TV Shows

Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs/Sox, & general discussion

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Some recent shows I’ve tried, looking for Recommendations from you all!

Fallout - Meh, disappointed
Hacks Season 3 - Excellent
Them - Excellent!
This Fool - corny but loved it
Brothers Sun - Excellent
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I could use some recommendations too. Mind you the only streaming service I have is Netflix. I had Amazon Prime for a while, but aside from Jack Ryan and Reacher I couldn't find anything else I was interested in seeing. I can't be bothered paying for lots of services if I'm barely going to use them. NFL Game Pass is expensive enough!

On Netflix:
  • Bodies - Excellent
  • Who Is Erin Carter - Entertaining, but far-fetched
  • Fool Me Once - An adaptation of an American book but strangely converted to a UK setting, which doesn't really work because people over here don't tend to own handguns and have gun safes in their homes to keep them in!
  • The Stranger - From 2020 so not really recent but a decent thriller with a good cast
I see Netflix has recently acquired Life On Mars (the original not the American version), which is a fantastic series. They don't have the sequel series Ashes To Ashes though, which is a shame as together they form a complete story. They might be less appealing to an American audience though due to all the cultural references to 1970s and 1980s Britain.

UK TV feels likes its been in a slump for a few years now. Primetime on the main channels is dominated by the same few tired old shows that have been running for donkey's years and the few new dramas all seem to have a similar vibe and rely on glaringly improbable scenarios. I'm currently watching one called Red Eye starring Richard Armitage (he's in a couple of those aforementioned Netflix shows and played Thorin, the lead dwarf, in the Hobbit movies). He plays a doctor who arrives back in the UK from a conference in Beijing and is immediately extradited back to China on trumped up charges with no legal recourse. When people then start dying aboard the plane it still doesn't divert and land but continues on its merry way to China. It's all so ridiculous!

Mediocre thrillers are a dime-a-dozen these days. I guess I'd just like something different, something inventive, something original.

To be honest I'm just hanging on for the return of Cobra Kai on 18 July. Apparently the final season is going to be 15 episodes rather than the usual 10 and will drop in batches of 5, with the second set at the end of November and the final 5 next year.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

For anyone who's missed it, the first 5 episodes of the final series of the greatest show in the last decade is now on Netflix: