2024 NFL Rule Changes

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Really cannot see LRZ doing anything in the NFL.
Pie in the sky for that kid. He’s great at union and that’s where he should have stayed. Anyway, good luck to him, hope he stays healthy
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 pm Did they do anything rules wise about the tush push, or generally having players push an offensive player forward scrum style?
I don’t believe so, but I expect Philly won’t be so good at it without kelce anchoring in front of the QB.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

What's with this hip drop tackle talk. I keep seeing it talked about.
dplank
Hall of Famer

mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 pm What's with this hip drop tackle talk. I keep seeing it talked about.
Looks like a disaster in the making, players are pretty uniformly pissed off about it. I can't explain the tackle technique exactly, but it comes from chasing behind a guy then grabbing around his waist and lifting your legs up to generate pressure and landing on the back of their legs - something along those lines. It's good to get plays out that cause injuries, but this will be very hard to referee and will lead to mistakes.
wab
Mod

mmmc_35 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:44 pm What's with this hip drop tackle talk. I keep seeing it talked about.
It's when a defender wraps up an offensive player on the side or from behind, generally around the waist, then drops their hips becoming dead-weight while trapping the legs of the defender underneath.

This is the best video example I could find.

mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I get the tackles. We called it an ohlay tackle.

I should have been more clear. This technique doesnt seem to cause injuries. It's a completely natural move. Why would they ban it.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

NFL approves more helmets specifically for quarterbacks, linemen
By Patrick Finley

The NFL will feature eight more position-specific helmets in 2024, with the goal of protecting players from impacts most likely to occur at quarterback and offensive and defensive line.

Linemen have had the option of choosing their own unique design for two years, quarterbacks for one. This year, linemen will have six more choices, quarterbacks two.

“The growing availability of position-specific helmets is a central part of our effort to provide players with the best possible protection for their position,” Jeff Miller, NFL executive vice president of player health and safety, said in a statement Tuesday. “Quarterbacks and linemen will have a range of tailored helmets available to them, with more positions to come in the next couple of years."

The league is adding 12 new helmets across all positions, with cooperation from the NFLPA. Five of them tested better in a laboratory setting than any others in league history. It's mothballing six helmets because of poor testing.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... nemen-2024
Any improvement in equipment design to help mitigate the risk to players even to a small degree is always a positive step.

I wonder if the new QB helmet designs attempt to address the issue of concussions caused by the back of the the QB's head hitting the ground. That seems to be perhaps the biggest cause of injuries, certainly head injuries, for that position now there are all the rules that greatly restrict how a QB can legitimately be hit.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

More on helmet rules:
NFL expands uniform policy to allow third alternate helmet design

Two years after alternate helmets designs were approved to return to the NFL, the league has expanded its uniform policy to allow for a third helmet to be added to teams' uniform closets, the league announced on Wednesday.

Teams going through a re-design process for the 2024 season have been offered a third helmet option, and it will be available for all teams for the 2025 season. The teams must inform the league office of their intent to utilize an alternate color helmet for the 2025 season by no later than May 1, 2024.
  • Clubs must obtain an entire new set of alternate color helmets for all players
  • Alternate color helmets must be the same make, model, and size as the applicable player's primary helmet
  • Alternate color helmets must be made available to all players at the start of training camp and should be fit at the same time as the primary helmet
  • Alternate color helmets must be worn in practice at a minimum during the week leading up to the game in which they will be used.
These conditions were put in place to maintain player health and safety, ensuring that the alternate color helmets fit properly and players have had enough time to practice with them on before wearing them during game action.

Full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-expands-un ... met-design
Personally I hate all these uniform expansions. Teams only play a maximum of two dozen games a year including preseason. There's absolutely no need for multiple helmet designs or even more than two uniforms, one for home games and the other when for away games. There's also no reason (other than the almighty dollar of course) to keep redesigning uniforms all the time.

The Bears orange helmet is an abomination as it is.
LacertineForest
MVP

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:00 pm More on helmet rules:

Two years after alternate helmets designs were approved to return to the NFL, the league has expanded its uniform policy to allow for a third helmet to be added to teams' uniform closets, the league announced on Wednesday.

Teams going through a re-design process for the 2024 season have been offered a third helmet option, and it will be available for all teams for the 2025 season. The teams must inform the league office of their intent to utilize an alternate color helmet for the 2025 season by no later than May 1, 2024.
  • Clubs must obtain an entire new set of alternate color helmets for all players
  • Alternate color helmets must be the same make, model, and size as the applicable player's primary helmet
  • Alternate color helmets must be made available to all players at the start of training camp and should be fit at the same time as the primary helmet
  • Alternate color helmets must be worn in practice at a minimum during the week leading up to the game in which they will be used.
These conditions were put in place to maintain player health and safety, ensuring that the alternate color helmets fit properly and players have had enough time to practice with them on before wearing them during game action.

Personally I hate all these uniform expansions. Teams only play a maximum of two dozen games a year including preseason. There's absolutely no need for multiple helmet designs or even more than two uniforms, one for home games and the other when for away games. There's also no reason (other than the almighty dollar of course) to keep redesigning uniforms all the time.

I generally like the alternate looks (well, not necessarily the Orange helmets, but the polar/white one would look good). I'm in favor of the change in policy.
wab
Mod

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:00 pm More on helmet rules:

Eh, it's fun. As long as it doesn't get to the level that some college teams take it. I think a black or a white helmet would be cool.