Stroud criticizing Rodgers

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Umbali
MVP

Only posting this cus I LOVE anyone criticizing Rodgers lol

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootba ... on-rodgers

Most hot takes about the NFL come from people not currently playing in it. Texans quarterback C.J. Stroud is at the cutting edge of a new dynamic — active players who are willing to speak their mind about other active players.

Appearing on the Million Dollaz Worth of Game podcast, Stroud offered a frank assessment regarding the completed career of Eli Manning and the soon-to-be-concluded run of Aaron Rodgers. Stroud said he would rather have Manning’s career.

“You want the rings, dog,” Stroud said, via USA Today. “Eli got two.”

But it goes deeper than rings.

“You know what I think it is?” Stroud said, via JetsXFactor.com. “I’ve talked to Tom Brady, about this because he’s a good mentor to me. . . . What he told me is his teammates, and how he treats his teammates. And that’s where I think it falls off. We don’t know how Aaron Rodgers treats his teammates, but you can guarantee that Tom Brady treats his teammates right because how he got those rings.”

Stroud also said that another quarterback who, like Rodgers, has one ring, might have won even more with Rodgers’s supporting cast.

“If you give Matthew Stafford a chance like Aaron Rodgers had, I guarantee you he might have had more rings,” Stroud said. “I think he would have like three or four.”

Stroud tried to tread somewhat lightly on the teammate issue, especially since we’ve picked up some anecdotal evidence over the years regarding Rodgers’s relationships with teammates and others in his inner circle. Greg Jennings and Jermichael Finley, for example, have been candid. And even though Stroud opted for something less than full candor, he surely said more than enough to catch the ear of the notoriously sensitive New York quarterback.

Rodgers undoubtedly will find a way to respond. He won’t be able to help himself.

This hurts more than usual criticism because the call is coming from inside the house. Rodgers can’t brush off Stroud’s words as those of a hater who never accomplished anything in sports. He’ll have to meet Stroud on the merits, unless he can come up with another way to dismiss Stroud’s assessment.

Meanwhile, the Texans face the Jets on Halloween night, in New York. Hopefully, C.J. will be wearing an Eli Manning jersey as he walks into the stadium.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
Heinz D.
MVP

My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Stroud sounds like a total moron.
Umbali
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:37 pm Stroud sounds like a total moron.
So he sounds like a moron because he has heard the talk of Rodgers not being a good team mate and he prioritized rings over individual honors?

I looked at it again and cant find a reason why you would conclude he is a total moron.

Elis career vs Rodgers? Yah we would all say talent wise Rodgers was better but 2 rings are better than 1 and both came against the GOAT lol.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Umbali wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:42 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:37 pm Stroud sounds like a total moron.
So he sounds like a moron because he has heard the talk of Rodgers not being a good team mate and he prioritized rings over individual honors?

I looked at it again and cant find a reason why you would conclude he is a total moron.

Elis career vs Rodgers? Yah we would all say talent wise Rodgers was better but 2 rings are better than 1 and both came against the GOAT lol.
There's a lot to unpack here with why Rodgers only has one ring.

In summary, the Packers never built around him. Had they done so, he'd have several rings.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Heinz D. wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:31 pm Image
Gotta love Ryan George and those Pitch Meetings! :D
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:43 pm
Umbali wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:42 pm So he sounds like a moron because he has heard the talk of Rodgers not being a good team mate and he prioritized rings over individual honors?

In summary, the Packers never built around him. Had they done so, he'd have several rings.
Defending Aaron Rodgers?

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:41 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:43 pm

Defending Aaron Rodgers?

I decided to have a fun evening and in two hours I watched every game of his going back to 2010.
Umbali
MVP

Lets please return to our blind hatred and disdain for Rodgers. No logic here please :P
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

The packers could never afford to keep most of their FAs with Rodgers always wanting more money. They did their best to try and keep Adams there, but they couldn’t afford both Adams and Rodgers. They were always drafting to replace key pieces leaving off the defense and o line.

