2024 Offseason Program

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Bears offseason program started today. Per nfl.com:
Phase One consists of two weeks with activities limited to meetings, strength and conditioning and physical rehab only.

Phase Two takes place the following three weeks and includes on-field workouts, which may be individual or group instruction with drills conducted at a walk-through pace. No live contact or team offense versus team defense drills are permitted.

Phase Three ramps up the workouts to include well-known organized team activities (OTAs). Phase three is the final four weeks of the offseason program. Teams may conduct a total of 10 days of OTAs. No live contact is permitted, but 7-on-7, 9-on-7 and 11-on-11 drills are allowed.

The offseason program is voluntary outside of mandatory minicamps held in early June -- during Phase Three.

https://www.nfl.com/news/twenty-five-nf ... gram-today
So here's a thread for nuggets of information anyone comes across relating to any of the above.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bears begin voluntary offseason program

For the first time since January, Bears players returned to Halas Hall en masse Monday for the start of the team's voluntary offseason program.

"It almost feels like the first day of school," said linebacker Jack Sanborn. "Everybody's been gone doing their own thing for the past 3-4 months, so to get everyone back in the building and to see the guys, it's an exciting time."

"It's like that first time you go to college and then you leave for Christmas break, and you come back and see everybody," added fullback Khari Blasingame. "It's like a reunion. It's energetic because we've got high expectations, high goals. The energy's definitely high. Everybody's excited."

Coach Matt Eberflus kicked off the proceedings by conducting a team meeting Monday morning. His message, according to Sanborn, involved "just setting the standard on Day 1 of what he wants the team to look like, what we all want to be and where we want to go."

Full article: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... ce-phase-1
Photos of the players arriving: https://www.chicagobears.com/photos/pla ... eeebf4c0bb
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:22 pm
Bears begin voluntary offseason program

For the first time since January, Bears players returned to Halas Hall en masse Monday for the start of the team's voluntary offseason program.

"It almost feels like the first day of school," said linebacker Jack Sanborn. "Everybody's been gone doing their own thing for the past 3-4 months, so to get everyone back in the building and to see the guys, it's an exciting time."

"It's like that first time you go to college and then you leave for Christmas break, and you come back and see everybody," added fullback Khari Blasingame. "It's like a reunion. It's energetic because we've got high expectations, high goals. The energy's definitely high. Everybody's excited."

Coach Matt Eberflus kicked off the proceedings by conducting a team meeting Monday morning. His message, according to Sanborn, involved "just setting the standard on Day 1 of what he wants the team to look like, what we all want to be and where we want to go."

Full article: https://www.chicagobears.com/news/bears ... ce-phase-1
Photos of the players arriving: https://www.chicagobears.com/photos/pla ... eeebf4c0bb
No crazy outfits. I like that for the first time I can remember they gave the players names. Seems like in the past sometimes they would just have photos and I'd go "who's that guy?"
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:35 pm I like that for the first time I can remember they gave the players names. Seems like in the past sometimes they would just have photos and I'd go "who's that guy?"
The program's voluntary at this stage and I haven't seen any reports on attendance or absences so I was trying to figure out if anyone hadn't turned up from the photos. I noticed Keenan Allen was missing... but then realised so was Kmet and he was quoted in the other article so obviously is there.
wab
Mod

I know it's tough to tell much from photos... but some things stood out.

1 - The offensive linemen look lean. Especially Darnell Wright and Larry Borom.
2 - Matt Pryor is a huge human being
3 - Gervon Dexter looks to be in phenomenal shape
4 - Jack Sanborn looks like he's put on weight
5 - Dexter and Ja'tyre Carter are wearing the same pants
6 - DomRob has absolutely been hitting the gym
7 - I wanna hang out with Cairo Santos and Patrick Scales
8 - Bill Murray looks less like an NFL offensive lineman and more like a dad at Whole Foods
9 - Pickens has lost weight
10 - Braxton Jones looks bigger than Tevin Jenkins
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:31 am I know it's tough to tell much from photos... but some things stood out.

7 - I wanna hang out with Cairo Santos and Patrick Scales *no diddy*
8 - Bill Murray looks less like an NFL offensive lineman and more like a dad at Whole Foods
FIFY
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:31 am I know it's tough to tell much from photos... but some things stood out.

The same style or the actual same pair of pants?

1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
spudbear
MVP

7 - I wanna hang out with Cairo Santos and Patrick Scales
Agree on the first three.
Don't know about Sanborn as I've only seen him in games.
It looked like a bunch of them were wearing the same thing, some kind of sweats with white splotches on them.

Will this be the season that DomRob puts everything together and raises his game a quantum level? Hope so, but previous history is not helping to support that.
It'd be funny if Bill Murray does a Carl Spackler impersonation in the locker room.
Pickens was wearing loose clothing.

