Spring/Summer Concerts

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Music threads seem to go over well. It seems like the majority of posters are really into music. I love live music and have some things lined up.

April - Jordan Davis (do not know who this guy is. Country performer but never heard of him). Taking the wife as she wants to see him. She goes to all the shows I want to see and doesn't complain. Love her for that. I need to reciprocate.

May - Beth Hart in St Louis, mid size place called The Factory.

July - local county fair has a country lineup, again for the wife. Gretchen Wilson, Eddie Montgomery (part of Montgomery Gentry) and Colt Ford.

August - Sammy Hagar on his All World Tour. Should be a rocking show. He is going to play Montrose, Hagar, Chickenfoot, Circle and Van Halen tunes. Outdoor concert. Loverboy opening. Saw them in the early 80s and they were loud as hell. Saw Sammy in the mid 80s and he did a good show.

Hoping to fit in some small venue blues acts as well.

Any one else got things lined up?
UOK
Site Admin

March - Alkaline Trio
May - Postal Service/Death Cab For Cutie
July - blink-182
wab
Mod

I'm seeing Zach Bryan in August. I think Creed is august as well.
LacertineForest
MVP

Milwaukee Metal Fest this year is nuts. I'll be going on Friday, May 17th, and basking in all the Euro Power Metal glory.

Nothing else on deck right now - my wife and I talked about going to see Ministry and Gary Newman in March. I'm sure I will hit some more shows as they're announced.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Didn't want to start a new thread, but Brit Turner, drummer, one of the founding members for Blackberry Smoke died. He was battling a form of brain cancer. He put up a good fight. I saw the band a few months back when he was back behind the kit. Fuck cancer!! They are postponing some of their tour, but plan to keep on keeping on.

As an aside, my Beth Hart concert postponed as well. She is dealing with some mental health issues that have plagued her for quite some time.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:26 am Music threads seem to go over well. It seems like the majority of posters are really into music. I love live music and have some things lined up.

April - Jordan Davis (do not know who this guy is. Country performer but never heard of him). Taking the wife as she wants to see him. She goes to all the shows I want to see and doesn't complain. Love her for that. I need to reciprocate.

May - Beth Hart in St Louis, mid size place called The Factory.

July - local county fair has a country lineup, again for the wife. Gretchen Wilson, Eddie Montgomery (part of Montgomery Gentry) and Colt Ford.

August - Sammy Hagar on his All World Tour. Should be a rocking show. He is going to play Montrose, Hagar, Chickenfoot, Circle and Van Halen tunes. Outdoor concert. Loverboy opening. Saw them in the early 80s and they were loud as hell. Saw Sammy in the mid 80s and he did a good show.

Hoping to fit in some small venue blues acts as well.

Any one else got things lined up?
I do not trust people who aren't into music.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 am I do not trust people who aren't into music.
dplank this is a football forum, but truer words may never be written in text...

It is after midnight 3/23/24 and it had the fortunate chance to listen to live music this evening...

Check out

[media][
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Well, a first for me last night. Me, being the good husband I am, attend a concert last night of people I knew nothing about and had never heard any of the artists' music. My wife is a country music fan. Me, not so much. It was Ashley Cooke, Mitchell Tenpenny and Jordan Davis. I can say it was not terrible, but cannot say it was good either.

Ashley Cooke, well lets just say when we walked in it was not country. She was doing a medley of early 2000s pop hits.

Tenpenny seemed more like a country rocker which was not a bad thing. He did sing a song I related to, "Bitches." I would have to say he was the highlight (even though high would be exaggerating) of the night.

Jordan Davis, sounded about like every other male country singer I have heard over the past 10 yrs.

My wife goes with me on my many concert trips without hassle. I felt I had to try and do the same. Thing is, she actually likes the music of the concerts I take her to.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:56 pm Well, a first for me last night. Me, being the good husband I am, attend a concert last night of people I knew nothing about and had never heard any of the artists' music. My wife is a country music fan. Me, not so much. It was Ashley Cooke, Mitchell Tenpenny and Jordan Davis. I can say it was not terrible, but cannot say it was good either.

Ashley Cooke, well lets just say when we walked in it was not country. She was doing a medley of early 2000s pop hits.

Tenpenny seemed more like a country rocker which was not a bad thing. He did sing a song I related to, "Bitches." I would have to say he was the highlight (even though high would be exaggerating) of the night.

Jordan Davis, sounded about like every other male country singer I have heard over the past 10 yrs.

My wife goes with me on my many concert trips without hassle. I felt I had to try and do the same. Thing is, she actually likes the music of the concerts I take her to.
lol I just can’t get into new country. I love the old twangy stuff tho, so if any of the newer acts are like that I’d give them a try. Sturgill and Stapleton are both good.

Heard a couple old Johnny Cash songs in the Fallout premiere and was just blown away, need a deeper dive on the man in black
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

As a kid I was in to Johnny Cash. My parents had some of his music and we would watch his variety show on Sunday nights.

New country? I give my daughter shit about it all the time. I tell her it isn't country. She says it is what country is today.

I used to hate the twangy shit when young (except Cash). My parents played it quite a bit. Now, give me some Merle Haggard.

For newer real country, Aaron Lewis isn't bad. I really have not heard much from him after the first country CD he put out.
wab
Mod

Pop country is different than "new" country.

Whiskey Myers
Zach Bryan
William Elliott Whitmore
Sturgill Simpson
Chris Stapleton
Tyler Childers
Cody Jinks
Pony Bradshaw
Warren Zeiders
Flatland Cavalry

Give those guys a listen.

If you want more of a rock vibe to your country, try The Cadillac Three.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I have listened to Whiskey Myers and like them. Hell, I would consider them country rock, southern rock.

Chris Stapleton, that dude can do anything. He is all over the place, which is a good thing. Below, he is with Slash doing the Fleetwood Mac kickass "Oh Well."