R1 P1: Caleb Williams, QB - USC

College football and the NFL Draft

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

6'1" 218 lbs

ESPN: Williams is a fabulous playmaker, and there are "wow" throws all over his tape, even going back to his freshman season at Oklahoma. He's incredible escaping the pocket and making off-platform throws, excelling when plays break down. His improvisational skills are off the charts -- it's incredible how he can make the first defender miss and create first downs out of thin air. He has great field vision and throws dimes to receivers while under duress. He's incredibly creative, which is not something we can usually say of quarterbacks.

There are a million and one scouting reports. The guy is a Bear. The era has begun.

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Let’s go baby.
BreadNCircuses
Assistant Coach

The most unsurprising moment in recent memory
2023 Preseason Downside prediction:
5-6 wins, never really healthy all season, a constant shuffling.
We're potentially in a position to draft in the Top 5 again, depending on the Carolina team, and probably have a low-teens (or better) pick ourselves.
UOK
Site Admin

Heinz D.
MVP

Shocked. Who saw this coming?
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I haven’t been this excited about a bears QB since Jim McMahon.
Heinz D.
MVP

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:30 pm I haven’t been this excited about a bears QB since Jim McMahon.
Which means you're paying attention! :wink:
wab
Mod

I love how excited he was.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Some quoted excerpts from Bob McGinn's annual anony-scout quotes.
“I think Caleb has the best chance to bust but also has the best chance to be freakin’ special,” one scout said. “I think he’s boom or bust. There are plays he makes that are fantastic where he scrambles and throws 50 yards downfield for a touchdown. Then you look at that play and there are simpler options that he doesn’t see or ignored.”
“Obviously, it’s very similar to how (Patrick) Mahomes played at Texas Tech,” a second scout said. “He constantly is trying to hit the grand slam against just taking the single or the double. I have a hard time believing you can’t coach that out of him. Caleb is the most natural thrower of the four. Seventy yards in the air, arched on a dime. Effortless. Throwing moving to his right from his hip 25 yards downfield on a line. My biggest concern will be his height. It does look at times he struggles to see in the pocket. That’s why he likes to move. He just does things other guys can’t do. Blend that in with being able to play on time and he’s going to be outstanding.”
“The biggest chance for bust is if Caleb Williams goes to Chicago,” a third scout said. “It’s going to be a lot tougher than people think. He’s got a lot of talent but, wow, he’s had red carpet treatment since the 9th grade. This is getting ready to be a whole different deal. It’s the Chicago media, then the comparison. If (Justin) Fields goes and does anything in Pittsburgh it won’t play well. And the pressure … he ended up in the stands (clutching his mother at the Coliseum Nov. 4 after a loss to Washington) crying like a baby. For a lot of scouts that was a disqualifier. Then you got the painted fingernails, the cars, special treatment. He knows one offense, which you can write on one piece of paper, with Lincoln Riley. Of all those OU quarterbacks he’s the most gifted but none of them have really done it in the league. And Williams’ workout (at pro day) wasn’t godawful but just mediocre.”
According to one club official, his father, Carl, told him “it’s too windy in Chicago. Why should we go to Chicago when the open-air stadium is not a place Caleb will like?” Said the official: “You talk about self-serving, vicariously live through your son b.s. He needs to get away from his old man. … I like the kid. He gets a little caught up in the LA bullshit, but once he gets with somebody strong he’ll be fine. Because Lincoln Riley’s not a strong guy, either.”
“I’m going Jayden Daniels because I can’t get the f--king Notre Dame game out of my head,” a fifth scout said. “A lot of Caleb is when he’s just running around kind of being playground. He’s also kind of making it about myself.”
One of the scouts said Williams, who posted a 23-10 record as a starter, shouldn’t be thrust into the lineup immediately. “You better have the right offensive coordinator for him and do not rush him into the NFL,” he said. “In today’s football everybody wants to rush guys. Let him sit for a while. Let him process.”
An executive with an established quarterback has followed Williams from afar. “He just comes out with these things that are kind of spoiled and demanding,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s the people around him or what it is. Whether this is the case with him or not, when you get a guy that in his mind feels like you’re fortunate he’s there, it can come off that way and rub teammates the wrong way. I don’t know if he’s got that but he can’t come in with that. People are going to have to jell with him immediately. Because if they don’t, it might be an issue from a leadership standpoint.”
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
WagonForce
MVP

CBS grades the pick A- somehow.

