Draft Prospects: WR

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I like Legette in thew 3rd round if we can pick-up some extra picks. He reminds me of a Deebo Samuel type. Big thick receiver that is not going down easy.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:11 pm I like Legette in thew 3rd round if we can pick-up some extra picks. He reminds me of a Deebo Samuel type. Big thick receiver that is not going down easy.
I think I'm the only one around here that doesn't like Legette.

He reminds me of a faster Treylon Burks. Run, Jump, Catch... but can't really do much else. He's not a great route runner and for as fast as he is, he's stiff AF. I just don't know. There are things there to like, but he feels like a one trick pony.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:50 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:11 pm I like Legette in thew 3rd round if we can pick-up some extra picks. He reminds me of a Deebo Samuel type. Big thick receiver that is not going down easy.

He reminds me of a faster Treylon Burks. Run, Jump, Catch... but can't really do much else. He's not a great route runner and for as fast as he is, he's stiff AF. I just don't know. There are things there to like, but he feels like a one trick pony.
You do more research on the draft than I do. But I like his size and YAC ability. He's projected in the 2nd or 3rd round, so he can't be terrible. The route running would concern me though. I watched 6'4" ESB make a mess of routes for two years and cost his QB multiple INT's.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:55 am
wab wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:50 am

You do more research on the draft than I do. But I like his size and YAC ability. He's projected in the 2nd or 3rd round, so he can't be terrible. The route running would concern me though. I watched 6'4" ESB make a mess of routes for two years and cost his QB multiple INT's.
I don't think he's a bad player. I think he can be complementary in certain situations. As far as his draft ranking...at the beginning of the process, a lot of places had him as the 4th WR. Now he's as low as R3.

Scouts started digging and saw that he has a limited route tree and is primarily a boundary WR. Some other sort of trivial reasons...he's big but not a great blocker (Allen Robinson anyone?). He also measured in at 6'1 instead of 6'3. His one year of production worries me too (Kevin White?).

Having said all of that...the dude looks like he was built in an NFL WR factory. He has an elite combination of H/W/S that is enticing, so like I said...there is stuff to like.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

My biggest issue with Legette is that he had negligible production in his four seasons prior to 2023 (42 catches in 43 games).

I'm not a fan.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Legette's story is more complicated than his stats. He's had coaches convert him to RB and a running QB when they needed him, and he's had coaches leave after they recruited him. It took him awhile to find enough stability to allow him to succeed.
xyt in the discord chats
dplank
Hall of Famer

Question for the draftniks:

I’m thinking our plan right now is CW and Turner at 1 and 9. Our next pick is at 75 I think? Who are the WRs that are possibly available in that range? I like Pearsall but only because I’m surrounded by Gator fans telling me he’s awesome. Is he even going to be there? Who else?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:56 pm Question for the draftniks:

I’m thinking our plan right now is CW and Turner at 1 and 9. Our next pick is at 75 I think? Who are the WRs that are possibly available in that range? I like Pearsall but only because I’m surrounded by Gator fans telling me he’s awesome. Is he even going to be there? Who else?
Maybe Legette.

But as a risky punt I like these guys:

(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

thunderspirit
Head Coach

Pearsall is likely a 2nd rounder, but he'd be on my list for sure.

Keon Coleman, like Pearsall, would be a surprise to be there, but his 40-time might depress his value enough.

Tez Walker, maybe.
Jalen McMillan.
Javon Baker.
KFFL refugee.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Pearsall would be great, but only a slim chance to last that long, and only that because there's so many WR options
Tez Walker is my usual go-to with that pick
Malachi will probably be there after an unimpressive Pro Day, but I'm not very interested after that, either
McMillan I like, but feels kind of early in such a crowded group
Roman Wilson probably shouldn't last that long, but again, with a strong crop, lack of size, and modest numbers in an offense that wasn't designed to light it up - it could happen
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wab
Mod

I would imagine Legette and Tez Walker go somewhere between 50-60. Legette might even have a chance to go somewhere as high as the mid-thirties (although I think teams drafting him that high are making a mistake).