Brady achieved a great legacy by taking smaller market contracts and helping to keep more guys around him.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
LacertineForest
MVP

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:54 am The packers could never afford to keep most of their FAs with Rodgers always wanting more money. They did their best to try and keep Adams there, but they couldn’t afford both Adams and Rodgers. They were always drafting to replace key pieces leaving off the defense and o line.

Brady achieved a great legacy by taking smaller market contracts and helping to keep more guys around him.
Pretty sure Adams has said the Packers offered more money than the Raiders, he just wanted to play in LV with Carr. Rodgers has earned a lot of money over the years and definitely could have helped himself out by taking less, but it seems to me like the Packers' philosophy of just never bringing in free agents was their biggest problem.
dplank
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:45 am
Atkins&Rebel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:54 am The packers could never afford to keep most of their FAs with Rodgers always wanting more money. They did their best to try and keep Adams there, but they couldn’t afford both Adams and Rodgers. They were always drafting to replace key pieces leaving off the defense and o line.

Pretty sure Adams has said the Packers offered more money than the Raiders, he just wanted to play in LV with Carr. Rodgers has earned a lot of money over the years and definitely could have helped himself out by taking less, but it seems to me like the Packers' philosophy of just never bringing in free agents was their biggest problem.
They sorta go hand in hand tho. If Rogers refused to take less, that impacts their ability to bring in FA's and sign their other high cost talent. He's no Tom Brady, and while he will retire as a clear HOF player the lack of rings speaks for itself...his legacy is "great regular season player, post season choker, and personality of a weirdo".
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not sure I see this as criticizing. I see it as telling the truth.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Pack doesn't (or didn't) bring in many FAs, preferring to build through the draft. But they had excellent regular season offenses which pretty much sputtered out in the post-season except for their one SB with Erin. They didn't draft offensive players highly but Rodgers did elevate the play of his WRs in the regular season. Gotta say, though, I loved the comments.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Packers drafted Rodgers in 2005.

At no point between then and when they drafted Jordan Love in the first round in 2020 did they draft a skill player on offense.

QBs earn money. They get big contracts. It's what they do. They shouldn't be faulted for that.

At the same time, it's the GM's job to give the QB a support system that helps make him successful.

Compare and contrast this to what Poles did.

Caleb Williams was a Bear for what(?) 90 minutes and Ryan Poles drafted a better support system in Odunze than Green Bay ever did for Rodgers in over a decade.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:33 pm

At no point between then and when they drafted Jordan Love in the first round in 2020 did they draft a skill player on offense.

QBs earn money. They get big contracts. It's what they do. They shouldn't be faulted for that.

At the same time, it's the GM's job to give the QB a support system that helps make him successful.

Caleb Williams was a Bear for what(?) 90 minutes and Ryan Poles drafted a better support system in Odunze than Green Bay ever did for Rodgers in over a decade.
So I actually agree with your premise kind of.

However the without looking it up. They drafted Adams in the second. Jordyn Nelson in the second. Gregg Jennings I don't know what round. They have also gotten a few okay running backs over those years. They haf first round production.

That said I've always thought their drafting for Roger's was poor and several of their players were over rated. A lot of the linemen sucked but got labeled good because of his skill in the pocket.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:33 pm

To some degree, when you've got a supreme talent and supreme cap space sink at QB, you have to expect them to carry the offense with somewhat less than 50% of the remaining resource.
But they took that to a pretty crazy extreme.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Pack probably didn’t add around Rodgers like they should have and/or if better coach than McCarthy probably more rings, not going down that rabbit hole. Smart or stupid I appreciate Stroud being candid as it’s refreshing.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

really?

he looks upon Tom Brady as a mentor for his leadership and disses Aaron Rodgers as an arrogant under-achiever ... sounds like a pretty smart guy to me
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Boris13c wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:08 am
really?

he looks upon Tom Brady as a mentor for his leadership and disses Aaron Rodgers as an arrogant under-achiever ... sounds like a pretty smart guy to me
Wait a minute.

