
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:47 pm

As most of you know, I'm a big time Duck fan. I watched the Huskies kick our asses twice. You know who really impressed me from that team?

Penix. The guy was amazingly accurated in both of those games.
Would you say Penix excites you?

You love the Penix?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Nah, he's a lefty. I believe in right handers. lol
grendel2000
Journeyman

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:17 pm

You love the Penix?
God bless that kid and whoever he plays for, but I can't help giggling like the 53 year old 12 year old I am EVERY TIME I hear that name. Thank goodness he won't be a Bear. I'd die of mirth convulsions.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:47 pm Nah, he's a lefty. I believe in right handers. lol
G08
Hall of Famer

Jesus Fuck
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:12 am
IotaNet wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:19 am It's not that they aren't liked, it's that this is a really deep WR class. And two of those guys, Thomas and Mitchell, I like damn near as much as either Nabers or Odunze.
But neither are ranked as nearly as high as Nabers and Odunze so why would anyone draft either at #9 when they should be available later in round one? Out of all the WR in this class Nabers speed and YAC potential tends to make him more unique. I see Odunze as being very much like a Keenan Allen. He's not the fastest guy out there but he gets open and makes catches others fail to make.

It's not that I don't find other WR who are also very good prospects just not guys I believe we'd draft at #9 and that's what I was referring to not guys we'd take after trading down. My objective for that #9 pick is to get one of the bluest of the blue chip players in this draft. A guy who can be a difference maker for years to come. For me Turner and Odunze or Nabers are those guys.
Bearfacts
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:17 am
Bearfacts wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:17 am Interesting that some of you don't like Odunze when all of the scouting reports and coaching intel and opinions call him elite. Of the three top WR it's Nabers who actually graded the highest post Combine probably because of his speed and YAC ability. Then came MHJr and Odunze but there not much to separate them. Not one of them is rated as anything but a sure top NFL WR.

What is there about Odunze.....or Nabers you don't like because if there's a WR still on the board at #9 it's likely to be one of them.
I can't say that I don't like him, I'm just not sure I love him at #9 in a deep WR class like this.

Daniel Jeremiah LOVES him... but he also liked Kevin White and compared him to Julio Jones (still laughing at that one, my good GOD did I hate Kevin White during the draft process)
The major issue with Kevin White that should've indicated caution is that he lacked several years of successful college production. That's not an issue with Odunze whose been a starter since 2021 and whose also had back to back 1000 yard plus seasons in 2022 and 2023. White was bad pick based strictly on drafting for need. We don't absolutely need Odunze but if he's the BPA on your board at #9 you take him because if we can''t extend Keenan Allen we'll need him as early as 2025.

If Turner is still on the board I believe Poles and Flus would prefer to draft him and fill that hole at RDE. But I'm working off the idea that ATL will take Turner at #8 leaving us a choice between the 2nd ranked DE or the 3rd ranked WR. Unless Verse is the guy you'd rank just as highly as Turner I'd go with Odunze whom I'm sure will become the pro you want. I'm less sure with Verse.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Brett Kollman just released his WR big board (annoyingly in PDF form) this morning and has Odunze 2nd in this class, in the same tier as MHJ. (Nabers is third, but in the second tier).

cblaz11
MVP

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:57 pm

Jesus Fuck
Yep…guy reminds me that of Khalil Mack with the way he uses speed and power. Only issue for me is that he will be 24 in November..Does the age difference come into play vs guys that are 3 years younger than him? Not sure…

Sometimes you look at draft prospects and you just shouldn’t overthink it..I watxh that tape, I see a future all pro
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

You love the Penix?
It’s not hard to love the Penix.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

grendel2000 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:53 pm

You love the Penix?
God bless that kid and whoever he plays for, but I can't help giggling like the 53 year old 12 year old I am EVERY TIME I hear that name. Thank goodness he won't be a Bear. I'd die of mirth convulsions.
Same here.

Every time a commentator says “Penix looking long”, “Penix goes deep”; “Penix takes a deep shot”, “Penix gets wrapped up” :D
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:08 am
grendel2000 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:53 pm

Same here.

Every time a commentator says “Penix looking long”, “Penix goes deep”; “Penix takes a deep shot”, “Penix gets wrapped up” :D
"Penix is sacked", "Penix misfires", "Penix limping to the sidelines", "Penix choked in the big game." :D :D
dplank
Hall of Famer

Isn’t it super early in the morning for you? You start with the cock jokes early lol
LacertineForest
MVP

"Penix with great penetration on that sneak," "Penix somehow finds a magical escape," "A dripping wet Penix shakes his head as he just can't seem to finish today," "Penix really hitting his tight ends today," "Penix evades the sack with a slippery move," "Penix was swallowed up by Bush on that play," etc.