With all of the talk about replacing Braxton Jones with a rookie, I think this will be a big year for Jones. Having him paired with Jenkins could result in some serious road grading.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
wab
Mod

spudbear wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:50 pm Pickens was wearing loose clothing.
Maybe his clothing is loose.... because he lost weight. :taunt:
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:31 am 8 - Bill Murray looks less like an NFL offensive lineman and more like a dad at Whole Foods
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Not exactly part of the offseason program, but...
Bears hire Chiefs' executive Ted Crews to run public relations ahead of QB Caleb Williams' likely arrival
By Jason Lieser

As the Bears venture into a new era with USC quarterback Caleb Williams likely arriving next week as the No. 1 pick in the draft, they are restructuring their public relations department under someone who has plenty of experience handling the nonstop attention Williams will draw.

They announced the hiring of Ted Crews, the Chiefs’ executive vice president of communications throughout their run of championships, as special adviser to president Kevin Warren and chief administrative officer. He will oversee corporate and football communications.

Crews is a longtime friend of Bears general manager Ryan Poles from their time together with the Chiefs. Crews arrived in Kansas City in 2012 and worked there through last season, when the Chiefs won their third Super Bowl in five seasons; Poles worked in their personnel department from 2009 through ’21.

The Bears fired former vice president of communications Brandon Faber last week and have fired two other media relations employees over the last two years.

Crews’ experience with the Chiefs was solid preparation for the scrutiny Williams and the Bears will face. Not only were they the focal point of the NFL because they won, but Patrick Mahomes’ stardom has transcended the sport, and All-Pro tight end Travis Kelce became a celebrity beyond football last season while dating Taylor Swift.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2024 ... ly-arrival
Bearfacts
MVP

The expansion of EVP and SVP personnel along with every other front office position tallies as many or more than there are players on an active roster. Things sure have changed in the last 50 years or so when back then it was GSH, Mugs, and their coffee boy Ed McCaskey.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

I am really pumped for this season, probably higher on this team then the second year of Nagy, lol. Hope the results are better.

I have a good feeling that Dexter and Pickens are going to shine this year, especially if we get a DE opposite of Sweat. Also love having Moore, Allen, Kmet for CW to trust.

Love the Bates addition, that picture just enhances my feelings, lol. He's going to be a brawler and a the fans will love him.

This team is actually set up nicely for success, lets hope no one fucks it up.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Hoog wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 am I am really pumped for this season, probably higher on this team then the second year of Nagy, lol. Hope the results are better.

I have a good feeling that Dexter and Pickens are going to shine this year, especially if we get a DE opposite of Sweat. Also love having Moore, Allen, Kmet for CW to trust.

Love the Bates addition, that picture just enhances my feelings, lol. He's going to be a brawler and a the fans will love him.

Love it Hoog, I’m super excited also! Don’t sleep on Swift either, I think he was a sneaky big addition that will have a big impact on our offense. We are stacked, Poles has done an outstanding job. All we really need is for CW to be as good as advertised and we are going to be a very dangerous team
wulfy
MVP

I just can't believe they traded Justin before they could invite him to the STH Draft Party.

HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:07 am
Hoog wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 am I am really pumped for this season, probably higher on this team then the second year of Nagy, lol. Hope the results are better.

Love it Hoog, I’m super excited also! Don’t sleep on Swift either, I think he was a sneaky big addition that will have a big impact on our offense. We are stacked, Poles has done an outstanding job. All we really need is for CW to be as good as advertised and we are going to be a very dangerous team
Man do i ever hope you are right. It still burns me that Poles commited the unforgivable sin of paying a god damn running back. Swift better be top 3 this year.

We also need health. The offense quickly becomes a house of cards with an injury
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:01 am

Man do i ever hope you are right. It still burns me that Poles commited the unforgivable sin of paying a god damn running back. Swift better be top 3 this year.

We also need health. The offense quickly becomes a house of cards with an injury
If he's a top 3 RB, you guys in the Keeper League are in trouble!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm sure the season will go like it always does for me - one of the top scoring offenses, top team going into the playoffs, first playoff game have a record low scoring week and get bounced in the first week. I'm thinking this year, I might rest my starters the final regular season game and maybe giving them some rest they will play better the first week of the playoffs. :evilgrin:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

wulfy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 am I just can't believe they traded Justin before they could invite him to the STH Draft Party.

That's cold. :evilgrin:
dplank
Hall of Famer

lol...I think the league had overcorrected on RB value and this offseason kinda brought RB value back up again. But we'll see. Swift brings an element we lack and I think he's going to have a lot of big plays for us this year.