I don’t recognize you.

Tell me….what is your name?

LacertineForest
MVP

I find it a little odd, personally, that Stroud would talk about specific situations regarding currently active players. I would have thought he could have made the point without naming names (if he's being mentored by Brady, he certainly isn't in the PR department), as it just doesn't seem like there's any value in being critical of another guy - unless there's some kind of beef there that we don't know about.

I also think it's funny what standard we are holding Rodgers to. He has a winning playoff record (12-10) and only 13 other QBs in the entire history of the game have won more super bowls than him, yet he's seen as a "failure" or underachiever because he couldn't quite live up to his gaudy in-season performances. As a Bears fan, I enjoy piling on him (especially after he's revealed just how nuts-o he is), but it's hard for me to think of him as a failure or even underachiever. If Williams only ever ends up as much of an underachiever as Rodgers, I will still gladly take that one SB win and years of kicking the crap out of the rest of the division.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I think it’s very naive to criticise Rodgers when you’re coming off your rookie season.

When you’ve had circa 18 years in NFL and lots of MVPs and a ring, then you don’t expect some rookie who’s had a good year to be calling you out.

Someone needs to help Stroud with his media work.
Imagine if he bombs next season and basically does a Trubisky. He’ll look like a total moron then.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:03 pm I think it’s very naive to criticise Rodgers when you’re coming off your rookie season.

When you’ve had circa 18 years in NFL and lots of MVPs and a ring, then you don’t expect some rookie who’s had a good year to be calling you out.

Someone needs to help Stroud with his media work.
Imagine if he bombs next season and basically does a Trubisky. He’ll look like a total moron then.
Counter point: Fuck Aaron Rodgers
thunderspirit
Head Coach

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:54 am I find it a little odd, personally, that Stroud would talk about specific situations regarding currently active players. I would have thought he could have made the point without naming names (if he's being mentored by Brady, he certainly isn't in the PR department), as it just doesn't seem like there's any value in being critical of another guy - unless there's some kind of beef there that we don't know about.

I also think it's funny what standard we are holding Rodgers to. He has a winning playoff record (12-10) and only 13 other QBs in the entire history of the game have won more super bowls than him, yet he's seen as a "failure" or underachiever because he couldn't quite live up to his gaudy in-season performances. As a Bears fan, I enjoy piling on him (especially after he's revealed just how nuts-o he is), but it's hard for me to think of him as a failure or even underachiever. If Williams only ever ends up as much of an underachiever as Rodgers, I will still gladly take that one SB win and years of kicking the crap out of the rest of the division.
I readily acknowledge that Rodgers has been an excellent HoF-worthy NFL QB, and still think he's a colossal douche canoe.
dplank wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:01 pm Counter point: Fuck Aaron Rodgers
This.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Umbali wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:19 am Lets please return to our blind hatred and disdain for Rodgers. No logic here please :P
This is exactly how I feel.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

LacertineForest wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:54 am I find it a little odd, personally, that Stroud would talk about specific situations regarding currently active players. I would have thought he could have made the point without naming names (if he's being mentored by Brady, he certainly isn't in the PR department), as it just doesn't seem like there's any value in being critical of another guy - unless there's some kind of beef there that we don't know about.

I suppose that in the same way how Michael Jordan could save this planet from an asteroid impact that Knicks, Jazz, and well pretty much the entire league would still hate him.

Some people are just like Aaron Rodgers = Something Bad and it's because he kicked our ass for a decade or more.

Objectively speaking the guy is a super elite QB. IDK where he ranks all time. Top 10 or 7? Just guessing, but it's way up there.

I would've killed to have had him as our QB during that time. If Caleb Williams winds up being 75% of what Rodgers is / was we're going to win multiple Super Bowls with the way Poles is building around him.

Then Rodgers gets bonus points for dating that Blu woman. She looked fun as hell.