Realistically:
Brenden Rice
Ja'Lynn Polk
Jermaine Burton
Jamari Thrash
Malachi Corley
Malik Washington

Some people think Luke McCaffrey would be a reach at 75, but I would be fine with it.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Pearsall would be a meatball hall of famer around here 5 minutes after getting drafted.
wab
Mod

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am Pearsall would be a meatball hall of famer around here 5 minutes after getting drafted.
McCaffrey too
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

What about Jacob Cowing on day 3?

Man that kid is a catching machine and he gets separation because he’s fast.

wab
Mod

Cowing is a nice prospect. But he's essentially Darnell Mooney.
wulfy
MVP

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:16 am Pearsall would be a meatball hall of famer around here 5 minutes after getting drafted.
I'm already a Pearsall meatball - I can't do a mock without picking him. I try, but he sings that sweet Siren Song and gets me every time.

Live look at Ricky:

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:05 am Cowing is a nice prospect. But he's essentially Darnell Mooney.
Not bad for a day 3 prospect though

RichH55
Hall of Famer

Michigan kid is a strong maybe

Feel like Tez Walker is gonna fall further than people think - It's a crazy good WR draft and his Senior Bowl week was the thing of nightmares
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:05 am Cowing is a nice prospect. But he's essentially Darnell Mooney.
Except smaller.
https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=1 ... 138&pos=WR
KFFL refugee.

Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:37 am This was interesting to me... really surprised to see MHJ so high on this list. FWIW - the median drop rate was 5.6 among the 100 most targeted players in the FBS for 2023.

Hey wait a second. I thought that Worthy was supposed to be a drop machine. Guess not. I do know this list makes me like Thomas and Mitchell more than I already did.
cblaz11
MVP

IMO, there’s Nabors and MHJ then everyone else. I think Rome, Conky, and others are getting overvalued in large part, because of the depth at WR in this years draft.

Don’t be shocked if really good WRs are on the board into the late 3rd …Pearsal, Conkey, and maybe even Coleman
thunderspirit
Head Coach

I personally don't find Odunze overrated at all. But YMMV.
KFFL refugee.

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:00 pm If the Bears can't land Nabors or Odunze at 9, I'm leaning towards a small trade back and picking Adonai Mitchell. I get big CeeDee Lamb vibes from that dude.
I like him and Worthy, they both need some polish but have tantalizing upside.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
G08
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:58 pm

Michigan kid is a strong maybe

Feel like Tez Walker is gonna fall further than people think - It's a crazy good WR draft and his Senior Bowl week was the thing of nightmares
CW and one of Turner/Verse/Murphy

If you're looking WR at #75 -- YMMV -- I like Malachi Corley (might not be there), Xavier Legette, Malik Washington, Jalen McMillan
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:21 pm
wab wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:00 pm If the Bears can't land Nabors or Odunze at 9, I'm leaning towards a small trade back and picking Adonai Mitchell. I get big CeeDee Lamb vibes from that dude.
I like him and Worthy, they both need some polish but have tantalizing upside.
Worthy is one of those dudes that could either go in the top 20 or slide all the way to like 60. I think Mitchell could be the next WR off the board after the Big 4.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:52 am Legette's story is more complicated than his stats. He's had coaches convert him to RB and a running QB when they needed him, and he's had coaches leave after they recruited him. It took him awhile to find enough stability to allow him to succeed.
It's definitely an interesting history. The guy did play for four different offensive coordinators and three different position coaches, and his line of QB's prior to Spencer Rattler transferring in was DJ-Moore-at-Maryland-esque. Ultimately, while you have to weigh the context against the questions about not breaking out until his age 22 season, it's not all that much different from the same question about Brian Thomas Jr's breakout in his age 21 season.

It's also worth noting that the offense Dowell Loggains runs does require all WRs to run a bunch of different routes, so last year was a pretty good crash course for him. And that single productive season was really special.

His game tape is better than I gave him credit for; there's some nuance to his route running. And he's got a stellar reputation in Columbia.
KFFL refugee.