The 2024 Draft

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:48 pm

There's that name again...
Here I am, working on my annual mock draft, and I mock him to the Falcons at #8 tryna surprise everyone and now it's spoiled.
dplank
Hall of Famer

If Poles thinks he’s the goods it works for me. I prefer one of the DEs but so long as it’s DL I’m happy.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

cblaz11 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:57 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:35 am

Foot problems with large men are as scary as knee problems for WR/RBs. They are typically chronic
I’m more nervous about Latu then Newton from an injury standpoint
I think I am as well. But part of that is I think you have to get Latu about 12 and you can get Newton early 20s. So maybe willing to risk that more since the cost isn't as high????
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:53 pm If Poles thinks he’s the goods it works for me. I prefer one of the DEs but so long as it’s DL I’m happy.
A rush package of Walker/Dexter/Murphy/Sweat is pretty nasty but I feel it makes Pickens kind of worthless.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

With the draft almost here, people are coming up with all sorts of ideas to get clicks

Bill Banrwell ESPN:

Bears get 1/14, 2/45 and Edge Payton Turner (forgotten about him '21 first round pick who has missed all but 15 games with injuries)
Saints get 1/9 and 3/75.

Don't know enough about Turner to give it a grade. Saints moving up to get the second OT off the board and want to get ahead of the Jets.

NFL.com

Bears get 1/32, 2/64, 4/131 and '25 first round pick
KC gets 1/9

KC moving up for Bowers who Jets have also been linked to.

I don't think I like trade at all. Next years 1st from them in a best case for the Bears would be about the 23rd overall pick.
G08
Hall of Famer

7 days away boys, can't wait!!!
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:51 pm 7 days away boys, can't wait!!!
Getting amped up for sure!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
G08
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm
G08 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:51 pm 7 days away boys, can't wait!!!
There's too many different ways this can go, it's driving me nuts!

WR, OT, EDGE, DT -- and I can make a valid argument for each position -- fucking hell
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

G08 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:59 pm
Hema2.0 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 pm

There's too many different ways this can go, it's driving me nuts!

WR, OT, EDGE, DT -- and I can make a valid argument for each position -- fucking hell
Thankfully it's pick 9 and not 2nd round. Whichever way it goes, it's gonna be a good player. If Poles can find a real contributor in the 3rd round, watch out!!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Magilla_Gorilla
Player of the Month

Love this technique.

G08
Hall of Famer

Magilla_Gorilla wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:23 pm Love this technique.

It's unique for sure... that being said, watching his "tape", I don't know what makes him special.

I see flashes of athleticism, but to take him #9 overall I need to see Aaron-Donald-level of burst/athleticism/get off.

Maybe we trade down to 12 or 14 and take him, I'd be happier with that than #9 overall.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

With a week to go I started thinking about what a few members of this board would truly give up to move from the first overall pick...
  • @The Marshall Plan: A wild weekend drinking and gambling in Vegas with Gardner Minshew and a signed pair of jorts as a momento.
  • @dplank: A night with Queen Latifa. (Actually make that two nights - dplank's a tough negotiator.)
  • @G08: A fortnight's romantic getaway in Mongolia, the country with the most goats per capita in the world.
  • @Arkansasbear: The right to insist that all children who appear before his court must be raised properly as Chicago Bears fans and to jail for life any parents daring to raise Packer fans.
  • @docc: A new champion to take his place guarding the Holy Grail. He's been doing it an awfully long time...
  • @Ditka's dictaphone: All his wild score-line predictions to come true this season so he wins Middleguard's competition.
  • @RichH55: The Marshall Plan, Yogi da Bear etc. to all take him off their ignore lists.
  • @wab: A day at a fairground... with Charles Leno and a dunk tank.
  • @UOK: A guarantee that there will never be any more squabbling on this forum and he'll never again have to lock a thread let alone suspend or ban anyone.
  • @HisRoyalSweetness: The NFL to announce the Bears will play a game in London each year instead of the flipping Jags.
G08
Hall of Famer

Arguing against myself:

G08
Hall of Famer

cblaz11
MVP

I actually agree with G08, I don’t see anything special. I think he’s going to be a good player, but I don’t see the twitch that a player of his size needs.

Honestly, I think Newton is better
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm With a week to go I started thinking about what a few members of this board would truly give up to move from the first overall pick...
  • @Ditka's dictaphone: All his wild score-line predictions to come true this season so he wins Middleguard's competition.
:lol: :clap: deal

This is my year! Look at our offense.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm With a week to go I started thinking about what a few members of this board would truly give up to move from the first overall pick...
  • @UOK: A guarantee that there will never be any more squabbling on this forum and he'll never again have to lock a thread let alone suspend or ban anyone.
You'd be surprised. I'd deal with any and all thread/forum nonsense for the rest of my life if it meant drafting a generational QB.
wulfy
MVP

I have too many bad memories of Chris Williams and Kevin White .... if the medicals aren't pristine, I'm passing in the first round (Latu and Newton are my concerns).

