New Kickoff Strategy

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Chiefs have reserved the use of their FG kicker to just PATs and FGs, he doesn't do kickoffs anymore. The Bears reportedly are considering such a move with Santos. Would they give the Australian boomer that job?
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Taylor's already confirmed he's involved and looking forward to it, but wouldn't say any more. At the very least they're experimenting with using him. If his skills kicking the ball out of his hand can translate to kicking off a tee he could be awesome. Eberflus has already mentioned his bag of "trick shots". One of the keys is going to be trying to ensure the ball doesn't go into the end zone, which is a big shift from the old rule.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

If the Crocodile Punter is doing kickoffs also that will make me like the pick more. Hope he can bust out those trick shots
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:05 pm Hope he can bust out those trick shots
Here's an exclusive look at a couple of plays from Hightower's new KO playbook:

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I've seen whispers floating around about STCs considering using position players, so that they can drop the hammer tackling, without worrying about them getting hurt.

https://sportsnaut.com/kansas-city-chie ... -kickoffs/

The #Chiefs have considered not using Harrison Butker for all kickoffs and instead using a player like safety Justin Reid.
Special teams coordinator Dave Toub said the new kickoff rule has kickers more involved in tackles, and they don't want that for Butker.

I saw a quote where Hightower was being coy about it, but can't find it right now.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

Given Taylor's size vs Santos' size getting Taylor involved on kickoffs makes a whole lot of sense. I would prefer we not risk a 5'8"/175lb PK in coverage.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:16 pm I've seen whispers floating around about STCs considering using position players, so that they can drop the hammer tackling, without worrying about them getting hurt.

https://sportsnaut.com/kansas-city-chie ... -kickoffs/

The #Chiefs have considered not using Harrison Butker for all kickoffs and instead using a player like safety Justin Reid.
Special teams coordinator Dave Toub said the new kickoff rule has kickers more involved in tackles, and they don't want that for Butker.

I saw a quote where Hightower was being coy about it, but can't find it right now.
I missed it on the original reading but the Chiefs are using a positional player who can also tackle for that role. So are are there any position players for the job?

Was reading the kickoff rules, I think if Taylor got the job, he doesn't have to use a tee.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Excellent job by the NFL here creating interest in a part of the game that had lost any meaning whatsoever...
Heinz D.
MVP

dplank wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:15 pm Excellent job by the NFL here creating interest in a part of the game that had lost any meaning whatsoever...
While reducing injuries, as well.
My mother's love was inexplicably linked to kickball.
malk
Head Coach

Bearfacts wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:37 pm Given Taylor's size vs Santos' size getting Taylor involved on kickoffs makes a whole lot of sense. I would prefer we not risk a 5'8"/175lb PK in coverage.
I think fair enough given kickers haven't really ever trained to tackle in the past but it does make me laugh when this comes up. Tackling someone 25lbs heavier than you just isn't that hard lol. It'd be one thing if you needed to put them back on their arse but just make a form tackle, hit the hip, wrap the legs, done. As long as it isn't on the goal line I'd much rather go up against a bigger/slower player than a smaller/quicker one. Like, I wouldn't like to have to stop Jerome Bettis on 3rd and 2 but if it was a kickoff return at midfield I'd much rather he was coming towards me than Hester!

Anyway, putting aside my short king beefs for now... Taylor does seem like the better option here, I know he played some Aussie Rules but would be interested to know whether he played any Rugby League as a kid, those boys really know how to tackle!
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
dplank
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:21 pm
Bearfacts wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:37 pm Given Taylor's size vs Santos' size getting Taylor involved on kickoffs makes a whole lot of sense. I would prefer we not risk a 5'8"/175lb PK in coverage.
I think fair enough given kickers haven't really ever trained to tackle in the past but it does make me laugh when this comes up. Tackling someone 25lbs heavier than you just isn't that hard lol. It'd be one thing if you needed to put them back on their arse but just make a form tackle, hit the hip, wrap the legs, done. As long as it isn't on the goal line I'd much rather go up against a bigger/slower player than a smaller/quicker one. Like, I wouldn't like to have to stop Jerome Bettis on 3rd and 2 but if it was a kickoff return at midfield I'd much rather he was coming towards me than Hester!

Anyway, putting aside my short king beefs for now... Taylor does seem like the better option here, I know he played some Aussie Rules but would be interested to know whether he played any Rugby League as a kid, those boys really know how to tackle!
I would be shocked if he didn’t play any rugby
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 12:04 pm Was reading the kickoff rules, I think if Taylor got the job, he doesn't have to use a tee.
I believe that only applies to kicks following a safety, not kick offs.

The only other mention of tees is this:
If conditions cause ball to fall off tee twice, then kicker will be allowed to use kicking stick to keep the ball in place. The closest covering official will pick up the stick immediately after the kick.
Bearfacts
Head Coach

I think we'd have every reason to believe that Hightower will give Taylor a shot at handing kickoffs during camp. We're probably gonna see far more squib kicks and low bouncing kicks than we ever have before and like punts placement will matter. That's Taylor's game.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

Linebackers kicking off, quarterbacks returning kicks, kickers on the bench. What’s next cats and dogs living together, pandemonium.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:01 pm Linebackers kicking off, quarterbacks returning kicks, kickers on the bench. What’s next cats and dogs living together, pandemonium.
Things will be fine as long as we don't end up with a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man at left tackle... again.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:01 pm Linebackers kicking off, quarterbacks returning kicks, kickers on the bench. What’s next cats and dogs living together, pandemonium.
malk
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:36 pm
malk wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:21 pm

I would be shocked if he didn’t play any rugby
He might not have done, or at least not much. Melbourne, well Victoria as a whole isn't a big rugby league area. AFL is absolutely dominant there. They only got a pro team in the year Taylor was born which speaks volumes. Still, AFL is physical enough and he's a big dude. I very much doubt he'll be shy of putting a hit on someone if need be.

Though I should always point out, I genuinely can't imagine what it must be like to tackle someone wearing NFL pads. The bulk, the extra mass, the way you don't hurt yourself after levelling someone. Drilling that into genuinely good form won't come easy when he's concentrating on his craft as a punter.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

malk wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:54 pm He might not have done, or at least not much. Melbourne, well Victoria as a whole isn't a big rugby league area. AFL is absolutely dominant there. They only got a pro team in the year Taylor was born which speaks volumes. Still, AFL is physical enough and he's a big dude. I very much doubt he'll be shy of putting a hit on someone if need be.

Though I should always point out, I genuinely can't imagine what it must be like to tackle someone wearing NFL pads. The bulk, the extra mass, the way you don't hurt yourself after levelling someone. Drilling that into genuinely good form won't come easy when he's concentrating on his craft as a punter.
He talks a bit about the differences between the NFL and AFL here: viewtopic.php?p=386714#p386714
Arkansasbear
Hall of Famer

I wonder how many UDFA have contacted their old college/high school coaches trying to get pointers on kicking?