NIL and Underclassmen in Draft

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The NIL policy took effect in 2021. 128 underclassmen entered the draft following that season followed by 100 and 82 in succeeding ones. There are 58 in this year's draft. NIL is the cited as the reason for most of the guys althoughobviously not all as some are still entering the draft. It is possible that later rounds will be affected by less underclassmen entering the draft:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/nfl/2024/0 ... -nfl-draft

This year also sees an unusual number of older draftees because of players being granted extra eligilibilty because of COVID. Some players cite their extra maturity as selling points while others point to their age reducing the number of years they'll be able to play.
Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

For bottom of the roster guys, I would take the older players who did the 5th year. They more than likely are more mature and are willing to bust their ass. I really don't think they consider they will have 1 or 2 less years to play.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:10 am For bottom of the roster guys, I would take the older players who did the 5th year. They more than likely are more mature and are willing to bust their ass. I really don't think they consider they will have 1 or 2 less years to play.

At the bottom of the draft, you're not asking "Am I going to get 8-10 yrs out of this guy?", you're asking "Am I going to get anything out of this guy?"

The only flip side is if they didn't really produce anything until they were significantly older and more physically mature than their competition.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

When does the "catch up" happen?