Separately, Trevor Sikkema of PFF was on with the CHGO crew yesterday and he loves Newton. A Top 10 pick for him. I've not heard anyone say that about Newton. Even if Newton was 100% healthy, I'd still opt for Murphy in a trade down.

Other analysts rankings:
Dane Brugler, The Athletic (Murphy 15, Newton 30)
Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network (Murphy 19, Newton 32)
Pro Football Focus Big Board (Murphy 9, Newton 11) (< ---- Sikkema)
Eric Edholm NFL.com (Murphy 10, Newton 37)
Field Yates ESPN (Murphy 15, Newton 30)
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am
You'd be surprised. I'd deal with any and all thread/forum nonsense for the rest of my life if it meant drafting a generational QB.
Perfect! We are drafting one in less than a week . Glad to know youre on board for the long haul. :D
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... s-fracture
Jones fractures usually require surgery, and have higher risks for complications than other types of foot fractures.
Refracture: Jones fractures have a higher risk of breaking again than other broken bones.

Kinda squeamish.
I'd only want in at a much lower price than where he'd go without it.

Obviously doctor examination matters enormously, but on my own, Latu bothers me less because he's played 2 years on it, with no issues.
Newton hasn't played since his. He gets toughness points for playing through it, but it also means "could he have fucked it up even worse?".
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:19 am
:lol: :clap: deal

This is my year! Look at our offense.
If that were to happen the draft was a good one for sure.
G08
Hall of Famer

Verse being picked inside the top 12 isn't out of the question. Evaluators are really enamored with his floor and the pro-readiness of his game. Because of Verse's reliability against the run and continued improvement as a pass-rusher, there are some teams that feel he's the best of the bunch at the position right now. With heavy hands, his ability to consistently set the edge is evident on tape. The steps that Verse has made since transferring to FSU from Albany have many believing that he's only going to continue to get better, too.
wulfy
MVP

I really like the idea of Verse in a trade down.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 am https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/d ... s-fracture
Jones fractures usually require surgery, and have higher risks for complications than other types of foot fractures.
Refracture: Jones fractures have a higher risk of breaking again than other broken bones.

Kinda squeamish.
I'd only want in at a much lower price than where he'd go without it.

Obviously doctor examination matters enormously, but on my own, Latu bothers me less because he's played 2 years on it, with no issues.
Newton hasn't played since his. He gets toughness points for playing through it, but it also means "could he have fucked it up even worse?".
I'm still very hinky on Latu.

Exhibit A: 2023 study on NFL neck injuries.
There is a high incidence of neck injuries among NFL athletes... Defensive players were more likely to sustain neck injuries compared to offensive players [with DBs most susceptible].
Exhibit B: Leighton Vander Esch, Damien Harris, and Daniel Jones just last year, plus more serious stories like Reggie Brown.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
wab
Mod

Latu is my favorite defensive player in the draft by a wide margin. But I'm honestly not interested in taking on an injury risk. If Turner is off the table and the Bears are targeting a DE, I'm fine with Verse.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yeah I know, but I had to come up with events even more inconceivable than the Bears trading the #1 pick! :D
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:24 pm Latu is my favorite defensive player in the draft by a wide margin. But I'm honestly not interested in taking on an injury risk. If Turner is off the table and the Bears are targeting a DE, I'm fine with Verse.
I like Latu a lot. I just don't expect that the Bears' medical team is comfortable with him.

If they are and he's drafted, I'll swallow hard and cross my fingers that they're right. Because he's a lot of fun to watch.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Bearfacts
MVP

G08 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:48 pm

There's that name again...
Glad you brought that up because I was about to. Murphy seems to be rising on quite a few boards and if a top three WR isn't on the board at #9 he's probably a guy Poles and Flus should look at very seriously. He's pretty much a pure 3 tech in the NFL but Texas also used him as a NT at times. That's a testament to his power which is also what set Aaron Donald apart from other DT.

I'll take the opposite stance from dplank. I believe Minny wants JJ McCarthy and will trade up for him not wanting to risk someone else doing it. AZ, LAC, and NYG are all potential trade up spots. At any rate how many QB are taken prior to pick #9 should directly impact whether or not a top three WR will still be there. So this will be the more interesting part of round one to follow.
UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm

Yeah I know, but I had to come up with events even more inconceivable than the Bears trading the #1 pick! :D
I'm a simple creature. If I somehow had the Bears #1 pick and somebody wanted it from me, all I would need is a shitload of money and they could have it.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So I didn't really have a guy that meets the definition of a "my guy" in this draft (later round guy you think can be special), but in reading some stuff I came across Bo Richter edge from Air Force.

I think I really like this guy. I always want to see guys that go to the service program succeed. If they are willing to do for what they are, I want them all to have great wonderful lives and careers.

I couldn't find a to highlights on him but there is this

Granted he isn't doing what he is doing while in the SEC, but the guy has a motor. Added bonus, he a Naperville grad and was at the local pro day. https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/ ... r-pro-day/

Still don't understand the rules as it relates to their service commitment and getting drafted.