Can we have a thread just for Penix jokes?
wab
Mod

Jesus Fuck
Not saying that he will end up in the HOF or anything, but Verse gives off some DeMarcus Ware vibes.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I remember in high school once me and a couple buddies went up to the elementary school up the street to play hoops on 8 foot rims so we could dunk like NBA players. A couple youngsters challenged us to play 3 on 3, which was pretty funny and we played along, but one of the kids was cocky AF so we decided to just destroy them. If you didn't know the circumstances, you'd have thought I was goddamn Shaq out there.

I'm worried this dynamic is at play here with the full grown 24 y/o lining up against a bunch of 19 y/o kids in these clips.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

One of the top DEs or 3Ts will be available by trading down a few spots while snagging a 2nd or another 3rd. Poles does like his defenders and building up the DL. If, however, one of the top 3 WRs is still on the board, then Poles will really have to consider taking him and really jumpstarting the Bears offense into the modern era.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:28 am Isn’t it super early in the morning for you? You start with the cock jokes early lol
Never too early for cock jokes. :applaud:
wab
Mod

I'm really becoming a Luke McCaffery stan.
grendel2000
Journeyman

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:03 am

You love the Penix?
It’s not hard to love the Penix.
Especially when it's hitting you in the face over and over again swinging those (foot)balls all over the place!

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:54 am "Penix with great penetration on that sneak," "Penix somehow finds a magical escape," "A dripping wet Penix shakes his head as he just can't seem to finish today," "Penix really hitting his tight ends today," "Penix evades the sack with a slippery move," "Penix was swallowed up by Bush on that play," etc.

"Penix rises and stands to attention for the national anthem."
"Penix playing with anticipation."
"Penix lined up behind the center ready to go deep."
"Penix avoids penetration up the middle and passes on the obvious target."
"Penix needs to take advantage of the first opening and not come off it prematurely."
"That's left Penix deflated."
"Penix needs better protection."
"Penix really needs to be kept upright."
"Penix is hard to bring down now."
"The defensive end landed hard on Penix and now has a broad smile on his face; he knows how big that was."
"Penix standing tall fires across the middle."
"Penix hit right in the helmet. That's gotta hurt."
"Penix has been huge today."
"I've really enjoyed watching Penix."
"The coaches all love Penix, in fact the whole team loves Penix."
"Let's hear from his teammates who clearly can't get enough of playing with Penix."
Last edited by HisRoyalSweetness on Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
LacertineForest
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:21 am
LacertineForest wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:54 am "Penix with great penetration on that sneak," "Penix somehow finds a magical escape," "A dripping wet Penix shakes his head as he just can't seem to finish today," "Penix really hitting his tight ends today," "Penix evades the sack with a slippery move," "Penix was swallowed up by Bush on that play," etc.

"Penix rises and stands to attention for the national anthem."
"Penix playing with anticipation."
"Penix lined up behind the center ready to go deep."
"Penix avoids penetration up the middle and passes on the obvious target."
"Penix needs to take advantage of the first opening stop and not come off it prematurely."
"That's left Penix deflated."
"Penix needs better protection."
"Penix really needs to be kept upright."
"Penix is hard to bring down now."
"The defensive end landed hard on Penix and now has a broad smile on his face; he knows how big that was."
"Penix standing tall fires across the middle."
"Penix hit right in the helmet. That's gotta hurt."
"Penix has been huge today."
"I've really enjoyed watching Penix."
"The coaches all love Penix, in fact the whole team loves Penix."
"Let's hear from his teammates who clearly can't get enough of playing with Penix."
:D Love it!

I really hope he becomes a starter because you know somebody's going to say something unintentional that's just going to be hilarious!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

There's a very famous quote from cricket commentary when Michael Holding of the West Indies was bowling to Peter Willey of England in a Test match. The great Brian Johnston is alleged to have said "The bowler's Holding; the batsman's Willey."
G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:05 am

Jesus Fuck
Yep…guy reminds me that of Khalil Mack with the way he uses speed and power. Only issue for me is that he will be 24 in November..Does the age difference come into play vs guys that are 3 years younger than him? Not sure…

Sometimes you look at draft prospects and you just shouldn’t overthink it..I watxh that tape, I see a future all pro
I thought about that regarding his strength, but sheeeeit I'm sure there are plenty of 24 year old defensive linemen in the NFL who can't bench 225 lbs 31 times (!!!)
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:28 am Isn’t it super early in the morning for you? You start with the cock jokes early lol
This is why I love this place and all of you :toast:
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:06 am

Jesus Fuck
Not saying that he will end up in the HOF or anything, but Verse gives off some DeMarcus Ware vibes.
If Verse can learn to bend better / become more flexible (especially in his hips) he would be a monster.