I can’t wait to see Caleb QB for the Bears.
Heinz D.
MVP

thunderspirit wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:42 pm Some quoted excerpts from Bob McGinn's annual anony-scout quotes.
“I think Caleb has the best chance to bust but also has the best chance to be freakin’ special,” one scout said. “I think he’s boom or bust. There are plays he makes that are fantastic where he scrambles and throws 50 yards downfield for a touchdown. Then you look at that play and there are simpler options that he doesn’t see or ignored.”
“Obviously, it’s very similar to how (Patrick) Mahomes played at Texas Tech,” a second scout said. “He constantly is trying to hit the grand slam against just taking the single or the double. I have a hard time believing you can’t coach that out of him. Caleb is the most natural thrower of the four. Seventy yards in the air, arched on a dime. Effortless. Throwing moving to his right from his hip 25 yards downfield on a line. My biggest concern will be his height. It does look at times he struggles to see in the pocket. That’s why he likes to move. He just does things other guys can’t do. Blend that in with being able to play on time and he’s going to be outstanding.”
“The biggest chance for bust is if Caleb Williams goes to Chicago,” a third scout said. “It’s going to be a lot tougher than people think. He’s got a lot of talent but, wow, he’s had red carpet treatment since the 9th grade. This is getting ready to be a whole different deal. It’s the Chicago media, then the comparison. If (Justin) Fields goes and does anything in Pittsburgh it won’t play well. And the pressure … he ended up in the stands (clutching his mother at the Coliseum Nov. 4 after a loss to Washington) crying like a baby. For a lot of scouts that was a disqualifier. Then you got the painted fingernails, the cars, special treatment. He knows one offense, which you can write on one piece of paper, with Lincoln Riley. Of all those OU quarterbacks he’s the most gifted but none of them have really done it in the league. And Williams’ workout (at pro day) wasn’t godawful but just mediocre.”
According to one club official, his father, Carl, told him “it’s too windy in Chicago. Why should we go to Chicago when the open-air stadium is not a place Caleb will like?” Said the official: “You talk about self-serving, vicariously live through your son b.s. He needs to get away from his old man. … I like the kid. He gets a little caught up in the LA bullshit, but once he gets with somebody strong he’ll be fine. Because Lincoln Riley’s not a strong guy, either.”
“I’m going Jayden Daniels because I can’t get the f--king Notre Dame game out of my head,” a fifth scout said. “A lot of Caleb is when he’s just running around kind of being playground. He’s also kind of making it about myself.”
One of the scouts said Williams, who posted a 23-10 record as a starter, shouldn’t be thrust into the lineup immediately. “You better have the right offensive coordinator for him and do not rush him into the NFL,” he said. “In today’s football everybody wants to rush guys. Let him sit for a while. Let him process.”
An executive with an established quarterback has followed Williams from afar. “He just comes out with these things that are kind of spoiled and demanding,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s the people around him or what it is. Whether this is the case with him or not, when you get a guy that in his mind feels like you’re fortunate he’s there, it can come off that way and rub teammates the wrong way. I don’t know if he’s got that but he can’t come in with that. People are going to have to jell with him immediately. Because if they don’t, it might be an issue from a leadership standpoint.”
Oh no! I should be sad now?
Hero
Player of the Month

LET'S GO BROCK! LET'S GO BROCK! LET'S GO BROCK! LET'S GO BROCK!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

does anyone know if the nfl pro shop takes returns?

G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:33 pm I love how excited he was.
He looked like a fucking BADASS walking to the stage.

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 pm
wab wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:33 pm I love how excited he was.

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!
You need to update your avatar again. Caleb's going to wear #18.

How about this?

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Bearfacts
MVP

BreadNCircuses wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:22 pm The most unsurprising moment in recent memory
Really.....I was shocked. :rofl:
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Heinz D. wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:45 pm
Oh no! I should be sad now?
I mean, if you want. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 pm
G08 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:21 pm

CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!!!

How about this?

Where you hearing about #18?
wab
Mod

I still think they give Williams 13. Unless he actually prefers 18 that is.
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:03 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:23 pm

How about this?

bears announced it on their twitter
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Rusty Trombagent wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 pm
Arkansasbear wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:03 pm
bears announced it on their twitter
Thanks.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I posted the Twitter link above.

I couldn't embed it because if you clicked on the play button it just opened a link to the merch.

Here it is: https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status ... 5737720935
VA_Mountain_Bear
Crafty Veteran

I am so stoked right now I can't believe it! What will happen I domn't know, but I've watched all of his college games now, and I don't think we've ever drafted a better prospect.
wab
Mod

I would love for the Bears to get an edge rusher at 75, but I’m so happy right now I don’t even care.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:29 pm I would love for the Bears to get an edge rusher at 75, but I’m so happy right now I don’t even care.
I agree
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.