The 2024 Draft

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

G08
Hall of Famer

9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Oh no, @G08's fallen for yet another draft prospect.

This is unlikely to end well.

G08
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:25 pm Oh no, @G08's fallen for yet another draft prospect.

This is unlikely to end well.

Happens every single year my friend!

Biggest hits were Aaron Donald and Patrick Mahomes

Biggest whiff was Robert "I got high and fell out of a hotel window" Nkemdiche :lol: 🤦
Bearfacts
MVP

One thing that keeps popping up we seldom discuss is the possibility of using 2025 pick(s) to add another Day Two 2024 pick. I'd like to think that Poles has put that in the hopper as well so if a player he has a 1st round grade on drops to where he feels he can make a trade and get him I'd love to see it.

I don't know what the general consensus is for the top two days of the 2025 draft but we do know what this years looks like and we'd have the benefit of having another player a year sooner. Personally I'd rather he took his blue chip guy at #9 and then used a 2025 pick or two to land a top ranked guy on his board in round two.
cblaz11
MVP

I went back and looked and Verse was considered a lock to go top 10 and in some cases, top 7. Top 5…probably not lol
G08
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:24 am One thing that keeps popping up we seldom discuss is the possibility of using 2025 pick(s) to add another Day Two 2024 pick. I'd like to think that Poles has put that in the hopper as well so if a player he has a 1st round grade on drops to where he feels he can make a trade and get him I'd love to see it.

I don't know what the general consensus is for the top two days of the 2025 draft but we do know what this years looks like and we'd have the benefit of having another player a year sooner. Personally I'd rather he took his blue chip guy at #9 and then used a 2025 pick or two to land a top ranked guy on his board in round two.
I've thought about that, my "concern" is that any team will ask for the Carolina pick, which could be a high 2nd.

I'd rather not use future picks right now unless there is an elite player available.

Caleb Williams
Jared Verse
WR
OL

That's a fine draft in my world
dplank
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:45 am
Bearfacts wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:24 am One thing that keeps popping up we seldom discuss is the possibility of using 2025 pick(s) to add another Day Two 2024 pick. I'd like to think that Poles has put that in the hopper as well so if a player he has a 1st round grade on drops to where he feels he can make a trade and get him I'd love to see it.

I've thought about that, my "concern" is that any team will ask for the Carolina pick, which could be a high 2nd.

I'd rather not use future picks right now unless there is an elite player available.

Caleb Williams
Jared Verse
WR
OL

I’d do it if we could get MHJr, but other than that I agree I’d rather keep our premium picks next year.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:20 am

Caleb Williams
Jared Verse
WR
OL

I’d do it if we could get MHJr, but other than that I agree I’d rather keep our premium picks next year.
I think we'd have to move up to 5 if Arizona trades with someone like Minnesota to draft JJ McCarthy, and that won't be cheap.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Given that in order to get a second this year with a future pick, it's ordinarily a next year's first. I guess you may be able to do it with our third this year and a next year second.... In either case, I wouldn't be for that. I much prefer trading down generally to get yourself more chances at the Lottery that is the draft. This seems like something Pace would do.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

With so few picks this year I can't see Poles trading up from #9 when there are likely to be a number of blue chip prospects available. Perhaps a single spot for a R4 pick next year like the Eagles did in 2023 if there's a player he truly coverts. A trade up from his R3 or R4 pick in exchange for picks in 2025 might be an option given the lower cost.

Poles has shown he's happy to trade away a late round pick to take a punt on player from another team, e.g. Dan Freeney and N'Keal Harry, and this draft is considered to be particularly thin on talent in the later rounds so it's understandable for Poles to have traded away R4 and R5 picks for veterans. If he truly wants to build through the draft though then he can't keep trading away picks.
The Kaiser
Pro Bowler

For all the Odunze fans out there...

You'll like this one. A couple nuggets:

- He was inspired to play football as a boy by watchin Devin Hester Highlight videos.
- He models his game after three pro receivers, one of whom is Keenan Allen

Very intelligent young man. He and Caleb are definitely representative of a new NFL. There are moments in the video where I was thinking this guy is not only more intelligent but possibly more wise than old dudes interviewing him, except for Fred Taylor.

It's worth a Worth a watch.

Sweetness34
Practice Squad

The more I read about or watch video clips/interviews of Odunze, the more I hope he is available at 9 and that the Bears draft him. I wouldn't be upset with Alt, Turner or Verse, but I don't have the same excitement when reading about or watching clips of those 3. On draft night, Odunze is definitely the guy I am hoping for with the #9 pick.
Bearfacts
MVP

Yogi da Bear wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:43 am

Given that in order to get a second this year with a future pick, it's ordinarily a next year's first. I guess you may be able to do it with our third this year and a next year second.... In either case, I wouldn't be for that. I much prefer trading down generally to get yourself more chances at the Lottery that is the draft. This seems like something Pace would do.
I would disagree that it would be that costly. If that was the ask I would not make the trade. But it's probable we'd need to include a 2024 3rd to do it. Trading down is one approach but it potentially requires trading out of a blue chip pick at #9 to the late teens.

The objective is to capture the best players we can with both the #9 pick and a 2nd round pick who we can assume will be a better player than one we can draft in round three. We still have just 4 picks but now three may be in the top 5 including the top QB a top WR or DL and we still have a 2nd round 2025 pick.
Bearfacts
MVP

Caleb Williams
Jared Verse
WR
OL

If we use your example wouldn't a WR taken in round two likely be much better than one taken in round three? And yes, in all likelihood it would cost not only that 2025 2nd but probably our 2024 3rd. But if we're deferring taking a WR at #9 to take a DL wouldn't you rather be taking one much higher than at pick #75? It may be a strong draft for WR but a player taken between pick #40 and #50 should be a better player than one taken at #75 and we have him one year sooner.