As for injuries, this is largely true for every team, but for us I think we have fantastic depth on offense. The problem as usual will be the OL, an injury or two there can devastate our chances. The larger issue, as I keep pining about, is our DL. If Sweat goes down, that's a true house of cards effect. We could revert back to a bottom 5 defense fast IMO, which is what we were for a year and a half prior to his arrival. DL must stand up for everything else to work.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 am

If he's a top 3 RB, you guys in the Keeper League are in trouble!!!!!!!!!!

But I'm sure the season will go like it always does for me - one of the top scoring offenses, top team going into the playoffs, first playoff game have a record low scoring week and get bounced in the first week. I'm thinking this year, I might rest my starters the final regular season game and maybe giving them some rest they will play better the first week of the playoffs. :evilgrin:
I'll trade you Fields for Swift straight up :flick:
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

It still burns me that Poles commited the unforgivable sin of paying a god damn running back. Swift better be top 3 this year.
Yep.
It's not that I don't like him as a player.
But (a) don't pay running backs unless they're healthy and elite and (b) we had a very, very effective run game going with a cheap, by committee approach. The need just wasn't there.

<hit quote to see the BR link>

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-fr ... rly-moves/
https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2024/0 ... s-of-2024/

Byard also got some downvotes.
They may have overpaid there, relative to a buyers market. But I'm less bothered by that one, given that they're paying less and getting a better player than last year. It's a step forward in all respects, even if it wasn't as efficient as it should have been.

But, overall, yes, if Caleb finds his stride by midseason, it could be a team people don't look forward to, for the first time in a while.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
wulfy
MVP

I think at some point, you've got to move past the Money Ball approach to roster building (there is a time and place for it) and focus on acquiring playmakers. Swift's versatility is super exciting and having two quality backups will be necessary in an NFL season. With the amount of cap space they had/have, a slight market overpay to get the guy you really wanted is okay.

That said, wish they took that same attitude with Christian Wilkins, but I trust Poles.
Hoog
Pro Bowler

Sorry, still can't get on the Swift move. Too many disappointments when he played here for the Lions. Always hurt or had excuses. Didn't seem to give a damn. I hope he's changed and I'll root for him but not overly excited about the move. Not a Swifty in more ways than one, lol
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Hoog wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm Sorry, still can't get on the Swift move. Too many disappointments when he played here for the Lions. Always hurt or had excuses. Didn't seem to give a damn. I hope he's changed and I'll root for him but not overly excited about the move. Not a Swifty in more ways than one, lol
Speaking of Swifty

Bearfacts
MVP

Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:20 am

It still burns me that Poles commited the unforgivable sin of paying a god damn running back. Swift better be top 3 this year.
Yep.
It's not that I don't like him as a player.
But (a) don't pay running backs unless they're healthy and elite and (b) we had a very, very effective run game going with a cheap, by committee approach. The need just wasn't there.

<hit quote to see the BR link>

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-fr ... rly-moves/
https://lastwordonsports.com/nfl/2024/0 ... s-of-2024/

Byard also got some downvotes.
They may have overpaid there, relative to a buyers market. But I'm less bothered by that one, given that they're paying less and getting a better player than last year. It's a step forward in all respects, even if it wasn't as efficient as it should have been.

But, overall, yes, if Caleb finds his stride by midseason, it could be a team people don't look forward to, for the first time in a while.
And yet many wanted Poles to sign Saquon Barkley for even more money. I don't believe I've ever seen Poles sign a player in FA there was no need to sign. Swift is a 3 down back which is more than we can say for Herbert. This is also Herbert's contract year and I have a feeling Poles would like to trade him.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Herbert has no trade value IMO, better keeping him as depth.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Tyson's photo is just screaming Lets put the Woman and Children to Bed and go looking for Dinner
Bearfacts
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:50 am Herbert has no trade value IMO, better keeping him as depth.
I wouldn't say he has no trade value. Poles can get pretty creative sometimes. Maybe he can be used to improve on a current position as opposed to accepting a 6th or 7th round pick for him. If there are no offers now wait 'til camps open and teams begin to lose players to injuries. Herbert is a proven NFL RB with a fairly high average YPC and breakaway speed.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:20 am
dplank wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:50 am Herbert has no trade value IMO, better keeping him as depth.
I wouldn't say he has no trade value. Poles can get pretty creative sometimes. Maybe he can be used to improve on a current position as opposed to accepting a 6th or 7th round pick for him. If there are no offers now wait 'til camps open and teams begin to lose players to injuries. Herbert is a proven NFL RB with a fairly high average YPC and breakaway speed.
When you start talking 6ths or 6th/7th Swaps - that is essentially no trade value in practice IMHO
cblaz11
MVP

We have last years starter who was better in a backup role back in a backup role..Why would we trade him? By adding Swift we upgraded RB1 and RB2…I don’t see the need to move Herbert