Personally I tend to favor taking a WR at #9 when most feel Odunze will still be on the board. One reason why is that in other news Biggs claims the Bears have offered an extension to Keenan Allen which he turned down in favor of testing FA in 2025. If that happens we should be drafting his replacement now either at #9 or as high in round two as possible. JMHO
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:24 am One thing that keeps popping up we seldom discuss is the possibility of using 2025 pick(s) to add another Day Two 2024 pick.

I prefer to believe that the chances of this are extremely remote
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bearfacts
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:44 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:24 am One thing that keeps popping up we seldom discuss is the possibility of using 2025 pick(s) to add another Day Two 2024 pick.

I prefer to believe that the chances of this are extremely remote
More likely than not but not impossible. If Poles decides to go defense in round one he'll still need another WR in the draft and the pickins' in round two will be much better than those in round three. So maybe you swap your three for someone else's two for a 2025 2nd round pick where you have two. I guess a lot depends on how they see the 2025 draft class at position they may need.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

First 8 picks go:
QB
QB
QB
Harrison
QB (Minny trades with the Chargers)
Nabers
Odunze (Jets trade with Titans)
Turner

So Alt is sitting there as is Bowers, Fuaga, Verse, and Latu. What are you going to do? I say take Alt much as Bowers is tempting.10 year rocks at both tackles.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:54 am First 8 picks go:
QB
QB
QB
Harrison
Nabers
Turner

So Alt is sitting there as is Bowers, Fuaga, Verse, and Latu. What are you going to do? I say take Alt much as Bowers is tempting.10 year rocks at both tackles.
Thats a tough one. I would probably take Bowers but Alt/Fuaga would be a huge consideration. I wont pretend to be an expert on line play, I assume they are fine with Braxton Jones at LT and if he stays as is he will earn a second contract. So id go Bowers. If Poles has any doubts on Braxton, they should go with the tackle imo.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:54 am First 8 picks go:
QB
QB
QB
Harrison
Nabers
Turner

Speaking as one of the biggest Braxton Jones fan boys here (I was high on him before the Brars drafted him), I immediately draft Alt.

Brax is a good LT. Alt might be the Bears' version of Andrew Whitworth.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
peligr_Oso
Rookie

fuaga is going to be a more dominant tackle than alt.
Heinz D.
MVP

peligr_Oso wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:55 am fuaga is going to be a more dominant tackle than alt.
And they have had a meeting with him. Don't believe they have with Alt, but could be wrong.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

peligr_Oso wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:55 am fuaga is going to be a more dominant tackle than alt.
I'd take that bet

Bearfacts
MVP

Brad Biggs did his v3.0 mock with the Bears amazingly passing on Naber, Odunze, and Alt to trade down w/Denver for a 3rd and they take Washington OT Troy Fautanu. FWIW Alt, Fuaga, and Fautanu all carry a nearly identical NFL Post Combine Grade.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:24 am
G08 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:05 am

I have a few but one of my favorites (keep in mind we are degenerate assholes) was Arian Race (had Arian Foster as my RB) :lol:
In my university days anyone could put a team together to play intra-mural sports on a Sunday afternoon. Some of the names for teams people came up with were great. One of the football (soccer) teams was founded by a fan of Tottenham Hotspur and he named them the "Hotspurts". Some teams bought their own team shirts (jerseys). Let's just say the Hotspurts logo would fit nicely with the Penix jokes!

My favourite though was the Rugby team who named themselves "The Feckless Ruckers"! :D
A friend of mine’s intra-mural basketball team in law school, by years where:
Stop the bus and let my brother Jack off
Stop the bus and let my brother Jack off again
Stop the bus and let my brother Jack off for the final time.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:26 pm
I'd take that bet
I mean, it's possible.

I think Fuaga would be an. All-Pro guard next to Darnell Wright. I do not see him as a standout at T on either side, personally. Like most things, YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bearfacts
MVP

I would not discard the idea of drafting an OL at all. In Poles hierarchy of importance it's claimed that OT comes first, then DT, then WR, then DE. We probably can't rule our DT completely either. That's probably what's making this draft as interesting as it's become.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

GBN wrote:there is some buzz regarding teams like Jacksonville, Buffalo and Kansas City, which currently pick in the second half of the opening round, which are reportedly working the phones hard to try and move to get a top WR

wab
Mod

Moriarty wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:15 pm
GBN wrote:there is some buzz regarding teams like Jacksonville, Buffalo and Kansas City, which currently pick in the second half of the opening round, which are reportedly working the phones hard to try and move to get a top WR
I floated the idea of trading down with Buffalo a while back, but everyone seemed to think that it would be a mistake dropping back that far.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:41 pm
Moriarty wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:15 pm
I floated the idea of trading down with Buffalo a while back, but everyone seemed to think that it would be a mistake dropping back that far.
I'm not sure if my comfort level goes past Turner/Verse/Latu.
I posted a mock where the Bears drop into the 20s for Chop Robinson, which I find believable.
But I'm not sure I can get on board.

Chifaninca
Journeyman

Moriarty wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:52 pm
wab wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:41 pm

I'm not sure if my comfort level goes past Turner/Verse/Latu.
I posted a mock where the Bears drop into the 20s for Chop Robinson, which I find believable.
But I'm not sure I can get on board.
I'm in this camp as well. I could see the move down and would be on board with Turner/Verse/ Brian Thomas- 12-20 range. JPJ, Byron Murphy 20-30 range... But we'd better be getting a haul if we are dropping back that far. My personal hope today would be if we drop back to 12-17 pick up a second + a 5th and grab Turner/Verse/Thomas.